Start by marking “Unstoppable: The Emerging Left-Right Alliance to Dismantle the Corporate State” as Want to Read:
Unstoppable: The Emerging Left-Right Alliance to Dismantle the Corporate State

Unstoppable: The Emerging Left-Right Alliance to Dismantle the Corporate State

Ralph Nader, one of the most influential Americans of the 20th century, has fought for justice in America for over half a century. He strongly believes that—contrary to conventional political wisdom regarding extreme partisanship—significant change can be accomplished by focusing on issues that most Americans, regardless of political labels, agree are important and need to ...more
Published April 29th 2014 by Bold Type Books (first published April 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Unstoppable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unstoppable

Kim Olson
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ralph Nader has probably pushed through more pieces of important federal legislation than most members of Congress (a low bar these days, I know). He's fiercely passionate about the issues he works on, but that only gets you so far. Nader is also a savvy strategist who knows how to start building consensus, something that's become increasingly difficult to do in the current my-way-or-the-highway political climate.

But a modern left-right alliance is perfectly possible, he argues, and it's the onl
J.M.
Sep 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: politics
"Wonky" is the word. Fact-based, optimism-tainted. It's hard to disagree with Ol Ralph but very easy to differ. He rails against the corporate state we find ourselves in, points to feasible ways out and areas of what should be easy accord among liberals and con-- libs and cons-- LC's. He smashes the terms together to suggest there will be plenty of people in the middle, in a political union. I'm just much more pessimistic. Ralph HAS to be optimistic to do what he does. Especially when he rails a ...more
Stephen
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
George Carlin groused that when he heard the word bipartisanship, he knew a larger than usual deception was in the works. Ralph Nader's Unstoppable offers a different kind of bipartisanship -- cooperation, not conspiracy. Written primarily to a progressive audience, Nader draws on his reading of Russell Kirk and F.A. Hayek to share the good news: there are people who share the similar values in both political wings, and plenty of room to work together against a common enemy. What common enemy? T ...more
Chris Chester
May 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm too young to have been a Nader voter back in 2000, but having read this short political screed by the former Green Party nom, I might have been.

Respected as he is by those on both the Left and the Right, Ralph Nader attempts to make the case that most politically-active Americans have strong areas of convergence when it comes to restraining and dismantling the corporate state. Instead of focusing on the social issues that are used to divide and incite the population every election cycle, he
Fiddlinmike
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I was attracted to the idea of finding common ground between right and left as the basis for political change, and I'll give credit to Nader for the attempt.

On occasion Nader notes an equal share of blame for "corporatism" between right and left, but he just can't resist placing most of the blame for every ill in the world on conservatives. He cherry picks his historical "facts" and quotes from noted conservative thinkers, showing them as "reasonable" but only so he can attack the unreasonablene
Kyle
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought it was extremely thought provoking. Political convergence is exactly what this country needs at the moment. There's something for everyone in this book no matter what your political orientation is. Nader blends grounded reality, philosophy, and history to try and show that our two party duopoly is drifting towards an abstract, polarized, and detached form of politics, functioning to mystify the monopolistic violence of the corporate state. I especially think the last 3-4 chapters are t ...more
Derek Postlewaite
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
Philosophically, this is one of the deepest books by Nader that I have read. The overall argument or thesis of the book is convincing: the Left & Right would be more effective if they were to converge and join forces, and despite what most would call obvious conflicts of interest, there are plenty of areas where both sides share common ground.

