Start by marking “A History of Magic” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
A History of Magic

Richard Cavendish

A History of Magic

A history of magic from ancient times to the twentieth century. Richard Cavendish is also the author of "The Magical Arts".
Published January 2nd 1991 by Penguin Books (first published March 17th 1977)

To ask other readers questions about A History of Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Magic

Jane Routley
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I bought this book because I thought as fantasy writer should understand the theory beind magic better. I've had it for years and boy do I wish I'd read it earlier. It clarified a lot of things for me. It's not about how to perform magical rituals but about mankind's pursuit and atudy of magic. It was a delicious book to dip into during my daily train travelling time, because Cavendish's style is very clear and enjoyable to read and occasionally fun. For instance, I enjoyed the paradigm shift of ...more
Kirsten
Feb 24, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a pretty good overview of the concept of magic from ancient times to the 20th century; if you've already read much on the history of magic, you're not going to run into much that's new. If you haven't, this is best as a jumping-off place rather than the be-all and end-all. Modern pagan movements get a little bit of short shrift, but since it's a short book everything gets the quick-and-dirty treatment. The real problem, other than the lack of detail, is that Cavendish's writing is deadly ...more
Roger
i think i bought this back in the Winter of '06 when i was starting another Mage game. looking for ancient inspiration of course. i never really cracked the book open.

another Library sale book, this one from the Palatine Public Library. the page with their internal barcode and card-sleeve has been torn out. their stamp still resides on a page in the front, though the address claims 500 North Benton St, when I'm only familiar with thier newer location at 700 North Court.

look here in the back, a P
lisa_emily
Aug 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was quite interested in magic (the occult) at one point in my earlier life- this was a good base to understand some of the anthropological and historical perspectives on magic and its uses.
Outmind
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5

Amusing, although all the names mentioned as one approaches the end of the book create a jumble.
Raraavis