Start by marking “The Abduction” as Want to Read:
The Abduction

The Abduction

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  718 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Allison Leahy is the U.S. Attorney general, the most renowned lawyer in America. She and her wealthy husband are the 21st-century version of the couple who has it all: A happy marriage and two successful careers. To top it off, Allison is the highly touted Democratic nominee for the presidency.Her opponent is Lincoln Howe, a retired four-star army general and bona fide Afr ...more
Published March 24th 1998 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Abduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abduction

John Marsh
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tal
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a bit long at times, but is still very good.
Patricia
May 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book and very timely. Written in 1998 about a campaign for President of the United States featuring a woman running for office.

Review:

The Abduction is a very exciting book and full of suspense. Originally published in 1998 it is most timely today. I checked Amazon and read the Publisher’s Weekly review printed at the time of publication. The book did not get a very good review. Maybe because no one could imagine a hot race for the office of President of the United States between a black
Cbanks03
The Abduction by James Grippando was a fantastic book. It leaves you asking questions and wanting answers. I really enjoyed this book. My favorite types of books are books about crimes that have you at the edge of your seat the whole time. In The Abduction toward the end of October the nation faces a first, they can either vote for the first female or the first African American president. Then the nation is struck with the biggest manhunt ever.

The Abduction is a 502 page book about the scanda
Nan Williams
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was most definitely a page turner - and all the way to the end. From that standpoint it was most enjoyable. The format was straight forward and having recently read books with very convoluted formats, I appreciate the fact that I could simply read it straight through in the 3rd person.

The setting and the situations within the setting were definitely implausible and a bit unpalatable. I suppose in reality, presidential races are fraught with all sorts of immoral underhandedness.

For me the most
Dale
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it was the ABRIDGED audiobook format but I thought this one was a total dog of a book.

Normally, I am a big fan of Grippando's books - they are interesting, full of lots of intrigue, unexpected twists and politics. I've reviewed several of them and have given them high marks. So, when I found one written about presidential politics and read by Allison Janney from West Wing I thought that this was bound to be a great book on tape.

However, the politics in this one was just silly. Before the
Tammi Looney
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been very impressed with James Grippando's books. I haven't read one yet that disappoints me. I went into this book with a little apprehension though. It's characters were in a race for presidency which threw me off at first. I am not big on reading books with a political theme being in the forefront. However, Grippando reeled me in with his never to fail mystery. The mudslinging by one of the characters and the ever present morals comparable to a jellyfish by the campaign managers from e ...more
Crystal Sams
I am really not in to politics, but this was a good book. It is only getting 3 stars because I was let down with how it ended. Not enough was rapped up in the neat and tidy way that I would have liked. But then again, those ends that were left loose were not really what the story was about, so I guess it's understandable. But I REALLY wanted to know (and if you've read it, you should understand what I'm talking about.) The mystery was ruined for me because another reviewer on GR posted who did i ...more
Annabelle
I think Grippando may be psychic, he has a white woman running against a black man for US president in 2000. Allison Leahy is attorney general whose infant daughter was kidnapped and now her opponent’s granddaughter is kidnapped eight years later. There are a number of believable red herrings, and some complex characters, like Repo the kidnapper with a warm heart. Harley, the FBI agent and expert in kidnappers, helps Allison and they have some sexual chemistry, even though her husband, Peter, is ...more
Daniel
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little girl gets kidnapped from a woman who eight years later is the attorney general of the United States and who also happens to be running for president.
Now, 8 years later her running mates granddaughter is kidnapped by the same person. She takes it personally and makes it her crusade to save the child.
When I read a novel I keep telling myself that it's just a book and is supposed to be farfetched to make it interesting and exciting. that works for me and that is how I rate a book as to wh
Jeff Dickison
James Grippando is an excellent writer, but this is not up to his usual standards. The problem is in the set-up of the book. It simply isn't believable. You have a woman Attorney General, whose child was abducted eight years earlier, running for President against a black racist general whose child is abducted. The problem is resolved by having the Attorney General's psychotic husband, who she really, really loves, being the bad guy. Gee, you think she might have noticed he was a raving psychotic ...more
Peacejanz
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping thriller - politicians and crime and family evil. This is one of Grippando's earlier books and it is as good as his later books. A fantastic read about two people, driven by politics, who are running for President of the US. A granddaughter is abducted and one of the candidates makes political hay of the situation. The other tries to find the child. This book shows all the evil that can happen in politics and also shows the evil in families. The reader is led down false trails during ...more
Jill Manske
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating book, allowing readers to peek behind the scenes of national political campaigns and the dirty tricks and schemes some candidates will employ to win. The author also helps us understand the role the media plays, how relating the "news" can be twisted to support different viewpoints. Several storylines are interwoven in a masterful way, so that you're never quite sure what's really happening and "whodunit". The characters are very well-defined and believable and the plot is ...more
Michael espinoza
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Read

