Start by marking “Bird Box” as Want to Read:
Bird Box

Bird Box

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  40,593 Ratings  ·  6,468 Reviews
Something is out there, something terrifying that must not be seen. One glimpse of it, and a person is driven to deadly violence. No one knows what it is or where it came from.

Five years after it began, a handful of scattered survivors remains, including Malorie and her two young children. Living in an abandoned house near the river, she has dreamed of fleeing to a place w
Published May 13th 2014 by Ecco (first published March 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Bird Box, please sign up.

Charlotte Yes, supposedly, I know this question was asked six months ago, and I hope you see this answer. In the inside back cover of my copy, it tells me that…moreYes, supposedly, I know this question was asked six months ago, and I hope you see this answer. In the inside back cover of my copy, it tells me that the film rights have been sold to the director who directed the film, Mama. So, I'm not sure if it's actually being made into a film, but supposedly the script is in place at the studios. As somebody else said, I'm not sure how they'll cover the creatures, because in the book it's easily left to the imagination as they are never explained or even seen by the reader--so the movie could easily ruin the premise if they screwed up on that big detail.(less)
Denise
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

karen
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
this is an incredibly original horror/psychological suspense novel that reminds us that with all great horror, the unseen is so much more terrifying than the seen. this is why japanese horror movies are so effective. they don't rely on graphic special effects to build the suspense, and the way they manipulate shadows, sounds, and background space creates an unparalleled atmosphere that leaves a more lasting, haunting impression than "crazy chainsaw-toting psychopath" splatter films. which, don't ...more
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Night Film
Shelves: favorites, own
(rating bumped from 4 up to 5 stars after thinking about it more)

A few days ago when I finished this book, initially I was pissed off and disappointed at the ending. It leaves a lot of questions unanswered, but upon a few days' reflection I've realized that it was the only realistic way this could end. SO, if you are wary of reading this because you don't want an open ending, don't be! Malerman made the right choice in leaving some things unknown, because ultimately it works best for this type o
Jeffrey Keeten
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jeffrey by: Will Byrnes
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
”Creatures…
infinity…
our minds have ceilings, Malorie...
these things...
they are beyond it…
higher than it…
out of reach…
out of--

BUT HERE”

photo closed-eyes_zpsd72b92b6.jpg
Whatever you do DON’T OPEN YOUR EYES!!

Malorie has just confirmed she is pregnant the very day that people begin killing themselves. News travels so fast now. Something can happen in Cairo. Someone can film it, load it to the internet, and within minutes of the event occurring someone in Des Moines is watching what happened. News, mostly tragic news, from around
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Holy crap on a cracker, y'all! This book! Creepsville!!

Don't freaking go outside without your blindfold or you might open your eyes.

I must say, if I had to choose what apocalypse I would be in, I would pick the zombies because at least you can go outside and see them and kill them. Unless you're blind and then your up sh•t creek.

One day they start getting reports of people seeing things and then turning violent and killing people and themselves. And of course you start thinking, wth?

Malorie
Will Byrnes
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Close your eyes and imagine the basso sound of voiceover icon Don LaFontaine intoning, “In a world gone mad…” and that is pretty much where Bird Box begins. Open your eyes and go mad. Kill others, yourself. Can you keep from peeking? For how long? In Josh Malerman’s post-apocalyptic, eye-opening scare-scape, something happened. An invasion? Some natural phenomenon? No one is really certain. But what has become clear is that anyone who steps outside with their eyes open goes insane, not just gibb ...more
Mandy
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Just wow! Bird Box was amazing! This definitely lived up to the hype that everyone spoke of. I highly recommend this book if you want your mind to be twisted and turned in ways you can't imagine. Creepy, terrifying, horrid, and downright scary! Loved it! Would make an interesting movie......
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
2.5 stars.

I would not last in the apocalyptic world set out in this book. My dad used to say I had nose problems because let's face it. I have to know what's going on. Walking around for 4 years with a blindfold on every time I went outside? Yeah, dead in less than 60 seconds.
Not this kind of blindfolded either.

This book doesn't give the reader many answers. I do know what the author was going for. The whole scary in the mind of the reader thing. The thing is I need some answers. I get all ants
Kaceey
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Hold on tight...this trip is going to blow your mind!

Horror is a genre that I normally avoid completely, but with the rave reviews from my GR friends for this book I felt I needed to step out and give it a try. And it was so incredibly good! Oh my God!

Malorie and her sister Shannon move in together in Detroit. Life immediately throws her a curve ball. Malorie learns she's pregnant from a brief encounter with someone she didn't know well, and thinks this is as bad as it gets. Not even close! Some
Trudi

Whoah. This is some really good shit. Color me very impressed. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked this one up, but it totally delivered on tension and suspense, a palpable dread, and a suffocating sense of doom.

