Start by marking “The Vibrant Table: Recipes from My Always Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, and Sometimes Raw Kitchen” as Want to Read:

The Vibrant Table is a feast for the senses. From small sides to savory meals and sweet indulgences, each nourishing recipe tells a story of a balanced and well-fed lifestyle, centered around the family table. Amaranth Pumpkin Porridge, Fingerling Potato Pizza, Squash Blossom Quiche, Roasted Plum Ice Cream, Swirled Acai Cheesecake—you will never run out of inspiration for ...more
Published June 10th 2014 by Roost Books

To ask other readers questions about The Vibrant Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vibrant Table

Rachel
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because it had a nice cover and it had been recommended to me by one of the food blogs I frequent. The author has a food blog of her own, but I found that I liked the recipes in the cookbook better. The pictures were gorgeous and featured vegan and vegetarian food that was relatively easy to make and looked ridiculously delicious. Things I wanted to try out of here were the Brazil Nut Oat Yogurt, Key Lime Pie Breakfast Parfait, Chestnut and Buckwheat Crepes with Leeks and M ...more
Astrid
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
It's beautiful to look at, gorgeous pictures, but, to me at least, not very useful. The recipes sound good, but I think they are too cumbersome and have way too many ingredients, I got discouraged just looking at them. Not a book I will add to my collection.
Magda
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
What I Loved:
-Absolutely stunning food photography (like, seriously, wow)
-Truly unique, one-of-a-kind recipes that are very nutritious
-Recipes are all vegetarian, and mostly vegan and gluten-free

What I Didn't Love:
-Recipes are often complicated and time-consuming, and may be intimidating for beginning cooks
-Firmly entrenched in “health food” territory, many recipes probably won’t please picky eaters or those new to eating a plant-based diet

I wrote a full review of this cookbook for my blog. You
Gayle
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book with so many terrific recipes, I bought my own copy: (yes, I borrowed a copy from the library to read first!)
Dree
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads' First Reads program.

The book is gorgeous, with beautiful pictures. It is also nearly gluten-free (is wheat-free), which is NOT advertised in the title. I have a kid who is allergic to rice (exact status unknown, as processed rice seems to be OK now, and he won't eat actual rice), so this is very frustrating for me.

I don't really understand why carob and chocolate are both used, but whatever, I am a chocolate girl.

On to some recipes!

Cauliflower Pie I am gl
Tina
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book, with wonderful photography and delicious recipes.
It has definitely inspired me and given me food for thought, however if I'm honest, I know that I would have difficulties getting to this level of amazing ness in my kitchen.
I am surely capable but feel I wouldn't have time for much else.
I know we all have busy lifestyles and as a casual teacher I may have more time on my hands than some.
Even so, I tend to seek out recipes that have easy to find, simple ingredients, th
Lara
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
This one really didn't work for me for several reasons. The first thing I noticed was that the print is tiny, and that there is a LOT of it. The author is extremely wordy in the way she describes everything, and I just felt like, "TOO MUCH EXPLANATION!!!" Plus a full third of the book is pretty much dedicated to desserts, which I do not care about one bit. But even in the other sections there wasn't really anything at all that actually made me want to attempt it. Everything just seems...too tofu ...more
Michelle
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: diet-health-food
Pros: Great photography and recipe directions are a little offbeat (still clear to understand, but conversational in a way many cookbooks aren't.)

Cons: These are good recipes, but the're really all over the place and not categorized by specific diet. If you were a vegan, or raw, for example, you wouldn't know if you could eat something unless you read the whole recipe.

Read-Alikes: I don't know how Ms Kassoff gets her child to eat fava-bean patties and some of the other things she claims her ki
Megan
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I got this cookbook through the First Reads program, and although I really enjoyed reading the author's stories she includes in both the introduction and with each recipe, I don't think I'll be making too many of the recipes myself. I'm on a pretty tight budget, and although I know many of the items called for would be good things to have on hand, I don't right now.

I will definitely pass this book along to someone who will be able to use it. I think if you have the time, money, and patience to s
Niya
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I rarely associate Russian/Easter European cuisine with vegan & raw cooking. Kassoff's text reminded me that it's a rather close minded stance to take. Her adaptations of traditional foods, including buckwheat, oats, beets and farmers cheese into novel and very fresh looking preparations are a useful cue that even the most ancient of foods can be adapted into new forms, textures and flavours. It's a fun way to explore traditions and modify them to suit your purpose.
Holly
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the best veg cookbook I have read because the author understands how important it is to explain to the cook why a certain ingredient is important to the whole of he recipe. The recipes are interesting and delicious and combine lots of terrific flavors that are not usually paired together. The photographs are spectacular and add much for the home cook who wants a beautiful As well as delicious dish.
Janet
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Some of these recipes were downright weird and unpalatable to me--like a Chocolate Loaf with 3 entire whole persimmons baked in the middle---or the Zucchini Spaghetti with Nectarines and Pumpkin Seed Pesto. But overall it's a beautiful book with a lot of healthy recipes, a handful of which I will try to recreate in my own kitchen.
Dana
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I totally love the beautiful photographs in this cookbook! I am going to try a few of the recipes, but for me, most of the recipes had too many exotic and difficult to find ingredients and/or were more labor intensive than I wish to be. I would totally eat all of it if someone would make it for me though! It looks fabulous!
Barbara
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Vegetarian, Vegan and some raw recipes. Beautiful photography with many very original recipes. I plan to try the Peach and Avocado Summer Rolls. For those looking to improve their health and way of life, this book is fantastic! I can see myself using this book for many years to come.
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
The recipes look feasible and that a larger audience may enjoy - though very healthy as well as primarily gluten and refined sugar free. Anya Kassoff's writing style is endearing and fully shares her love of cooking. Definitely a book to add to your shelf!
Hilary
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am glad I picked this up. There are definitely recipes I want to try, and reading about the author's journey was nice.
Denise
Feb 02, 2016
Sally
Jul 08, 2018 added it
Shelves: cookbooks
A somewhat eccentric collection but with several recipes that I want to try.
Kerri
Amy
Apr 12, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen: Celebrating the Art of Eating Well
  • The Blender Girl: Super-Easy, Super-Healthy Meals, Snacks, Desserts, and Drinks--100 Gluten-Free, Vegan Recipes!
  • The Green Kitchen: Delicious and Healthy Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day
  • Naturally Nourished
  • Brassicas: Cooking the World's Healthiest Vegetables: Kale, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and More
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • A Kitchen in France: A Year of Cooking in My Farmhouse
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Pure Simple Cooking: Effortless Meals Every Day
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas
  • Crossroads: Extraordinary Recipes from the Restaurant That Is Reinventing Vegan Cuisine
  • Power Plates: 100 Nutritionally Balanced, One-Dish Vegan Meals
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Flavor Flours: A New Way to Bake with Teff, Buckwheat, Sorghum, Other Whole & Ancient Grains, Nuts & Non-Wheat Flours
  • Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure