Start by marking “Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles #4)” as Want to Read:
Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles #4)

Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles #4)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  20,720 Ratings  ·  1,606 Reviews
Be Careful What You Wish For opens with Harry Clifton and his wife Emma rushing to hospital to learn the fate of their son Sebastian, who has been involved in a fatal car accident. But who died, Sebastian or his best friend Bruno?

When Ross Buchanan is forced to resign as chairman of the Barrington Shipping Company, Emma Clifton wants to replace him. But Don Pedro Martinez
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published March 11th 2014 by Macmillan Audio

To ask other readers questions about Be Careful What You Wish For, please sign up.

Sharon Skellie You could! But you really need to gain the family history and what has lead to some of the decisions, feuds, etc over the years.
Stephanie Scott I read the second in the series first and then backtracked. Now I am on #4, and really enjoying the ride.

Sam Arnold
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have friends who will not read a series of books until they have brought them all. Having been frustrated at having to wait until 2015 to see how this ends I am beginning to see there point. That is how good this series of books it. I was frustrated at the end of the last one and I am frustrated at the end of this one. I hate waiting.

The story starts exactly where the last left us and continues the story of all the characters we have come to love in the Clifton Chronicles. As the novels progr
Edie
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This saga is draggin out a bit too long for me. This is number 4 in the Clifton Family soap opera and there is at least one more to go. Strikes me that old Jeffrey is just making hay while he can. The story is very predictable but the most disappointing thing for me is the lack of connection with the characters. They are there, playing their parts but I really don't have any feeling for them one way or another. The worst part about this is that I'll probably read the next one too....!
Nilesh
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Clifton Chronicles in the fourth episode first drifts then decays and by the end simply disintegrates into a purposeless record of a barely interesting family. It keeps trying to evoke reader emotions through the same story tricks used frequently in the previous books but they are no longer charming, if not outright annoying.

Multi-generation accounts are always tricky. The arrow of a usual such story requires an opening in the initial phase that meets some sort of a closure in the climax to hang
Patrice Hoffman
HOW DARE YOU END A STORY THAT WAY MR. ARCHER!!!!

Jeffrey Archer forces me, and other readers alike, to wait a whole year before we can get the book 5 in the Clifton Chronicles?!?!?! That is unacceptable. Like it's predecessors, Be Careful What You Wish For ends with a cliffhanger that cleverly forces readers to buy the next in the series. I see what you did there Mr. Archer. And I'm not mad at all. Not one little bit...

Be Careful What You Wish For begins where leaves off barely allowing a moment
Diptakirti Chaudhuri
When I was in Class 7, my father recommended the first Jeffrey Archer novel I read - Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less. I did not quite understand the intricacies of the stock fraud but the reverse stings were spectacular. And I was hooked for life.
When you are nearing forty, you get used to quality of your favourite things deteriorating. Old haunts shut down. Favourite authors turn boring. Actors you love start hamming.

The Clifton Chronicles come as a welcome relief. Jeffrey Archer, whom I re
Kathy Chung
I am disappointed by this book as I have expected more.

it seems that the story getting repetitious. previously Lady Virginia wants to destroy the family. in this book, it's Don Pedro turn.

for me Boardroom politics is getting a bit tedious. too much time was spent on boardrooms squabbles.

I felt that the aftermath of Sebastian and Bruno's accident was rather flat.

the part about Jessica and Clive was not intense enough.

maybe branching out and writing about various events in the life of the next
Charlene Intriago
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2014
A quick read and engaging story in the Harry Clifton chronicles. There are good guys and bad guys (really bad guys). What is that old saying - "Revenge is a dish best served cold"?? And who wins in the end? I had to keep turning the pages!
Ionia
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first couple of books in this series and the last one I found somewhat enjoyable as well. Sadly, by this book I no longer have much interest.

This book felt...lacking. As I was reading through the accounts of the daily life of this family, I felt like I was watching a rather lackluster reality show. The story is still well written and the characters are as real as ever, but I didn't feel like this book had the drive and excitement that the previous ones did.

