Start by marking “Tibetan Peach Pie: A True Account of an Imaginative Life” as Want to Read:
Tibetan Peach Pie: A True Account of an Imaginative Life

Tibetan Peach Pie: A True Account of an Imaginative Life

Internationally bestselling novelist and American icon Tom Robbins's long-awaited tale of his wild life and times, both at home and around the globe

Tom Robbins's warm, wise, and wonderfully weird novels–including Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, Another Roadside Attraction, and Jitterbug Perfume–provide an entryway into the frontier of his singular imagination. Madcap but
Published May 27th 2014 by Ecco

To ask other readers questions about Tibetan Peach Pie, please sign up.
Jerome Like Hunter S.Thompson, he is a cancer,full of cancer zodiac traits & then on top of that,a true original with an eccentric upbringing/childhood…moreLike Hunter S.Thompson, he is a cancer,full of cancer zodiac traits & then on top of that,a true original with an eccentric upbringing/childhood who happened to be born at the right time & in the right place in this world to enhance his individuality/craft to the utmost level...seemingly,just for him!
And "Maverick" is not a title people should just throw around & onto anyone,but Mr.Robbins,most assuredly deserves that distinction.
No equal indeed.(less)

Start your review of Tibetan Peach Pie: A True Account of an Imaginative Life
switterbug (Betsey)
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
My fandom for Tom Robbins stretches for over 30 years, and even the moniker I chose for Amazon (and now Goodreads) over a decade ago is a riff on his work--Switterbug from Switters, the protagonist in Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates, and Jitterbug Perfume, my favorite TR novel. There's a handful of authors whose entire oeuvre I have read, and Robbins is one of them. He got me through college, some low times, and some high times. He authored my favorite quote, which I continue to utter: ...more
Kirk Smith
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You can have your Richard Farinas, Brautigans, Ken Keseys, your Keroucs or Ginsbergs, I'll take mine as a Tom Robbins. If I were to pick a Shaman, a literary Guru guy--- he's my man. - While those guys were sticking daisies on school buses drinking watermelon sugar Tom was bopping back and forth between coasts writing Art Reviews for various newspapers and honing his skills, developing into the cosmic comic genius and philosopher that brought us eight brilliant novels. - It begins with Another ...more
Arthur Graham
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
From the beginning, imagination has been my wild card, my skeleton key, my servant, my master, my bat cave, my home entertainment center, my flotation device, my syrup of wahoo; and I plan to stick with it until the very end.

Say whatever else you want about the guy, but even Robbins' harshest critics will have to admit that he's plugged into something beyond most writers creatively. Whether playing with language and thematic elements, exploring the inner worlds of and interconnections between
Vanessa
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could listen to Tom Robbins’ stories all day, he’s just gifted with words and humour and unlike any other writer I’ve come across. A master wizard of words magical and wonderful with plenty of the bizarre. I’d love to have an inch of his talent. Part memoir part imaginative recollections I loved being inside his wonderful mind. I’ve only ever read one Tom Robbins book before which I read as a teenager and I just know I’d appreciate it today way more than I did back then. Also top props to the ...more
Nick Iuppa
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tibetan Peach Pie

Now in his 80s, Tom Robbins’s reminiscences about his creative life are just as caustic, irreverent, funny, and generous as anything he’s ever written. In Tibetan Peach Pie, Robbins reflects on his life, art criticism, the benefits of marijuana (but no other drugs), the golden age of publishing (long gone), his world travels (including some really scary and dangerous experiences in Timbuktu), being investigated by sexy FBI agents (who didn’t return his Christmas cards), his love
Allen Murphey
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found Robbins's (what -- memoir?) fun and insightful, very enjoyable. Robbins fans should enjoy his stories of growing up, traveling the world, and maturing (correct word choice?) into the writer he is. I grew up with the counter culture, drugs, and hippies; twenty years my senior, Robbins's unique style shares with me vivid, in-depth glimpses into himself and into the country as it was evolving through the 1960s and 1970s, changing into the society I encountered.

For readers unfamiliar with
Veronica Zaleha
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lena
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
I discovered Tom Robbins via Jitterbug Perfume in high school, and spent the next several years as an avid fan. Aside from tracking down the exotically named Alexa D'Avalon, rumored to be the author's girlfriend, to have my tarot cards read, I never gave a great deal of thought to the man himself. I assumed he had sprung, fully formed like Venus, into the pantheon of psychedelic authors and never dared imagine the path that could have created such a mind.

In Tibetan Peach Pie, Robbins gives some
Madeline
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for an audiobook online at my library to listen to for my commute. Not one of the books I have been waiting for were yet available. I saw Tibetan Peach Pie by Tom Robbins. I've heard of him but never read any of his novels. I thought I'd listen to it and send it back if I didn't like it.

