Start by marking “The Price of Murder (Sir John Fielding, Book 10)” as Want to Read:
The Price of Murder (Sir John Fielding, Book 10)

The Price of Murder

(Sir John Fielding #10)

Blind eighteenth-century London judge Sir John Fielding returns in the tenth novel of Bruce Alexander's critically acclaimed mystery series.

In The Price of Murder, Sir John and Jeremy are drawn deep into the notorious Seven Dials section of London, where they must contend with the most sordid inclinations of both the working class and the aristocracy.

When the body of a
Published October 13th 2003 by Putnam Adult (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Price of Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price of Murder

Start your review of The Price of Murder (Sir John Fielding, Book 10)
Waverly Fitzgerald
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first Bruce Alexander novel read, and I'm wondering why I never heard of him before. I'll go back and start to read from the first in the series, Blind Justice. Meanwhile I enjoyed dropping in on the lives of these characters, who have obviously been together for a long time, without feeling like I'm entering a party where everyone knows each other as with some series. The plot is clever, revolving around a dead child fished out of the river Thames, and introducing us to a variety of surprisi ...more
Bonnieb
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 rating.
Third of this series I have read. Enjoyed the story and the continued character development as Jeremy grows in his role as assistant to Sir John Fieldng, the blind judge.
Wendy
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bruce Alexander's second to last of Sir John Fielding Series. What a wonderful book. This was most definitely one of my favorites. There are multiple story-lines in this novel where some are separate while others become smoothly entwined and then surprise and twist at the very end. I do not know if Bruce Alexander intended to conclude with 11 books, but it appears he started to dot his 'i's" and cross his "t's with many of the central characters in the last few books. I almost do not want to con ...more
Ellery Adams
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've read the entire Sir John series and am a strong admirer. I think Alexander is highly talented in his abilities to bring to life the gritty, dirty,and often violent streets of old London. I find Sir John to be a terrific character - with the gift of "seeing" into the hearts of men better than most blessed with perfect vision.
Meggie
I really found this tenth book boring. The main storyline was boring and developed to slow. My dislike with Clarissa was such that I really couldn't stand that girl at the end. I really don't know what Jeremy is seeing in her, she is an irritating girl. Overall, this part was boring and I missed Sir John in it, he was more of a secondary character in this part, sadly.
Melissa
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Seemed like more about horse racing than solving a murder.
Paul Weiss
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
An enjoyable, lightweight historical mystery!

The novel opens on a shocking, dark and deeply tragic note with a waterman's unsettling discovery of five year old Maggie Plummer's naked body floating in the Thames. That she has been brutally sexually molested outrages and appals the brilliant, blind magistrate, Sir John Fielding, who institutes an immediate, urgent investigation with the assistance of his protégé, Jeremy Proctor, and Jeremy's fiancée, Clarissa Roundtree. Jeremy and Clarissa, the in
Christopher Taylor
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
While I always enjoy this series of books, this wasn't the strongest outing of the tales. Each deals with the late 18th century judge Sir John Fielding, a blind judge whose Bow street runners and strong judicial sense was very formative in English law enforcement. The young law student and clerk who narrates the story starts as a 13 year old boy and grows to maturity in the house of Fielding, learning the law and helping to investigate crime.

