Start by marking “Drowned Vanilla (Café La Femme, #2)” as Want to Read:
Drowned Vanilla (Café La Femme, #2)

Drowned Vanilla

(Café La Femme #2)

It’s the beginning of a hot, hot summer in Hobart. Tabitha Darling is in love with the wrong man, and determined to perfect the art of ice cream. Playing amateur detective again is definitely not on the cards—not even when her friends try to lure her into an arty film noir project in the historical town of Flynn.

But when a young woman goes missing from a house full of live
Published August 2014 by Deadlines

To ask other readers questions about Drowned Vanilla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drowned Vanilla

Start your review of Drowned Vanilla (Café La Femme, #2)
Alexandra
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yes yes I read it in a day.

I gave it to my mother for her birthday; she had previously loved A Trifle Dead. About this one, she says:

I was thoroughly entertained by this latest book from Livia Day. I appreciated her heroine's inability to combine detective work, cooking skills and a complicated love life with aplomb! The plot kept me interested to the end; the recipes for summer drinks, gelato and ice cream almost made me want to spend more time in the kitchen, and her dealings with Bishop and
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This review may contain spoilers for previous books.

I love to read speculative fiction but every now and then it is good to take a break and read something else. Usually, it's romance, but occasionally I like to dip into some crime. In Drowned Vanilla I get the best of all three: a crime novel with a strong romantic plot written by a spec-fic author in another guise. Having devoured A Trifle Dead during De
victoria.p
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot is a little too convoluted but overall I found it delightful! And it includes ice cream recipes I might have to try.
Poppy Gee
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Drowned Vanilla is a deliciously intriguing Tasmanian tale of missing girls and murder. A young woman drowns in a lake, a beautiful student disappears, and unlikely amateur sleuth Tabitha Darling and her friends set out to investigate. I grew up in Tasmania, and this novel's setting in the sandstone lined streets of Hobart and its beautiful surrounds was particularly appealing to me. I spent many holidays visiting my strict, old-fashioned and ladylike grandmother in Sandy Bay. She took us swimmi ...more
Narrelle
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australian, crime
The second full-length Cafe La Femme novel has Tabitha swearing on the one hand that she no longer intends to be a girl detective – her not-boyfriend Bishop really disapproves of that – and on the other, that she is just going help a teeeeeensy bit with this missing person business.

Of course, chaos reigns, dressed in fabulous vintage frocks. Between obsessive experimentation with ice cream flavours, working out how to not tell Bishop things he probably ought to know and fearing that she’s become
Rivqa
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read in one afternoon; I think I liked this better than its predecessor. Tabitha Darling is increasingly a protagonist I'd like to be mates with (also, cook for me). Warning to lactose-intolerant readers: consuming this book in winter will only slightly diminish ice cream-related FOMO.
Ju Transcendancing
Once again Tabitha wanders around accidentally or not so accidentally solving mysteries. With desserts and friendship in spades. A cosy mystery, loved this!
Dave Versace
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this even more than the first one. Proper review to come.
Emily Craven
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicklit, comedy, crime
I am really loving these Cafe La Femme novels. Not only for the humourous writing, or the frankly delicious ice-cream recipes, but because Livia Day was able to avoid that trap of it being completely unbelievable when a character who is not a detective is constantly in the wrong place at the wrong time and solving murders with no training (and strangely inept police). In Drowned Vanilla, Day seemed to find a way for our intrepid Tabitha to be accidentally involved in another investigation and fo ...more
Violet
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Drowned Vanilla is a continuation of Tabitha’s story. She’s got somewhat of a reputation for solving mysteries now, but she’s still shaken from her last case. When she’s asked to find a missing person, though, she can’t refuse. Trying at the same time to improve her café, she must solve this mystery without all the overprotective police officers around her stopping her investigation.
Like A Trifle Dead, I liked this book a lot. I had a little better handle on the differences in seasons from the
Hazel
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Drowned Vanilla by Livia Day is a mystery book. It’s part of a series, book two, and it stars Tabitha, a Tasmanian chef who likes solving mysteries. Drowned Vanilla is about the murder of a girl who lives in a house covered in cameras. With a side of romantic tension and ice cream, this book is great and I would recommend it to people who like ice cream and mysteries.
Kate Cuthbert
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's hard to say if this books is stronger than A Trifle Dead or of I was familiar enough with the characters and voice to just dive right in, but I zoomed through this book in just over a day - it even held my attention on an airplane!

Also I'm with Tabitha on vanilla...
Colleen
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, scribd
I seem to recall really enjoying the first book in this series but this was just... well... not for me.
Meryl
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
My favorite in the series so far! When and if a third one comes out I’ll definitely give it a try. Luckily my library holds are in now so I’ve wrapped up this cozy mystery binge just in time.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Drowned Vanilla is the second book in the Café La Femme series, with a short novelette in-between. Still set in Hobart and still running her amazing café, trouble finds Tabitha yet again when a young woman goes missing. Literally finds her, as one of the flat mates to the missing girl has had Tabitha recommended to her now that she has a reputation for solving crimes. Especially as the girls feel they can't go to the police for this, as they live in a house completely swarming with webcams. They ...more
Georgie
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: I received a free copy through Goodreads First Reads

'Adventures never need a reason why...They simply are.'

