Start by marking “King of Ashes (The Firemane Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
King of Ashes (The Firemane Saga #1)

King of Ashes

(The Firemane Saga #1)

The first volume in legendary master and New York Times bestselling author Raymond E. Feist’s epic heroic fantasy series, The Firemane Saga—an electrifying tale of two young men whose choices will determine a world’s destiny.

For centuries, the five greatest kingdoms of North and South Tembria, twin continents on the world of Garn, have coexisted in peace. But the balance o
Published May 8th 2018 by Harper Voyager (first published April 5th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about King of Ashes, please sign up.
cardulelia carduelis Update: publication should be May 2018, see publisher's page here; https://www.harpercollins.com/9780061...

NB: date in US style, e.g. MM/DD/YY
…more

NB: date in US style, e.g. MM/DD/YY
(less)

Start your review of King of Ashes (The Firemane Saga #1)
James Tivendale
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, freecopy
I received an advance reader copy of King of Ashes in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank Raymond E. Feist and Harper Voyager.

For many generations, the five great Kingdom's had enjoyed a time of peace and prosperity. Each realm had its own Monarch and the story begins with a great battle and the betrayal of Steveren Langene, the King of Ithrace. He is known as Firemane because of his bright red hair and his Kingdom was a place of arts, culture, and merriment. His former allies
TS Chan
I received an advanced reading copy in exchange for an honest review.

Feist is back in form as the King of Ashes establishes a promising and solid foundation for a completely new saga away from the massive Riftwar Cycles multi-series.

Five kingdoms used to co-exist in Garn, spread across the two continents of North and South Tembria. The Kingdom of Flames was destroyed by an act of betrayal and the ruling line of Firemanes completely wiped out, or so it was thought.

As different as the setting an
Gavin
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was a big fan of Feist's Riftwar books back in my younger days but lost track of the series more than a decade back. I was hoping that reading this brand new fantasy series of Feist's would inspire me to go back and try a full reread of the much more intimidatingly sized Riftwar series. Did King of Ashes achieve that goal? Probably not as this was not a fantastic fantasy story but it was a readable one despite its flaws!

I think King of Ashes was Feist's attempt to jump on the popular grimdark
Bradley
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having read the far majority of all of Feist's works before now, and even doing so recently, I was pretty astounded to learn that he had a NEW fantasy series. One that requires no previous knowledge or the need to rely on vast previous worldbuilding.

In other words, this is a perfect book to jump into, assuming you want an absolutely gorgeous and detailed kingdom, some rather fully-fleshed out political entities, and two ideal YA character-candidates reminiscent of some of Feist's much earlier (
Marielle
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-own
It was fantastic to read a new Feist book. It confirmed yet again that he is one of my favorite authors!
This book felt like the start of a great story but really like a start, hence 4 stars.
In the end it was really picking up and I can't wait for the next installment!
Zitong Ren
I was going to write a really long rant on how this is utter trash but honestly, I can’t be stuffed.
RG
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reread this and bumped it up to 4 *

It is interesting that the release date for this was a few weeks before in Australia vs the USA. I have always been a massive Feist fan, and grew up reading about Pug. It was probably one of my first ever fantasy reads which I became obsessed with. This has all the hallmarks of a Feist fantasy from that time period. We have assassins, political intrigue, young heroes growing into their own and a little romance. Feist has also added a touch of the more recent gr
Chad
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, edelweiss
Starts off in the middle of a battle with some Song of Ice and Fire like intrigue and nastiness. Four kingdoms of the land gang up on the fifth and wealthiest one and destroy it. Firemane's infant son is secretly spirited away. Then we flash-forward 17 years to when the boy, Hatu, has grown up. He's been raised in an island country that raises its children to be spies and assassins. We alternate chapters mainly between Hatu and Declan, an orphaned blacksmith beginning to make his way through the ...more
Maja Ingrid
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
3,5 stars

A good, interesting start to a new series!

It was also very fun to see how how much Feist's writing has developed from Magician to this one, because after +30 works and +30-some years there's gotta be some improvement done. And it definitely has, though he still got lots of his old style left.

The book built slowly and it took time for stuff to kick off. Sometimes it felt it drags a little. Lots felt like set up for the coming books. We only got to see little of the world but shit is brew
Joe Krakovsky
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"King of Ashes" was the last book in my pile of winnings from the Goodreads drawings. I regret that it took me this long to finish it, but I was busy. So now I would like to post my review.

