Start by marking “The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club” as Want to Read:
The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club

The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club

The acclaimed and wildly outlandish inside account of England’s most notorious music club, The Hacienda, from Peter Hook, the New York Times bestselling author of Unknown Pleasures and co-founder of Joy Division and New Order—a story of music, gangsters, drugs, and violence, available for the first time in the United States.

During the 1980s, The Hacienda would become one o
Published April 22nd 2014 by It Books (first published June 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Haçienda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haçienda

Start your review of The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club
Paul Christensen
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
New Order had the biggest selling 12” single of all time in ‘Blue Monday’, but didn’t benefit from it materially - all their profit was sucked into a money-draining vortex known as the Haçienda.

In the 80’s the club held concerts by bands like Kiling Joke, Cocteau Twins, Sisters of Mercy and The Cult.

But from 1988 it became the centre of acid house and rave party culture.

Then, ethnic street gangs moved in and metal detectors had to be installed. Eventually the security costs were so high the c
Nigeyb
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club: "How Not To Run A Club" is spot on. This is a highly readable account about how Manchester's Factory Records launched a nightclub called The Haçienda, in Manchester, that traded from 1982 to 1997, reinventing UK club culture in the process. After a slow start, which saw the club half empty for most of its events, it finally became a symbol of the Madchester era, a global phenomenon, with the club's legendary nights packed out with people from far and wide.

Pe
James
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘The Hacienda: How Not to Run a Club’ (2009) – is Peter Hook’s seemingly comprehensive account of the legendary and iconic music venue, club, art space, happening etc that was The Hacienda / FAC 51 – of which he was part owner.

Hook charts the history of ‘The Hac’ from its’ conception and inception, through the glory days of post punk, Madchester and acid house, via drugs, drink, gang violence and its’ ultimate demise under the weight of a stream of catastrophic and disastrous management decision
Esther
Apr 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was huge, enormous, throbbing with noise. No not the club, Hooky's ego. Like being sat next to some middle aged geezer in a pub rambling on about those were the days, we started that, man we was having it large....etc etc.
Godzilla
This was a personal joy to read: it took me back to my teenage years in the late 80s when I used to frequent the club.

It was a great time for me personally and for the city generally. Everything felt energised and exciting and I can still remember my first time inside the Hacienda.

It broke a lot of ground and I found myself mixing with people I wouldn't ordinarily have bumped into.

Hooky conveys all the traumas and adventures with a remarkably casual, conversational tone. It makes for great insig
Mary
Mar 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had put this one aside as I'm not a huge 'Hooky' fan. He rather grates sometimes.

Reading the first chapter of the book I thought I'd done the right thing. The guy's arrogant stupidity and his actions described made me cringe. However as the book goes on he's less irritating. This was a book I couldn't not read. Everyone's account of those days differ wildly. Sometimes in fact and always in opinion. This is a guy who has probably the most invested in the story of the club. Both financially and
Phil
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the first of three books written to date by ex-Joy Division and New Order bassist Peter Hook. It chronicles how he and a motley crew of other Factory Records idealists managed to create a now legendary nightclub that played a central role in Manchester's music scene despite a comical lack of business acumen and competency.

While an entertaining read, I found this to be the weakest of Hook's three books. There was a great deal of overlap between this book and his other two, with many of th
Jaz
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with nothing much invested in the subject matter. I found the Hacienda a depressing destination for a night out in the early-mid '80s; often empty and freezing cold, and on nights you went to see bands you were reminded just how shitty the acoustics really were. Having no interest in either car alarm music or getting shot, I avoided the place altogether in its more successful later period.

I was (and remain) a fan of Joy Division, though, and had read and thoroughly enjoyed Hooky
Marc
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a good read about a club only know through my interest in the music of New Order and the film 24 Hour Party People. I just wish the copy-editor had paid a little more attention and caught the many typos that pop up throughout. Pretty sloppy for a book from Simon & Schuster.

Here's my Hacienda playlist, limited though it is:

Joy Division – “Love Will Tear Us Apart”
The Smiths – “Hand in Glove”
Gun Club – “Sex Beat”
New Order – “Blue Monday”
New Order – “Bizarre Love Triangle”
New Order – “True
Katey Lovell
This is a difficult one to review as in many ways it's a really unique book. It worked well in the sense that it conveyed the music and club scene in 80s and 90s Britain (and beyond, with reference to the U.S. and Ibiza clubs that influenced and were influenced by the Hacienda). It was also interesting to get an insight into how much money the club was haemorrhaging each night, and shows that even those who are talented and savvy in one field are totally not in others. Hooky's life away from the ...more
Steven
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read and honest insight in to how they managed to lose so much money running the Hacienda and just how much it was financed by New Order
Tosh
Oct 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am going through a British pop star memoir thing at the moment, and I couldn't resist Joy Division/New Order's bass player Peter Hook's book on his (well co-owned by all of New Order) The Hacienda. It's interesting that he didn't write a proper memoir of life with Ian Curtis, etc. But perhaps he feels that there is already too much literature on that subject matter. So, instead he focuses on the legendary Manchester music club The Hacienda.

