Start by marking “Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)

Prince of Hearts

(The Elders and Welders Chronicles #1)

Prince of Hearts: A Victorian Steampunk Romance

London: 1896. Airships rule the skies, and automatons run the tracks at Ascot. Since the Great Exhibition of 1851, Her Majesty’s Empire has been powered by the Steam Revolution and Welding science. It is a time of glorious innovation and dangerous civil unrest.

But Miss Aline Finch, prim, plain career girl, has more important
Published June 9th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Prince of Hearts, please sign up.
Margaret Foxe I would call them interlocking novels. The books remain in the same universe, but each one focuses on a different H/h pairing. Characters recur as…moreI would call them interlocking novels. The books remain in the same universe, but each one focuses on a different H/h pairing. Characters recur as well, so the secondary characters of one book might become the main pairing for the next, or the main pairing for one book become secondary characters for another. Each book has a self contained plot, but the whole series is also working towards a larger plot, which will eventually culminate in the last book.(less)
Margaret Foxe
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Nefertiti's Heart by A.W. ExleyPrince of Hearts by Margaret FoxeHatshepsut's Collar by A.W. ExleyA Dark Heart by Margaret FoxeShadows of Asphodel by Karen Kincy
Indie Steampunk
112 books — 92 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
1,027 books — 4,294 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
Sh3lly

The year is 1896-ish. In this version of England, we have automatons, people who have their bodies modified and are part machine, dirigibles, and other steampunk identifiers. However, to me, this read more like an historical romance (which was a pleasant surprise).

Aline Finch is a virginal thirty year old who is the secretary of The Professor (Sasha). She's feisty, yet prim and proper, a "gently-bred woman." So anyway, this is about their romance. But someone is trying to kill Aline, so there is
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Steampunk, but not annoyingly so. I think why it's not annoying is because neither of the characters is "enhanced." Enhanced is the word used for people with iron enhancements. Almost everyone has an Iron Necklace, which is a breathing apparatus that keeps people alive after the Fog descended and killed people after a war in the Crimea. After the Iron Necklace, people get enhancements to fix things or beautify. Finch, the female mc, has an allergy that makes any enhancement impossible and the ...more
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
3.5 Steam Heart Stars!

He'd killed for her, and he was afraid he'd do so again and again until his father's blood boiled like lava through his veins, and he'd drown in the darkness...
She'd made him love her, and he hated her for it.

I've never ventured into reading steampunk, but this book was good and not so heavy on the "steampunk".

Prince of Hearts, was a cute book, the heroine was quirky, funny and head over heels in love with the hero, even though she was loathe to admit it. Finch, is
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
Reread February 2018 -

I loved this just as much second time around as I did first. These two have some very amusing banter. But by far when Professor Romanov really sees Finch for the first time is my favourite part, the author wrote his shock so well.

Original review -

4.5

I ADORED THIS BOOK

description

This popped up when I was looking at something completely different and after reading the description I decided to give it a go. I'm trying to broaden my reading choices past just fluffy sex books. Now I'm sat
mich
3.5 stars!

This book was soooo fun! The world-building is cool and the creativity of it came close to what I think of Meljean Brook’s Iron Seas world. The heroine is a little miss prim and proper but with a feisty side and is just all around freakin adorable. I liked the hero as well, although his characterization seemed a little whacky sometimes. (view spoiler)
Ursula
2.5 stars.

This could have been really good. If only the heroine had not been quite so door-mattish. So plain and unattractive (and this was emphasised ad nauseum) So badly dressed (had she no self-respect?) If only the hero had not been quite so damaged. So filled with self-loathing. So oddly dumb. So fantastically beautiful-looking that the contrast with her unattractiveness was too stark.

I did enjoy the story, and the concept was cool. I like the way this author writes and have read her HR
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Miss Aline Finch it determined to hand in her two week resignation to her handsome, dashing and thoroughly irritating boss, Professor Romanov. She is to be married to her fiancee and Charlie and move with him so he can continue his archaeology studies in Egypt. However, there is much more to the the Professor than there appears and now that he is faced with the prospect of a life without the very prim and proper Miss Finch he realises he never wants to let her go...especially when a danger
Melindeeloo
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars - No blurb this time around because the official one does a good job of laying out the story. I really liked Prince of Hearts, the first book in the Elders and Welders series, which has a nice steampunk Victorian era backdrop and a world that includes some paranormal-ish elements. Plus the writing had a nice fun energy to it.

