Start by marking “Edda: A Little Valkyrie's First Day of School” as Want to Read:
Edda: A Little Valkyrie's First Day of School

Edda: A Little Valkyrie's First Day of School

Edda is a Valkyrie (an ancient Norse goddess who guides and protects heroes). She lives in a magical land called Asgard where she has everything she wants. Well . . . almost everything. Edda wants to find a friend her own age. Edda’s wise papa knows of a place where she can make friends: a place on Earth called “school.”

School is very different from Asgard. Edda’s not sure
Published June 24th 2014 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about Edda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edda

Start your review of Edda: A Little Valkyrie's First Day of School
Jon Nakapalau
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She came from Asgard - to go to school on Midgard! Really fun 'first day of school' book! ...more
Ksenia
Apr 15, 2014 added it
Shelves: publicist-books
What an utterly charming book! I mean, a little Valkyrie attending school for the first time? That can be nerve wrecking for anybody and even little Valkyries are super brave! The art for this book just makes me want to hug it!
Jasmine
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Adorable story of bravery and making friends, but mostly what I'm getting here is that school is the worst. ...more
Abigail
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for 'First Day of School' Stories for the Picture-Book Set
The littlest Valkyrie in Asgard, Edda enjoyed many things about her home, from the adventures chasing unruly monsters to the feasts that everyone shared together. But she also longed to know other children her own age, leading her wise father to take her down to earth, to attend something called "school." School was an adjustment, but fortunately Edda was brave...

A sweet, Norse-mythology-inspired take on one of the classic early childhood experiences - heading off to school for the first time -
Julia
A very fun picture book that works for both Norse mythology lovers and kiddos who are getting ready to go to school.
Aylea
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Edda is the littlest Valkyrie and loves her life of adventure in Asgard, but she also wants to make friends her own age. When she tells her father this, he lets her go to earth and go to school with other kids. She has never been away from Asgard, but her papa assures her that even little Valkyries can be very brave. School is hard at first, especially when she is trying to make new friends and learning to follow the rules, but soon Edda finds a way to make friends in class and to do well in her ...more
Karen
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Edda is a young Norse Valkyrie who lives in Asgard (those of you who are fans of Thor know this place). She wants to find kids her own age, so her father takes her to school on Earth. She finds that school is very different. No one wants to be her friend and school is so much different that being in Asgard. She is homesick, so during writing time she shares about her home. Edda discovers that maybe school isn't such a bad place after all.

I really liked this story. Everyone is worried the first d
Karin
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
In honor of the first day of classes here at SHSU, I read EDDA: A LITTLE VALKYRIE'S FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. A cute story of a little girl isolated in Asgard with a wish to meet kids her own age. Her father sends her to school, and while there learns there are differences between school and home. Because of her bravery, she meets new friends and has new adventures.

This is also perfect because I'm almost finished listening to The Strange Maid by Tessa Gratton.
Karen Bromley
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love that Edda is a typical kid (well, besides her being a Valkyrie), rather than a stereotypical girl. I am always seeking strong female character
representation for both my son and daughter, and Edda is a fun one. I think the thing that bothered me a bit was the depiction of school. It seemed tedious and boring until Edda made friends. Not sure if I like that particular message.
Miranda
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grace-reads
I love this book! A little Valkyrie from Asgard decides that she'd like to make friends her own age. Her father takes her to Kindergarten on Earth, and at first fitting in isn't easy. When she shares her love of Asgard with her class, though, she connects with the other kids for a happy ending.

The illustrations are adorable, and the concept is fresh and fun. Edda is awesome!
SA
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, kidlit
So adorable -- both a fun way to introduce a child to Norse Mythology and, in a completely different direction, engage with a child about to go to school for the first time.
Monica Edinger
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
From a first-week-of-school read-aloud blog post:

This distinctly amusing twist on the "being at a new school" trope was a big hit last year so it is top on my list to use again this year. Edda lives on Asgard, one of the homes to the Viking gods and when her father decides she needs some experience with other kids her age (there being none on Asgard), he sends her to school on Earth. The result is a gently humorous look at Edda learning how to bring her own self into a new and very different pla
Barbara
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Clever and original, this picture book is perfect for kids starting school. Straightforward text paired with hilarious illustrations reveal the challenges and joys of this universal experience…while also introducing young readers to the fantastic world of the Valkyrie complete with dragons, unicorns, and more.
Jean
Sweet story about a little Viking girl who just wants a friend her own age. She lives in a magical land with lots of freedom. School is hard and has certain rules. She learns that she can be brave and learn, but also she can teach her new friends about herself and her family.
Ellen
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Adorable; but most fun if you're familiar with Norse mythology. The depiction of being the lonely newcomer, proudly sharing your unique heritage, and appreciating those who are different is certainly universal though. ...more
BC Batcheshire
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This little book is adorable! A story about an independent child adjusting to structure and tasks in a classroom.
The illustrations and tale definitely elevate this children's book to a modern classic.
Megan Frangia
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 340-bookshelf
Picture Book