Tom Robbins is now in his 80's, more than 3 decades older than myself. What could he possibly say to keep my interest. Boy was I mistaken. Tom Robbins is a wonderfully talented, intellectual, word
Sophie
When I finished this book I was left with a big smile on my face!
Having read nothing by Tom Robbins, I only picked up this novel because of a recommendation, I didn't know what to expect. However, I soon became obsessed with his effortless writing style, which made TPP feel like a game.
William Koon
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Tom Robbins and I were on the staff of the Ring Tum Phi at Washington and Lee University. At vastly different times. I taught his work Skinny Legs and All with great joy and enthusiasm. At one time little girls would "gift" me with copies of Another Road Side Attraction. Michael sent me a copy of Fierce Invalids which he had Robbins sign to me. I treasure it.

As I treasure this memoir. I know much more about Robbins than I did before. He grew up about nine miles from the place I call home. He
George
INTERESTING AND ENTERTAINING...

"The sixties, you see, were characterized not by manners but by fantasy."—page 249

'Tommy Rotten' is an octogenarian. Where's the fairness in that?

In my personal pantheon of heroes Tom Robbins, arguably the greatest wordsmith of the twentieth century, has long ranked above the Norse Gods and Goddesses. I have read, and vastly enjoyed, all ten of the books listed on the 'also by tom robbins' page.

Thus it was to my chagrin and dismay that I found portions of his
britt_brooke
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
“Be careful what goes into your mouth and what comes out of it.”

This sort-of memoir was somehow my first Tom Robbins. While none of the stories particularly blew me away, I loved his writing style and humor. He seems like my kind of people. Excited to read one of his novels soon!
Bradley
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Robbins was my favorite author for a while during high school, so it was great to read the first book that I’ve enjoyed by him in over a decade (I wasn’t a fan of B Is for Beer). It starts out with stories from his childhood. I initially had trouble getting into it and only read it little by little on the toilet, but it hit its stride for me around the time he started writing about himself when he was in his twenties. That’s when it stopped seeming less like a book of extremely short stories ...more
William
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's taken me a long time to finish this book, partly because I've had a lot of distractions but mostly because I didn't want it to be over with. I've read all of Tom Robbins' books and I wanted to savor this one. It is hard to believe he is in 80s and still writing with such youthful verve. It is definitely a bit of nostalgia for readers of a certain age, but I'm sure it would entertain others as well.
Landon
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun read. Quirky stories and quirkier sentences. I wish he’d have spent as much time fleshing out his stories as he spent getting his prose to flow like a psychedelic chicken stampede.

Nancy Brisson
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tom Robbins has written a new book with the title Tibetan Peach Pie: A True Account of an Adventurous Life. I haven’t read a Tom Robbins book in years but he rated high enough in my book memories for me to add his newest publication to my list. Then someone else, a friend of mine, read it and seemed so happy about it that I moved the book to the top of my list and downloaded it to my Kindle. It’s not my usual fare because it is a memoir, but I have enjoyed a few other memoirs recently.

Tom
Robert Kenny
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Tom Robbins is a brilliant writer of fiction and one of my favorite authors of all time. However, I was a little disappointed by his autobiography. There were some funny and insightful moments, as one expects when reading Robbins, but far too much of the book was "I was dating this hot chick one time" or "I could've hooked up with these hot chicks." For a man who has lived such a fascinating life and has gone on so many adventures, this book did not live up to its full potential. Robbins seemed ...more
Anthony Clair
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
The hardest thing about Tom Robbins is that the writing jazzes me up so much it's hard to sit still.

Nonetheless, reading Tibetan Peach Pie left me with a big smile. As an author I take a lot of comfort in his journey. I also chuckle at how someone known for his "counterculture" books benefited so much from the "golden age of expense accounts". Fair enough.

Everything about TPP is about the experiences that have shaped Tom Robbins and his books. It's also about making the reader more and more
Melody
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
So much fun! A little hard to keep track of the wives, but I can't hold that against a guy. Robbins is in fine form throughout this rollicking memoir, with a million little throw-away lines that had me gasping with laughter. I was lucky enough to see him at Powell's, and he read parts of this to his rapt audience, so I knew, at least partially, what I was in for. If you are a Robbins fan already, this one is not to be missed. The audio is particularly well-done.
Harley
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read three of Tom Robbins novels back in the 1970's and 80's so I found this memoir humorous and engaging. Robbins is a master of the metaphor and the language. I laughed my way through this book and am glad that Robbins wrote it. I listened to it and believe the humor was even stronger because I heard the words spoken. I recommend it to those who love to laugh and who love the work of Tom Robbins.
Barbara
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a mind. The most creatively outrageously bedazzledly woodpeckerish author. Quite a horndog in his early days. His metaphors and similes cannot be beat.
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I really enjoyed this "not an autobiography". Tom Robbins has such a way with words. I saved several of the quotes to go back to. Some I saved as examples of wonderful descriptive writing, others were saved for easy access in the future, and I was captivated by his discourse on tomatoes. Maybe that was because it was summer and my tomatoes were turning red in the garden as I read. My mother remembers eating tomato sandwiches and craved them after I told her about this book.

