Start by marking “My Big Greek Family” as Want to Read:
My Big Greek Family

My Big Greek Family

Georgina Andreou is at a crossroad in her life; professionally she’s successful, but her personal life is unfulfilled and lacking. As her huge Greek family descend upon the house to celebrate her thirtieth birthday, Georgina resigns herself to the fact that she is alive, but not living. Still at home with her parents and siblings, she’s torn between the traditional Greek v ...more
ebook
Published by M Dreyer (first published October 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about My Big Greek Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Big Greek Family

Kobby Gyampoh
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for my blog: http://chicklitpad.blogspot.com

One huge lively Greek family. Three charming sisters. A journey to self-discovery. A journey of pure bliss.

Three sisters, Katharina, Georgina and Sophia love the time spent with each other. Spinters past thirty, thirty and close, but who says all you need is male company for some excitement. As sisters the three have an unbreakable bond, and together they would leave all family expectations to embark on the road to finding themselves.

Kathari
Loretta
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's unfair to say this novel is shallow as one reader has done. Ms Constantin has always stated that it was mean to be chick-lit and thus intended for an audience that wants a pleasant, fun read with lots of romance in it. It's not intended as a deep searching look at relationships or ethnic problems. However, that doesn't mean to say they are not addressed and I feel the author does so gently.She gives the parents respect and understanding for their wish to cling to their old culture and way o ...more
Debbie Young
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I particularly wanted to read this novel to learn more about the dynamics of the modern Greek family and the status of women, as on holidays in Greece I'd got the impression that it was still quite an unequal society, and I wanted to get a better understanding before I went on holiday there recently.

Reading "My Big Greek Family" was enlightening in this regard, and it also made me very sympathetic towards the younger generation of Greek women who are trying to change old-fashioned attitudes. Whi
Ewa
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read a book I could relax with and enjoy at the end of a busy day. This was the perfect book for me. Maria Constantine's story about three sisters living at home with their parents and brother is written with humor and authenticity. I hope the writer continues this family saga.
Mona
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was ok

I'm not sure what audience she had in mind, but author Maria Constantine's first-time effort made me feel as if I was back in 7th grade, reading "chick lit" books about sophisticated older girls and their love lives. In fact, with its irritating over-adjectived clauses, lack of depth or insight, and blatant stereotyping, this book could have been written by an ambitious teenager.

The story, about three daughters of a traditional Greek family living in a London suburb, opens with middle sister Ge
Ekaterina Botziou
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a delightful first novel from Maria Constantine. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion I feel that it was unfair of one reader to make a personal attack on the author being an attorney - I don't see what that has got to do with her novel!

Back to the story - if you are looking for a deep emotional read then this book is not for you - but the author has never stated her that her intentions were to write a depressing drama. It is a light-hearted romance that touches on
Celine
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable and heart warming read - an author who totally understands what it feels like to be a second generation Mediterranean woman balancing two cultures. The characters are authentic and real. I could see myself in Georgina, Katherina and Sophia, I really related to their experiences and how their parents loved them, but restricted their independence, desperate to keep to tradition.

Maria Constantine really captures romance in a special way. Her vivid descriptions allow us to glimpse into
Sheri
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Big Greek Family by Maria Constantine

Thirty year old Georgina Andreou lives at home with her parents and two sisters Katherina and Sophia. Each woman is conflicted with life situations. They are a traditional Greek family and are supposed to live at home until they marry. The Three sisters decide to travel to Greece together where they form a special bind and decide it is time to make life changes. True happiness is what they seek, even if it means straying from family traditions.

A good stor
Stephanie Wood
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a heart-warming story of family life and romantic challenges, told in a compassionate way by Maria Constantine. She understands first-hand the particular problems associated with Greek rituals and expectations and describes them clearly and simply, with humour.
The three sisters involved have very distinctive personalities and it is interesting to see each one develop according to their beliefs and confidence.
May Panayi
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most amusing book with insight into typical Greek family life. As someone who married into a Greek family, I love to read this kind of thing and was not disappointed. Well written, really grew to like the characters.
Pam Warner
I am only at 12% and am giving up for now. May go back to at some time. Just can't get into it right now.
Roberta
June
Nov 04, 2013
Sarah Chesney
Jun 10, 2016
Maria Constantine was born and raised in London. Her Greek-Cypriot origins were a source of inspiration for her debut novel, My Big Greek Family.

Maria studied Law at Queen Mary University and Lancaster Gate Law College before studying French and German at the London Institut Francais and the Goethe Institut. She taught English as a foreign language during the five years she spent living in German