Start by marking “The From-Aways” as Want to Read:

The From-Aways

Fresh talent CJ Hauser makes her literary debut with The From-Aways, an irreverent story of family, love, friendship, and lobsters, in the tradition of J. Courtney Sullivan’s Maine and Richard Russo’s Empire Falls.

Two women come to Maine in search of family and find more love, heartbreak, and friendship than they’d ever imagined one little fishing town could hold.

When Le
Published May 20th 2014 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The From-Aways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The From-Aways

KT Sparks
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Do you remember when you were a kid, and you read THAT book, the one that made you stay up all night with a flashlight under the covers (for many I know it was The Hobbit. It was Chronicles of Narnia for me (perfectly respectable) but even more so, a book from the public library called Fifteen and Kissed)? Then after you finished the book, you were so horribly sad that you had to leave that place and those people, and you pined for them and dreamt about them and years later they made a movie whi ...more
Jacob Appel
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
CJ Hauser's The From-Aways is a deeply moving, often hilarious and extremely well structured potrait of two women who resettle in the coastal hamlet of Menamon, Maine--one drawn by a father who abandoned her family years before and the other by a husband with deep roots in the local lobster industry. As a self-styled team a la "Woodward and Bernstein," journalists Leah Lynch and Quinn Winters help reveal the town's dark secrets and challenge the wealthy newcomers who threaten the character and i ...more
Amy
Jul 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
OK, so I didn't really finish this book. It got great reviews on here, but I was so bored with it. I really didn't care or like any of the characters. I couldn't get myself to care about what they were doing it what happened to them. It was about two women who end up in a small Maine town for very different reasons. I just couldn't keep reading. I finally skipped to the last couple chapters and read the end. Wasn't worth it to my time.
Barbara
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The From-Aways is a perfect summer beach read. I was in the mood for that sort of Chic-lit book that is witty, light, and enjoyable to read. It’s a beautiful story of two unlikely women becoming great friends. They meet in an unlikely place, a small town in Maine, each drawn there for different reasons. Both women, prior to coming to this Maine town, were self sufficient, strong, loner types. I enjoyed how C J Houser told her story in chapters from each woman’s prospective. I really enjoyed how ...more
Lorilin
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, arc
This book is advertised as a breezy summer read, but it's not. It's much more than that. The From-Aways actually has depth to it, and wit. The story reads a bit slow at first. But fifty pages in, around Chapter 6, the characters wake up, and I was hooked; the more I read, the more I wanted to keep reading.

Hauser displays some pretty impressive writing skills. There were more than a few lines that had me chuckling or thinking or mm-hmming or admiring:

"The ground inside rattles with gravel. Rosie
Katelyn
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I enjoyed this ARC titled "The From-Aways" (maybe the title will be changed for publication?). It follows two interesting and unique early 20 somethings moving for the first time to a small Maine town. It examines what makes the town quaint--and is it really so adorable and idyllic? Most of all it follow these young women through their relationships and challenges connecting with people in their new town where they are viewed as outsiders. This is an enjoyable read.
Ann
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think this book will make the perfect beach read for the summer. I am a sucker for small town books set near the beach. This story has two great characters moving to this quaint Maine village to find love and themselves. Friendships develop and the neighbors envelope them into the life of a small town.
Patty
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
C.J.Hauser

My " in a nutshell" summary...

Leah and Quinn both end up living in Maine and working for the same small town newspaper.

My thoughts after reading this book...

Leah and Quinn...hmmm....Leah is the rich New Yorker who fell in love and married a boy from Menamon, Maine. Leah convinced her husband Henry to move back to his roots and his inherited old house. Quinn...after her mother dies...moves to Menamon to find the father she has never known. Her taste in men is absent but
Sharon
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A literary read with two alternating viewpoints and different voices. In Menamon, Maine we find a newlywed couple, one a native to Menamon and one from NY, a young gay woman moved there to be near her absent father, and assorted other locals. The small local newspaper hires both of the females, neither a native, making a staff of 3. The problem is that wealthy people "from away", and the two recent additions to the newspaper staff, also "from-aways", are at odds over the wealthy couple's enormou ...more
Alyssa
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-reads
As with many books by female authors, this novel was given a cover that made it out to be a light and fluffy read, a beach book or "chick lit", if you will. The cover to me belies the intensity of the subject matter: a small town fighting to preserve their traditional way of life against those who want to come in and develop it into something new, shiny, and modern. Hauser narrows her scope so that this conflict, which would be nothing but a blip on the national news landscape, if it made it the ...more
Kate Anslinger
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this book five stars because I was floored by the writing. I thought C.J.'s descriptions of small town Maine and characters were so entertaining and I felt like I was right there with them. This was one of those books that I was sad to finish.
Tamra
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very Mainely--feels realistic.
Angelica
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019
Based on the cover and the first page, I thought that I was going to like this book a lot. Thought, is the operative word here. Told in two different points of view, both of which are 1st person in alternating chapters, "The From Aways" is a a story of two women and the seaside town that they call home. One is newly married Leah, the other is motherless Quinn. They settle in Menamon, Maine and their paths cross at the local paper where they have both been hired as journalists. They have to work ...more
Taylor Segen
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would when I first atarted it. After reading so many books set in New England and the coast (admittedly my favorite setting) that are light-hearted and present a unnatural image of perfection it is paradoxically refreshing to read a book with an homest presentation of the real Maine. Unemployment, low income, blue collar, tiny towns facing a bleak future unless they bring in new jobs. And there's the rub. At what cost to history, family memories, cu ...more
Tommie Mc.
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
i think there are some book snobs on this site because this book got a lot of negative reviews yet i found it to be a real page turner, engaging, easy to read, enjoyable. and books that i find boring and dry get rave reviews on this site. so, if a book has an average rating of 2-3 stars i'll like it?
this book was good. a story of friendship, lost love, the unfairness of having 1% super rich people in this world of 99% poverty. and not shying away from a lesbian relationship was a nice touch too
Erin
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wanted so much to like this book simply because, while I do not live in Maine any longer, I am a Mainer at heart and wanted to be transported back through this story and their experiences. I found this book confusing the way it was written from each characters perspective and I think it’s because I couldn’t differentiate between them clearly enough for me to remember who I was reading, they were all boring characters. This book was a lot of work to finish.
Seawitch
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book reads like YA fiction. I think the author was quite young when she wrote it. I finished it but I also could have abandoned it. I liked a memoir piece she wrote for The Paris Review and then heard her read from her new novel Family of Origin. I think she will be a writer to watch. And read...
Rachel Rogers
Sep 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Just could not get into this which is sad considering it's just the type of book (from the blurb) that I love, and the reviews here. Something about it did not grab or hold my interest in the slightest. Might be, in part, the first person present voice. Major pet peeve of mine. It has to be done really well to make me ignore the voice, but this wasn't.
Paula M Horton
Good Maine storyline but f_bomb distracts