Just as a launching off point I'm going to throw two pop culture references at you that I couldn't stop thinking about while reading this book. The first is the music video "Just" by Radiohead. Remember that's the one where there's this guy who just lies down in the
Norma
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sister-reads
Sister Read Review by Norma & Brenda

Holy Sh*tty Balls this was one heck of a creepy book!

5 creeped out Stars for Norma & 4 freaking out Stars for Brenda!
So for the purpose of this Sister Read it gets a combined rating of 4.5 Stars!

BIRD BOX by JOSH MALERMAN is a wonderfully creepy, scary, eerie, and downright terrifying tale that grabbed our attention right from the very start to the heart-pounding finish.  This book was extremely hard to put down!

BIRD BOX made us both feel fearful
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Where the hell do I start with reviewing this book? Unlike nothing I've read in a long time this one is a stand out read like no other for me this year. I had wanted to read this for ages and so glad I finally did.

Emotions stirred reading this book I think covered them all, I noted how on edge I was constantly reading this novel. From early pages to the last I was fixated, addicted and full of tension, bordering on fear at times.

Something is out there, something terrifying that must not be seen.
mark monday
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fantastic book. there are a bunch of excellent 4-star reviews out there and I'm not sure I have a whole lot more to add.

synopsis: it's the end of the world as we know it. creatures from somewhere roam the streets. to gaze upon them means certain doom, or at least a murderous, suicidal insanity. the world soon realizes that something very wrong is happening everywhere. four years later, our heroine and two children must take a blindfolded river journey to an uncertain destination.

sound is a key
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
1 DEC 2016: Only $1.99 on Kindle! Totally worth it (to me at least.)

You can't ever look at it or you will go violently insane. That is basically the premise of this book. What is it? What are they? Why are they here? What is it that people see that makes them go crazy? You'll have to read it to find out.

I LOVED THIS BOOK. I can't believe it was a first novel either. This guy knocked it out of the park, if you ask me. So creepy. A perfect blend of suspense and horror mixed in with an end-of-the-w
Maciek
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Bird Box offers a well-known premise - the world as we know it suddenly coming to an end, and the few who survived trying to cope with the new reality - but with an interesting twist (certainly a desirable addition to the formula which, much as I enjoy it, is now beginning to resemble a really dead horse). This is both a good, and a bad thing - and the book is also both these things, as it began well but ended up being disappointing.

The hook of Bird Box is, like in much post-apocalyptic fiction,
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

EDIT: 4.5 STARS AND ROUNDED UP BECAUSE IDGAF

For maybe the second time in the history of Goodreads, I'm changing my initial rating of a book and floating my review. I don't really give a shit if you don't like this book - I liked it enough for everyone. I liked it so much that I constantly think about it whenever I hear a creepy noise in the dark or think how terrifying it would be if I had to face potential superbadawfuls blin
Reading Corner
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Wow!This book is incredibly good and quite creepy.The story follows Malorie who is stuck in a post-apocalyptic world where people are killing themselves, in any manner possible and no one knows why.The premise of the book is completely enrapturing and leaves you anxious for the next chapter.I absolutely loved the post-apocalyptic element in this book as it was done so well and was unique.

For the most part, the plot switches between the past and present to reveal the the direction of the
Brenda
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sister review with Norma!

So freaking out creepy, GOOD! Those are not words I thought I would ever put together. What were those things?

Our full sister review can be found on our sister blog

Christine
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christine by: Picked for me by Jan

A big thank you to my wonderful book buddy Jan for picking this book for me to read. I had initially marked it, but when I started seeing people place it on their “horror shelves” I backed off. I do not do horror, no way. When I was told this was more “creepy” than “horror(ible)”, I thought I would go ahead and give it a shot. Boy, was I surprised at how much I got into this novel!

Josh Malerman is an author to watch for sure. I was immediately drawn into this strange tale and was totall
Jen
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I should have read this book blindfolded. People are killing themselves and no one knows why. They know whatever is out there, if they should see it, it will cause them to go mad and end in their death. They are being hunted but without sight, they can survive. A quick and easy read but one that will leave you feeling tense and on edge. I don't typically run to these kind of reads and in this case, I was trying to run from it. Not a lot of depth but who needs it when you have a lot of fear.
Go a
Maxwell
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2016
WOooooOow. This book was thrilling. It was an addictive, (somewhat) scary, fascinating read. I feel like this would be a great book to recommend to people who don't read a lot because it's not too long, it's easy to read, and it is unputdownable. I don't want to say anything else about this book because it's so much more fun going into it with no previous knowledge. Also I imagine this would make a great audiobook too. So if you like creepy thrillers definitely check this one out!
Carol
Holy Shit! Why did I wait so long to read this thriller?

