Start by marking “Ninja!” as Want to Read:
Ninja!

Ninja!

(Ninja! #1)

A ninja must be strong, courageous, and silent! He creeps through the house on a secret mission. There may be obstacles! But have no fear—a true ninja can overcome all challenges.
Published June 3rd 2014 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about Ninja!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ninja!

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny acts of stealth around the house - great art!
Tova
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
If you want to be a Ninja and I mean, who doesn't this is your guide book.
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Ninja! by Arree Chung is hilarious and sweet. Yes, sweet! Ninjas can be sweet! :D

Our story unfolds in pages divided into action packed sequences. Pages that have almost a comic book feel to them. Big, clear images come together frame by frame showing just how dangerous the path to the cookie jar can be! Movement and danger around every corner! Sneaky don’t-make-a-sound moves, sticky gloves, and sleeping Dads all add to the fun--bringing the ways of the Ninja alive.

”Against all odds, he must beli
Abigail
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Would-Be Ninjas / Children Who Enjoy Imaginative Play
A ninja needs special skills and special tools, as the narrator of this tongue-in-cheek picture-book informs us, chronicling his own super-secret ninja mission. Whether it's sneaking up on his snoozing father or stealing some milk and cookies from his baby sister, a ninja has to be able to make himself invisible, and get in and out of a room quickly...

The first book that author/artist Arree Chung both wrote and illustrated, Ninja! is an entertaining look at a young boy's imaginative world. Altho
Bri
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Randomly picked this up when I was bored behind the Circ desk and OMG - it's my new favorite. Cute, funny, ACTION PACKED.

And really, aren't we ALL on a mission to capture cookies and milk?
Jody
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Well, um, it was okay. The end.
Michele Knott
Love the story, illustrations and layout.
Chung tells the story from the perspective of a young ninja, who must conquer beasts, overcome obstacles and capture cookies and milk! I love the verbs and ninja descriptions!
The illustrations are fantastic - kids will love the bright colors and simple illustrations. The details are in the added parts to certain scenes - ninja-like backgrounds are etched in to the backgrounds. My absolute favorite spread is the ninja in a black background with the words
Barbara
When a young boy moves stealthily through the house in ninja fashion, he is successful until his baby sister spots him as he sips milk and munches some cookies. I like how vividly his movements are depicted--and I love the idea of his being willing to pass on to his sister the ways of the ninja. Together, they ought to make an awesome pair. the illustrations, created from acrylics, found paper, and then Photoshopped, are filled with imaginative scenes from the life of a young ninja.
Donalyn
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A young boy lives a rich fantasy life as a ninja and he shares his suggestions for becoming an awesome ninja in this playful book. Rich language and active word choices will make this a great read aloud.
Colette
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every Ninja needs to read this book! Or at least aspiring Ninja's! Especially if you have a baby sister! Fun, colorful, just waiting to be read. Arree Chung keeps you wanting to turn the pages.
Bethe
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reminiscent of Dan Santant's ninja folktales, a little boy uses the way of the ninja to overcome obstacles in his home. Love the 4th page from the end! Is it just me, or do the noses look weird?
Edward Sullivan
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great fun for young ninja wannabes everywhere.
Sara
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool, ninjas
CUTE! The comic-book-panel style illustration miiight be tricky to share in story time, but I think it's perfect enough in all other ways to give it a try.
Erin
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book goes through all the things one needs to be a ninja. It shows a young boy playing a ninja going through a couple different missions.

Good for preschool storytimes.
Kerry
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great imaginary play story of a little boy as a ninja. Illustrations by Chung are reminiscent of Disney, Pixar or Dan Santat. Looking forward to more books by Chung.
Natalie VanDusen
Love love loved this! The illustrations were awesome. How did this not get Caldecott??
Baby Bookworm
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Well, we’ve done it! One whole year of reading! Thanks so much for all your support! We’ll be posting this one last review today, then we’re taking a week off for some family time, but we’ll be right back on Father’s Day with a special book. As for today, we’ve read Ninja! by Arree Chung, a playful tale of make-believe.