I liked the story line about the mega house and buyout and the newspaper angle but using vulgar language to get your point across that Quinn is a punk only cheapens the writing.
Valerie R.
Aug 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not good

I really didn't enjoy the plot. I only kept reading because I thought it had to get better. It didn't. I couldn't relate to any of the characters, and I certainly didn't understand them. Too much out-of-control drinking.
Denise Gobble
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book. Loved the characters.
Linda
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
fiction - debut novel
current day
small-town Maine coast
Leah & Quinn (aka Bernstein & Woodward)
love
heartbreak
friendship
Vicki Bishop
Aug 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read 67% and quit. Just no way I could finish.
Natalie
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great summer book! Very easy to read and loved the characters.
Margaret
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Ever since Leah met and married Henry in New York, she knew that she wanted to move to his hometown of Menamon Maine even if it meant giving up her career as a serious journalist for the Gazette. Henry just made everything seem "real". He saw things from a perspective full of wonder. He told wonderful stories about his hometown where everyone knew each other and said hello and everyone owned land. She wanted "real".

Quinn found herself living in Menamon as well. She didn't really want to leave Co
Becky
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Leah and Quinn might seem like an unlikely pair - Leah a recently married New Yorker hoping to live the storied life her husband wooed her with and Quinn searching out her absent father in the wake of her mother's death - but the two "from-aways" soon become fast friends. Leah gave up her career as a journalist in the city to move to her husband's tiny hometown. Her sister-in-law, who holds a grudge as yet unknown to Leah, agrees to hire her on at the local paper where newcomer and former obit w ...more
kim
I picked this one up because the cover is so summery and relaxing. I’m sorry to say, it was a little too relaxed; the book got off to a really slow start. The title refers to Leah and Quinn, two young women who come to the small Maine town as ‘outsiders’ or ‘from-aways’. Quinn comes to town in search of her father, a musician who abandoned her and her mother shortly after her birth. Leah is here because she has pressured her husband to move back to his hometown, having a romanticized version of ...more
Tonya
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads

***

When Leah, a young New York reporter, meets Henry, she falls in love with everything about him: his freckles, green thumb, and ta
Colleen
Life-long NYC resident Leah falls in love with a man from small-town Maine, quickly marries him, then envisions an idyllic life in his hometown and convinces him to move back to his family home. Quinn’s dying mother’s last request was that she track down her biological father, whom she’s never met, who happens to live in the same small town where Leah comes to reside. And so forms a close friendship between the two “from-aways” as they tackle a major issue that threatens to tear the town apart.

T
Laurel-Rain
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Leah meets Henry in New York, but falls for him because of his oddities, as well as the stories he tells about his childhood in Maine. They marry too quickly, before they really know each other. Will they realize that they have nothing in common?

Quinn has been the caretaker during her mother's illness, so when she dies, there is a void. Her mother's last request is that she go to Menamon, Maine, to try to find the folk-singer father who abandoned them. Scrappy and smart-mouthed, Quinn gets a job
« previous 1 3 next »

• Return to the Beach House
  • Scent of Butterflies
  • Room to Breathe
  • Deadly Ties (A Waterside Kennels Mystery)
  • The Last Beach Bungalow
  • Breakwater Bay
  • The Clearing
  • Beach Plum Island
  • When I’m With You (The Jane Austen Academy Series, #3)
  • Splendor (Sacred, #2)
  • The House on Oyster Creek
  • Under a Summer Sky
  • Down the Shore
  • The Miracle Cures of Dr. Aira
  • The Sharing Moon
  • The House on Main Street (Apple Valley #1)
  • Riley's Secret (A Moon's Glow, #1)
  • The Darcys: The Ruling Passion (Darcy & Elizabeth, #3)
CJ HAUSER is the author of the novels The From-Aways (William Morrow 2014) and Family of Origin (Doubleday 2019).

Her fiction has appeared in Tin House, Narrative Magazine, TriQuarterly, Esquire, Third Coast, and The Kenyon Review, and she is a recipient of The Amanda Davis Highwire Fiction Award. She holds an MFA from Brooklyn College and a PhD from The Florida State University.

Hauser lives in Ha
“That would be the gentleman lobster,” 0 likes
“We moved like clock hands that circle away from each other and then meet again so it is incredible and inevitable both.” 0 likes