Let me just say, I had no preconceptions going into this book/series. Then I saw this beautiful cover, read an intriguing synopsis and was introduced to one Tabitha Darling. I was hooked like a girl with a tub of salted caramel ice-cream.

There were many refreshing things about this book and its style. Firstly, it was lovely to see the Tasmanian setting. I've only been the once
Hannah Reed
Disclaimer: I received this book free through Goodreads First Reads.

Reading this book made me crave ice cream with every new chapter, and I don’t even like ice cream! That’s how good this book is, it makes you want things you don’t even like.

Let me start by saying that I haven’t read the first book in this series, so I was worried I would go into this book not knowing any of the characters, but thankfully character backgrounds are fleshed out towards the beginning of this book so I immediatel
Karen
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Slightly girly, crazy comic crime fiction is not my normal cup of tea, and add a plethora of recipes and this reader should, by rights, be groaning and moaning and whinging. But not with The Culinary Crime / Café La Femme series of which DROWNED VANILLA is the second book. (As opposed to THE BLACKMAIL BLEND 1.5 which is a collection of short stories).

Pitched at a very particular market this isn't indepth, psychological analysis of crime and consequences. If anything more time and effort is devot
Tsana Dolichva
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Drowned Vanilla by Livia Day is the second Culinary Crime novel, following A Trifle Dead which I reviewed last year. I think Drowned Vanilla is a bit less geeky, but I think I enjoyed the twists and turns of the mystery more. This isn't spec fic, by the way, it's firmly realistic crime/mystery.

This is another mystery story in the same vein as A Trifle Dead. If you enjoyed that book, definitely read Drowned Vanilla. I believe this is what's known as a cosy mystery. Tabitha is called up by a frien
Anna Hepworth
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rated-five
thought I'd reviewed this already. Better than book one - holds together better as a story; the characters are less two dimensional. I wasn't expecting more than a bit of a romp, given the first one - detective noir/murder mystery, with protagonist whose two true loves are clothes and creating food. Oh, and a bit of a confusing romance aspect that was a little on the heavy handed side.

Having said that - I read it in one sitting, I ignored my family to do so, and I was fascinated by the way that
Yvonne Baldwin
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tabitha just is not vanilla.

I have read the full series so far. Bloody brilliant! I would suggest you read them in order,otherwise some things may not make sense. The characters in this series are so normal that these books could be real. Like you could really walk into Tabitha's cafe and meet everyone. I could not put the books down until I read them all. Hope we don't have to wait for long til the next installment Perfect cozy mystery with a little romance.
Aj
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Krissy
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A crowd sourced film noir mystery, the murder of a woman, and a web cam house. You'd think these things have nothing in common, but they do. Add in Tabitha's amazing cafe, experiments with ice cream flavours, romancing a police officer and also flirting with a Scottich blogger and you have "Drowned Vanilla." I love the Cafe La Femme series!
Kira
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it despite that swearing. The fact that there was stunned time between the last book and this one was nice. I also appreciated that the events from the previous book effected their actions. The elements I enjoyed from book one are still there too. overall, this was a really fun read.
Kathy
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it
At first it seemed that this might be a light, funny read, but it soon lost steam. The style quickly became tedious - or perhaps I just don't "get" the speaking style of today's young people! I found the storyline a bit convoluted and the characters not terribly convincing. Light entertainment, but don't expect too much.
Julie
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Tabitha Darling doesn't want to investigate a disappearance or a murder. She wants to experiment with ice cream flavors. However, her friends and circumstances conspire against her.

Tabitha is such a fun character and the banter between characters is laugh out loud funny. The mysteries were intriguing and unique.
Lauredhel
Still waaaaiting for Tabitha to realise that poly is a Thing!
Sam
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one as much as the first. These books are not only clever, but giggle-worthy. :)
Elanor Matton-Johnson
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
I wanted to lick ice cream off the cute Scottish guy by the end of the first chapter. Another gloriously giggly, cosy crime read from Livia!
Celia
Nov 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Fun culinary mystery - set in December, the perfect Christmas holiday read, and temptingly filled with ice-cream recipes.

• Ayesha at Last
  • Elly in Bloom
  • Murder, Curlers, and Cream (Valentine Beaumont, #1)
  • The Island Dog Squad (Book 1: Sandy's Story)
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • Murder At The Bake Off (A Recipe For Disaster Cozy Mystery, #3)
  • Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)
  • Leviathan (Leviathan, #1)
  • First Night, Last Rites (Press Pass Mysteries #4)
  • The Road to Witches (Alice LeBlanc #1)
  • Santa Shortbread (Auntie Clem's Bakery Book 12)
  • Better Witch Next Time (A Witch in Time #1)
  • Give Me Chills: A Devil's Beach Novella
  • The Lilliput Bar Mystery
  • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
  • Her Troubled Mind (Rosemary Run #0)
  • The life and times of Dinah Marton
  • New England Skies: Book One: Airborne
Livia Day fell in love with crime fiction at an early age. Her first heroes were Miss Jane Marple and Mrs Emma Peel, and not a lot has changed since then!

She has lived in Hobart, Tasmania for most of her life, and now spends far too much time planning which picturesque tourist spot will get the next fictional corpse. You can find her online at http://tabithadarlingsbedroomfloor.tu... and http://ww

Café La Femme (3 books)
  • A Trifle Dead (Cafe La Femme, #1)
  • Keep Calm & Kill the Chef (Café La Femme, #3)