Start by marking “The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)

The Girl from the Well

(The Girl from the Well #1)

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  8,910 ratings  ·  1,750 reviews
You may think me biased, being murdered myself. But my state of being has nothing to do with the curiosity toward my own species, if we can be called such. We do not go gentle, as your poet encourages, into that good night.

A dead girl walks the streets.

She hunts murderers. Child killers, much like the man who threw her body down a well three hundred years ago.

And when a s
Published August 5th 2014 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Girl from the Well, please sign up.
Rin Chupeco The main inspiration for this book was from an old Japanese legend called the Bancho Sarayashiki. Yamamura Sadako, the Ring's villainess was also base…moreThe main inspiration for this book was from an old Japanese legend called the Bancho Sarayashiki. Yamamura Sadako, the Ring's villainess was also based on that legend; hence any similarities (a well also figures heavily in the original Japanese tale). (less)
Madalyne Jesus It gets a little bloody and a lot dark, I would recommend waiting until she's old enough to handle decapitation.…moreIt gets a little bloody and a lot dark, I would recommend waiting until she's old enough to handle decapitation.(less)

·  8,910 ratings  ·  1,750 reviews

Start your review of The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)
Miranda Reads
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
description

Seven of my favorite Bookish Villains in one BookTube Video!
The Written Review
description

“I am where dead children go.”
Just because she's dead, doesn't mean she doesn't have a life.

Okiku is one of Japan's most famous vengeful spirits - she's the Girl from the Well, star of many horror stories and horror movies.
Few stories start with death. Often, it starts with grief.
She was killed when the man who she loved betrayed her in the worst way possible...And for a while, she was just as bad
 Teodora
4.45/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

If you are a tea drinker then this is your lucky day my friend because I have the perfect recommendation for you. This book goes so well with blood orange tea that I think I don't even want to consider this a well-put pun.
I am not joking though. Try some hot and sweet blood orange tea while reading this! It is a match.

Now, let’s say a proper hello to this cutie-pie of a horror book, shall we?

description

Don’t you love it when some scary-ass thing happe
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“I say it is an onryuu, yet I feel no hate from her."

“An onryuu with a conscience, kami help us."
Shimatta! (That means shit in Japanese). God help us, this is supposed to be our terrifying heroine? Kuso yaro! Sou desu ne?! Ramen! *insert random-ass Japanese word here for authenticity* Sukiyaki! Hentai! Bukkakke! Hello Kitty!

This book will be scary, they said. A cross between Dexter and The Ring, they said. Not fucking likely.

This was how scary the book was for me.

Trust me, I'm just as disapp
Melanie

I didn't love the ending, but I loved everything else. Also, I need book two immediately! <3

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

This was the October pick for the Dragons and Tea Book Club! 🐉☕

🎃 I read this for Spookathon 2019!
megs_bookrack
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the lovely hosts of the Dragons & Tea Book Club announced that The Girl From the Well was our October 2019 pick, I was genuinely excited.

A YA horror novel that I had never heard of? I was intrigued.

Then I discovered people comparing the vibe to one of my favorite horror movies of the early 2000s, The Grudge, and I was beyond sold!

I am so happy to report that I truly enjoyed this. I could not put it down once I started.

I love this type of Horror. It was smart, visceral, with great charact
Isa Lavinia

ARC provided by Sourcebooks Fire through Netgalley

TW: murder, mentions of rape

I don't own a TV.
Yeah, I know you're expecting me to go down the usual pretentious, "I don't own a TV, because books are the superior form of blah blah blah" but the truth is I don't own one because I am so crazy that after I watched The Ring I had to get rid of my TV.
There will be NO creepy kids climbing out of a well and into my house!

So when I got approved for this ARC I went, "Oh no, Isa. What have you
Elle (ellexamines)
The thing that stands out about The Girl From the Well is the omnipotent, out-of-the-story narrator. Well, to be quite fair, Okiku isn't totally out of the story - she's actually a ghost who murders child rapists and abusers. And she is fucking awesome. Not only is she the morally grey girl villain we all needed, but she's also vividly developed and has a brilliant character arc.

This book is not outright terrifying, it's more just... unsettling. It's really creepy and atmospheric, with some goo
Faye, la Patata
Warning: Scary GIFS galore!

I posted some Asian Film Recommendations as an extra to posting this review on my blog. Check it out here and go marathon some scary movies!

Since I was young, I've always loved Asian horror films. I'm a fan of horror in general (who agrees with me that getting goosebumps is AWESOME?! No? No...? Okay...), but there's a certain quality in the Asian counterparts that I don't really see in Western works. For one, they incorporate their mythology in their films and lite
☠Kayla☠
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know where to start with this one. I guess first I'll say that I really love how the copy of this book that I have gave a very very vague synopsis so going into it I really had no idea what to expect. All I knew was the story was about a ghost by the name or Okiku who died 300 year ago who wanders the world seeking out vengeance of those who take lives of children, shes has no remorse for the wicked until she meets Tark. That was all I knew.
This book was TERRIFYING, I wasn't expecti
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

Let's get one fact straight: I am a huge wuss. I hide behind pillows during horror movies and force people to come with me when I walk into dark rooms. I am freaking scared of dolls. Those Barbies I collected as a kid? I want to throw them all out the window. But after reading my first horror book, Anna Dressed in Blood, I thought I wasn't going to be as scared. Well, ha ha to myself.

