Start by marking “Ghost of a Gamble (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Ghost of a Gamble (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #4)

Ghost of a Gamble

(A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery #4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  537 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Spiritual medium Emma Whitecastle knows a good ghost when she feels one—like her own sweet Granny Apples, long gone but still as famous for her apple pies as she is for helping her great-great-great-granddaughter get to the core of the most baffling mysteries...

When Emma gets word of a sticky spirit problem in Las Vegas, she and the ghost of Granny Apples hit the road for
Published April 1st 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Ghost of a Gamble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost of a Gamble

really liked it 4.00  ·

❂ Jennifer
3.5 stars. A good, entertaining, well-written read, but not my favourite of the four so far; the premise was a bit 'out there' even for a ghost story. I still highly recommend it though, as Ms. Jaffarian writes an excellent story with characters that act their age, fantastic settings and better than average plots.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/109278...
Lesa
For some reason, I'm attracted to paranormal cozy mysteries. Maybe it's the link to the past, because I love cold cases. Maybe it's the acceptance of ghosts in our lives. Sue Ann Jaffarian's Ghost of Granny Apples mysteries are satisfying and enjoyable with a mature woman, a medium and TV host, as the amateur sleuth. Ghost of a Gamble takes Emma Whitecastle from her home in California to a setting that is always perfect for crime fiction, Las Vegas.

On a request from Milo Ravenscroft, her mentor,
Andrea
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how Sue Ann Jaffarian writes her books because there is mystery, suspense, ghosts, romance & humor. This is the fourth book in the Granny Apple's Series and each book is better than the last one. This has gangsters from the 60s and their children from Las Vegas and of course ghosts are involved. I always look forward to reading to the next of Sue Ann Jaffarian's books.
Fred
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ghost Of A Gamble is the fourth book in the A Ghost Of Granny Apples Mystery series and the first published by Berkley. There are two e-book novellas also available.

This is a really delightful series and this was a wonderful addition. I thought it was a little less light hearted than previous books.

Milo, Emma's mentor and fellow psychic, has asked her to visit his mother, Dolly, at her home in Las Vegas. Dolly is a retired dancer on the strip and now does fortunetelling. When Emma arrives she do
Melodie
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Sue Ann Jaffarian is a really good mystery writer! I've known that for awhile and with the Granny Apples series now getting published by a larger, more visible outfit hopefully others will find that out now, too. Maybe they'll go looking for the other Granny Apples books as well as the excellent Odelia Grey series she writes. This story has its roots in a cold case robbery from Vegas' mob heyday. Old spirits, new spirits, fortune tellers, mediums.......you get it all with this one! All the Grann ...more
Trish
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sue Ann Jaffarian always delivers a great book and this one is not an exception. Although Odelia Grey will always be my favorite, there's a certain something about Granny Apples that remains appealing. (Get it Apples - Peeling, *wink*).

Lots of fun, including the ending which this reader happened to love. Can't tell you because it would be a spoiler but it was just my speed!

Recommend.
Dawn Filler
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and couldn't stop reading it! There were many twists and turns I didn't see coming! Characters are interesting with familiar favorites showing depth and growth. Loved the surprise ending! I am glad I bought this book and will probably reread it again next year - love it!
An entertaining read, though much of the mystery is solved conveniently by ghosts. The writing is slightly sloppy - when she sees Nemo for the first time, she thinks he looks familiar, then realizes why. On the next page, she once again realizes why he looks familiar, as if the author forgot she already wrote that part. Also, I don’t think changing the fathers name on a birth certificate is that easy.

It was light, uncomplicated, with no particular suspense.
Angela
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute and fun mystery story. Quick read.
Terri
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really fun book to read. The mystery itself was nicely woven, great characters, funny moments.
Jan
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Almost 4 starts. Very enjoyable series.
Kay
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Granny Apple and her escapades and this was no exception! On to the next!
Jane
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished-myst
Riskier than the earlier books!
OpenBookSociety.com
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mary

Brought to You by OBS reviewer Mary

*Beware of Spoilers*
Milo Ravenscroft, a fellow medium and Emma Whitecastle’s mentor, asks her to come to Las Vegas and assist his mother Dolly with a ghostly problem. Accompanying her is the ghost of her great-great-great grandmother Ish Reynolds, also known as Granny Apples. Milo and his fiancée Tracy Bass, who is Emma’s best friend, are visiting his mother and Emma is curious why Milo can’t take care of the situation.