The tools of the ninja? Silent shoes, sticky gloves, unbreak
Christina Carter
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really, who doesn't want to be a ninja? I've seen first hand from my own kids their creative ninja moves, equipment, and outfits (mostly all clad in black, you know for stealth missions), and I think that's a big part of why I enjoyed this book; because it speaks to the ambition of countless children. Arree Chung's Ninja! provides tips, tricks, and even a list of necessary supplies for any aspiring ninja. And I have to admit that Maxwell's moves are pretty impressive. I'm not the only one who th ...more
Reade
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Ninja is a book about a young boy enjoying his fantasy as a ninja. He explains what things you need to do in order to be a ninja. The boy defeats the dog to get to his dad and scare him while he is sleeping. Then the young ninja hides from his mom to steal the cookies and milk from his younger sister. He eventually gets caught by his mom and teaches his younger sister the ways of the ninja.
Book topic ideas
1.) Students could create their own ninja story of what they think you have to do to be a
Nancy Kotkin
Maxwell dresses up as a ninja, then practices his ninja skills. When his mission to steal his little sister's cookies and milk fails, he is banished. Being a ninja, he makes a peace offering to his sister.

This is the prequel to Ninja! Attack of the Clan, which I read first and really enjoyed. But this story doesn't feel fully fleshed out or as satisfying as the sequel. There isn't enough plot or interaction to earn the ending. The sequential art is high quality.
Nicola
May 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Hmm, Miss 3 wasn't too fussed - possibly not enough ninja sound effects. Fun illustrations though as he stealthily moves around the house and tries to steal cookies. After accidentally upsetting his little sister, he decides to teach her the way of the ninja.

Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new
Margaret Boling
1/3/2019 ~ I discovered this series when I read a 2018 release by Chung and saw this book mentioned on the flyleaf. Oh the paths we take to discover new-to-us authors!

I loved the imaginative play. I loved the inclusion of Asian (Japanese?) elements (dragons in the background). I did (sort of) want some bit of "don't try this at home"!

I know I have readers who will request this book and it's companions time and time again.

Marcia
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun story of a little boy who sneaks around the house like a Ninja. The panel illustrations are perfect in capturing the action.
I was reminded in a couple of the illustrations of David Shannon's, No David! ---something about the open mouth and the ring of teeth.
A fun read aloud for young children.
Maria
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ninja, the art of going undetected and reaching your goals thru strength and cunning. Perfect for Story Time, the illustrations are charming and the action is fast.

Why I started this book: Sitting at the Circulation Desk today and a lot of new books were returned.

Why I finished it: I can't wait to read this to the kids!
Nicole
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Ninja is a great book. Getting my boys to read can be a struggle sometimes but ever since I got Ninja from the library they fight over who gets to read it first. I have a feeling this is going to be one that gets purchased and added to our library.
Maren
Kids weren't very impressed with this. The illustrations were nicely done, but the occasional comic book format made it seem disjointed, and ultimately the book was too visually dark to follow clearly.
Julie
Cute picture book about a ninja who assembles the necessary tools and practices his art on his unsuspecting family (until he gets caught). Then, he starts to train his little sister in the way of the ninja. Fun drawings and simple text for early- to mid-elementary range readers.
Viviane Elbee
My boys loved this book - Ninja Maxwell is a very relatable character.

The writing is great. It has a lovely rhythm to it - "a ninja sneaks, creeps, tumbles, hides, and is fast on his feet."

The illustrations are also fun - love the dragon!
Lynn  Davidson
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A small boy believes he can be stealthy like a ninja, so he dresses the part and sets out to do ninja things. His little sister watches, amused, as her brother gets into situations.
Amazing illustrations.
Earl
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I decided to pick this up since Arree Chung is currently offering a free picture book making course online. Plus, this was a somewhat popular title at our store. Immediately you get the sense that this will make for a great read-aloud. And I love that it reads like a graphic novel with certain spreads featured in comic strips style. Fun!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• This Is a Moose
  • The Troublemaker
  • Dojo Daycare
  • How to Cheer Up Dad
  • Ninja Red Riding Hood
  • The Monstore
  • My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)
  • Louise Loves Art
  • It's an Orange Aardvark!
  • Froodle
  • Kid Sheriff and the Terrible Toads
  • How to Wash a Woolly Mammoth
  • Little Elliot, Big City
  • Moo!
Arree Chung makes picture books but he didn’t always do so. Once he made spreadsheets all day long and he decided that he wanted to make pictures instead. Arree learned how to draw, paint and think a little bit differently at Art Center College of Design.

Arree is represented by Rubin Pfeffer at Rubin Pfeffer Content. http://www.rpcontent.com

Lots of cool stuff at: http://arree.com

Ninja! (3 books)