Start by marking “Hug Machine” as Want to Read:
Hug Machine

Hug Machine

Who have YOU hugged today? Open your arms to this delightfully tender, goofy, and sweet tale.

Watch out world, here he comes! The Hug Machine!

Whether you are big, or small, or square, or long, or spikey, or soft, no one can resist his unbelievable hugs! HUG ACCOMPLISHED!

This endearing story encourages a warm, caring, and buoyantly affectionate approach to life. Everyone des
Published August 26th 2014 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hug Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hug Machine

Betsy
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Do you remember that old Shel Silverstein poem “Hug O’ War”? This may be considered sacrilege but did you ever notice how the guy could do something brilliant one moment, like “Sister For Sale” and then turn around and do something just doggone maudlin like “Hug O’ War” the next? Here’s a taste of what I mean: “Where everyone hugs / Instead of tugs / Where everyone giggles / And rolls on the rug”. You get the picture. The trouble is that hugs are hard. Adults love ‘em. Kids love ‘em. But writing ...more
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books

Hug. A simple act that can mean and do so much.

This little boy, aka The Hug Machine, has mad hugging skills! He’s the best hugger in all the land. He will find a way to hug anyone and everyone. From whales to ice cream trucks, he hugs them all! :)

This simple, silly, warm hearted book really caught me off guard. So straight forward and adorable. The look on our hug hero’s face is priceless—so peaceful and cute. The soft, muted colors with big, bright white backgrounds make every face and hug pop
First Second Books
Everyone enjoys hugs – and they enjoy them even more when they’re drawn in Scott Campbell’s crazy, cartoon-y art style.

This story of a boy who is THE HUG MACHINE and hugs everything in sight is charming and delightful!
Jamila
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
hugging this book
Susan
Sep 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015, no-no-no, storybook
An extremely creepy book where a boy goes around hugging everything and everyone, even those who seem to really not want to be hugged in the first place.

No child should ever be given the message that it's OK to touch people like this without their consent. It is especially troublesome that the 'hug machine' is a little boy claiming that he is hugging everyone because his 'hugs are unbelievable' and 'drive people nuts'. Equally disturbing is the 'no one can escape my hugs!' part. Seriously?!? An
Irena Freitas
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mais fofo que abraço de uma pessoa querida <3
Emily Stueven
Super cute and even lough-out-loud funny. I especially love the expressions on the faces of all the unwitting hugees. But therein also lies my one, admittedly nitpicky, issue with the book--I just really wish the kiddo had asked any of the hug recipients in this book for their permission before hugging them. Because ideas of consent are formed in childhood, it saddens me that this book missed an opportunity. Otherwise, it's a very fun book that would make a great, high-energy read-aloud.

Edited t
Penny Ramirez
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very charming, sweet story. Was testing Kindle checkouts from my library, so I read this on my phone. The artwork was well rendered, even in the smaller format!

I'll be purchasing the physical book for my personal collection - the kids will love this!

Later (March 31) - our hard copy arrived, and I had my niece read it aloud to me while we admired the illustrations together. Even better in picture book size!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I'm a huge fan of Hug Machine and my fandom of Hug Machine has grown to incorporate all the children at my school. Now, I'm happy to say, Hug Machine is a board book, and a whole new group of our youngest readers can hear this lovely story of a child who hugs everything he sees.
Marta González
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, cuentos
5/5

Otro cuento, sí. Tener huequitos sueltos en la escuela de verano da para estas cosas, me va a servir de "reciclaje" en este género. :)

Sin duda el que más me ha gustado de los que he leído estos días: enseña que tanto niños como adultos necesitan las muestras de afecto aunque no las pidan. A todos nos hace un poquito más feliz, y si todos mostráramos más el cariño que sentimos, tendríamos más a menudo una sonrisa dibujada en la cara.

Un cuento muy tierno que ayuda a entender emociones y que ens
Kristine Hansen
Aug 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Everyone needs a hug. But I'm not sure if this is the book to get that message across.

First of all, I was distracted by the freaky long arms of the kid. Sorry, it creeped me out.