Th
Ione DeOllos
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
81A very good mystery with a cranky but loving older ghost helping with the investigation. Even though you learn early whodunit, you still want to finish the book to see how it ends.
Alison (Lady Coffin) S
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goal-spring
This is a fun series, with a bit of humor, especially from Granny Apple, she is a bit of a dry-witted, sarcastic ghost.
Debbie Lester
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sue Ann Jaffarian brings readers the fourth book in her Ghost of Granny Apples mystery series, Ghost of a Gamble. Emma and Granny are off on another road trip in this book, this time to Sin City, Vegas will never be the same. This humorous mystery series featuring paranormal elements will have readers sitting on the edge of their collective seats. Jaffarian has an over the top writing style that is appealing and full of surprises. Readers never know what is going to happen next in a Granny Apple ...more
Sharon
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Medium and ghost whisperer, Emma Whitecastle, is in Las Vegas but not for fun, entertainment, or gambling. Her friend and mentor, Milo Ravenscroft, is there to give a speech about being a medium. His mother, Dolly Meskiel who lives in Las Vegas and, in her youth, was a showgirl, tells Milo that she thinks one of her light bulbs is haunted by a spirit. She calls it Lenny the Light Bulb. Since Dolly makes Milo very nervous and doesn’t believe he can communicate with the dead she asks him to bring ...more
Vilia
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review from Backchatting Books

This latest Granny Apples novel is just plain fun as Emma deals with ghostly gangsters in Sin City. Emma’s friend Milo might be a well renowned medium, but his mother Dolly only trusts Emma to find out why a mobster named Lenny is haunting her lightbulb. Lenny’s happy to hang around the light rather than going into the light as he’s afraid the geriatric gangster Nemo has set his boys on them. When Nemo dies on the same night that Dolly goes missing, Emma starts to j
Ellen
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Emma is called out to Las Vegas by Milo's mother, Dolly. There seems to be a presence in her home or to be precise in her light fixture. Although Milo, well known for his séances and Dolly son, was not asked for this assignment. It appears his talents become void in his mother's presence. There is one among them who is well aware of this spirit inhabiting the light fixture in the kitchen and that one is none other than a 7 month old baby by the name of Nicholas.

To make this situation complete Tr
Beverly
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Just finished this last night. I thought this book started out a bit slower than others I have read, but the last half made up for it. I've been reading it while we were on vacation and I ended up suggesting to my dear hubby, that he go do something on his own and give me a day to myself. I gave him some cockamamie story about being used to being alone day after day while he went to work and now I was just overloaded with time with him and I needed to have some space to regroup and on and on. He ...more
Linda Rawlins
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ghost of a Gamble by Sue Ann Jaffarian is a paranormal mystery about a murder, missing casino robbery treasure and love. Emma Whitecastle and ghost Granny Apples visit Las Vegas to help friends Milo and Tracey solve a mystery. Milo, a renowned talent, cannot seem to pick up paranormal activity surrounding his mom, Dolly. They all realize a ghost by the name of Lenny has been visiting Dolly's house. Dolly goes to the local nursing home to speak to a mobster, Nemo, who dies after her visit. Dolly ...more
Linda
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the 4th book in the Granny Apples cozy mystery and paranormal series. The character of the ghost, Granny Apples, is evolving into quite a force to be reckoned with. It's a fun read of a "cold case" mystery solved by spiritual medium Emma Whitecastle, two jealous rival men, and Granny. Every amateur detective needs a ghost to help them spy on the bad guys and report back!

In this fast-paced story, Emma is called to Las Vegas to investigate a haunted light fixture in the home of her friend
Mark Baker
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, mystery
Emma and Granny have traveled to Las Vegas to investigate a ghost haunting a lightbulb. What they discover leads to a murder and a kidnapping. Can they stop this new chain of events?