That was my reaction throughout the book. I was happily enticed by all the mythology and Japanese hi
C.G. Drews
I have to shout one thing first, okay? Okay. Keep calm, just let me get this off my chest:

THIS WAS AMAZING AND SCARY AND FREAKISHLY FANTASTIC. IF YOU HAVE NOT READ IT YET, YOU'RE MISSING OUT.

Aaaand...I'm done. I am! I could end the review here, to be honest. But, I'm not positive you're convinced. (Although, in all honesty? Everyone knows I'm trustworthy and that if I like a book you ought to drop everything and rush out and read it.) But for the SKEPTICS, I will explain.

The Girl From The Well i
Sue (Hollywood News Source)

We are the fates that people fear to become. We are what happens to good persons and to bad persons and to everyone in between. Murdered deads live in storms without season, in time without flux. We do not go because people do not let us go.

I frankly haven’t heard of this book before, or I genuinely just don’t remember it, until, I read an article about it the other month. Read it here.

I usually shy away from anything horror related, mainly because I’m a complete wuss. Even though, I’ve seen ha
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“It is not in my nature to be interested in the living.

I read this as one of my books during October because I was reading nothing but spooky stories. I thought this looked pretty cool but it didn't live up to its full potential for me.

The Girl from the Well started off really great. This book has a surprising narrator - a young girl named Okiku, who just happens to be dead. She also happens to be a spirit that gets revenge on child murderers - I can get behind that! The atmosphere
Neil (or bleed)
"It is only for few seconds. But when you have resigned yourself to an eternity filled with little else but longing, a few seconds is enough."

This book should be scary, right? But why it doesn't felt like one? If I could rate the scary/creepy level of this book from 1 to 5 (1 is the lowest and 5 is the highest), I will give it a 2.5.

There are few scary scenes that are scary enough but most are just okay. Meh. Compared to Nova Ren Suma's Imaginary Girls, this book fell short in terms of givi
Giselle
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
Even with the great premise and creepy as heck scenes throughout, I can't say I liked this one much, unfortunately. Though this is all due to the writing, and if you're a fan of it you will have a much better experience with this book than I.

The writing is one that, although may work for some, I could never get used to. The narrative voices (plural because I "think" there were more than 1, but I'm not 100% sure…) are in 3rd person which is always harder for me to connect with regardless, but in
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I would like to thank Netgalley and Sourcebooks for having this book available to read now.

The Grudge meets, The Ring, meets an awesome book! This book is creepy but in a good way. I loved it!

The girl from the well is named Okiku and she was killed years ago. Her ghost stayed around to kill people that murder children. She's really creepy at first, well she's creepy all along, but she's good! She certainly does some creepy things and makes some creepy noises. I would love to see this as a movi
Beatrice Masaluñga
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The Girl from the Well successfully gave me the chills and scared the hell out of me and I didn't expect it. It was like The Grudge / The Ring (both Japanese version) in book form. I remember that time when my friends and I had The Grudge: Ju On movie marathon and there are lot of jump scares. Especially, Kayako Saeki crawling down the damn stairs and have this eerie voice is etched forever in my mind. After reading this book… YES! I finally found a good Halloween book!

The story is about a v
Mir
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Hits all the cliche tropes and imagery of Japanese horror films and manga. Drowned girls with long dark hair and dark pits for eyes who hangs upside down from the ceiling or come through the mirror or tv. Light that mysteriously go out and flash on just long enough to see a shocking sight such as a man being dragged under a bed or into a closet. Pooling blood. Claw marks appearing on walls or skin. Creepy dolls (are there any other sort in films?). Because it relies on effects that are primarily ...more
nivedha
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
i will be reading this sometime next week for spooky month :)
i expected this to be creepy. spooky month kinda creepy. y'know, the hiding-my-face-behind-a-pillow-because-i'm-too-scared-to-watch-it kinda creepy not that i will ever admit to doing that haha you saw nothing.
what did i get instead?
i
got
strange
broken
sentences.
okiku was not scary at all. she was just...there. she didn't even unsettle me, she was just plain old boring. a white outfit and mangled appearance does not make someone scary,
Figgy
WARNING - This review WILL include gifs and images that might disturb.

There's an issue with image links on GR right now, only half of them are showing up from time to time. Hopefully this will fix itself soon.

This book has been written up as a cross between The Ring and Dexter, but I actually felt it was equal parts The Ring:

The Grudge:

And a little bit of The Eye:
(This one makes more sense if you’ve seen the movie)

I had two very different reactions to this book.