I did enjoy getting to unc
Savvy
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm so disappointed with this book that it's heartbreaking for me, especially since Jeffrey Archer is one of my favourite authors. There's overuse of the same cheap tricks over and over, and the events becomes quite predictable. Even the cliff hanger at the end is not very intriguing, because there are only two possible resolutions, and the sequence of events following either of them is nothing to look forward to if the writing continues to be so insipid.
Definitely not worth the year long wait,
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Another Archer cliffhanger! One absolutely devastating event, I suppose I understand why it was necessary to the plot, but I was still not happy about it
Certain characters seem to get their comeuppance, but that's what's so satisfying about Archer. Will new ones be introduced in book five or will these old ones rear their ugly heads again?
The story continues to branch out from the immediate family members, which enriches the read. And of course the book ends with such a device to motivate you
Jane
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, an amazing book in this author's "Clifton Chronicles" series - #4. The suspense builds through the entire book and then on the last page (the same in each book), you are left hanging - impossible to imagine the fate of your favorite characters. I hate having to wait until sometime in 2015 to read the next book. All of the characters and their relationships have been so well written. It has been a joy to read each book (except nothing else in my life gets done).
I highly recommend that
 Olivermagnus
42. [Be Careful What You Wish For] by Jeffrey Archer - 4.5 Stars

Be Careful What You Wish For is the fourth novel in the Clifton Chronicles, set primarily in England and spanning the years 1957 to 1964. It continues to follow the Clifton and Barrington families as they try to outmaneuver Don Pedro Martinez, an Argentinean smuggler who featured heavily in the prior novel, Best Kept Secret.

I don't recommend reading this book as a standalone novel because you would miss out on some of the history o
Dave
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeffrey-archer
I believe this is the 4th of the series and it has continued to be an interesting fictional story of two different families. I think this one has the 4th generation in their early 20s and it's full of mystery, romance, murder and intrigue. I'd highly recommend the series.
P.A.Davies P.A.Davies
Another great tale from Archer ending with yet another marvellous cliffhanger. Yes, he may be slightly predictable with his writings and yes, some people don't favour the man's stories but for me, I find his novels easy and enjoyable to read.
"Be careful what you wish for" is the fourth instalment of the Clifton Chronicles and as usual, is both well researched and written in a manner that seamlessly links this and his previous episodes together, offering gentle reminders about what happened in b
Adelaide Silva
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5*. Um estória de leitura compulsiva, uma trama emocionante. Só não dou as 5* porque odeio, odeio o suspense e a angústia em que o livro termina.
Matt
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Archer's heptalogy continues with the fourth instalment of the Clifton Chronicles. The novel opens hoping to resolve the major cliffhanger after Sebastian is in a major car accident and someone has died. Harry and Emma rush to the hospital to get the news, which changes their lives forever. Emma cannot sit by idly as Barrington Shipping's chairman resigns, leaving her the opportunity to fill the void. Don Pedro Martinez, a powerful new enemy of the Cliftons, uses his company shares in an attempt ...more
Arvind
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 After the first half, i thought of a 3/5 rating but things spiced up. "Shareef" educated gentlemen playing with the fool with a vengeance is a favourite theme of mine. Reminded a tiny bit of Archer's own "Not a penny more...".
Joe Stamber
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio, read-2014
Now on its fourth book, Archer's Clifton Chronicles seems to be on a downward spiral. I really enjoyed the first two in the series, but then the third wasn't up to the same standard - with one of the most significant reasons being the ill advised plot featuring the irritating Lady Virginia. Sadly, this latest instalment continues the trend, including a couple of unwelcome cameos by the aforementioned Lady V.

Much of the early part of Be Careful What You Wish For revolves around boardroom battles
Talk about on-the-edge-of-your-seat suspense! This 4th volume is no exception, and I must say the Clifton Chronicles have become my favourite Jeffrey Archer novels. The series is a masterpiece.

So why only 4 stars? Because I am one of many readers who can't stand cliffhanger endings. You're a cruel storyteller, Mr Archer! Furious and frustrated, I had to put the series on hold after #3, until I read you are publishing the 7th and final volume this Autumn. Even then, I had to re-read #3 again to
Joel Szerlip
Be Careful What You Wish For is at the very least a better novel then the previous entry into the series, Best Kept Secret. However for a series that started off as splendidly as this, its still a let down from the first two novels.

Be Careful What You Wish For picks up minutes after the cliffhanger from Best Kept Secret and continues down the winding road of mysteries that is a Jeffrey Archer novel. For the first two novels of the series all the twists and turns seemed justified. Unfortunately t
Laurie
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I used to love Jeffrey Archer's novels. I guess my tastes have changed over the years. The last few I've read just have bored me. I don't care about the characters or the plots. Ho hum. And it wasn't until I got to the end that I realized it was one in a series of books, so it left off like the cliffhanger of a TV series, which made me feel duped. Nowhere on the cover does it say it's one of a series. Phooey to Jeffrey Archer. It's the last of his that I'll bother with. What's with these authors ...more
Tanya
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting story but I didn't want it to end! Wish these authors would receive an incentive for publishing more often rather than less often.
Benjamin Thomas
The fourth book in the “Clifton Chronicles” series continues the family saga of the Cliftons and the Barringtons bringing them up through the year 1964. As in the other novels of the series, we are treated to the various triumphs and tragedies of this extended family as they make their perilous way through the 20th century. Combining boardroom power struggles, financial back-door deals, art auctions, IRA terrorist plots, this book packs in a lot of story.