Nader presents convergence as the most plausible and effective way forward. After reading this book, I'd have to agree.
Jennifer Chin
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book describing how in many ways we all want some of the same things, no matter the label we attach to ourselves. No one would say clean water to drink isn't important, nor public safety from goods known by the maker to be defective. I think all elected officials should read this book... our infrastructure needs agreement and action from our leaders, not more red herring arguments about social issues and personal pride.
Michele
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! Nader understands our government and knows many of the movers and shakers in both parties. The point of this book is to move beyond party politics, especially given the inability of our two party system to perform their duties, efficiently and effectively. Ralph encourages citizens to look beyond all of the media hype and to think about issues as they stand, independent of party politics.
Beverly
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for any who have felt that there was no hope for future changes to the good for our country. Nader points out the convergence over certain issues that are shared across ideological boundaries. There is a path that he describe that holds hope for a change from the stasis of our current government to proceed cooperatively. Read and be recharged in new but old ways to work in the political climate that now exists.
Jill
Jul 17, 2014 rated it liked it
God bless Ralph Nader. This was really a little wonky for me, but Nader's ideas of convergence between the left and the right on issues they can agree upon (and yes, there are such issues despite what the media tries to tell us) are an ideal to aspire to.
Trey Mustian
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it
An interesting book especially given the recent political developments in this country. Nader argues that liberals and conservatives actually have many ideals and goals in common and that they should " converge" to effect change. He describes how he believes this can happen. I hope he is right.
Erich Wendt
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: politics
As a reviewer noted, very wonky. Interesting ideas.
Maureen O'Brien O'Reilly
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
though it sure looks today like the right an left are far away and apart.... the needs and dreams of people are the same, as is our foe, the corporate state. encouraging.
John
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great work, Ralph delivers plain English facts, stories and anecdotes to engage the reader. The Thomas Paine of our time. Must read
Ryan Coons
Jan 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Just a list of nice ideas, and Nader explaining them instead of how to bring them to be.
Todd Thompson
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading this book felt a little like taking a peek into the past rather than the future. Nader, whose unique brand of intelligent activism has inspired legislation and given rise to consumer awareness like few others have, is an unquestionable leader among those citizens who believe optimistically that the best days are still ahead of us.

The premise of his book is that even through people on the extreme ends of the ideological and political spectrum positive change is possible through a converge
Paula
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
In his latest book, Nader points out how powerful coalitions between Democrats and Republicans have been in the past, and could be in the future. They could accomplish important goals today that may be impossible without such a coalition. These are not divisive issues, but ideas that most all citizens desire: Eliminate most corporate welfare and bailouts, break up "too big to fail" banks, protect children from commercialism, end corporate personhood, oppose patenting of lifeforms, get tough on c ...more
David Quattrocchi
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
UNSTOPPABLE might catch readers off guard with how much it feels like an activist's handbook, but Nader's m.o. is to galvanize disgruntled citizens to action, not philosophy. It's all pragmatic and motivating, with healthy doses of historical examples of when left-right convergence was necessary and successful. If you're halfway out the door to organizing like-minded people for positive change in the world, or even your local community, UNSTOPPABLE will light a fire under you.
John Macgregor
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nader's idea is so compelling that one can overlook the slightly clunky style:

Corporations are neither conservative nor liberal, but work to undermine both sets of values. And that left and right (not so far apart as they might have thought) can and have combined to put an end to unconstitutional corporate rule.
Mlg
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Nader's newest book is intriguing. It seeks to find topics on which the left and right can agree and make progress. Some of them like climate change, seem to be beyond Americans limited capabilities to understand. Others like prison reform, might have a chance.
Lawrence
May 13, 2014
Renee
Nov 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Cracking the Code: How to Win Hearts, Change Minds, and Restore America's Original Vision
  • The End of Greatness: Why America Can't Have (and Doesn't Want) Another Great President
  • Freedom from Speech
  • The CEO Pay Machine: How It Trashes America and How to Stop It
  • #republic: Divided Democracy in the Age of Social Media
  • The Origins of American Politics
  • Ayn Rand Nation: The Hidden Struggle for America's Soul
  • The Shadow Elite: The New Agents of Power and Influence Who Are Undermining Government, Free Enterprise, and Democracy
  • The Fight for the Four Freedoms: What Made FDR and the Greatest Generation Truly Great
  • Agatha: The Real Life of Agatha Christie
  • Political Ideologies: Their Origins and Impact
  • Invisible Hands: The Making of the Conservative Movement from the New Deal to Reagan
  • While America Sleeps: A Wake-up Call for the Post-9/11 Era
American attorney, author, lecturer, political activist, and candidate for President of the United States in five elections, including the last election 0f 2008, with his role in the 2000 election in particular being subject to much debate.

Areas of particular concern to Nader include consumer rights, humanitarianism, environmentalism, and democratic government. Nader is the first Arab American pr