The first was fear. The creep
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
After having read a few milder ghost stories I was in the mood for something darker, scarier, and down right thrilling.

What I wasn't expecting was this horrific, crazy, down right creepy story that would leave me turning the lights on at night and anxiously looking around for the ghosts that might be lurking in said darkness.

This read was fabulous! The perfect creepy blend of Japanese lore with American culture.

Ghosts, demons, doll possession, curses, mysterious tattoos, murderers, legends, and
TL
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
----
Not bad but underwhelming overall. Just expected.. "more"

*shrugs* Not much else to say really.
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
'I am where dead children go.'

I've never read a Young Adult book with Asian lore sprinkled in. So when I found out that this features a Japanese horror story, I was morbidly excited and curious.

I open The Girl From The Well with one expectation.

It has to be batshit scary.

If anyone is familiar with the horror movies The Grudge or The Ring, then this book will remind you strongly of them. The Girl From The Well features a very restless and violent ghost who goes by the name Okiku. Like every other
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, young-adult
3.5 Stars
This is dark and haunting tale of vengeful spirits, heavily inspired by Japanese horror. Considering this book is intended for a younger audience, I felt that it had some decently creepy scenes, with some unsettling sounds and images woven into the story. Even the writing itself was purposely unnerving with fragmented sentences, formatted in a way to unsettle the reader.

The story was heavily influenced by the Japanese traditions and cultural ideas about the spirit-world. Told from the p
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
If you want me to be happy, all you have to do is give me a book with

- ghosts

and I will be satisfied. 😌
Lynx
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, young-adult
The legend of Okiku is one of the most famous stories in Japanese folklore and has seen a massive resurgence in the past few decades with films like Ringu and Ju-On: The Grudge. This year we even have the film Sadako v Kayako, where the two Okiku inspired villians battle head to head. Rin Chupeco gives us new depth into Okiku's story, showing us more humanity then we are used to.

While many YA novels transcend the genre this wasn't one of them. Better written then your average R.L. Stine book but
Yodamom
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, horror
4.5 Japanese ancient myths & horror blend vey well in this modern tale. I am so happy to have found tis author and this series. The characters fit their rolls, they had believable reactions, it was easy to care about them and nobody was TSTL. Ding Ding winner. I already ordered box 2 in the series.
Sheena
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Started off so strong and interested but then it began to drag and I got bored lol
Taylor Knight
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Girl from the Well is a very exciting and impressive debut from Rin Chupeco.
When I first seen this book in Barnes and Noble, I'd never seen it before or heard anything about it.
I guessed it was horror and grabbed right away. I'm really glad I did.

Right from the first page, this book got my full attention and never let go. I was really impressed with the
writing and concept. At times I was a little bit confused because of the fast pace but I think I was just reading too fast to take it all in.
Susana
This actually started out good:

I am where dead children go.

Unfortunately the writing style _ 3rd person_ with its changing pov's: It is the ghost? Is it the aunt? _ rapidly made me lose my interest on it.
The only reason I didn't DNF it, was because I have the arc of second in the series to read...
Yay me.

Readers Unbound: The Girl from the Well 25 14 Nov 12, 2020 08:37PM
Play Book Tag: The Girl from the Well - Rin Chupeco (4 stars) 3 8 Aug 21, 2020 10:47AM

• The Last Stair into Darkness
  • Shutter
  • Tell Me A Story
  • Dead Bad Things
  • Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)
  • Clown in a Cornfield
  • The Haunted
  • Pretty Little Dead Things
  • The Wife in the Attic (Rye Bay, #1)
  • The Last Assignment: A Ghost Story
  • Good Night's Sleep
  • Horrid
  • The Bone Farm (Jane Hawk, #0.5)
  • The Vanishing Assassin
  • Lauriat: A Filipino-Chinese Speculative Fiction Anthology
  • Asylum (Asylum, #1)
  • Bad Girls Don't Die (Bad Girls Don't Die, #1)
  • A Million to One (Fasano Trilogy #2)
For updates, events, and new releases, sign up for their newsletter at http://www.rinchupeco.com/newsletter Unfortunately, I cannot accept friend requests at this time - Amazon detects these friends' lists on Goodreads and prevents the people on them from leaving book reviews!

------------------------

Despite an unsettling resemblance to Japanese revenants, Rin always maintains their sense of hummus

The Girl from the Well (2 books)
  • The Suffering (The Girl from the Well, #2)

Articles featuring this book

"Horror fiction has traditionally dealt in taboo.… It makes monsters of household pets and begs our affection for psychos. It...
“It is not in my nature to be interested in the living.

But there are many things, I have found, that defy nature.”
30 likes
“Dad says there are more than three thousand letters in the Japanese alphabet, which could pose a problem. There are only twenty-six letters in the English alphabet, and I get into enough trouble with them as it is.” 15 likes