Start by marking “Lola Plants a Garden” as Want to Read:
Lola Plants a Garden

Lola Plants a Garden

(Lola)

Readers who loved Lola at the Library, Lola Loves Stories, and Lola Reads to Leo are in for a backyard treat. After Lola reads a book of garden poems, she wants to plant some flowers. She gets books from the library and chooses her plants. Then Lola and her mommy buy the seeds, make the garden, and mark the rows. Now it’s time to wait. . . .
Library Binding, 28 pages
Published August 5th 2014 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2014)

Misslakerria
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed reading Lola Plants a Garden because it taught me that, though there are thousands of books and many different genres, there is one genre specifically tailored to my interest. I liked that fact that Lola’s love of garden poems caused her to find out how to plant a garden and then she read another book to instruct her on the process. I thought that this would teach children to find books about topics that they love so that they can become an avid reader.

Lola Plants a Garden by Anna Mc
Jessi
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book are just PRECIOUS! I love them! The story is sweet, too- I like the fact that Lola was so interested in something she read that she wanted to act on it, and it's fun to see stories where families work together on something (in this case, planting a garden!)
Diane
Inspired by her favorite garden poem,Mary, Mary Quite Contrary, Lola wants to plant her own garden. So with the help of her mom and dad she does her research, they make a list, the buy supplies and they plant a garden. And while they wait for the plants to grow, they create “silver bells, cockleshells and even a little Mary Mary. And when the garden is blooming, Lola’s friends all come over to see it and make it a special event.

A very simple story with wonderful family interactions. I love how t
Jared White
I loved this book. I liked that reading with her Mom is one of the things which made Lola love flowers and want to have a flower garden. I liked that Lola researches (looks through) books about flowers to find out which she likes and that she used her library to find those books. I liked that once she planted her garden, she spends time doing crafts to make decorations to help pass the time until her garden starts to sprout. And I liked that, once her flowers start to bloom, she has her friends ...more
Elaine
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this at a storytime to a group of 18 children ages 4 -5. They enjoyed it and we talked about going to the library to find books about the project you are getting ready to do, planting gardens, making scrapbooks and cooking from the garden. The illustrations are soft and colorful and Lola is adorable. I like that the author included a classic nursery rhyme and an original poem based on the classic rhyme because it is National Poetry Month, and I think its important to teach children about ...more
Erin Buhr
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
In Lola's most recent adventure, she becomes enchanted by the darling poem "Mary Mary Quite Contrary" and wants to plant her own flowers. I love the way her book of poems inspires a gardening adventure and a summer of fun. Lola gathers books from the library, chooses flower types with her mom and goes to the garden store to buy seeds. She plants her seeds, waits and cares for them and passes the time with the utmost creativity. Simple and straightforward but filled with life and color, this is a ...more
Siobhan
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Lola, a little girl who loves the rhyme, "Mary, Mary, quite contrary," and is so fascinated by the idea of a flower garden that her mother agrees to help her plant one next to the vegetables. Lola and her mother plant the seeds, and then Lola must wait patiently for her flowers to emerge. While she waits, she makes a string of shiny bells and shells to hang among the flowers. When the flowers bloom, she invites her friends over to enjoy them. A sweet book, ideal for children ...more
Tracey
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic-bks
Lola loves to read, especially her book of garden poems—and she decides she wants a garden of her own. Her mother takes Lola to the library and helps her select which flowers she wants to plant—and then off they go to buy seeds. After the flowers have grown, Lola invites her friends to a picnic to show off her garden.

Original post on http://mackinbooksinbloom.com/2015/04...
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary inspires Lola to grow her own garden with help from Mom and Dad. It's important to read the front cover with the nursery rhyme. The back cover has a Lola poem to end the book as well. Very sweet story.

Reviewed from a library copy.