Second, I don't like how he runs up to every person (and object) he sees and hugs it. I would only, ONLY read this book to a child with a disclaimer that it's not all right to hug strangers. Seriously. How dangerous if that?

So overall, didn't like this book.

The message isn't bad. Just poorly executed and without discreti
Vanessa
Nov 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids
Look, the idea behind this--that hugging is good, and even huggers need hugs--is fine. What isn't fine is that the main character is hugging literally everyone in the book without their consent. Most of the people he hugs just stand there, bewildered or slightly discomfited, while the protagonist chortles about how important hugs are and how everyone wants them.

Not everyone wants hugs. And it's ok for people to say that they don't want hugs.

I used this book as a lesson for my boys about what n
Mary
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I was surprised by this book. Looking at the pink cover, I was expecting this book to be over-the-top sweet. Yes, it is sweet, but it is also playfully humorous. The young narrator has dubbed himself the Hug Machine because he is the master of hugs who can hug anything anywhere and his hugs are truly transformational. As much as I enjoy the deadpan humor of the text, it is the illustrations that truly soar. My current favorite is the Hug Machine hugging the whale, but the one with the porcupine ...more
Samantha
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Imagine a superhero who makes the world a better place with hugs, tons of them; this is that book.

I love the humor and the tone of this text. It's perfect for reading aloud! I like how the main character conquers various hugging problems with creativity and heart. And the watercolor illustrations work so well for this book, highlighting the humor in each hug and giving readers tons of detail to pore over.

Highly recommended for PreK-2.
Jessica
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, own
Absolutely charming! This year has brought a crop of wonderful picture books to our house (and it's only June!) but this is a hot contender for my favorite of 2014! Impossible to describe (because what is there to say, it's about . . . hugging . . . but so much more), both humorous and tender, my kids and I fell immediately in love with this book!
Katie
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Oh my goodness, this book is wonderful. It will make you want to immediately go hug your family, friends, co-workers, other library patrons, etc. You should read it. Right now. Yes, you. (:
Janet
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this big-hearted, sweet, and quietly funny book about a little boy who prides himself on being an incredible hugger (and rightly so).
Jessica
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS TOM!
Ghadah
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It took me less than 10 minutes to read it and I was AWWWWWWWWWH!-ing since the beginning till the end. :')
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I need a feel good category and this would definitely be in it.
Mindy
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute story about the power of hugs and being kind to one another. My favorite page is the little boy hugging a porcupine wearing a football helmet and oven mitts.
Colers
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
So very cute plus the illustrations are adorable.
Johara Almogbel
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-the-library
So utterly utterly adorable. I've read it three times and I got it this morning. This one's definitely a keeper for the grandchildren.
Heidi
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an adorable book about a little boy who calls himself the 'hug machine'. He spends most of the book hugging anything and anyone in sight. He hugs his family, the neighbors, a police officer, a tree, a bench, and a post office box. He also hugs a crying baby, and even a porcupine (with appropriate protection). But who will hug him when all his energy runs dry? Having been hugged numerous times by young hugging machines, I can say that there is nothing quite like it. The innocence and affe ...more
Garrett
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
Maybe I'm having just a bad night, or maybe I'm just exhausted from work. Whatever was wrong with me was instantly fixed by this book. I love this book so much that I found myself hugging it without realizing it.

I was hugging the hug machine book.

On accident.

Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So stinkin cute!
Sonja
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a cute board book! Little ones and parents will both enjoy it.
Joshua Gross
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Super cute book about little kid who hugs everyone and everything, including whales.
Emily
  • Some Bugs
  • Shh! We Have a Plan
  • Little Elliot, Big City
  • Flora and the Penguin
  • My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)
  • Sam and Dave Dig a Hole
  • Number One Sam
  • Gaston
  • The Midnight Library
  • Louise Loves Art
  • Naked!
  • Flight School
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • Wolfie the Bunny
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
Scott Campbell (born December 28, 1973), known professionally as Scott C., is an American artist and production designer, known for his work for LucasArts and Double Fine Productions.

Source: Wikipedia.

For books by Scott Campbell authored as Scott C., see his other author page.