Start by marking “The Disease Delusion: Conquering the Causes of Chronic Illness for a Healthier, Longer, and Happier Life” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  371 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
For decades, Dr. Jeffrey Bland has been on the cutting edge of Functional Medicine, which seeks to pinpoint and prevent the cause of illness, rather than treat its symptoms. Managing chronic diseases accounts for three quarters of our total healthcare costs, because we're masking these illnesses with pills and temporary treatments, rather than addressing their underlying c ...more
Published May 6th 2014 by Harper Wave (first published April 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Disease Delusion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disease Delusion

Jody
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I was touring healthcareland, I came across several doctors who couldn’t explain themselves in a way that I understood. Sometimes, I thought they didn’t fully understand themselves. Or that they didn't care enough or think I was smart enough to help me understand. Always, I thought that is definitely not going to be my doctor.
Dr. Jeffrey Bland, however, could be my doctor. Considered the godfather of functional medicine, he understands the complexity of the human condition and doesn't feel
Am Y
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Essentially a book on functional medicine, which means seeing symptoms as a sign of a deeper problem that something else is wrong with the body. (This is the exact view that Traditional Chinese Medicine holds by the way.)

The difference between this title and other books on the same topic, is that this one offers a "test" you can do at the start of each chapter, to determine if that particular area is problematic for you. For instance, at the start of the chapter called "Defense", there is a que
L.A.
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Posted First on Blog Critics as Book Review: 'The Disease Delusion' by Dr. Jeffrey S. Bland.

With incidents of diseases escalating and chronic illnesses careening out of control, it is time we took back the charge of our own health and lives. Yet with so much at stake and numerous information overloads where can we look for answers?

The Disease Delusion by Dr. Jeffrey S. Bland, is a treasure trove of information in looking for the root cause of so many plaguing issues. With precise information on
Alex Linschoten
Ok as a general introduction to some of the basic principles of functional medicine, though a bit one-size-fits-all in some respects, esp w/r/t nutrition. Overall a bit bland/unfocused, but if you've read nothing else in the area I suppose it's relatively harmless.
Ljonz
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Genetics made. . . not easy. . . but hopeful. Current research helps with understanding how lifestyle choices trump the cards we were born with. Great book for 2 a.m. epiphanies. . .
Keely
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
I opened up this book at random to a devastating passage that the authors says pretty much sums up his theory about functional (rather than standard Western allopathic) medicine - i.e., taking a more complex and interactive approach to a patient's health and what makes him or her unique.

The passage is about the Pima Indians and why they have such a high rate of diabetes. He writes: "The reason has long been ascribed to ethnicity, it being assumed that . . . Pima babies are dealt a bad genetic h
Kris
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was informative and provided good resources about personalized medicine. Since the mapping of our genome, there have been many discoveries of how changes in diet and environment affect overall health. Knowing that we can reverse chronic conditions with simple lifestyle changes in exciting. I've been following functional medicine for nearly 9 years, and this book is a culmination of where we are today. I appreciated Dr. Bland's review seven core physiological processes that mu ...more
Cherie
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Scary read, we are what we eat and will become what our choices dictate. There are some very interesting NEW ideas (new to me) and all the old things you know to be true, but just can't care about as you're eating your tootsie roll are presented in a new way, supported by well tested research. I would recommend reading this if you have any chronic issues. I would also recommend it to everyone that doesn't want to get a chronic issue!
Lisa
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because I have always thought as the author did. It's more likely to have 1 problem causing several symptoms than to have 3 or more separate disease states going on. He goes back to the gene level and helps you determine what environmental or dietary factors you need to alter to "get back to normal". He believes this were "cure" most chronic diseases since we only treat the symptoms in modern medicine.
Monica Willyard
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshare, medical
I read this book to help me form an action plan to improve my diabetes management. I found a lot of practical, immediately usable ideas in this book. The nice part about this book is that the ideas improve health across the board, not just with diabetes. My blood pressure is lower, and I've lost some weight too.
Paula Luna
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is very interesting and has lots of scientific explanations (much of which went over my head) that reinforce the theories. That encourages me to change my eating and exercise more often to try to overcome the dermatomyositis. It contains a health assessment which leads to dietary suggestions for improving symptoms which I found helpful and am hopeful that will make a difference.
Kristin
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Of course we should be treating the whole individual. Of course it makes sense that our medical model is based mainly on acute care. Lifestyle, diet, and environment play such a huge role in the expression of our genes and manifestation of chronic disease. This book was enlightening.
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is paradigm-shifting (if you haven't already been exposed to the ideas of functional medicine). I appreciated that with everything he asserts, he also backs up with research. The ideas in this book have the potential to transform our health and well-being.
Jason Howes
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
great book and eye opener. A must read by anyone interested in optimizing their health the new economy going forward and a great perspective on health.
Larisa
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Western medicine getting in line with Oriental Medicine and Aurvedic (sp) Medicine. Good reminder or great introduction to looking at whole body/life, not symptoms.
Robertcool
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book covered very important information about health. It was not an easy read due to scientific notes. The recipes look very good.
Tasha Nichole
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What is Functional Medicine?