I liked both the great quirky leading lady, and the gorgeous immortal leading man with a tormented past that makes him feel he's a monster. There was good tension
Nick Pageant
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Wow! Steampunk is not something I came to on my own. I was forced into it by a creative writing instructor who said I needed to broaden my horizons. I've loved it ever since and this book is a great example of why everyone should give the genre a try. There's just enough history, just enough sexy, and just enough suspense. Loved it.
Kara-karina
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A light, fun, very enjoyable and pretty steamy read, ladies and gents! I will definitely recommend this to any fans of steampunk romance.

I only heard about Margaret Foxe last December and I confess that her marvellous cover swayed my opinion into buying and reading the book almost immediately. The main hero being a Russian prince was just a big, fat bonus point. *grinning*

The plot is essentially an easy to follow murder mystery slash romance, the world-building is thorough, but what really got
Aura
I picked up this book because of my recent participation in Steampunk Day at a local museum. I was a bit wary of this, because I don't typically like historicals. I was relieved to discover that this was far from historical!

This book starts off with adventure. I really loved Finch. She's a perfect, mousy, mess! She has no sense of fashion, she's sassy, wears her glasses like armor, she's bookish and smart. I just loved the endearing messiness of her.

And Sasha...he's something. Gotta swoon for a
Gofita
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Finally! A romance I can sink my teeth into and enjoy the sexy times along with the story! I love me some Victorian paranormal steampunk romance. OK, this is the only one I've read and I'm hooked.

It still has some romance dualism that I don't like aka brutish alpha male and clutzy-always-needing-saving-damsel-in-distress. But! Foxe brought some nuances to our two love-birds and I appreciated it. Sasha and Finch were fun, fun, fun.

I'm pretty impressed when I can get some good sexy times and a
Hillary Hunt
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When something hits the spot, you can't always articulate why it's just what you needed. Sometimes there aren't words. So just imagine the moan that you might hear if you caught someone (me) stealing an illicit spoonful of nutella from the jar. That sound about summarizes my feeling for this book.

Look, I love romance, but I am also pretty picky about it. A lot of it can't get past my jaded, cynical heart. Or, all too often, it upsets my feminist sensibilities. But this book just hit all the
Casey Harvell
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
10 out of 10 stars
(Seriously- like twelve out of ten, it’s THAT good!)

I absolutely couldn’t get enough of this book. Anyone who loves a good steampunk romance should not miss out on this. The entire concept was brilliant, with the awesome historical aspects weaved throughout (like Jack the Ripper!) and morphed into a fictional story with incredible machines and cyborg type creatures.
We meet Aline Finch, an overworked personal assistant with a penchant for gambling and a desire for adventure. She
Keri
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am soooo kicking myself right now for a couple of reasons: 1. I waited way to long to pick this freakin awesome book up off my TBR mountain and 2. I can't go get the rest of the backlist right now because of my new years resolution. I made a resolution not to buy anything other than 2018 published books, otherwise whatever I read has to come out of my TBR to read. Because I wanted to pair down my TBR...what the hell was I thinking??? Now I have to wait until the backlist comes up on my ...more
Alexandria
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, brilliant book. Absolutely one of the best steampunks I've read in a long while. The only concern I had was that the antagonist was a little easy to discern. But regardless of having a good idea of who the villain was, there was never a boring moment in this book.

Solid characters, just the right touch of romance, and a smattering of humor; it was damn near flawless conglomeration. I don't think I could have ask for more. 5 stars.
Iza
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Mmmm... To be honest, I haven't read that many steampunk novels, so I don't have much to compare this book with. I enjoyed reading it, but it felt a little... light. The characters didn't have much depth and I've read the likes of them before. However, it was an easy, ice read, and I'm probably being too harsh about it, so...
I'm not tempted to read the rest of the series, but others will certainly adore it.
Celina
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars! A teeny bit slow to start off but when it gets interesting - it gets interesting quick! A splendid combination of my most favourite things - Steampunk, Egyptian mythology and sexy, passionate LoVe!
Clarissa Asha
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was amazing! Steampunk Romance Fans, read this NOW!!!
Ashley
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars!

I don't even remember how I stumbled upon this gem, all I remember is reading the opening lines, and suddenly I was reading the last page of the book. Amazing how that happens :P

The characters, Professor Romanov and Aline, were well written. They, quite frankly, made this book for me. Their banter, the slow burn romance, everything. Absolutely everything.

