Start by marking “Climate Changed: A Personal Journey through the Science” as Want to Read:
Climate Changed: A Personal Journey through the Science

Climate Changed: A Personal Journey through the Science

What are the causes and consequences of climate change? When the scale is so big, can an individual make any difference? Documentary, diary, and masterwork graphic novel, this up-to-date look at our planet and how we live on it explains what global warming is all about. With the most complicated concepts made clear in a feat of investigative journalism by artist Philippe S ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams (first published February 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Climate Changed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Climate Changed

Start your review of Climate Changed: A Personal Journey through the Science
Crissa Cummings
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific graphic novel. It is also the first book on climate change I've been able to finish. And while it feels odd to say I found a subject so depressing exciting to read about- I did. Not only does this book explain the science in a way that I understand, but the author interjects his personal conflict with learning about climate change while continuing to use his car, fly, use electricity, etc. in a way that felt like it articulated a lot of my own thoughts and feelings. The art is ...more
Dov Zeller
This is one of those books in which the person writing the book is writing about writing the book. Squarzoni's process stands center-stage--his process of writing and also his orientation shift once he begins to really understand the mechanism of climate change. Once this happens he wants to put what he learns into action and tries lowering of his carbon footprint. So, for example, he chooses not to partake in airplane travel as it uses up a lot of fuel.

One might think, how is one person's deci
Kirsten
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't adequately sum up how much this book has effected me. It is such a thorough and eye-opening account of the complexity and magnitude of the climate change problem. It reads like a documentary film and it has terrified me into changing a lot of things about my life. I feel like everyone should have to read this book.
Claire
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I refuse to call the genre "graphic novel" because most of the graphic books I read are nonfiction.

It was the title, the past tense, of the book that drew my attention to it in the display. I checked it out, and only then saw that it was in graphic format. So I read it asking what the graphic structure provided that wouldn't have been there otherwise. Early on I noted a lot of talking-head frames. My first reaction was negative, but then I noticed that the faces were distinguishable. In fact the
Ilse
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is super educational and made me think of my current choices in life and how I want to change them. I think this might be a good book to make required reading in school, it might change people and in consequence how we treat the world/climate.

I so wanna change the way everyone lives after reading this book! It was super eye opening for me and I'd definitely recommend anyone to read it. It being a graphic novel only added to this book, as it didn't get boring when specialists had the "m
Kate
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book made me scared and apathetic pretty much all at once. Global warming is happening and we're pretty much screwed right now, unless we make very large and deep changes to the way we manufacture and consume, but there's no way that's going to happen with our current economic and political set-up so I guess all I can do is apologize to my children and grandchildren for the shitty world my generation is leaving them with.
Allison
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book- AMAZING. The graphic "novel" format for this nonfiction book (I read some reviews where people said there was no plot, where was the 'novel'- really? I can't even... DUH!) is incredibly effective for illustrating the dire situation our world is in. The memoir part interested me in terms of the author finding his place in all this and in showing how it is affecting everyone, but really, the book was effective for me in the rest of it. In some places it felt like watching a documentary ...more
Kelsey
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for a sustainability studio class, and I'm thankful my professor assigned it. It was definitely an eye-opener regarding the different aspects of climate change. The mix of data, interviews, personal thoughts, and compelling imagery makes this a well-rounded, informative, and often depressing account of the dire situation currently happening on our planet. I've come away with new thoughts and emotions about climate change, and am already thinking about how I can help make a chang ...more
Eleanor Ransom
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5, very informative, with a funny, relatable journey thread the interviews together. A very meta book with a great ending. Highly recommend to anyone, with any level of knowledge (or none at all) about climate change.
Aaron
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Per FTC rules, I received this book as a GoodReads First Reads giveaway.

Brilliant! This book could really use 6 stars. I had decided, somewhat prematurely I suppose, that graphic novels were not my bag. However, this one has changed my mind completely. Well researched, impeccably drawn, brilliantly written. M. Squarzoni has created a multi-layered tale of his conception of the book and a devastating look at the problems associated with climate change and how to deal with it. This book should be
Treesong
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. This non-fiction graphic novel explores the author's personal journey as he learns about the science behind global warming. Even if you don't find his personal story or artistic flourishes compelling, this book is worth a read for the remarkably informative and moving exploration of the basic science and its implications for our present and future. This is essential material presented in a textually engaging and visually stimulating format. Basically, if you live on Plan ...more
Gard
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great work on one of the most important topics of our time. It is dense but comprehensible, informative and fascinating.

Best and most important book (graphic novel) I've read this year. Highly recommend it to all.
Lisa
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a hard and satisfying read. It really looks at the problem from many angles. I learned a lot, and feel like it widened my world view.
Nicole
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book.
Max Urai
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Well presented, bit outdated, kind of pretentious here and there.
Anne
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well that was informative and depressing. A great break down of climate change issues, though not a lot of solutions offered. Eye opening.
Christina
When it comes to comics and graphic novels, I tend to be drawn to those on the nonfiction shelf. I find the format tends to make darker or complex topics more accessible and personalized than a long nonfiction tome. So I was intrigued by Squarzoni’s comic, which is subtitled “a personal journey through the science”, when I was browsing the library’s comics section.

