Start by marking “Merry, Rose, and Christmas-Tree June” as Want to Read:
Merry, Rose, and Christmas-Tree June

Merry, Rose, and Christmas-Tree June

4.58  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Jane's rich great-aunt takes her to the nicest doll store in town. Jane can choose the doll she wants.

Will she choose Bella Ballerina, the doll who can dance on her toes? Hairiette, who can change the way she wears her hair? Tillie Talkie? Irene-and-Her-Sewing-Machine?

What about that forgotten doll, sitting high on a shelf with the left-over Christmas tree balls? She can't
Library Binding
Published 1969 by Alfred A Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Merry, Rose, and Christmas-Tree June, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry, Rose, and Christmas-Tree June

Stephanie
Sep 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Scholastic Book Club junkies
Christ, did I hate elementary school. The annoying children, bossy teachers, boring classes. Recess was particularly traumatic; who on earth wants to run around a dirt yard filled with scrap metal when they could be home, watching THE MAGIC GARDEN with a steaming cup of hot chocolate topped with marshmallows? Not me! Like any kid with half a brain, I feigned illness as much as possible to avoid that dreaded hell hole of a classroom.

But the one day of the year you could be sure I showed up was th
Juliette
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this book when I was a little girl. The title stuck with me all these years. I am pleasantly surprised to see it was illustrated by Edward Gorey!
Katie
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-fiction
Becky and Lydia are currently in love with this, one of my childhood favs.
Tonja Jensen
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Doris Orgel was born in Vienna, Austria, and later came to the United States, graduating from Barnard College. She has been a translator and is the author of a number of children’s books, including Cindy’s Snowdrops, Cindy’s Sand and Happy Tree and In a Forgotten Place for Knopf.
She and her husband live in Connecticut with two sons and a daughter.
Published in 1969.
More than anything in the world, Jane wanted a doll for Christmas. She already had seven
dolls from her great aunt Beulah Briggs. But
Neilie J
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite books as a little girl. It's funny what sticks with you but the pathos of these abandoned dolls has never left my memory. I felt compelled to buy a used copy of it online today so I could relive the experience. Great story, Edward Gorey illustrations - what's not to love?
Lydia Mitchell
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a 7- or 8-year-old and I was absolutely obsessed with all stories involving dolls. I'd reenact them with my own precious toys, me as the main protagonist, as a child does. This book was a great one. I can't explain what I liked about it specifically, but it was just a feel-good book that I loved to read.
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, favorites
I loved this book as a kid! I am surprised to find it here - now I NEED to go buy a copy of it. (done!). I have remembered this for years & think of cats as cheaper-then-mousetraps all the time! I had forgotten most of the story, just that I liked it. I am happy to have it now.
Anne-marie Older
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a child in the 70s . Now my daughter is reading it and asked for more by the same author. We will be reading more of her titles soon.
Lori
May 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Scholastic books...still have it!
Sharon
Debbie Fuller
Oct 30, 2015
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I adore this sweet little story!
Dawn R.
Gervy
Mar 24, 2014
Jessica
Jun 15, 2017
Doris Orgel is a children's writer. She was born in Vienna, Austria. As a child, she and her family fled to Yugoslavia and finally the U.S. during the rise of the Nazi party in Europe. She attended Radcliffe College from 1946 too 1948, and graduated cum laude from Barnard College in 1950.

In her career, Ms. Orgel has written and translated several fairy and folk tales, as well as served as a trans
More about Doris Orgel...