Start by marking “Asian Pickles: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Cured, and Fermented Preserves from Korea, Japan, China, India, and Beyond” as Want to Read:

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  201 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
From authentic Korean kimchi, Indian chutney, and Japanese tsukemono to innovative combinations ranging from mild to delightfully spicy, the time-honored traditions of Asian pickling are made simple and accessible in this DIY guide.

Asian Pickles introduces the unique ingredients and techniques used in Asian pickle-making, including a vast array of quick pickles for the nov
Published June 10th 2014 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Asian Pickles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asian Pickles

Yodamom
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I love asian pickled treats. I travel a lot and I search out restaurants and shops with pickled goodies, and books to delight in. Here is a book that focuses on all these delicious asian wonders. The book covers Japan, Korea, China, India and Southeast Asia. I have not found a book so diverse before, it has everything. The recipes seem easy to follow, the ingredients found in most stores.
I started out with the first recipe from Japan the miso pickle. Simple easy to follow direction that turned o
Jolene
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
**Thank you Ten Speed Press and Netgalley for providing this in exchange for an honest review**

This is an excellent book for a pickling novice. I had never pickled anything in my life, and I'm happy to say, the two recipes I've made so far have turned out great. I chose to try the Cucumber Arame Pickles and "Wasabi" Pickled Carrots. Both have very few ingredients and very short sit times. I planned on my first few attempts at pickling to be fails. I wanted to use recipes that would be easy to ma
Teawench
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, done, wishlist
My first run through of this I was kind of unimpressed. My second time through I marked the recipes I wanted to try & was surprised that there were so many. it's not a book I'll buy new but I might pick up a used copy. I'll definitely keep it checked out as long as I can or until I try all the recipes.
Aleksandra
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very useful book for a person interested in home cooking and fond of Asian tastes!
Jannelle
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
So, I received this advanced copy on net galley in exchange for an honest review. (disclaimer and all that)

This isn't going to be a typical review as seen in previous posts. Mostly, I just wanted to let you know that I genuinely liked it. Had I seen it at Barnes & Noble or online at Amazon or BN.com, I would still have purchased it. I think it is a great book for beginners as it does a great job at giving little tips and tricks, along with simple-to-follow recipes. I also like that it covers
Daisy
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: J.
As an experiment, I'd like to try all the versions of pickled garlic. This book is well-organized into chapters by parts of the world (Japan, Korea, China, India, Southeast Asia), and it's got exciting tips I never knew. (Or at least some I'd forgotten--the tip about how to peel many cloves of garlic easily...)
I'm eager to try many of these recipes and I'll update this review after I've attempted some.
Aja Marsh
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book! It was great to see so many different kinds of unique pickles and chutneys and condiments represented. Will definitely make some of these!
Kate
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery, non-ficton
Really authentic, some of the ingredients are slightly hard but not impossible to source. Excellent for those who want to make authentic Asian pickles from scratch, especially without the MSG and other toxic stuff which is usually in the off the shelf versions available in the USA. Not all recipes are vegan - but using these as a base it is reasonably easy to adapt to a vegan friendly version.
Juli Anna
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Interesting recipes and techniques, but this is definitely a niche cookbook for someone with access to more obscure ingredients.
Linda
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
ASIAN PICKLES: SWEET, SOUR, SALTY, CURED, AND FERMENTED PRESERVES FROM KOREA, JAPAN, CHINA, INDIA, AND BEYOND by Karen Solomon is much more than a cookbook as there's much trivia included and humor too! It's a very enjoyable read!

A few months ago, my boss shared some yellow squash and zucchini from his garden that he had pickled. They were too delicious for words! I resolved right there and then to delve into pickling myself and was thrilled to find this book offered for review at Net Galley. I'
Heather
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Japan: This chapter includes miso pickles (Misozuke), rice bran pickles (Nukazuke), pickled plums and pickled plum ‘vinegar’ (Umeboshi and Umezu), pickled ginger (Gari), Red pickled ginger (Beni Shoga), and more. The traditional section also includes recipes for pickling mustard greens, turnips, and seaweed. Then there’s a section of ‘inspired pickles’ courtesy of the author, such as a mixed ginger and shiso pickle, pickled Asian pear with lemon, and more. I haven’t yet tried any from this chapt ...more
Pam
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Asian Pickles: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Cured, and Fermented Preserves from Korea, Japan, China, India, and Beyondby Karen Solomon begins with an introduction about pickles and pickling.  For those of you that do not like to can, this book is for you!  As she explains, most of these recipes are not for long term storage.  These pickles age and ferment either on your counter or in your fridge.  But they look so good, I don't think trying to keep them for a long time is going to be an issue.

The recipe
eyes.2c
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery, netgalley
...pickle lovers rejoice!

I have collected several books that give recipes for Asian pickles.
Apart from the varieties of kim chi that I adore, one of my favourite pickles has always been Chinese lemon and lime pickles. I use the lemon pickle with a very tasty Charmaine Solomon (who is my major go to resource and is listed in the bibliography) Sri Lankan Beef Smoore recipe. I have made those pickles and given them away as presents to people who appreciate such things, including my butcher who is c
Rafal
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Asian Pickles is a great introduction to Asian style pickling that should be more than adequate for the beginner - intermediate pickler, but slightly lacking for those advanced or looked for a more in depth book on asian pickling.