This book grew out of Squarzoni’s efforts to present the French president’s political platform in a graphic format and the realizatio
Alex Telander
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Except for those who choose not to face reality (and perhaps are ignoring some other realisms staring them in the face), climate change is taking place right now, and as each season and year passes, more signs seem to be made of its build-up to the inevitable that is quickly approaching in our near future. In Climate Changed, French author and artist Philippe Squarzoni seeks to educate not just the reader on the happenings of climate change, but also himself.

Climate Changed is partly a graphic n
Dave Sippel
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a extremely thoroughly researched and carefully written book laying out the science of climate change. That is its strength and weakness at the same time. "Climate Changed" follows French author and graphic novelist Philippe Squarzoni as he researches the world's changing climate. He wants to know more about the subject but admits that he really doesn't know anything about it.

Squarzoni researches the actions of French politicians and found them lacking in regards to fighting climate cha
Pam
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this copy as a giveaway. I work in a high school library and am always looking for books for our students. I think the premise of this book is very interesting - a graphic novel following the author's personal investigation into climate change. I think it will grab the attention of young readers for a topic that they would otherwise consider to be dry and boring.
Things I liked: the art work - wonderful, includes an extensive index, the depiction of the author's personal reactions and
Stewart Tame
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fairly thorough examination of then-current (the book was originally published in France in 2012) state of knowledge regarding climate change, as well as a look at what our options might be as far as a response goes. Squarzoni is an impressive artist, creating a fascinating and even cinematic book out of material that would be deadly dull in lesser hands. There's an interesting bit of foreshadowing in the section of the book dealing with nuclear power. Squarzoni mentions Three Mile Island and ...more
Emily
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is so well done - it's a graphic memoir about the science behind climate change. It left me somewhat terrified about the future, and it's made me really think hard about what I can do. I really wish more people could wake up to the reality we're going to be facing in the all too near future. I'm going to start pushing this book on everyone - it's highly readable and easy to understand, and it paints a very clear picture about what is happening to the world.
h
I think it helps that I rea
Joel Bass
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some beautiful and creative art, but not quite enough for a 467-page book. So a lot of the rest of the book is filled with "talking heads," bits of interviews with Eurpoean climate scientists and journalists. making the book feel like a documentary at times.

That said, it was beautifully written, both from the author's point of view and as a synthesis of the up-to-date thinking on climate change and what we might be able to do to mitigate the situation. I've followed this topic since the 1980s, a
Cwiegard
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent addition to the climate change literature. French writer/artist Squarzoni shares his intimate effort to gain understanding of climate issues after he realizes that he is talking about something he does not understand. He masters the basics of the science, but it puts him into moral meditations and anguished thoughts. In the end, a haunting blend of science and humanity, tinged with a note of hopelessness, that touches the soul.
Ryan
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was dense but in the best way possible. It provided am indepth exploration of climate change and what is being done both globally and on a personal level. The book was well researched and consulted numerous experts in the field. Additionally the author took a personal look at how climate change affects his life. All in all great read.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This is an interesting graphic novel. It's part memoir, in that it follows the author's life and thought processes while learning about the reality of climate change. It's also part infographic.. sort of. This book is a mass of facts about climate change, and does a great job breaking down a lot of the science into easy to understand bits.

It's also hella long. And depressing as F.
M.H.
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Deeply thought provoking. It brings humanity's enormous conundrum to personal scale. I was left disturbed, but challenged to make changes. Will my efforts make a difference? Will yours? Will ours?
Emily
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5

This was a 470 page graphic novel that easily could have been a 250 page one.
Kelly
Back in 2006 (approximately) writer/journalist/artist Philippe Squarzoni embarked on an investigative dive into the facts and realities of climate change. The result was the 2012 graphic novel Climate Changed.

But it's not just facts and figures. Squarzoni also delves into the (usually) very valid reasons why it is/has been/will continue to be so hard to change our mindset ways. The way he portrayed his own struggle with this felt very familiar to my own thoughts and feelings.

It's a thick book -
Jessie
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: climate
There's a lot that I appreciated here. It has good discussions of current and future climate change and the implications of that for all life. It doesn't ignore social and economic aspects of climate change and addressing climate change; in fact, it dedicates a lot of time to those. I think that's really important in how we talk about addressing things. The book discusses potential individual responses -- in many ways, it's framed around Squarzoni thinking about his individual response -- but al ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Undocumented: A Worker's Fight
  • Alone
  • Becoming Unbecoming
  • Economix: How and Why Our Economy Works (and Doesn't Work), in Words and Pictures
  • La Recomposition des mondes
  • Geoffrey Strangeways
  • Ailefroide : Altitude 3954
  • Please Don't Tell
  • The Curious Naturalist: Nature's Everyday Mysteries
  • The Cartoon Introduction to Climate Change
  • The Water Will Come: Rising Seas, Sinking Cities, and the Remaking of the Civilized World
  • Last of the Sandwalkers
  • The Cartoon History of the Universe III: From the Rise of Arabia to the Renaissance
  • The Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code
  • Poetry 180: A Turning Back to Poetry
  • The Collapse of Western Civilization: A View from the Future
  • A Fire Story
  • Les ignorants. Récit d'une initiation croisée

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...