This book is about a little Valkyrie who decides to come to school on Earth. It was nice, but not spectacular. Could be good for talking about new beginnings and discussing what things helped Edda feel comfortable when she tried new things.
Jen Wills
So cute.
Amber
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this idea the moment I read about it - and reading the book did not disappoint! The little Valkyrie's first day at a normal elementary school is rife with culture clashes and disappointments - but a writing assignment allows her to merge her two worlds and gain even more friends, as well as empowering others. Any fans of Norse mythology will delight in the little details of this book, like the Odinesque eyepatch on Edda's father, the enormous feasting hall, and and the sisterhood of band ...more
Kris
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The idea here (Little Valkyrie Edda leaves her home on Asgard to go to school on earth) is adorable. The execution is okay-ish. The art is all right, the story is fine, and overall, that makes this disappointing. Also, the culmination of Edda’s desire to make friends is completely unrealistic to anyone who is a decent parent or would be.
Stacie
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Edda the Valkyrie has a tough time fitting into the traditional educational setting after growing up in Asgard. Sounds like a Waldorf School might be a better fit for this out-of-the-heavens student.
Lara
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a fun take on first-day-of-school jitters. It's not a classic, but still really enjoyable, as a brave little Valkyrie faces her first day. For a storytime, it'd be fun to use for a school theme, or in a program with a mythology theme. ...more
Victoria Moon
I think this book would make a good read aloud because this book talks about differences. Sometimes differences are be seen as bad instead of good. I like this book because Edda is able to share more about her home to the people at her school and they really like it. This book embraces differences.
Kimberly
Love the concept, but the execution felt lacking to me.
Garrett
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: story-time
Did that mother at the end just let her child fly away with a stranger on an eight-legged horse? BETTER PARENTING, PEOPLE.
Jennifer Hartman
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet story. I highly recommend reading this to any child for their first day of school.
Jadyn Palosaari
This book is very cute and can be very useful to read at the beginning of the school year or when you a new student so that they can have their fears and nervousness validated. This also can teacher students that we all come different places and it is cool to learn about others past homes and lives. Genre: Fantasy Year: 2014
Arminzerella
Edda is the littlest Valkyrie in Asgard. When she tells her Papa that she’d like to meet kids her own age, he takes her to school down on Earth. School is pretty different from Asgard, and Edda has some trouble adjusting to it. Just when she’s thinking maybe she won’t go back, the class is given a writing assignment. Edda writes a story about Asgard and her classmates LOVE it. Soon Edda has lots of friends. When she returns home and tells the creatures of Asgard about school, and they’re fascina ...more
Barbara
Although she loves life in Asgard, Edda longs for a friend her own age. Her father takes the little Valkyrie to school on Earth. School is hard, and at first, no one notices her and she finds it difficult to follow all the rules and regulations. After writing and sharing a story about her home, she becomes popular. Having friends makes school not so bad, and the next day she returns with another new classmate. I liked how confident Edda looks on the second day of class and enjoyed having a diffe ...more
Sharon Lawler
Creative view of the first day of school as experienced by Edda, a little Valkyrie. As the littlest of the Valkyries living in Asgard, Edda is lonely, so her father flies her to earth to attend school. Her dad assures her en small Valkyries are very brave. Things are very different at school, so Edda's bravery is tested during that first day. Author Adam Auerbach created the story while listening to Richard Wagner's Ring Cycle operas, which are based on Norse mythology. Illustrations are rendere ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Littlest Viking
  • Hair Love
  • Vincent Paints His House
  • Here Comes Teacher Cat
  • Give Me Back My Book!: (Funny Books for Kids, Silly Picture Books, Children's Books about Friendship)
  • Lost Little Bunny
  • Baby Piggy and the Thunderstorm
  • The Witch's Face: A Mexican Tale
  • Xenon, Vol. 2: Heavy Metal Warrior
  • The Wonder Weeks: A Stress-Free Guide to Your Baby's Behavior (6th Edition)
  • Frau Holle
  • The Snail and the Whale
  • How Do Dinosaurs Stay Safe?
  • I'll Wait, Mr. Panda
  • Cece Loves Science
  • The Best Christmas Ever
  • How Do Dinosaurs Stay Friends?
  • If I Had a Dragon