As a business venture it was a total disaster. Peter
Eric
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
"The other highlight of The Tube day was an interview with Morrissey and Rob. Now I don't know why, but Morrissey had always hated Joy Division. Maybe Rob got it right when after a lively debate as the cameras were turned off he turned to Morrissey and said, 'The trouble with you, Morrissey, is that you've never had the guts to kill yourself like Ian. You're fucking jealous.' You should have seen his face as he stormed off. I laughed me bollocks off."

"One young lady, a very wacky Hacienda regula
Ronnie
Tony Wilson’s son Oliver is mystified by how we fucked it up. He can’t believe that anyone could have wasted the opportunity.
Wasted the opportunity? I suppose we did. There was more than one. We were pretty good at it. But if you’re going to waste an opportunity,there are a few important things to remember. Do it in style. Do it in public. And, above all, do it in Manchester.

Interesante y bastante diferente a sus otros libros. Tuve que pensar mucho en él para entender si me había gustado menos
SB Stokes
Riding on the publishing (aka selling) success of Mister Hook's first book, about his days and nights in the seminal cold wave 80s band Joy Division, it seems the publishers and his handlers thought they might be able to squeeze one more out of 'im.

Sadly, that's exactly what this it: a hodge-podge of random recollections of Peter's wild times back in the nightclub 90s at their own personal money pit of a northern nightclub, Factory Records/New Order's own THE HACIENDA. Sounds like a juicy read,
Romysh
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hooky is such a great story-teller.
At first I thought 'How not to run a club' is just a fancy sub-title, but as it turns out it is actually hard to believe that these events actually happened for real. But I suppose Hacienda fulfilled its purpose. It created a legendary tale.
This book is one amazing read! Far from 24 hour party people. Here it is described as the full story, the true legend, all the facts and behind-the-scenes. I just couldn't help laughing hard at some stories. Especially the
Nirvana
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think its just hilarious, and how running a club today is no different. somehow, many people still have not learnt, why? I don't know, everybody wants to make a quick buck, but realizing of all the procedures, and consquences.

Lots of great episodes of incoincidental moments! And close escapes Peter and his gang had!

Marc Nash
Every anecdote is tripped out flatly. No real colour, or detail or emotion apart form flippancy. I spose that's what you get for being off your face the whole time, like stories about things under the influence of drink, I guess you had to be there at the time.
Kristy Thomason
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realy enjoyed this. I cannot believe they were so stupid!
Patrick
It's not especially well-written, there's something slightly disjointed about it, perhaps just a reflection of the fact that Peter Hook is a musician not a writer, but as an account of a world I knew relatively little about, I quite enjoyed it.

The music for which the Hacienda became famous has always been lost on me but there was plenty to keep me reading. It's really an account of what is actually involved in running a night-club,, why it was, at least in that time and place, all but impossible
Caroline
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
After absolutely loving the Joy Division book, I ordered this as well as the New Order book - which I have already started before writing this review.

Now I didn't really know about the Haçienda before this. But I'm really interested in Joy Division and New Order and their history, as well as Peter Hook's writing style, so why not.
I already knew that this was going to be the story of a trainwreck - but I had no idea how bad it was going to be. The prologue tosses you into a night at the club in 1
Kahn
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The interesting thing about reading Peter Hook's books in the order I have is I've left the debut album til last.
In doing so, you get to see all the tropes and stylings you've come to love in their raw form.
He loves a quick quip, a tangent or two. And in his later books he's perfected them. Here they are delivered with more enthusiasm than flair.
That's not a bad thing, I should stress. We all start somewhere and Hook clearly had a style all of his own from the off.
The downside of reading thi
Nestor Rychtyckyj
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
In this entertaining and fast-moving memoir, Peter Hook distills the history of the Hacienda into one succinct phrase: “How Not to Run a Club” For those who still need a hint - the cover proudly proclaims “The Inside Story of Britain’s Most Notorious Nightclub”. For those of us that are coming to this from the punk rock side of the house – Manchester is where the Sex Pistols singlehandedly jump-started the music scene in a show that barely anybody attended, bit still resonates 44 years later. Pe ...more
Dragan Nanic
Madchester and Hooky.
I had to give this book three stars as I was under impression that I am sitting in some pub in Manchester and Hooky is telling a story, still bitter from realizing how much money he actually lost running a club, yet at the same time extremely proud of doing it. Every now and then, some third party at our table has to remind him of some interesting episode, thus moving the conversation from the yearly financial overview (which appear at the end of the most chapters).
If it w
Christopher Munroe
The Hacienda is a fascinating time and place in music history, a glorious, deeply culturally important financial disaster of a nightclub that, for a moment, was the most important place in the world. Peter Hook's behind the scenes account of this period of history is by turns hilarious, tragic and cringeworthy, as he looks back with the benefit of hindsight on glaring miscalculation after glaring miscalculation that really should have been noticed at the time.

