Start by marking “It's a Wild Life: How My Life Became a Zoo” as Want to Read:
It's a Wild Life: How My Life Became a Zoo

It's a Wild Life: How My Life Became a Zoo

Pursuing your passion includes a whole lot of crap. For Bud DeYoung, that’s about two hundred pounds a day!

Since childhood, Bud had a passion for animals. As an adult, that passion led to the rescue of a bear who lived in his family’s house, then more animals crowding for space, until Bud eventually built an entire private zoo around his home in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
Published June 10th 2014 by Medallion Press (first published May 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about It's a Wild Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's a Wild Life

Miranda Reads
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've had the honor and the pleasure to meet speak with Bud DeYoung - what he does is nothing short of amazing.

Review to come!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Cathy Elliott
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bud DeYoung’s love of animals started early. As a child, his collection grew from a flock of ducklings in the back yard to chickens, pigeons and all sorts of critters in trouble. Instead of delving into sports, Bud chose to give guided tours through his backyard menagerie @ two bits a trip. Eventually, his passion grew into a full-fledged animal rescue operation. A zoo.

We come to know the personalities of various animals, presented like well-loved members of the family. Wallace, the hippo that r
Aryana Knudson
This is an amazing book. I loved it.
jimtown
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating look into what it takes to make a zoo. It comes across loud and clear that Bud DeYoung and Carrie respect and love all creatures. In It's a Wild Life, we see the hardship, the non-stop work and the dedication Buddy DeYoung put into building his zoo.

In stories both heartwarming and heartbreaking, we get to know some of the zoo and rescue animals. Especially nice to read was about Teddy Bear's last, best year. Surprisingly, Buddy doesn't have a favorite animal. He likes the
Marcus
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this to be an honest and moving account of one man's passion for animals - for over 40 years, Bud DeYoung has been looking after animals. The book charts the animals Bud has owned over the years; the joy he has found in taking care of them and sharing them with others and; some of the injuries he's sustained looking after them!

Bud is clearly a very hard worker and has been for most of his life - he's also had lots of help over the years and there was a clear desire to thank some of those
Nancy Root
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book!! My family and I are acquainted with Bud and have visited his zoo many times. It is an amazing personal, hands-on zoo!! To read his personal input on all the struggles and the joys of his zoo just adds to the beauty and interest of this very fun and awesome place!! It is enlightening to know how it all began for Bud and to see the love and respect he has for each of his animals. The book is filled with so many personal and interesting and heart-warming stories. If you hadn't ...more
Lori Krzywicki
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting story, jumped around a lot, but the story overcame that.
Connie Bennett
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
great book- Stacy, you should read it since you enjoy zoo's
OpenBookSociety.com
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kayt

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Kayt

Review:

Bud DeYoung always wanted a life with animals. Starting from a young age he brought home critters and cared for them. Even though he was sidetracked by circumstances into working the family store, he still kept up with his critters. Starting with poultry, fowl and small animals. His mother encouraged him to follow his dreams. And he has been doing so ever since he was young. Through a failed marriage, financial iss
Donna
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's a Wild Life - How My Life Became a Zoo
Bud DeYoung with Cindy Martinusen Coloma
June, 2014/ Medallion Press

I first "met" Bud and Carrie thru Nat Geo's "Wild" last year and loved every minute. When I picked up "It's a Wild Life" to read and review, I knew it would be fantastic - and I wasn't disappointed!!!

Well written, and told from Bud's perspective, "It's a Wild Life" is a great read, funny in places, sad in others and a fantastic learning experience all on its own!

Bud DeYoung's love of a
Apr 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Katie
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
1.) I'm a Yooper 2.) I've been to this zoo many times. Reading this book gave me a better and more appreciative understanding of the zoo and the people that make it what it is today. Although it may have been a bit repetitive at times and as another reviewer put "disjointed" I found it truly fascinating which made it a quick and interesting read. Our family has been personally touched by the kindness of Bud and Carrie and infant Louie so I can say first hand that these people are truly amazing : ...more
Cabracrazy18
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
Won through LibraryThing's early reviewers. This is a great book that tells the story of two people who have dedicated their lives to animals. It tells the reality of the ups and downs of the lifestyle they have chosen and why they have decided to take on this immense task. Truly heartwarming and inspiring, this is an excellent book.
Bibash Sapkota
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Its a beautiful book, as beautiful as its cover. Gives a lot of information about animals. Some of the incidents are heart-touching. Any animal lover will like this book. However, i found first half of book little weakes as compared with second half.
Bud and Carrie, you are doing great job, keep it up. :-)

*i received this book from librarything early reviewer program.
Sylvia Walker
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A quick read about a truly amazing and giving couple, who are in love with animals, and have their own zoo and rescue ranch. They have devoted themselves to sharing their love of animals with their visitors, and sound extraordinarily kind and giving to their guests, especially children, and the ill and the elderly. I would love to visit their zoo, and meet them.
Nicole
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've been to this zoo many times, and had the pleasure of interviewing Bud and Carrie while working on features for a local paper, so I was familiar with them, the zoo and their passion for seeing it succeed and grow, and their love of animals...but it was great to read about the zoo's origins, and some stories about their experiences over the years...
Barb
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the LibraryThing early reviewer program in exchange for an unbiased review. It is one man's life story of his love for animals, how he always wanted his own zoo, and how he made that dream a reality in his life. I enjoyed the story overall. It was a bit disjointed in places, but interesting nonetheless.
Natasha
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is not a well-written masterpiece - but it is an easy, enjoyable read. It was nice to get the background story and some insight on the people that run the amazing zoo that is so close to where I'm from. Definitely a book for people that have visited the DeYoung Family Zoo or for people that just love animals of all kinds.
Gabor Hernadi
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
What happens when an ordinary man doesn't give up his childhood dreams and builds his own zoo not far from Green Bay? A story about men and animals, sometimes funny sometimes sad but always deeply human. Maybe not the best edited, randomly jumping in time.
Read for your future!
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Melissa
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

An interesting read about how one man has dedicated his life to rescuing animals and rung a zoo in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Sue Mathews
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
picked up this book after visiting zoo in Wallace, Michigan. Light and educational reading. Anxious to visit zoo again soon.
Hannah