I've been reading the Jack Swyteck series from James Grippando and decided to take a shot at this book, and I have to say that I was not disappointed at all. This is a great story with very believable characters. The only grip I have is that I wanted to know what happened with the election? But I guess I can assume what happened from the way the General was running his campaign. Thanks James for a excellent book! I am a total fan.
Marti
Jul 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is actually about two abductions and a presidental campaign. One took place eight years ago and involved the adopted child of one of the candidates. The other, in the present, is that of the other candidate's granddaughter. I thought that it was somewhat lame to include the first one, but that was the author's choice. Allison Leahy, the attorney general, doesn't always do what her advisors say she should. There is also a subtext involving one of her FBI agents.
Colette
The plot line of this book was very good - a man and a women both running for the presidency. The man's granddaughter has been kidnapped and the woman endangers her own life trying to save her but the question remains, who is behind the kidnapping? In typical grippando fashion, twists and turns occur to the surprising ending! I'm rating it a 3 only because it moved a little slow for my tastes but it is still a very good mystery!
Holly Morey
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allison Leahy's baby is kidnapped while she is on the phone with an ex-boyfriend. The baby is never found and eight years later, while Allison is running for President, her opponent's grand-daughter is kidnapped. The suspense begins and there are plenty of twists. The only reason I didn't give the book 5 stars is because I figured out who was behind the kidnapping way too early in the book. Still I really enjoyed the book.
Scott Parsons
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that I have discovered James Grippando I have added him to my list of favourite authors. The Abduction did not disappoint. Contrary to what a couple of people have said it is a real page turner. Sure there are a few points where the plot seems a little unreal. But overall the combination of abduction and its impact on a presidential election works. We are not told which candidate wins on voting day but I'm betting on Allison.
Pj Gamm
I'm a big fan of Grippando's, but the Republican candidate was too over-the-top in stereotypes, & the Democratic candidate was presented as a lily white rose. In reality, the majority of politicians are self-serving narcissists. It got to be too much every time the Republican candidate was mentioned, because it was always a stereotypical, ugly caricature, and it got old. Since I was giving this 3 stars I wanted to explain why.
Joyce
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Attorney General, a woman whose adopted child was kidnapped and never recovered, is now running for President. Her opponent is a former General. Neither campaign is particularly upstanding. His granddaughter is kidnapped. This is a very small thumbnail of the basic plot. It is many times more complex than this. The novel is a page turner, suspenseful and well written.
Mike Shoop
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Political thriller involving the abductions of two children, eight years apart, and how they are linked to an upcoming extremely close presidential election between a woman U.S. Attorney General and an African-American four-star Army General. Non-stop action with plenty of twists and turns. Good change of pace for me.
Jim Ader
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting drama with the background being a Africa-American man running for president against a woman...published in 2002. Author often compared to Grisham. Local area author, grew up in Antioch, IL
Mica
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although a page turner, The Abduction and Grippndo's others lack a little meat. Three stars because I prefer a little more meat in the writing style, but the story was a good one. Good light reading material.
Bill S.
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A presidential race. Two almost equally unethical candidates. The kidnapping of two young children. Murder. Mayhem. What more could anyone ask for?

An enjoyable summer read despite a few totally off the wall plot twists. This was my frist Grippando and I will certainly read more.
Lisa Currier
Suspenseful, lot's of suspects. Showed the win it all mentality of politics, that doesn't really care about the actual people that might get hurt. I really like the Jack Swyteck series, and that characters in this book are not as likable.
Evelyn
Dec 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Attorney General and presidential candidate Allison Leahy relives her daughter's abduction when her opponent's granddaughter is kidnapped before the Presidential election in the year 2000. Excellent legal thriller suspense. Fast-paced and you won't want to put it down. Move over John Grisham.
Marilyn
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very clever plot, fast paced, and hard to put down. US Attorney General Allison Leahy is running for President and faces the very ugly side of politics, while dealing with issues that carry far more importance to her than winning an election.
Cj Byrns
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick, suspenseful read.

Just another twist on a familiar story. Unfortunately, I correctly guessed the ending, and the plot was not complicated enough to hold my interest. And, the characters were derivative and uninteresting. Don't bother.
Jamie
Jul 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Great book. Had to put it in another room to make myself go to sleep or I would have went to work on no sleep at all.
Kelly
Fast moving and very entertaining. I like the interplay of politics, espionage,and family dynamics.
  • The Brush-Off: A Hair-Raising Mystery
  • Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Past Malice (An Emma Fielding Mystery #3)
  • Died to Match (Carnegie Kincaid, #2)
  • The Vaults
  • Dante's Numbers (Nic Costa, #7)
  • Absent Friends
  • Crisis and Command: A History of Executive Power from George Washington to George W. Bush
  • Angel Interrupted
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Getting Old Is the Best Revenge (Gladdy Gold, #2)
  • The Post-American Presidency: The Obama Administration's War on America
  • Diamond Bikini
  • Bamboo and Blood (Inspector O, #3)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
The first thing you should know about bestselling author James Grippando is that he is no longer clueless—so says his wife, Tiffany, after “A James Grippando Novel” was a clue for #38 Across in the New York Times crossword puzzle. James is the New York Times bestselling author of 24 novels of suspense, including twelve in the popular series featuring Miami criminal defense attorney Jack Swyteck. ...more
More about James Grippando...