Start by marking “Earth Awakens (The First Formic War, #3)” as Want to Read:
Earth Awakens (The First Formic War, #3)

Earth Awakens (The First Formic War #3)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  7,740 Ratings  ·  577 Reviews
The story of The First Formic War continues in Earth Awakens.

Nearly 100 years before the events of Orson Scott Card's bestselling novel Ender's Game, humans were just beginning to step off Earth and out into the Solar System. A thin web of ships in both asteroid belts; a few stations; a corporate settlement on Luna. No one had seen any sign of other space-faring races; eve
Published June 10th 2014 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Earth Awakens, please sign up.

Nikko Bautista
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Deb Carroll They don't go into a lot of detail about Earth society other than the Chinese, who if you recall from Ender's backstory were the primary victims of…moreThey don't go into a lot of detail about Earth society other than the Chinese, who if you recall from Ender's backstory were the primary victims of the Formic efforts at terraforming the planet. This is not to say they don't talk about Earth - the story of the events in China and the reactions of the various governments and citizens and military is very intense and detailed.

The moon is more of a colony of Earth - but you can only migrate if you have a job there, and if you lose that job you can be kicked off back to Earth. The primary industry there appears to be R&D and processing the ore sent back to Luna from the mining vessels in the asteroid belts. Luna is still dependent on Earth for food and many other supplies, which it in turn supplies to the stations farther out who supply the mining vessels. Opportunities on Luna are highly sought after by many people on Earth.

I was pleasantly surprised at how the story drew me in and kept me involved. I was sorry to reach the end of the 3rd book, but - and maybe it's just wishful thinking - it seemed like there might be the seeds of a series between the Formic Wars trilogy and Ender's Game. (Hint, hint, Orson and Aaron!) Although they resolved the immediate storyline, I'd like to know more about what happened to the main characters who survived.

I don't think there are any spoilers here, considering Ender's Game is the ultimate spoiler.(less)

Thomas Edmund
Jun 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Many have criticized the First Formic war for crummy physics, shallow political/cultural analysis, and prose that feels like the novelization of a comic book. Those criticisms will not be deferred by the arrival of this book. Even if, like me, you enjoyed the first installments of this trilogy, I suspect you'll find Awakens to be somewhat of a disappointment.

My first criticism is that it appears that rather than put together an original, or create A unique spin on well-trodden sci-fi tropes, Ors
Jack Bradbury
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was going to write this long review addressing some of the criticism, but the simple truth is that a) I'm way too lazy for that, and b) I am just in too much awe over this book to do anything but gush about it. Each of the characters really popped off the page. The pacing was quick.

I am just amazed at what Card and Johnston were able to do with this trilogy. They take a pre-established universe and works within it to create a world that doesn't contradict what was previously laid out. Ender's
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: laura
MORE MAZER RACKHAM! MORE MAZER RACKHAM!

I would like more of a focus on Mazer Rackham ;)
Jim Kahn
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
The third book in the prequel series to the original "Enders Game" series, the book is worth the read to fans of the Ender universe but once again it falls far short of the quality of the originals. Card seems to have given up any pretense at writing compelling and realistic dialog: each character has the identical sarcastic / juvenile sense of humor and manners of speaking which makes it impossible to develop any sort of attachment. Card also has given up on any pretense of 'hard' science ficti ...more
Mandy Bellm
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Fantastic conclusion to a fantastic series. So excited to hear there is a trilogy in the works for the Second Formic War. Not going to be able to wait for the year(s) in between each one though!
Mike
May 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, library
Couldn't wait until this one came out and sped right through it. Just ok and not up to the standards set by the first two books in the series. 2 Stars. It felt mechanical, not original and fresh. The story lines were not as tension packed and interesting as the leading books. Enjoyed it but not near as much as I hoped.
Chris Chiarino
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I rarely review the books I read but this one was worth the time. Card does a great job giving the reader what they want. It described everything that happen in great detail. I really enjoyed Mazer and Bing it reminded me of Ender's experience with Mazer. Also there was a great plug for the second Formic War. I bet Bing's school will become Battle School!!
John Sorensen
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I like Card and his books. This book focuses on closing out the story lines and ending the trilogy. This is accomplished with efficiency and is well done. I was satisfied not only with how the story lines ended, but they felt organic and credible given the way the characters would have behaved. This story focused a bit more on the story and less on the science and physics the first 2/3rds of the book. However, in the last 1/3 of the book machine guns in free fall are just a bad, stupid idea. The ...more
Kasia
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Even more in love with Lem
Jarrett Piner
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a satisfying book! I had major worries when I learned that Card was writing prequels to Ender's Game, and am so glad he (and his co-author) wrote these. An absolute "MUST READ!" for any fans of the Enderverse.

Buy it and read it! ...but only after reading the first two...
New OS Card book...will not buy or read 13 51 Aug 13, 2016 05:42PM
  • Mentats of Dune (Schools of Dune #2)
  • Poisoned Pawn (The Fall of the Altairan Empire, #3)
  • Farside (The Grand Tour, #20)
  • Shattered Spear (The Lost Stars, #4)
  • Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show: An Anthology
  • House of Steel: The Honorverse Companion
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • After the Coup (Old Man's War, #4.5)
  • Ender's Game: War of Gifts
  • The Long Mars (The Long Earth, #3)
  • The Dark Between the Stars
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War #1)
  • Firstborn & Defending Elysium
  • Antiagon Fire (Imager Portfolio, #7)
  • Influx
  • Dark Matter (Star Carrier, #5)
  • To Protect (I, Robot [Reichert], #1)
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...

The First Formic War (3 books)
  • Earth Unaware (The First Formic War, #1)
  • Earth Afire (The First Formic War, #2)
“Sometimes you have to trust people enough to let them succeed and love them enough to let them fail.” 4 likes
“Why do we persist in this divided idiocy? Because the world is full of prideful bastards, that’s why. Everyone believes they’re smarter than everyone else, more capable than everyone else, more justified than everyone else. Humility went extinct a long time ago.” 4 likes