Start by marking “Strange Country (Wide Open, #3)” as Want to Read:
Strange Country (Wide Open, #3)

Strange Country

(Wide Open #3)

The third novel in the sequence that includes Wide Open and Deep Down, Strange Country will be published on May 27, 2014.

In Strange Country, Hallie is settling into life in Taylor County, South Dakota. She’s survived a trip to the underworld and she has a ranch to run, and she’s waiting, not very patiently, for the other shoe to drop. Death will return. He always does. And
Published May 27th 2014 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Strange Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Country

Dr susan
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OH NO!! The Burrito of Sadness has engulfed 2014! Strange Country is the end of another awesome series...will the sadness ever end??

I asked Deborah Coates whether Strange Country is the end of Hallie's and Boyd's adventures, and she graciously replied, "Yes." So, I am currently rolled up burrito-style in my blankie with my teddie bear, typing this review and quietly mourning.

Strange Country should not be read as a stand alone. Although some explanations are offered, the relationship between Hall
Alice Liu
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Strange Country is a supernatural murder mystery with horror undertones. As a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, Hallie Michaels brings some interesting skills to bear in her odd situation in West Prarie City. Death has asked her to replace him, she has died and yet come back alive, and she has proven herself capable of dealing with unearthly dangers. But now someone with a plain old gun is causing murder and mayhem. I love how Hallie taps into her military skills to deal with danger as well as ...more
Jaclyn
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Strange Country is the final book in Deborah Coates rural fantasy trilogy. In the final installment all the threads all pulled together leaving readers with a satisfying conclusion, although I wouldn't be opposed to further books featuring Hallie and Boyd. Ultimately, this book is hauntingly written, showcasing a barren landscape in an exceptionally vivid way. Strange Country is not action-packed, but does it ever leave an impression.

The third book follows the events of Deep Down. Hallie has sav
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)

It’s 3am when sheriff’s deputy Boyd Davies gets a call about a possible prowler. When he arrives at the woman’s house he makes sure that the house is clear of intruders, and they talk a bit. The woman knows that Boyd has certain talents, and asks for his help, albeit in a vague way. Even though Boyd has an odd feeling about the situation, he realizes that there’s really nothing for him to do, and starts to leave. Unease soon turns to shock, though. As Boyd
Melissa
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've read the other 2 books in the trilogy and I was so happy when I got this one for review. I've enjoyed the other books and I needed the conclusion that would wrap up everything. I did get that in this installment.

My favorite aspects of this trilogy are the paranormal aspects. The author is very descriptive which will enthrall some and for others it will slow the book down. When the paranormal aspects are in play, you will praise the author for bringing it so visually to you. For the more "mu
Melliane
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

I did not know anything about the series before reading this third and final volume. It is often easier to get into paranormal thrillers without looking at the order of the books than with fantasy novels. And yes, this is actually the case here! Even if we continue a story already begun earlier, I think it is not very complicated to easily get into the volume. But, even if it’s true that some events are recalled, as always I think it would be easier for
Julia Putnam
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it
8/3/17: I read these for a quick read and got that. I got a little bored by the end of this one for some reason, but it was nice to finish and I'm ready to move on!

7/2/14: Maybe it's because it was the last one that I read, but I think I liked this one best of the three. I feel like I was actually able to connect with the characters this time! I don't know if that's because I was on both sides of the perspective or what, but this one worked more for me.

I totally thought it wrapped up poorly - a
Colleen
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying ending for an entertaining trilogy. I liked that the setting was rural vs. urban and liked the characters.
erforscherin
I first discovered Deborah Coates with Wide Open , the first book in this series, and fell in love with her descriptions. Coates can create atmosphere like no one else I've ever read, and Hallie and Boyd are wonderful, stubborn, human characters in their own right. It might sound a little silly, but for fictional people I am weirdly proud of how far those two have come in the previous two books.

So - all of this is to say that I've been looking forward to Strange Country for about a year now, an
Ashley
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The characters are well-developed and the storyline is interesting. Maker is a great character and I was happy to see him again in here. This is a nice conclusion to the series. Very much worth the read
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
It wasn't bad. I enjoyed the characters. The plot was entertaining enough. The protagonist feeling like the weight of the world is on her shoulders was maybe over done but it fit the story.
Kelly
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
In the Taylor County series, Deborah Coates has blended a wide-open prairie landscape, eerie magic, and great characters to create a memorable rural fantasy. She has said that Strange Country is the final book in the series.

Hallie Michaels has moved into the Pabahar place and finds herself staying inside its protections more often than she cares to admit. She knows one day there will be another reckoning with Death, and she’s in no rush to have that conversation. But cryptic messages start showi
Lesa
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Asked what he calls The Dresden Files, Jim Butcher said he likes the term "contemporary fantasy" to refer to books set in contemporary times that feature paranormal elements. That's the perfect definition of Deborah Coates' books. I've never known exactly how to refer to them. Are they horror? Paranormal? They have elements of both, along with a tough protagonist. Coates' books depend on the eerie atmosphere created by the isolated landscape in rural South Dakota. And, they depend on an eerie at ...more
Maggie
Mar 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
I don't know how it's taken me until the third book to pinpoint what is so annoying about this series, but I've finally got it down! I was halfway through when I just became too frustrated with the story and writing to fully continue, so I skimmed the rest and read the end and realized I missed nooooothing from the plot. A character is shot. That's all that happens in the 150 pages I skimmed. Anyway, my issue with the writing: it's trying much too hard to be casual yet dramatic all at once. Almo ...more
Jackie
From book 1 Wide Open to book 2 Deep Down and now in book 3 Strange Country I have been pleased with the steady pace, the character development, the mysteries that are solved and the bits of romance that flow through each book.