I suspect this will be
Em
Apr 21, 2014 added it
Shelves: biography-memoir, arc
The mind behind such memorable characters as Can o’ Beans, Bonanza Jellybean, a couple of outlaw redheads, a Tanuki, Switters and Q-Jo, offers us a glimpse at himself. Tom Robbins’ latest book, Tibetan Peach Pie: A True Account of an Imaginative Life is touted as a “memoir” and “autobiography” but the author submits “that it is to the typical memoir what Dumbo is to the typical elephant.”
Indeed.
This pie goes down easier than a spiced greasy gin, and is as delightful as it is delicious.
Robyn
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
4 1/2 stars. I haven't read a lot of Tom Robbins since my mid-twenties and really wasn't sure if an autobiography was going to be worth the read. Sure, I like his writing style, but has he lived the kind of life worthy of documentation (it is my general assumption that all writers sit in dimly lit rooms with nothing but their typewriter and their imagination.) Luckily I was wrong, Robbins has lived a fascinating life made even better by his fantastic storytelling abilities.
Michael Jay
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was thoroughly enjoyable. I need to go and find some of his other work. My best friend and her best friend loved his work. Cindy, I will have to find an audiobook for you. Maybe this is fun to listen to in the car, too.
Kurt
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tom Robbins is an amazing writer with an incredible talent in the use of words, his life stories and the formative experiences are no less amazing.
Nd
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a slow read, but I really loved it. What an incredible book, and what an incredible life he has led. I remember reading and enjoying a couple of his books in the '70s, but he had fallen off my radar until I picked up Tibetan Peach Pie. There may have been copyists over the years, but Robbins' facility for creating images through unorthodox use of and manipulation of words is unparalleled, as is his imagination.

I jotted down many favorites (both in context and in general) while reading
Patricia
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I did this as an audio book and I found at points I had completely tuned out. Not sure I would have finished it if it were a paperbook. Maybe it's because he's in his 80s now, but Robbins just came across as a dirty old man who you'd feel was undressing you with his eyes if you were in the same room with him. He did have some decent stories, but I felt like they were the ones later in his life. This book was a healthy reminder how we all look back on our lives in a more romantic light than it ...more
Alicia
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t really want to read a memoir when I started this book, but of course I was very quickly enthralled by Tommy Rotten’s fascinating life and fun look back on his adventures and misadventures. This is a must read for any Robbins fan out there.
Around the Year i...: Tibetan Peach Pie, by Tom Robbins 1 19 May 13, 2016 07:41PM

• Tom Robbins: The Kindle Singles Interview (Kindle Single)
  • Even Cowgirls Get the Blues & My Own Private Idaho
  • Keeping It Real (Quantum Gravity #1)
  • Going Under (Quantum Gravity #3)
  • Selling Out (Quantum Gravity #2)
  • Living Next Door to the God of Love
  • Silver Screen
  • A Replacement Life
  • Little Mariner
  • The Sky Road (The Fall Revolution, #4)
  • The Star Fraction (The Fall Revolution, #1)
  • Engine City (Engines Of Light, #3)
  • The Cassini Division (The Fall Revolution, #3)
  • Divisions: The Second Half Of The Fall Revolution (The Fall Revolution, #3, #4)
  • Newton's Wake: A Space Opera
  • The Engines Of Light
  • The Stone Canal (The Fall Revolution, #2)
  • Learning the World: A Scientific Romance
Thomas Eugene Robbins (born July 22, 1936 in Blowing Rock, North Carolina) is an American author. His novels are complex, often wild stories with strong social undercurrents, a satirical bent, and obscure details. His novel Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1976) was made into a movie in 1993 directed by Gus Van Sant.

“It's a privilege to love someone, to truly love them; and while it's paradisaical if she or he loves you back, it's unfair to demand or expect reciprocity. We should consider ourselves luck, honored, blessed that we possess the capacity to feel tenderness of such magnitude and be grateful even when that love is not returned. Love is the only game in which we win even when we lose.” 14 likes
“(1) When a situation has become too frustrating, a quandary too persistently insolvable; when dealing with the issue is generating chronic discontent, infringing on freedom, and inhibiting growth, it may be time to quit beating one’s head against the wall, reach for a big fat stick of metaphoric dynamite, light the fuse, and blast the whole unhappy business nine miles past oblivion. (2) After making an extreme effort, after pulling out all the stops, one is still unable to score Tibetan peach pie, take it as a signal to relax, grin, pick up a fork, and go for a slice of the apple.” 11 likes