Start by marking “Zibaldone” as Want to Read:
Zibaldone

Zibaldone

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  223 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A groundbreaking translation of the epic work of one of the great minds of the nineteenth century. (Jonathan Galassi's translation of Leopardi's Canti was published by FSG in 2010.)

Giacomo Leopardi was the greatest Italian poet of the nineteenth century and was recognized by readers from Nietzsche to Beckett as one of the towering literary figures in Italian history. To ma
Published August 11th 2015 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about Zibaldone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zibaldone

Geoff
Jul 27, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: infinite-books
Ahhhh crap.. I just bought this 2592-page somnabitch, brand spankin' new hardcover, for upwards of like 50 USA American buckskins $$$. With another possible Cruz-infused gubment shutdown looming at the end of this month/fiscal year? And thus the involuntary furloughing of my job and unwilling sacrifice of my salary to his monomaniac campaign fund? Irresponsible managing of my budget, yessir! It almost makes a man want to find an escape from this cold cruel world of careerist money-dominance and ...more
Hadrian
Nov 09, 2013 marked it as on-hold
On hold in perpetuity.

His long passages on language are promising, but I have a fundamental distaste for his pessimism. There are few things less stimulating than to hear some chauvinism and glorification of the past for 900 pages.

If I knew more French and Italian (at the least) I could appreciate more of what he says. But now there is little else to learn from.
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
A piece from The Guardian :
"Translation of Giacomo Leopardi's Zibaldone published :: Italians consider him one of their greatest minds, but 19th-century poet and philosopher remains somewhat unknown"

_____________
"Giacomo Leopardi's Zibaldone, the Least Known Masterpiece of European Literature" ;; review in New Republic, 8November2013 ,, by Adam Kirsch ::

"But there is nothing in all the thousands of pages of the Zibal
Harper Curtis
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book, finally available in English. Thank you FSG!
Anywhere you open this 2500-page tome you are likely to find something engaging.
I'm looking for some good quotes but so far my favorite passages are all long.

You can read a review by Tim Parks here:

And one by Robert Pogue Harrison here:
Lys
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classici, paper-book
Di Leopardi leggerei anche la lista della spesa. E anche quella saprebbe regalarmi emozioni sconfinate.

"Nessun maggior segno d'essere poco filosofo e poco savio, che volere savia e filosofica tutta la vita."
August
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Leopardi's epic notebook, "Zibaldone" or Hodgepodge, translated into English for the first time at over 4,500 pages, is a bibliophile's dream. It's a immense readable tome with a wealth of insight. It's great to pull of your bookshelf in between reads, which I have been doing on and off for the past year. I'll probably be reading it till the day I die.
charta
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: consultazione, europa
Il silenzio è il linguaggio delle forti passioni
J.W. Dionysius Nicolello
Feb 08, 2017 marked it as to-read
This came in through interlibrary loan today. I was reminded of Leopardi through mentioning in a piece Dahlberg wrote on Hart Crane. Canti led me to Zibaldone. I looked at this thing next to Bottom's Dream on my desk and realized that has been and shall be a goddamn great year. I know myself too well: one does not borrow Zibaldone: one purchases Zibaldone. Therein I did. Should have my edition in a week or so.
Marc
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Scattered considerations, spread over the period 1817-1832, but mainly concentrated around 1820-1821. This book offers a selection. Themes: linguistics, literature, culture, autobiography, philosophy. Not everything is deep and thorough. Much about Greek antique literature and language, especially an ode to Homer (p 169ev), Dante (192) and, to a lesser extent, to Virgil and Petrarca. Some really brilliant insights.
Phil
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leopardi is a genius, and this book is best enjoyed by someone fluent in Greek, Latin, Spanish, French, and Italian, like the author. Between the detailed notes on language, there is an absolutely brilliant set of philosophical insights that make this book worthwhile. However, an edited version of this that only contains his philosophy would be even better because it would be more accessible.
Brdei
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La summa di tutto, del nostro niente, di ciò che siamo...
Delta
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, z2016
This "book" is possibly the biggest behemoth I have ever come across. And it's not an easy read either. The (translated) writing is poetic. The subject matter is diverse with no flow from one topic to another. I had never heard of Leopardi before seeing this book, so it was a pleasure to finally read something from him.

**I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.**
Adam
I read this last year & am still unsure how to rate it.
Barbara Summey
Jul 27, 2015 marked it as to-read
the author is very good page after page you will not be sorry for reading this book the page turner is hot for sure
Bernard
Pasquale Verdicchio
Sep 24, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Sincerity and Authenticity
  • Sincerity: How a Moral Ideal Born Five Hundred Years Ago Inspired Religious Wars, Modern Art, Hipster Chic, and the Curious Notion That We All Have Something to Say (No Matter How Dull)
  • The Forbidden Best-Sellers of Pre-Revolutionary France
  • Miss MacIntosh, My Darling
  • The Waste Books
  • Selected Writings
  • L'ardore
  • Stones of Aran: Pilgrimage (Stones of Aran #1)
  • Classical Philosophy (A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps #1)
  • Aisthesis: Scenes from the Aesthetic Regime of Art
  • The Best of Robert Ingersoll
  • Revolutionary Pamphlets
  • Selected Writings on Art and Literature
Italian scholar, poet, and philosopher, one of the great writers of the 19th century. Leopardi was a contemporary of the German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer, with whom he shared a similar pessimistic view of life. Leopardi's love problems inspired some of his saddest lyrics. In his late years, when he lived on the slopes of Vesuvius, Leopardi meditated upon the possibility of the total destruct ...more
More about Giacomo Leopardi

• The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Unshakeable Trust: Find the Joy of Trusting God at All Times, in All Things
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of How the Wildest Man in Congress and a Rogue CIA Agent Changed the History
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Things I've Been Silent About
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
“Children find everything in nothing, men find nothing in everything.” 35 likes
“No one thing shows the greatness and power of the human intellect or the loftiness and nobility of man more than his ability to know and to understand fully and feel strongly his own smallness. When, in considering the multiplicity of worlds, he feels himself to be an infinitesimal part of a globe which itself is a negligible part of one of the infinite number of systems that go to make up the world, and in considering this is astonished by his own smallness, and in feeling it deeply and regarding it intently, virtually blends into nothing, and it is as if he loses himself in the immensity of things, and finds himself as though lost in the incomprehensible vastness of existence, with this single act of thought he gives the greatest possible proof of the nobility and immense capability of his own mind, which, enclosed in such a small and negligible being, has nonetheless managed to know and understand things so superior to his own nature, and to embrace and contain this same intensity of existence and things in his thought.” 14 likes