Leaving behind Taylor County South Dakota with it's far reaching vistas of wide open spaces, and once again Hallie Michaels home, was not quite the wrench that was afraid it would be after spending the past week learning about the inhabitants.

Strange Country neatly complet
AJ
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. The protagonist is an actual well-rounded "strong female character" in the best sense of the word... She's skilled, independent, actually has other female friends, doesn't leap into a relationship just so the book can get sexy, etc etc etc.

On the other hand, while reading this third book, I kept getting caught up on how repetitive the language could be. Did I not notice it as much in the first two books, or did it start with this one? Was it a conscious choice by the author,
Liz Townsend
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This one seemed a lot more cohesive than the last one - which seems to be the way with series, you start with a great one, the second one stumbles a bit, but by the 3rd the author tends to get their footing (at least, for a good series, if the 3rd still falls flat, it might be time to throw in the towel). Deborah Coates definitely found her footing with this 3rd installment to the Hallie Michaels story - I love how things are starting to come together for Hallie. Coates' voice is, as always, ama ...more
Frances
Sep 06, 2015 marked it as unexamined  ·  review of another edition
Made it to page 102 (end of the tenth chapter, just less than a third of the way through the book), but I picked this up not knowing it was (according to other reviews?) the third and final book of a trilogy. The writing's lovely and the characters are sympathetic, but I just feel like I'm missing too much. Going to set this one down.
Elizabeth Biehl
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Deborah Coates has really hit her stride. Her storytelling and mythology are tight, and the (always slight, even in Wide Open) unevenness of a debut/sophomore author has smoothed out. This is likely to be one of my favorite books of 2014, and I'm excited to see what she does next, in the Hallie Michaels storyline or otherwise.
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Third in the Wide Open series, another satisfyingly dark contemporary fantasy featuring an admirable Afghan war hero and her deputy confronting Death and fighting dark magics in the Badlands of South Dakota.
Sheila HAMMERSTAD
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Best of the three, but Hallie's thought process is much more interesting than her conversation. Her trademark, yeah, ok, shit and jesus return to this book. That is about the diversity of her speech.
Melani
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just love Deborah Coates's spare, Spartan writing style. It is so evocative of the place that I can feel the South Dakota wind as I read. I was a bit dissapointed in the showdown, which fizzled rather then banged, but everything else- top notch.
E.A.
Eerie and echoing, vivid descriptions and dialogue, I always savor a Deborah Coates novel. I didn't want to put it down, and I didn't want it to end. The climax was undercut, but the emotional resolution picked it up and carried me to a satisfying ending.
Lillie
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the last of the trilogy but the author should take note that there's this thing called a phone car charger. There should never be a time that cell phones should be out of charge when the characters drive so much.
Holly Mcentee
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Wow. This novel finishes the story arc nicely. The entire trilogy is eerie as hell - but in a good way.
Lisa
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book,too! Great author.
Kathrine
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I do wish there was further detail in "battle" in the end. Other than that it was great read!
Kim Dixon
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Am I the only one who felt that the end left a few loose ends? The biggest one being did Death accept what his daughter, Beth, wanted to do?
Kristi
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really like this series, it's different.

• Mother of Lies (Dodec, #2)
  • The Brave Free Men
  • Evil?
  • Lifeline
  • The Festival of Bones (Mythworld, #1)
  • Making Sense of the Alt-Right
  • Dead Soil (Dead Soil, #1)
  • The Kind Folk
  • The Permaculture City: Regenerative Design for Urban, Suburban, and Town Resilience
  • Endgame (Jani Kilian Chronicles, #5)
  • Hammerjack
  • Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy
  • Miles to Go (Sylvan Investigations, #1)
  • Barlowe's Guide to Fantasy: Great Heroes and Bizarre Beings from Imaginative Literature
  • The Everlasting
  • The Wand in the Word: Conversations with Writers of Fantasy
  • Water in Plain Sight: Hope for a Thirsty World
  • The Meaning of the Library: A Cultural History
I grew up on a farm in western New York. I currently live in central Iowa. I work in IT by day and train dogs and write books by night. I live with a Rottweiler, a German Pinscher and a lot of books.

I am a fan of flyover country, wide open spaces, weather, books, working dogs, gutsy heroines and steadfast heroes.

My first novel, Wide Open, was published by Tor on March 13, 2012. My second novel Dee

Wide Open (3 books)
  • Wide Open (Wide Open, #1)
  • Deep Down (Wide Open, #2)