Start by marking “The English Heiress” as Want to Read:
The English Heiress

The English Heiress (Heiress #1)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  346 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Leonie de Conyers’ life had been destroyed by the French Revolution. Her mother and brother had died in the prison where she had been raped and starved for no greater crime than her father’s title. And her father had died in the escape engineered by an utter stranger, who claimed he had come to bring her to England where she would inherit the property and wealth of an uncl ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 379 pages
Published September 15th 1980 by Dell (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The English Heiress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The English Heiress

Lisa Kay
This book is one of my favorite historical romance stories of all time. It has jostled from my number one, above all others, on only a few occassions since I first read it in the 1980’s. I love both the hero and heroine. Roger is not the typical rake needing reforming, he is a man who – after an emotionally abusive relationship with his first wife – doesn’t realize what a wonderful hero he is. He is not all that dark and brooding (though I love those type too), he is just you’re average handsome ...more
Misfit
This is the first in Gellis' Heiress Series and begins during the French Revolution. The De Conyers family home ransacked, the women sexually abused and now imprisoned by the revolutionaries, Roger St. Eyre is sent into France to rescue the De Conyers family and bring them home to England (they are half French/half English). The only member of the De Conyers family to make it out of prison alive is Leonie and she and Roger flee for Paris in an effort to find a way out of France and end up unable ...more
Dorian
Jun 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-ebooks
This is a historical romance set during the French Revolution - not a period I'm especially interested in, but I enjoyed the book.

The hero and heroine are both a bit broken, the hero because his (now dead) wife was selfish, extravagant, unfeeling, and frigid; the heroine because she has been imprisoned, raped, and forced to prostitute herself, plus her mother and younger brother have died in their imprisonment. They meet when the hero comes to France seeking her father, who has unexpectedly inhe
Elizabeth
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it for the romance, but enjoyed it for the historical detail. I’m particular about my historical fiction. Fictionalized accounts of real historical figures tend to drive me crazy (though there are exceptions, see Loving Frank), but history told through the lives of minor or fictional characters I enjoy. When the detail is on accurate, it can help provide a contextual understanding for history.

This romance is set in France during the Revolution. The revolt has started but Louis the XVI is
~Leslie~
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-kindle
What to say about this book. Really meticulous historical detail. Plucky heroine who rises above seeing her mother raped, her brother killed and being raped herself. Then keeps her father safe by having sex with one of her guards. But she's such a happy girl and so resourceful. A family friend comes to rescue her and her father from France and they end up in Paris as the revolution is beginning. He is so much older and she is so young and brave, how can he have sex with her? But of course he doe ...more
Dar
Feb 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Life is too short for boring books!

After reading both leads back story and current situation, realized I really didn't care enough about them to find out their story
Deborah Bowman
Not bad.
A little too predictable
D.S. Williams
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, I didn't find this book particularly exciting. Whilst it was an okay story, I felt the author had stretched it out... and out... and out... until I was skimming pages to get to the end. The author has a great talent, but I didn't find the pace was enough to get me really engrossed in the story. The main characters were good, but unfortunately I didn't feel the romantic tension in them other than in the first couple of chapters.
Betsy
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic, romance, europe
I learned more about the French Revolution and the aftermath in Paris than in all my history classes combined. Is it possible to make Roberta Gellis romances required reading in school? Way more information than Les Miserables! This is a fascinating tale. My biggest issue was that the PDF version I was reading only allowed my Nook to read at a font size of approximately 6. It was very difficult to lose yourself with that level of eyestrain.
JoAnne
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a historical set in England and France. It was an interesting read and kept my attention. I liked both Roger and Leonie and their chemistry as well as Roger's family and Pierre. Many of the Frenchman I could have done without but that's where the majority of the story took place.
I have not read books by this author before but look forward to reading others especially in this series since it's book one.
Gail
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I first read this book years ago, and absolutely loved it. It may have been one of the first Gellis books I read. Anyway, it's wonderful--the one where the hero rescues the heroine in France and they hide in Paris during the worst of the Terror, while he works as a gunsmith. I still love it.
Liza
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tediously long (in regards to the historical detail, which was actually quite interest; it made the book worth reading), but I can honestly say I enjoyed it. I've bookmarked her other books, but unfortunately none are available at the library or as free downloads.
Kimmie
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Set in the late 1700's in France during the French Revolution. The characters were captivating and the story moved right along. Thank goodness for the dictionary setting in my Kindle b/c the language depicted the times.
April
Jan 05, 2012 marked it as didnotfinish
Shelves: romance
DNF

Usually enjoy this author's works but the characters just didn't interest me enough to continue.
Seema
Well written in terms of historical details..good characterisation but didn't quite like the relationship between the hero and heroine.
Cindy
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Epic
Lynne Harrison
It has been many years since I read Roberta Gellis. I think my problem with this one was that Ms. Gellis did not write the plot I wanted; she wrote her own, and I kept trying to make it change.
Marj
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm rereading after many years. Love Gellis!!
Shannon Donnelly
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the history in this story -- that's what made the story come alive. Great details on life in Revolutionary France.
Magdalena Theodore
May 17, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Lucien's Fall
  • The Bride Price (Civil War Brides, #1)
  • Heaven's Fire (Fairfax Family, #2; Lords of Conquest, #6)
  • Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1)
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • In the Garden of Temptation (Garden, #1)
  • A Knight to Remember (Blood Sword Legacy, #3.5)
  • The Bride Wore Spurs (Inconvenient Brides, #1)
  • Shattered Dreams
  • Song of Seduction (Seduction, #1)
  • Druid's Daughter (Garland of Druids, #1)
  • To Seduce an Earl (Seduction, #1)
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • Tides Of Love
  • Conor's Way
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
Roberta Gellis has been one of the most successful writers of historical fiction of the last few decades, having published about 25 meticulously researched historical novels since 1964. She was married to her husband Charles for over 50 years and they lived together in Lafayette, Indiana with a lively Lakeland terrier called Taffy. She has one child called Mark.

Her page at the Internet Speculative
More about Roberta Gellis...

Heiress (5 books)