One of the notable differences between Asian pickling and Western pickling is that asian pickling, as a whole, is relatively easier than Western pickling. Asian pickling is generally less sour and uses softer vinegars than the west, but also includes an entire family of
DelAnne Frazee
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Title: Asian Pickles Sweet, Sour, Salty, Cured, and Fermented Preserves from Korea, Japan, China, India, and Beyond
Author: Karen Solomon
Tags: Cooking, Cookbooks, Pickling
Overall Rating: Great
Reviewed For: NetGalley
Reviewer: DelAnne

Most hear pickle and think kosher dill or sweet gherkin, but the truth is almost anything can be pickled. Do not limit yourself to just cucum
Pamela
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How lovely to find an author celebrating something I absolutely love, Asian pickles. I frequently cook East Asian and Indian dishes and now, after reading Asian Pickles, I will be making the pickles to accompany those dishes.

Asian Pickles is a well written and well edited cookbook. It is written in a lively way that encouraged me to read it from beginning to end. The recipes are clearly written and use fairly easy to obtain ingredients. If you don't have an Asian market nearby the author provide
Ron
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Asian Pickles provides pickle recipes inspired by the cuisine of Japan, China, India, etc., but not recipes of the particular country. Karen Solomon deliberately choose ingredients that are likely to be available in the United States. The recipes are examples of the styles of the countries that the author enjoyed with most being quick pickles. My wife looked over the book and recognized some from her childhood that we are likely to try, so in this fashion, the book is a success. The processes ar ...more
Autumn
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loving this paen to pickles from a writer who freely admits that she is a fermentation-crazy white lady who would be happy to eat banchan and rice every day for the rest of her life. ME TOO.

Recipes are very accessible, covering Japanese, Korean, Southeast Asian and Indian refrigerator pickles of various stripes, as well as some very exciting sauces. There is a homemade Siracha recipe in here, folks. Everything seems very achievable and you can get as deeply into it as you like.

Breaking News: I
Nancy
Oct 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is a feast for the eyes as well as the mouth. The photography really invites you to jump in and try the terrific recipes. Organized by region, I was easily able to find the Japanese pickles we fell in love with while traveling there. Each country has its own basic techniques described to help those who like to experiment on their own. The glossary, resources and index make it easy to access the information and to expand on what is offered. I think Karen Solomon has hit a home run with ...more
Anita Gomgal
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this graphic novel from NetGalley for review.

When I saw it, I though “I want it!” I love Asian Culture so I was wondering how the made some of their Pickles.
I liked the book, it’s quite interesting, the recipes are well-described but I missed more photos of the final results!!! I love to see photos of the dishes.
I would like to try some of the pickles but it will be difficult for me to find some of the ingredients…
I have a lot of friends that love to cook and trying new reci
kimberly
Sep 15, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: could-not-finish
first impression: book is split up into countries, with a listing of recipes at the start of each section. IS IT THAT HARD TO MAKE A FULL LISTING OF RECIPES AT THE BEGINNING?!

****

i only made 1 thing from this blasted book, WTF. as a self-proclaimed pickle lover, i have let myself down. i'll def have to give this a go. plus, i have garlic pickles that will be waiting for me in 6 months.
Joey P
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
It's more than just cabbage kimchi or the ginger on the side of the sushi plate.
Can't wait to try the Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi!!

Click for My Full Review

received a free copy through Blogging for Book for an honest review
Kristofer
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: korea
Absolutely enamored with Asian Pickles. Written with reverence, culinary mastery and wit, Solomon focuses on classic recipes from Japan, Korea, China and India with a small collection of recipes from other Asian cuisines. This somewhat small volume of recipes and commentary trumps other books twice its size. A must-have in your cookbook library.
Lynne
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
More for H than for me, I'm not a big pickle fan, but it was neat to read about pickling traditions and typical ingredients across multiple Asian cultures. Good reminder that pickle culture doesn't begin and end with the dill.
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading Thursday and bought mine Friday-- I couldn't imagine having to wait for the library copy every time I wanted a recipe. Though I haven't yet made anything, nearly half the pages are marked to-make, and the ones that aren't? -- purely a question of ingredient availability. Awesome!
Tisha
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I didn't find anything that I had to make right away, but I did like the discussion of fermentation.
Bram Riddlebarger
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2018
Nicely done. Usable and entertaining.
Mills College Library
641.46209 S6894 2014
Lynda M. Breeze
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am starting immediately!

Excellent, easy & great sounding recipes! I am making everything! I highly recommend this book.it is a big part of my journey back to health!
Drmarion
Dec 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Asian Tofu: Discover the Best, Make Your Own, and Cook It at Home
  • Japanese Soul Cooking: Ramen, Tonkatsu, Tempura, and More from the Streets and Kitchens of Tokyo and Beyond
  • Japanese Farm Food
  • Ivan Ramen: Love, Obsession, and Recipes from Tokyo's Most Unlikely Noodle Joint
  • Ferment Your Vegetables: A Fun and Flavorful Guide to Making Your Own Pickles, Kimchi, Kraut, and More
  • The Kimchi Cookbook: 60 Traditional and Modern Ways to Make and Eat Kimchi
  • Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
  • Olives, Lemons & Za'atar: The Best Middle Eastern Home Cooking
  • One Good Dish
  • Thai Street Food
  • Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand
  • Kansha: Celebrating Japan's Vegan and Vegetarian Traditions