In this novel, the story centers on the discovery of a
Virginia Tican
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deuteronomy is an extraordinary jockey for he is also a Gifted horse whisperer... and this ability he used to extract revenge upon the pedophile who destroyed his very young niece's future as well as ended her life... for the girl was just 8 years old but more like 5 in stature and too trustingly naive into the bargain. The events leading to the meting out of a form of Justice that may not be legal (but to a certain degree would be Moral and Just) would take Jeremy to the world of horse racing a ...more
Brian V
Feb 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Bonnie
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This series has a Dickensian feel in the characters, setting and plots. They're engrossing and enjoyable, mainly due to the narrator, who is a young man working to make his way in the world. There are also several different themes that are woven very neatly into the story, from the crimes investigated, in this case the worst is child molestation and murder, to the personal relations of the main characters of the series.
Mary
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first few pages almost had me convinced that this was going to be the driest of writing and that I would tire of the proper English.
I'm SO glad I kept reading!
Although it touches on some truly disturbing and despicable acts, the awfulness is handled with care and not belabored. The body count was high, but so was the interest level, so there you have it.
(Now I have to go back and read some of the first mysteries in this series...DANG!)
Marilyn Saul
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Always enjoyable, but I must admit I'm getting a little annoyed at Jeremy. He's supposedly so bright and eager to learn, yet he is in so many ways clueless and easily prone to umbrage when he thinks he's being slighted (when it's all in his clueless mind). Oh, well....I'll plow my way through the rest of the series :-)
Nae
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one, Alexander has a really deft touch bring Victorian England's underworld alive.
William
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book (and most of the previous books in this series) very much. I'm sad that there is only one more to go!
Regina
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not the most exiting „who done it“, but I loved the atmosphere and especially the language.
Cheryl Loman
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just love this series - the writing is impeccable - I have come to love the characters & the time period is one of my favorites - I will be sad when there are no more to enjoy. ...more
Jessica
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Wondering at the 4+ rating. Have only read Bruce Alexander's "Blind Justice." I liked it, and although this isn't a total wash, it's a thinner production. You can do better.
LJ
THE PRICE OF MURDER – VG
Bruce Alexander – 10th and final book in series
Set in Georgian England, blind magistrate, Sir John Fielding, and his young apprentice Jeremy Proctor investigate the brutal murder of a little girl whose mother had sold her into slavery. The trail leads Jeremy into the world of horse racing, as he joins forces with the victim's uncle, legendary jockey Deuteronomy Plummer. The challenges of the inquiry mount, as crucial witnesses turn up dead and evidence suggests that a mem
Spuddie
Dec 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#10 Sir John Fielding historical mystery. Sir John and Jeremy have (as usual) two investigations going--one regarding the body of a young girl found in the river, very obviously sexually abused and the other the disappearance of a childhood friend of Clarissa's. The dead child is found to have been the same one reported missing by her mother a few weeks previously, and now the mother's gone missing as well. After Jeremy brings a neighbor woman in to speak with Sir John regarding the disappearanc ...more
Rogue Reader
The penultimate Sir John Fielding mystery as Bruce Alexander Cook died in 2003, the year that The Price of Murder was published. Sir John is showing his age, physically and also intellectually. Jeremy increasingly is regarded as a man of ability and skill, by Sir John as well as those he encounters on the streets. This mystery takes Jeremy to the racetrack, reprehensible characters and high stakes are at the track, and also throughout the narrative. One more to go in this wonderful historical se ...more
Sally
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoy this series more as I read more of them. His sense of place and time usually rings true. I believe he has studied his history. Sir John Fielding, I have just learned, was a real person. I have no idea at this time how much fact he has introduced into his tales, but they are pleasant and easy to read. He generally wraps up all the details, something I appreciate.

I recommend this series.
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Historical mystery. Assigned and read this for my Mystery Mondays book club. I found the book a bit tedious. Some characters were quite interesting and fleshed out, others not so much. Unfortunately, one of those was the protagonist. I found the relationship between Jeremy and Clarissa trying, stilted, and annoying, but most everyone in the group really enjoyed their relationship, finding it delightfully comic. Who knows? Not my cup of tea, but it was generally liked by all.
Rhonda
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
i enjoyed this one - as usual - and liked the progression on the characters and the "big picture" story line. i'm sad to know that there is but one more in the series. jeremy has matured so much and i like the young man he has become - what a great series this has been and what a what a great job alexander has done of bringing the period to life.
Karen
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really reminded me of a Dick Francis mystery since it had horse racing involved. Moved too slow in some spots, but i loved the ending. I did not care to much for the Clarissa character too much and did not get why the jacket says the blind magistrate is the detective when the young fellow really is, but still liked it.
Dorothy
Aug 03, 2008 rated it liked it
This wonderful series continues in its tenth installment. Sir John Fielding and Jeremy are as vivid in their characters as Holmes and Watson and they are just as effective as a team. Reading this - preferably after having read all other nine in the series - will just leave you wanting more.
Amy
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is quite possibly my favorite Sir. John Fielding book. I love the plot and the interplay between characters. I really enjoyed the way the story develops. This is the second to last of this series and I can't wait to finish it.
Joe
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
See my review of the initial novel in the series, Blind Justice.
Dawn
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another sordid murder in London, more great characters and a foray into the horse racing world continue to make this a great series.
Serena
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:

• Lethal Pursuit (Barker & Llewelyn, #11)
  • The Yard (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #1)
  • The Gate Keeper (Inspector Ian Rutledge #20)
  • The Black Ascot (Inspector Ian Rutledge #21)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #18)
  • The Black Country (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #2)
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
  • Dark Tide Rising (William Monk #24)
  • House on Fire (Nick Heller #4)
  • Games in Londinium
  • Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr, #10)
  • The Laws of Murder (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #8)
  • The Darkest Lullaby
  • When the Music's Over (Inspector Banks, #23)
  • A Silent Death
  • Final Target (Jonathan Grave, #9)
  • Where the Dead Lie (Sebastian St. Cyr, #12)
Pseudonym of American journalist and author Bruce Cook.

Bruce Alexander Cook (1932–2003) was an American journalist and author who wrote under the pseudonym Bruce Alexander, creating historical novels about a blind 18th century Englishman and also a 20th century Mexican-American detective.

Sir John Fielding (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1)
  • Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4)
  • Jack, Knave and Fool (Sir John Fielding, #5)
  • Death of a Colonial (Sir John Fielding, #6)
  • The Color of Death (Sir John Fielding, #7)
  • Smuggler's Moon (Sir John Fielding, #8)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • Rules of Engagement (Sir John Fielding, #11)

News & Interviews