I will say the world building was very limiting. There was so much potential to explore so many of the little details. But, the
Corinne
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-sci-fi
Review originally published on http://www.TracingTheStars.com

This, ladies and gentlemen, was my very first steampunk novel. Though I'm still acclimating to the steampunk genre, this book was fantastic on so many wonderful levels that it could have probably been about shifters (a genre I absolutely loathe) and I still would have given it five stars. Though not perfect, and it did induce a few eye-roll moments, it hit my key factors for a five star rating: excellent characters, excellent romance,
Borderstar
24/12/2013 - having a re-read of this prior to reading book 2 in the series, A Dark Heart. I forgot how much I loved this book! :) This is a definite favourite - I don't think I will grow tired of reading this one. I love Aline and Sasha as individual characters and together.

-----------------

4.5 stars - I REALLY enjoyed this, just a bit light on the world-building for me to give 5 stars, but a definite favourite. Just by chance I saw a review in my recent updates on this book and thought I would
Jenna
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
There is something truly wonderful about an author who knows how to write a scene. No, don't laugh at me! I can hear those snorts of derision at even the suggestion that some authors can't write a scene. Well, it's true. Some authors can't write a scene. I'm sorry, but it's the truth and someone has to say it.

Fortunately, Margaret Foxe knows how to write a scene. Prince of Hearts, book one in the Elders and Welders Chronicles is a Victorian steampunk romance. Sprinkled with a hearty dose of
Elaine White
Book – Prince of Hearts (Elders and Welders Chronicles #1)
Author – Margaret Foxe
Star rating -
Plot – very well planned and executed
Characters – very diverse and relatable

Movie Potential -
Ease of reading – very ease to read.
Cover -
Suitable Title -
Would I read it again – Yes

**I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK, BY THE AUTHOR, IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW**

This is my first steampunk book, ever! I have to say that it doesn't disappoint.

I was drawn into this book right from the very beginning. It gripped my
Under the Covers Book Blog
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it

Vicky
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Foxe has created a world in the 'Elders and Welders' series that is highly imaginative - seductively fantastical, yet compellingly familiar. Set in a Victorianesque, post steam revolution World, a new welded generation lives unknowingly amidst older, and stranger creatures - vampires and elders (made immortal by their da Vinci hearts).
The story focuses on the relationship between Aline, a secretary and secret "penny dreadful' author, and Sasha, her temprememtal and mysterious boss.
Foxe's novel
Cheesecake
Nicely done Steam Punk, this story fluctuated between 3&4 stars as I read but was a definite 4 by the end.
Aline Finch is a stuffy, dowdy little woman who works for the narcissistic, demanding Professor of Criminology, Augustus Romanov (aka Sasha). She's worked for him for 5 Loooooong years and is ready to quit with a vengeance. But there's a lot to the Professor that she doesn't know and there are those who would use her connection to him for evil.
The first half had me riveted, but it got
Sally Jo
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Steampunk and romance fans
What a great find! I was getting heartily bored with many of my go-to genres in books... they were just feeling a lot like the same book with different names. Then I got my hands on this book. Victorian Steampunk Romance... hallelujah, a cure for the blahs! I should point out that there is more to this book than just the romance between Aline and Romanov (though the romance was amazing- loved the H/h, funny and smart and always interesting), there is a mystery as well, and an extremely detailed ...more
Chelsea
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Anna
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I think this may be one of the most unfortunate names for a novel I've ever seen. Luckily, it is not as unfortunate as the name would suggest. This was listed under "steampunk romance" which seems about as bizarre a genre as spacewestern or medical noir, so being the reader I am I could of course not leave it be. Turns out that it is basically Urban Fantasy in a Steampunk Victorian era, complete with some very non-sparkly half-mechanical vampires.

Now, on to the romance tropes, it has a huge host
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Golden Spider (Elemental Steampunk Chronicles, #1)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
  • Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3)
  • The Alabaster Hip (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #3)
  • The Silver Skull (Elemental Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
  • Virtuous Scoundrel (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #2)
  • The Mech Who Loved Me (London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy #2)
  • Clash of Storms (Legends of the Storm, #3)
  • You Only Love Twice (London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy #3)
  • Mission: Improper (London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy, #1)
  • Dukes Are Forever (London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy #5)
  • Shadowbound (Dark Arts, #1)
  • To Catch A Rogue (London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy #4)
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4)
I write Steampunk Romance. I am self published and loving it! I also publish Historical Romance under Maggie Fenton. Thief of Hearts is finally finished and available for purchase!!

The Elders and Welders Chronicles (3 books)
  • A Dark Heart (The Elders and Welders Chronicles #2)
  • Thief of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #3)