Start by marking “Can I Say: Living Large, Cheating Death, and Drums, Drums, Drums” as Want to Read:
Can I Say: Living Large, Cheating Death, and Drums, Drums, Drums

Can I Say: Living Large, Cheating Death, and Drums, Drums, Drums

Travis Barker’s soul-baring memoir chronicles the highlights and lowlights of the renowned drummer’s art and his life, including the harrowing plane crash that nearly killed him and his traumatic road to recovery—a fascinating never-before-told-in-full story of personal reinvention grounded in musical salvation and fatherhood.

After breaking out as the acclaimed drummer of
Published October 20th 2015 by William Morrow (first published May 20th 2014)

Start your review of Can I Say: Living Large, Cheating Death, and Drums, Drums, Drums
Ashley Daviau
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I must admit that while it was nice reading about one of my favourite bands as a teen, I felt like this was just a teeny tiny bit of a letdown. I did enjoy this book for the most part but some bits actually made me cringe.

The parts that made me cringe bothered me enough for me to dock a whole star from this book. What was it that bothered me so you ask? Well, I was thoroughly appalled at how women were spoken about and treated in this book. It's like they were just objects to be used until
meghann
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This has to be the most honest autobiography I have read. Travis left nothing out, and I'm kind of amazed he's around today with all the shit he did. I fell in love with Blink 182 when I was 14 years old. This girl moved onto my street, gave me her Blink cds to check out and then moved away within a month. It was like some cosmic destiny shit. I don't remember her name, but she holds a special place in my heart (I'm so terrible with names, you guys). I promptly bought the three cds they had out ...more
Michael
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-memoirs

Travis Barker inspiring story about love, loss and guns touched a deep place in my heart. I do not know much about him,but based on the interviews I seen of him, he lived a rough life. As the book explicitly describes, he did not grow up with white fences and a beautiful home. Instead he had to struggle what he has now,from poverty and being misjudged based on his appearance. Raised as a military child, he got his tough nature from his father, but his mother (nicknamed Cookie) was the soft
Andrew Mad_Squirrel
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Travis Barker provides a revealing, frank and inspiring look into a life defined by perseverance, dedication, and an unwavering commitment to both the mastery of one's craft and to one's family and friends.
I work at a bookstore and was shelving yesterday morning when I noticed the arrival of Travis Barker's autobiography. Having been a fan of his music for well over half my life, I decided to grab a copy for myself. After cracking it open at 11 pm, I didn't stop reading until I finished the book
honeypoppybooks
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

I loved this memoir. It was brutally honest and had a few funny bits. The book was really well written and felt like Travis himself was telling me his life story face to face. I would recommend this book to fans of Blink 182 or if you are just a fan of Travis himself and curious about the man behind the drums. I really learned a lot about this man,his life and music journey.
Alanna Why
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Ever since I started listening to the podcast Blink-155, I have been consumed by the music of Blink-182 and all of its related media. I thought I would read Travis Barker's memoir since they mention it on the podcast and wanted some light end-of-summer reading fun. Instead, I got this book about Travis Barker's life - including some pretty heavy stuff about addiction, death and being the only survivor of a plane crash that burned 65% of his body. Sure, there's some fun goss about him hooking up ...more
Dina
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was just ok. It was all just a little too obvious what his life was probably like. Tons of drinking... tons of drugs... lots of women... demons... family loss....reckless behavior.. oh and a random plane crash that almost killed him. I wanted to love it but he wrote like a 5th grader. Very short choppy sentences. Almost a stream of conscious type of writing that throws you off while reading. The footnote stories, within the book, in the middle of the chapters was a little off-putting too. ...more
Alyce
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Finished this late last night. It started weak, but ended much stronger. Travis is an interesting guy, and I think this was a pretty honest account, with not too much glossing over certain things. There was a bit of repetition in places, and a bit too much emphasis on all the women he has attracted over the years, but an interesting read nonetheless. 3.5 stars
Jodi
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An awesome book from an amazing man.
Rod
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Should be called "Sex, Drugs, And Drums" (and what the crap do I tell my children in 10 years?)