As always, the plot is strong with some nice work from the characters and plenty of great twists before it is all over. The characters, new and old, living and dead, are strong, and I enjoyed spending time with them. All told, a great trip to Vegas that won't leave you broke from gambling.

Read my full review at Carst
Sue Ross
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Granny Apple Mysteries are great and this newest book in the series is just as great as all the rest. What could be better than meeting the ghosts of mobsters and actual mobsters? That’s what happens this time when Emma visits her friends Milo, who is also her mentor and Tracy, Emma’s closest friend. There is also a ghost named Lenny the Lightbulb who is trying to communicate with Emma. So what happens when these mobsters of ghosts past and the living meet? It’s a fun and exciting tale not t ...more
Noelle
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Given to me as a gift. It's a cute concept, and enjoyable except for the weirdly stilted language that seems to plague this kind of genre fiction--e.g., "that was my favorite book as a youth." Really? Not just "as a kid"? I thought that character was supposed to be a "youth" in the 1960s, not the 1860s. How does stuff like that get past the copyeditor?

Some of the reviews indicate that the series is funny, but I didn't find much to ha-ha about in this one. I'd like to go back and read the first
Debbie Heaton
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
In Jaffarian’s mystery novel, spiritual medium Emma Whitecastle is in Las Vegas, along with the ghost of Granny Apples, to help a former showgirl who has been frightened by an alleged ghost in her house. Emma is able to determine that Dolly, the former showgirl, is indeed being haunted by Lenny, a deceased Vegas hood who believes that she is in danger from aging mobster, Nemo. When Nemo is found dead, Dolly goes missing inspiring Emma and her friends to “spiritually” solve the case.

A fun suspens
Mary
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sue Ann Jaffarian’s Ghost of Granny Apples series is a favorite for me. It is a paranormal cozy series. Medium Emma Whitecastle and her great-great-great grandmother solve mysteries and in this latest book go to Las Vegas to help a former Vegas showgirl deal with an old casino heist that leads to modern murders and ghosts with agendas. Emma has great relationships with her boyfriend, her daughter, her mentor, and her very funny ghostly Granny. This book was so much fun to read that I went throug ...more
Renee
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

I enjoyed the story and following the characters from the beginning of the series. Interesting and fun, very highly recommended.
Linda Smatzny
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery series. This time Emma Whitecastle ,a medium, is in Las Vegas with her friends. While there she gets mixed up in a mystery from back in the 1960's involving the mother of her friend,Milo. It involves the robbery of a casino and the missing money. Lots of ghosts in this one especially one that is not friendly. The book was a quick easy read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• If Catfish Had Nine Lives (Gram's Country Cooking School Mystery, #4)
  • Murder Sends a Postcard (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #3)
  • A Killing Notion (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #5)
  • Ghost in the Wind (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #7)
  • Keeper of the Castle (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #5)
  • The Skeleton Haunts a House (Family Skeleton Mystery, #3)
  • Sketch a Falling Star  (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #3)
  • Ghost Ship (Port Chatham Mystery #2)
  • A Hard Day's Fright (Pepper Martin, #7)
  • Ghost Wanted (Bailey Ruth #5)
  • Deja Moo (Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum #3)
  • Marigolds for Malice (Enchanted Garden Mystery, #3)
  • Look Both Ways (Witch City Mystery, #3)
  • Pecan Pies and Homicides (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery, #3)
Sue Ann Jaffarian is the author of the popular Odelia Grey mystery series, the Ghost of Granny Apples mystery series and the Madison Rose vampire mysteries, as well as short stories.

Sue Ann also writes the Winnie Wilde romance novellas.

Like the character Odelia Grey, Sue Ann Jaffarian is a middle-aged, plus-sized paralegal. She lives in Los Angeles.

In addition to writing, Sue Ann is sought after a

A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery (6 books)
  • Ghost a la Mode (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #1)
  • Ghost in the Polka Dot Bikini (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #2)
  • Gem of a Ghost (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #3)
  • Ghost in the Guacamole (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #5)
  • The Ghosts of Misty Hollow