Wonderfully creepy from start to finish, Bird Box made me feel the eerie presence of the mysterious creatures behind my blindfold and hear the sounds of madness! It takes an awful lot to creep me out, but Bird Box succeeded with the suspenseful intenseness of the unknown all the way to the apropos ending.

Be very careful who you trust, but do not miss out on this one! And, oh.....(view spoiler)

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

Finally I read this - been hearing about it for years. One of those books I wanted to read but can't procrastinating on starting for some odd mystery that will never be solved - much like the creatures in this book.

Tense and gripping with an isolated, claustrophobic atmosphere, Bird Box was hard to put down once the somber, surreal tone sucked me in. I didn't get into the beginning right away - it was ou
Courtney Wells
A genuinely tense, terrifying read. When I wasn't whipping through pages I had to put the book down to take a break from the suspense.

This is great, gripping story that emphasizes creepiness and primal fear over violence while still proving itself to fans of survival and psychological horror. I'd recommend it to anyone willing to tease their fear of the unknown.
Jan
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, paranormal
5 big, bold, humongous stars!!!

I loved every single thing about this book--every creepy, tense, suspenseful, action filled page!!!

I'm not quite sure how to even label this book as there are so many dimensions to it. While it is definitely suspenseful, there is such a haunting quality to the writing that it's not like any thriller I've ever read. While there is death and madness, it's not at a level that I would consider a true horror either. The plot is definitely center stage here, along with t
Annet
Wow, what a book! Seriously scary and creepy. You just have to keep reading to know how it ends. At least, I had to.... Who can think of such a story...
Suspension and creepiness from start to end, intriguing story. What's going on? What happened leading up to this situation? Will she and kids survive? .... Wew.... one h*ll of a story.
I say, this is also a seriously impressive case of woman power! Great, great, entertaining book.
AB: Looking back at my books in 2015, upgraded this one to five s
Phrynne
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4000-books
I really enjoyed this one! Dystopian/horror must be my cup of tea because I could not put it down. I loved the idea of an alien that you must not look at and I loved the execution of the story in that the reader never gets to see it either. Which was great because nothing seen could actually live up to the fear of the unknown and what our imaginations conjure up.
Malorie is the perfect female main character who goes beyond everything to save the lives of two babies and raises them to survive in t
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Before writing this review I had planned to give this book a 3.5 rating. See my actual rating? Oops.

Where I'm from we don't celebrate Halloween. What can I say, we're weird like that. Well we do have some kind of celebration. Yes, we do. We put pots of depressing-looking chrysanthemum on tombstones. Yay! Think of it as Día de los Muertos without the cool stuff. So instead of getting this:

We get something like this:

Party on. I'm telling you, we know how to have a good time. Anyway, the point is (
RedemptionDenied
Well, this had a different take after an apocalyptic event.

The craziness starts in Russia, where people are going on a murderous rampage; then killing themselves. Malorie who lives in Michigan, with her sister Shannon - is in the bathroom examining herself in the mirror: as she believes she may be pregnant after having a one-night-stand. Shannon is watching the news reports of similar incidents to those in Russia and advises Malorie that there are people going insane in Alaska and Canada, as wel
Arah-Lynda
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-said, lets-get-real
Chilling…………………………….

DON’T OPEN YOUR EYES.

You will be fine as long as you do not leave the house. All precautions must be taken. Windows completely covered, doors secured, protocols for any necessary outdoor activity strictly adhered to. PERIOD.

The real danger is out there. But you must not see it. Ever.

The time has come, if they are to survive, Malorie must leave this house and take her four year old boy and girl with her.

They must take the river.

They must go blindfolded.

Just listen.

They must
Robin Hobb
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was really hard to decide on stars for this one.

I read it obsessively, finishing it very quickly. The story pulled me in and swept me along.

But in various places in the book, I found myself exclaiming, "But that's such a stupid thing to do!" Or "No one I know would do that! What is wrong with these people!?"

But at the end of the book, when I was still fuming a bit, I realized that all my growling was due to my deep involvement with the characters. So I'm giving it four stars, because I have t
Your mind... 17 175 Aug 01, 2017 04:34PM
  • Southern Gods
  • Mr. Shivers
  • The Lesser Dead
  • Snowblind
Josh Malerman is the author of BIRD BOX and the singer/songwriter for the band THE HIGH STRUNG.
More about Josh Malerman...

“It's better to face madness with a plan than to sit still and let it take you in pieces.” 116 likes
“In a world where you can’t open your eyes, isn’t a blindfold all you could ever hope for?” 15 likes