Travis Barker is/was the tattooed drummer for the Pop Punk band "Blink 182". I still don't recall what the band name stands for, he probably explained it - but I didn't care, maybe it's the tempo of all their songs? Which mostly suck. Indeed, they are no Offspring or Rancid. More like a naughty version of Simple plan or the Backstreet Boys. But I can't tell 99% of the Pop Punk bands apart. But the BIG
Emily Matview
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nf
I wouldn’t be the person I am today if it weren’t for the drums. Whenever anything in my life has been bad, I knew I could go to my drums – for me, the drum kit has been better than a girlfriend.

travis

Travis Barker isn’t capable of simply liking something in moderation.

Did you know that Travis has slept with hundreds of women?

Did you know that Travis owns a fleet of Cadillacs?

Did you know that Travis’ dedication to the drums landed him a spot on his high school’s marching band without having to
Fredrik
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
wow. i read this book in 2 days, and it was truly hard to put down.
well written with lot's of funny stories and real heartache. it really makes you see Travis Barker in a new and very different way. and being such a huge Blink fan as I am, it made the book all the more awesome.

well worth your time!
Jen Young
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs-autobios
I was surprised at how engaging this book was! I enjoyed reading it quite a lot. It's very story-teller-y and I just kept hoping that he turns himself in to a more upstanding dude by the end. I liked the focus on fathering.
Kat Aranda
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raw, Real, Travis Barker

Have been a fan for 15 years or more but after reading this book I have a whole new love and respect for Travis Barker and all that he's about.
Brendan Egan
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anything that can get me to put down Tiger Beat for five seconds and halt my seemingly never-ending pining for the glory days of TRL is worth five stars in my book.
Rowan
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This truly had a bit of everything. Travis has certainly lead an interesting and crazy life in his 40-something years. Growing up with Blink-182, Travis has long been one of my drumming idols and musical influences – so I was excited to read this!

It took me a little while to get into it at first. It has a unique style all of its own (much like Travis’s drumming). It features vast footnotes, pictures and anecdotes splashing across the pages throughout. The style of writing and way of talking was
Mateo
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this like a year ago, for me it is a really honest autobiography, it’s true that you will get a bit of cringe, but let’s be truth, everyone feels cringe about somethings about our past.
Travis shows himself to the world and taught a lot of lessons for the young people who follow him.
Amar Kasapovic
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I grew up listening to punk rock and Blink-182. I’ve always liked Travis and loved his drumming in everything he did, but this book put it on a whole different perspective and made me realize how great he truly is. Hell of a dude, great human, drummer and father. Highly recommend the book.
Anthem Book Review
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I, like many others, have been a Travis Barker fan since his days in Blink 182. I followed his career from his brief stint on reality television, to his many musical endeavors as a drummer. Barker has an aura about himself that is just intriguing. He is unique, a seemingly quiet soul that has finally opened up to the world in his new book. Can I Say reveals the deepest truths about Barker’s life, taking the reader on a journey as Barker and his friends and family beautifully tell his story.
This
Jessica White
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This review and more can be found at A Reader's Diary!

Travis Barker is one of the best drummers in the world. But few people know his story. He started out with the Auqabats, worked his way up to Blink-182, dedicated his down time to the Transplants, started Box Car Racer, created +44 with Mark Hoppus, became a drummer for TRV$DJAM. Travis Barker wrote can I say as a tell all for all of the things he's done. He worked his way up from the bottom. He grew up skating and drumming along to his
Brian
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As someone who grew up loving the music of Blink 182, Green Day, MxPx, and Offspring, this is a phenomenal account of one of the major players in that scene. It is also an amazing tale of excess, fall, and redemption. I love who Travis was, but even more, I love who he became. I will read this again.
Stacy Fetters
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"A powerful mind-set is the most powerful weapon you can have."

This has to be one of the most brutally honest and rawest memoirs that I've ever read and held in my hands. Pure adrenaline ride from cover to cover. Talk about inspirational too.