2016 storytime theme: PreK Planters/Gardens
2018 storytime theme: Flowers
Monique
Lola stories are always so much fun to read and this title is no exception. This tale of "Lola Plants a Garden" explores Lola's desire to plant a garden, and with the help of her parents plants a flower garden. The illustrations are bright and cheerful and perfect for storytimes with toddlers and preschoolers.
Julie
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've liked this character for a while, and this book ties gardening with the "Mary, Mary Quite Contrary" nursery rhyme. My children could relate to wanting to plant flowers, buying seeds at the garden store, and making a flower book. We're excited to garden!
Janet
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I love Lola and this time she wants to plant a garden and we see her and her mother planning, planting, and caring for the garden. And of course Lola first went to the library to find books on gardening before beginning her project.
BiblioBickie
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ps-readalouds, 1st
Hits quite a few nice themes in an organic way through a sweet, accessible story with a pre-schooler cadence: poetry, patience, research at the library, getting ideas, reading with parent, parents helping child realize vision. Perfect for ages 3-6.
Wendy
Absolutely loved this simple story with charming illustrations. Lola and her mother plant a flower garden and make their own book because Lola loves the nursery rhyme " Mary, Mary". This book is great for teaching sequencing and inspiring creativity. You'll love the finished garden.
Samantha
Inspired by the nursery rhyme Mary Mary Quite Contrary, Lola plants a garden. She does her research and helps tend the garden and while she's waiting decorates and plans for a celebration with friends when the garden blooms.

Acrylic illustrations. Great read aloud for PreK-2.
Diana
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, storytime
Another wonderful installment in this precious series. Filled with marvelous familiar and friend relationships (and encouraging the live of books and libraries!!!), this one is a keeper. I LOVE LOLA!!!
Becky
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Lola gets books about gardens from the library." I love how McQuinn is able to include the library in her stories. A great integration of a classic nursery rhyme. And I love that Lola's friends coming to see the garden is a big deal worth noting Lola's shirt and hair choices.
Kelly
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the things I like about this series is that Anna McQuinn takes everyday situations and writes about them, so that if a child experiences any of these situations (planting a garden), give the reader an idea of what to expect in that situation.
Lisa
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Little Lola is excited about the book of garden poems to the point of wanting to plant her own. With the help of her mommy, Lola learns about the beauty of nature and sharing that beauty with friends and those you love.
Elaine
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, storytimes
The illustrations are adorable. The story is cute. I love the use of the nursery rhyme. Everything is awesome in this book!
Karen
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lola, as a character, is wonderful! This book is wonderful because of the qualities given to Lola as a character. Excellent!
Peninnah
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Lola books are fantastic! I recommend them very highly. As a bonus, they feature families of all colors. Love love Lola & Leo!
Heather
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-cepeda
Great substitute for The Flower Garden. Kids enjoyed this! 2-K.
Allison
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Adorable! Cute illustrations, simple text. Perfect for a sping/growing/planting storytime.
Susan Schuler
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great Lola book by McQuinn.
Stacey Mulholland
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like the connection to the nursery rhyme
Afriendlylibrarian
I love Lola so much. I love her family and her poems.
Amanda Coppedge
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A celebration of imaginative play and a subtle message about patience reaping big rewards--a difficult concept for the youngest ones, but well handled here.
Shari
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Lola decides that she wants to plant a flower garden, just like "Mary, Mary Quite Contrary." She is a lucky girl to have parents who are willing to indulge her endeavors.
Zaire Clinton

• I Can Do It Too!
  • Max and the Tag-Along Moon
  • Whose Chick Are You?
  • Fly!
  • Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • In Plain Sight
  • Construction
  • Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt
  • Walking in a Winter Wonderland
  • Peekaboo Morning
I am so lucky to spend my time working with books and stories. I work one day a week running groups for babies, toddlers and their parents at a local library; I spend two days a week writing and six days a week as publisher at the tiny independent publisher, Alanna Books.
In my spare time, I read - what a wonderful life!
There are some Children's Books on my shelves (obviously) but for a more compr