And Mr. Archer is not afraid to kill off
Chinmay Maheshwari
Starting is a bit slow and there are pieces that don't seem to fit in. Then comes the entire jumbled-up plots of old and new parties, trying to outsmart each other. On one side is the old Barringtons, Clifftons and their supporters, both old and new. And on the other side is Don Pedro Martinez, his not so smart sons and some hired Irishmen.
The character of Cedric Hardcastle seems to be trying to take place of good old Jack, but he doesn't come even halfway through to the level of wisdom, wit, i
Roxanne
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a giveaway on Goodreads. Book 4 starts off with a bang! Literally picks up where book 3 ends. I am not going to spoil that in case you haven't read book. Needless to say the Cliftons are back to face the enemies made in all the previous books. Major Fischer and Virginia are still around and Don Pedro is still trying to destroy them.

I have so much to say but it's hard not to spoil these books as so much hinges on the cliffhangers that Jeffrey Archer seems to adore. I have to sa
Mohana Sidhaarth
How does Jeffrey Archer manage this? Every single time, in each of his books, he manages to grab my attention and make sure I don't put down the book until I am done.

It has been more than a year since I read the last book. I was sure I had forgotten everything about the Clifton Chronicles. I was having some difficulty remembering the plot of the first three books and where the last one ended. But as soon as I read the first few pages of the fourth installment, the entire story came rushing back
Betsy
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed Jeffrey Archer's work in the past. True confessions: I listened to this one on CD. After the initial event that set everything in motion, I found myself tuning out until about a third of the way through, when a couple of the characters and scenes grabbed my interest. And then Archer had me. It was a who-done-it par excellence right up to the end. I started the CD over to figure out what had happened at the beginning and how the characters fit together. Only then did I see how the ...more
Shubhra
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a regular Archer book... intricate, fast-paced, some good dialogues, great character insights and really good language. Surprisingly, no pulling of the punches was performed with respect to losses to key characters and losses of key characters - and that is worthy of respect. The interplay of joys and losses, and the emerging of protagonists after the losses into sunshine, makes for some delightful reading.
Plus, the cameo appearance of a surprising historical figure was fun to read.
Wishing
Catherine  Mustread
Not as riveting as the first three in the Harry Clifton series – the family ups and downs are just as action-packed and suspenseful but I've gotten inured to the crises. A sad scene featuring one of the less developed characters, and the usual major suspense at the end, leaving me to wonder how soon I can get my hands on the next in the series, Mightier Than the Sword. Thankfully I have some other books to read as my plan is to take a break from this series for awhile and maybe the next one will ...more
LuAnn
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
This series continues with another intriguing addition that demonstrates why Jeffrey Archer is one of the greatest storytellers of our generation!
Archer never, ever disappoints. He makes every story fascinating to read and this book is right up there with the best.
I've truly been enjoying this series and I read where it will now change from 5 to 7 books. Each one covers a particular point in time and brings the reader right into the storyline. The characters are so well thought out and you feel
Could not put it down, one of 4 great books 4 36 Jan 11, 2015 10:38AM
The wait for the next book is killing me! 2 20 Dec 05, 2014 04:00AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 15 Aug 06, 2014 05:09PM
Waiting.... 2 45 Apr 03, 2014 03:04PM
  • Black Horizon (Jack Swyteck, #11)
  • Jack of Diamonds
  • The Lost Story
  • Missouri! (Wagons West, #14)
  • The Establishment (Lavette Family, #3)
  • God is a Gamer
  • Songs of the Shenandoah (Heirs of Ireland #3)
  • King and Maxwell (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #6)
  • Deadly Assets (Badge of Honor, #12)
  • Swann Dives In (Henry Swann #2)
  • Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn  (Guinevere, #3)
  • The Seventh Secret
  • Walking Home: My Family and Other Rambles
  • The Keeper (Dismas Hardy, #15)
  • Silken Prey (Lucas Davenport, #23)
  • Pendragon's Banner (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #2)
  • The Death Trade (Sean Dillion, #20)
  • Pirate Alley (Tommy Carmellini #5)
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married
More about Jeffrey Archer...

The Clifton Chronicles (7 books)
  • Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sins of the Father (The Clifton Chronicles, #2)
  • Best Kept Secret (The Clifton Chronicles, #3)
  • Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles, #6)
  • This Was a Man (The Clifton Chronicles, #7)

“A work of art is worth what someone will pay for it.” 9 likes
“An unguarded comment often proves every bit as valuable as a response to a direct question.” 5 likes