I've been obsessed with Blink 182 for as long as I can remember. They got me through some tough times and even high school. I owe a lot of what I did to them. Travis of course being inspiration number one. So this surprises me that he was the first one to
Daniel A.
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
The person that said the word 'weak' to describe the book was spot on. It was filled with heart but he held back. His stories were funny but he didn't say a bad word about anyone. He could have buried Blink 182's manager Rick Devoe and only devoted one line where he said that he didn't trust him.
A bunch of his friends got in a few words in the book, and reading those made my eyes roll. I get that they are his friends but they all sounded the same. "Travis Barker is the greatest drummer of all
Emmie
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was an interesting read, especially considering how quiet Travis has always been. He's an incredibly skilled musician and that was about all I knew of him. Like every other teenage girl, I loved Blink 182, and when the opportunity to see them touring again in 2009 after Travis's crash, I coughed up some decent change to be as close to the stage as possible.

Getting to glance into his world was pretty crazy. I know a lot of people probably wanted more info or photos of the plane crash but that
Ali-Jae
Aug 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Sort of a bummer. This book was a gift from my siblings and, while I didn't expect this to be some deeply insightful tome, I did expect minimal substance given the quantity of positive reviews. The book is 400 some pages worth of bedpost notches. Barker opens with an apology, going so far as to say some of his actions and the way he treated women makes him sick, but then immediately proceeds to share every vapid detail. In case that's not enough, he invites friends and colleagues to corroborate ...more
Kate Arends
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books I've read. Offers insight to not only Travis Barker's life along with the bands Transplants, Box Car Racer & Blink, but dives into the music industry and other musicians as well.

It's also a fantastic testimony of how hard work and passion can drive your life.

And will make you want to hangout with him.
Ben
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blink-182 had more impact on my musical tastes far more than anyone else. I don't listen to them often anymore but their effect on me is very far reaching. I knew a lot of his early history, but it was nice to read this and hear about a lot of his more recent stuff especially regarding the plane crash and all the hip hop work he did/does.
Larry Ball
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An honest look at the trappings and glory of fame gone out of control; and stark look at his way back to his humanity. A brilliant musician in my opinion, and an authentic, good person with a tender heart.
Chanel
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Plane crash surviver. Pill popper. Crazy ex-wife. Tattoos. Hands on dad. Travis barker is one character. What a life this guy has. One of the best drummers of our time and I'm glad I read his memoir. He did not care. Just left everything on the table.
Marina
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!

what a book! what a life, Travis should've wrote a book a long time ago.. I laughed, I cried in this book.. The way he wrote this book and the details its so intense and real. Definitely a good read! Great person and being all around.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Travis barker cheats death 1 4 Dec 08, 2017 10:56AM
Travis Barker survives plane crash 1 1 Dec 04, 2017 07:03AM
Travis Barker survives plane crash 1 1 Dec 01, 2017 12:25AM
Goodreads Librari...: Book title edit and merging required 2 24 Feb 20, 2014 09:34AM

• NOFX: The Hepatitis Bathtub and Other Stories
  • Scar Tissue
  • This Is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl
  • Chasing Shadows (Sekret Machines #1)
  • 18 and Life on Skid Row
  • The Long Hard Road Out of Hell
  • Tranny: Confessions of Punk Rock's Most Infamous Anarchist Sellout
  • A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Heaven,or How I Made Peace with the Paranormal and Stigmatized Zealots and Cynics in the Process
  • Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain
  • You're Making Me Hate You: A Cantankerous Look at the Common Misconception That Humans Have Any Common Sense Left
  • Acid For The Children
  • Poet Anderson ...of Nightmares
  • Sliding Into Home
  • Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs
  • Seven Deadly Sins: Settling the Argument Between Born Bad and Damaged Good
  • Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?
  • Dirty Rocker Boys
  • My Appetite for Destruction: Sex, and Drugs, and Guns N' Roses
Travis Landon Barker is an American musician, songwriter, producer and drummer for the rock bank Blink-182.
“Fuck being bored. You shouldn't ever be bored. You can always read and be smarter. You can always work out and be in better shape. You can always play your instrument and get better at it. Your space can always be cleaner. Blue-collar work is when you work with your hands--white-collar work is behind a desk. I'm not as grimy as my father, who made his living with a wrench, but everything I have comes from working with my hands.” 5 likes
“Dreams don’t work unless you do.” 4 likes