FM helps create a specialized plan for the individual by looking at all factors that may be influencing chronic illness or disease. This book doesn't suggest ditching your doctor or getting off your prescriptions without consulting with them first. It does however help you take control of your own life. Doctors are smart, knowledgeable people. But sadly, they get maybe 2 hours of nutrition education while in med school and what they spend most of their time learning
Micah Grant
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
Such great information! There was a lot of science, in fact most of the book is the science and the studies, behind the chronic ills and why treating the symptoms just isn't working. I really wish there would have been more time spent on the recommendations and more details about the solutions, and not just the results of the surveys. But I've got some changes to make.
Daniel Souza
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Some great insights. It certainly affected my outlook on the links between disease, nutrition and environment. But there are so many complex nutritional ideas that it makes it seem a little unrealistic to attain in real life.
Sandra
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a helpful book written in easy to digest language for those who suffer from chronic disease.
Katie
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very informative, great resources, a little dry in the middle section but still worth the read.
Lori
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, nonfiction
No really new information, but it was interesting. Eliminate processed foods, exercise more, etc.
Wan Shoo
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read to completely understand functional medicine !highly recommend to read, for your health and well-being !
N.A. Fedorak
Sep 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Tadas Talaikis
Dec 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
OMC, scientific sounding pseudoscience. Wouldn't even bother to write something more. Belief in some compounds that would save your life is what it is - belief, not the reality.
Peter
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am not sure how to rave about this book hard enough!

if you have even the remotest interest in Functional Medicine and approaching your health from a holistic POV-> then I have to say YOU MUST GIVE THIS A GO!

I think I've read/listened to this at least a half a dozen times in total (some chapters more (iTunes says 14x all up)) during the 2 1/2 weeks i had this playing.. It was so informative and educational.

I'm not able to recommend this one enough!
Emily Serven
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Better than I expected. :) It's a good introduction for people wanting to take responsibility for their own health care. I appreciated the practical aspect of the questionnaires to help determine patterns in health problems. And I appreciated learning about the concept of investigating systems (energy, structure, cellular communication, detoxification, etc.) as opposed to simply investigating specific symptoms.
Alyson
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I started reading this book as part of a healthy eating group. I found it interesting and certainly learned a lot, even though a lot of it was above my head. Since our group stopped meeting I won't finish this book. I was amazed at the beautiful complexity of the human body but also a bit discouraged by how many things could go wrong.
Catie
Sep 05, 2014 marked it as quit-reads
I want so much to like this book but it is interminably boring. It can't decide if it's a self-help book or evidence-based science. Dr. Bland is a technically okay writer, but he's not flashy enough to keep me engaged as a reader. Think I'll pass on this one.
Eve Nolon
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Fascinating look at chronic disease and lifestyle/diet interventions. I wished it had covered a bit more on autoimmune disease and nutrient-dense foods, and the narrator definitely could have been better, but it was a solid read.
  • Dissolving Illusions
  • Betty's (Little Basement) Garden
  • Healing Lyme: Natural Prevention and Treatment of Lyme Borreliosis and Its Coinfections
  • Cannabis Pharmacy: The Practical Guide to Medical Marijuana
  • The Body Doesn't Lie: A 3-Step Program to End Chronic Pain and Become Positively Radiant
  • The Brain Fog Fix: Reclaim Your Focus, Memory, and Joy in Just 3 Weeks
  • Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause
  • Total Recovery: Solving the Mystery of Chronic Pain and Depression
  • The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils: The Science of Advanced Aromatherapy
  • The Gut Balance Revolution: Boost Your Metabolism, Restore Your Inner Ecology, and Lose the Weight for Good!
  • Tripping Over the Truth: The Metabolic Theory of Cancer
  • Boost Your Brain: The New Art and Science Behind Enhanced Brain Performance
  • The Immune System Recovery Plan: A Doctor's 4-Step Program to Treat Autoimmune Disease
  • Your Body Is Your Subconscious Mind
  • Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, NutraSweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health
  • The Good Gut: Taking Control of Your Weight, Your Mood, and Your Long-term Health
  • Desperate Sons: The Secret Band of Radicals Who Led the Colonies to War
  • An Epidemic of Absence: A New Way of Understanding Allergies and Autoimmune Diseases
“MY HEALTH SELF-ASSESSMENT   1.  Do you feel that your health has gotten worse over the past two years?” 0 likes
“Have you lost or gained more than 10 percent of your body weight over the past five years—even though you weren’t intentionally dieting?   3.  Do you have trouble going to sleep or staying asleep?   4.  Does pain in your joints or muscles limit your physical activity or mobility?   5.  Do you commonly feel fatigued for no apparent reason?   6.  Are you frequently depressed or anxious?   7.  Do you have problems with memory?   8.  Is there a consistent ringing in your ears?   9.  Do you feel that you are losing your strength? 10.  Do you take any prescription medications? Do you take more than two? 11.  How about over-the-counter medications? Do you commonly take any of these? a  Anti-inflammatories” 0 likes