Brisk, compulsive reading, soundtrac
Clare Trowell
"Do it in style, do it in Manchester" Hooky has reminded me how scared I was living in Manchester at the end of the 80s, start of the 90s! Manchester became Gunchestrr and the Hacienda was taken over by gangsters. My rose tinted specs about my younger days in Manchester! Don't think much of Hooky - or his writing. It's a bit like a sweaty stream of consciousness.. and that is when admittedly he was 'off his head' most of the time. I remember why I didn't like Scallys and they didn't like student ...more
Aaronb
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its hard to believe that New Order didn't get paid much because all their royalties went to running a nightclub, as partial owner! I'm looking forward to seeing Peter Hook and the Light this month, and it must be a reason he continues to tour at 62 years old.
Some really interesting information about the behind the scenes part of nightclub management is here - the battles with local gangs that took over and shut down the club sound terrifying.

Almost as terrifying as the huge piece of concrete th
Tom Boniface-Webb
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-bios
The first of Hook's trilogy of books about his career as a member of Joy Division, New Order, Revenge and Monaco, focusing mostly on the chapter where the band are coerced into buying - and then subsequently pouring all their royalties into - the Hacienda, one of the world's most famous clubs.

If he had known that this book would be followed by two further biographies that focus on the two clear stages of his career, then he may have chosen to write less about his life and career and focused mor
Joe Marshall
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this very quickly. Extremely readable and a great account of the role the Hacienda played in the Manchester music scene for the 15 years it was open from 1982 - 1997.

Hooky gives an honest and self deprecating account of the reality of part owning the club. The book really gets across why the Hacienda has such an iconic status, without getting lost by looking back with rose tinted glasses and ignoring the difficulties and problems the club had, particularly in the later years.

Must read for a
Ben Davies
Entertaining jaunt through the ups and downs of te Haçienda in Manchester. Whilst I knew about it as a cultural center for the city I never quite realized the role it played in defining all that came after it in regards to EDM.
The book feels like sitting down with a friend and reminiscing in the most informal of settings. And if you've got a nose for accounts there's some interesting ins/outs running through it to just show why you shouldn't run a club in this manner.
A nice little read if you
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• How Not to Be a Professional Footballer
  • Set the Boy Free
  • Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs
  • Last Night a DJ Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey
  • This Searing Light, the Sun and Everything Else: Joy Division: The Oral History
  • Creation Stories: Riots, Raves and Running A Label
  • Mick Jagger
  • Record Play Pause
  • Margrave of the Marshes
  • Anger is an Energy: My Life Uncensored
  • Factory: The Story of the Record Label
  • Escobar: The Inside Story Of Pablo Escobar, The World's Most Powerful Criminal
  • Tony Wilson - You're Entitled to an Opinion but your Opinion is ****
Peter Hook (née Woodhead) is an English singer, songwriter, composer, multi-instrumentalist and record producer. He is best known as the bassist and co-founder of English rock bands Joy Division and New Order. ...more

News & Interviews

“Now I don't know why, but Morrissey had always hated Joy Division. Maybe Rob got it right when after a lively debate as the cameras were turned off he turned to Morrissey and said, 'The trouble with you, Morrissey, is that you've never had the guts to kill yourself like Ian. You're fucking jealous.' You should have seen his face as he stormed off. I laughed me bollocks off.” 5 likes
“Like the time I threw out Pete Murphy of Bauhaus for saying those six immortal words to Slim when he'd forgotten his backstage pass: 'Don't you know who I am?'
'Ha, ha, yeah, I do,' I said, 'You're out, arsehole'.”
0 likes