Years ago in Japan, the ninjas were a force to be reckoned with. They were not only skilled assassins, who knew how to use all available weapons, but they were also masters of espionage. Both boys and girls were taught the various arts from childhood. They learned not only how to blend in to the population by
Andreas
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay so I totally loved this book. It's the first book by Raymond E. Feist I've ever read and I'm aware that he has written literally thousands of fantasy books and that I probably should've read at least one already. But hey, better late than never. I'm fully invested in this story and world, and I really want to continue with the series immediately but since book two was just released it most likely means that book three is years away, so I'll most likely hold off for a while.

One thing that bo
Sabrina
Jul 30, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Haven’t read anything by this author but heard great things about it. I’m very excited to read this.
And my copy came with a book marker. I’m really happy about that.
Scott
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
I received an ARC of this book and here is my honest review.

After 30 books in the Riftwar world which include 10 separate series Raymond Feist is back with a brand new series in a brand new world and it is amazing!

The prologue is about 50 pages and sets the stage...
Five kingdoms rule the twin continents until a great betrayal leads to the extermination of one of the kingdoms (Ithrace) by the other four.

The book follow the early lives of our two main heroes.
1. The rightful heir to Ithrace: he is
Robin Carter
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new Feist, not only a new Feist but a new series, this has been a book i have waited for with some anticipation. I’ve been a fan of this writers work since my early reading days, Magician was a revelation, how fantasy could be written, to be epic and sweeping, and yet immediate and crammed with great characters and prose. Raymond Feist created a unique voice and style and a world that has wowed fantasy readers for over 30 years.

click link for full review
Zoe Stewart (Zoe's All Booked)
This was the first Feist book I've read, and I'm impressed! I'm definitely going to have to read his other stuff now after this book. I loved his world-building, and the characters were so well done. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that some things were repeated a few times. The one that sticks out the most was the phrase "first among equals" when Master Zusara was mentioned. There were a couple more like this throughout, but it wasn't enough for me to rate the book any lower. ...more
Blaine
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
What upset me the most about this book was the potential I saw in it. I normally go for better writing but can overlook that if the concept is interesting enough, and there were some genuinely intriguing plot points that hooked me into it and kept me reading in the beginning. The whole thing, however, felt rushed and poorly executed. There was an enormous amount of repetition with respect to the narration that it felt like Feist was trying to shove 1 or 2 character traits down my throat rather t ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/05/07/...

I must preface this review with a confession: I had never read Raymond E. Feist before picking up King of Ashes, so I was going in with a completely blank slate and no pre-conceived notions of the author or the novel. What followed was a satisfying read, if a bit mundane and old hat at times. It seems to me that over the years, the genre has moved on from a lot of the ideas featured in this story. Nevertheless, I think i
Eric
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Rounding this up to 4 because, well, it’s Raymond E. Feist.

King of Ashes is the first book in a brand new trilogy from Raymond E. Feist, set in a new world unconnected to his dozens of Midkemia-related novels. As someone who grew up reading everything he wrote, and he wrote a LOT (Goodreads informs me Feist is my most read author), I was very excited to read something brand new from him. While I enjoyed the story, I was a little disappointed overall.

For centuries the Covenant has exis
The Nerd Daily
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Tasha Leigh

Previously Garn consisted of five kingdoms, each as strong and noble as the next. Until the day Lodavico, King of Sandura, betrayed the great kingdom of Ithrace and murdered its king Steveren and all the flame haired Firemanes, heirs to Ithrace’s throne. Satisfied with his conquest, Lodavico and the three other remaining realms engage in a semi-peaceful treaty, leaving the fallen kingdom in disrepair, its people losing all but a tiny
Colby
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Feist never disappoints. Decent coming of age novel setting up an epic tale of brotherhood magic and betrayal. Can't wait.
Sebastien Rault
Jun 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant
Flying Monkey
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
4 Stars!

Excellent 1st novel in The Firemane Saga. I’m looking forward to learning much more about the world, the magic system, and the characters in the next book. The characters development was excellent in King of Ashes and I’m hoping that continues.
Elizabeth Tabler
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Few authors have had the effect that Raymond Feist has had on the fantasy genre. He is as synonymous with grand fantasy novels as Stephen King is with horror. As of right now, Feist has written 30+ books, most notably the Riftwar Cycle. A collection of fantasy stories that revolve around the world of Midkemia and Kelewan. However, Feist's newest series, The Firemane Saga, has the potential to be as widespread and loved as the Riftwar Cycle.

“The queen had a late child, yes . . . ,” said Daylon.
Adam Sequoyah
Apr 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: giveaways
Since when did the genre known as Fantasy come to mean "political intrigue in a fake medieval Britain, plus some running away from bad guys"?

This is a book about a magic person, in which practically no magic is used or experienced whatsoever. But the thrilling plot! And the depth of the characters with all their relatable struggles! And the layered, unraveling mysteries bound to suck in any reader! ...No. The book merely sucks.

Granted, novels focused on politics bore me. Yes, unfortunately, even
Benjamin Thomas
I’ve read several excellent fantasy novels recently and so it was with some reluctance that I picked up this one, thinking the odds of yet another 5-star fantasy novel would be unlikely. Nevertheless, I was most pleasantly rewarded by perhaps the best of the batch, for this one started out as a wonderful read and sustained that all the way through.

The balance of power in North and South Tembria is reliant on the equality of the five greatest kingdoms, but this peaceful coexistence is shattered w
Jane
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

You can read all of my reviews at https://nerdgirllovesbooks.com/.

I am a huge fan of Raymond Feist and he does not disappoint in this new epic fantasy about the journey of two young orphans, one raised by a group of assassins and spies, and another by a master swordsmith, to learn their fate and the fate of the world on which they live.

Five great kingdoms on the twin continents of North and South Tembria have lived in relative peace for centuries, until one rogue king convinces the other
Scott  Hitchcock
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Very good open book that left me feeling remiss for not reading Mr Feist previous to this book. A lot of common themes seen throughout epic fantasy but I really like his writing style and the way he slowly thickens the plot.

Looking forward to the next book in this series.
Kazima
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Fans of Feist will be thrilled to discover a whole new world which Feist will explore in this new series. They may also find it refreshing that Feist has apparently refreshed his repertoire of fantastical settings and creatures/magics. Fans of Feist will not be disappointed, and will have easily found a new favorite epic fantasy to look forward to the coming years.

However, for those of us who are not proclaimed Feist fans (although have found him enjoyable enough in the past), I'm afraid we migh
Patrick St-Denis
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
You may recall that I used to be a huge Raymond E. Feist fan. Like many fantasy readers from my generation, my teenage years and early adulthood were spent reading the author's popular Riftwar, Serpentwar, and Empire series. I have so many fond memories from those books and their characters. The same goes for the Riftwar Legacy and Krondor's Songs sequences. These novels showcased a Raymond E. Feist writing at the top of his game and each new installment was an immediate bestseller.

And then, SFF
Pat
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When King of Ashes was published I bought it straight away being somewhat of a fan of Feist but promised myself I would wait until at least the second or maybe even all of The Firemane Saga was published before starting to read. I really enjoy a good trilogy (or series) read back to back, from beginning to end.
With my much shorter attention span these days I'm finding it difficult to get involved in many otherwise good books. Well I've had a few disappointments this year - my choices have been
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count Correction 3 10 Apr 14, 2021 12:27AM

• The Black Song (Raven's Blade, #2)
  • The Seventh Knight (The Kingshield #1)
  • The Jade Egg (The Chain Breaker Book 2)
  • Legacy of Ash (Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade, #1)
  • The King's Ranger (The King's Ranger #1)
  • The Risen Shard (The Chain Breaker #1)
  • The Fates of Yoran (The Chain Breaker Book 3)
  • Warbringer (Descendants of the Fall #1)
  • Scholar of Magic (Art of the Adept Book 3)
  • Ashes of the Sun (Burningblade & Silvereye, #1)
  • Ahren (The 13th Paladin, #1)
  • The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
  • Prince on the Run (The Adventures of Desolation Boxster #1)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • Last of the Dragorn (The Echoes Saga, #8)
  • A King's Bargain (Legend of Tal, #1)
  • A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
See top shelves…
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more

The Firemane Saga (3 books)
  • Queen of Storms (The Firemane Saga #2)
  • Master of Furies (The Firemane Saga, #3)

News & Interviews