Start by marking “The Body in the Woods (Point Last Seen, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Body in the Woods (Point Last Seen, #1)

The Body in the Woods

(Point Last Seen #1)

In this new series told from multiple perspectives, teen members of a search and rescue team discover a dead body in the woods.

Alexis, Nick, and Ruby have very different backgrounds: Alexis has spent her life covering for her mom’s mental illness, Nick’s bravado hides his fear of not being good enough, and Ruby just wants to pursue her eccentric interests in a world that d
Published June 17th 2014 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Body in the Woods, please sign up.
Katie My favorite character is Ruby, because she is smart and funny.

Emily May
Jan 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry but I could not finish this boring-ass book.

I feel like I should have seen this coming - I mean, the cover designers put green eye shadow on a dead body. That should have been a warning sign, right? Like when those dystopian "heroines" appear on the front cover in long, flowing ballgowns and try to convince me with their pouts that this is a serious book about real, life-threatening things, and definitely NOT all about that hot dude and his smoochable lips. If it's the end of the world
Sana
Feb 07, 2017 marked it as d-n-f
DNF @pg 10 oops.

I really enjoyed her book The Night She Disappeared and I was hoping this would be as awesome, but sadly I can't get myself to turn another page. I pick this book up, read a few paragraphs and then put it down again. Clearly, I don't want to read it so I'm dnfing it. There's just something about the writing style if this book and I simply don't like it.

I'm not going to rate it bc I've only read ten pages.
Summer
May 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, mystery, dnf
Thank you Henry Holt for sending me an Advanced Readers Copy of this book, which did not affect my review in any way.

I don't know why this is labeled a "thriller" when it definitely was not a thrill to read.

description

The above statement is the reason I was unable to complete this long-winded novel. One could argue that this isn't really my genre - well, not my favorite genre - so it's to be expected that it wouldn't hold my attention for very long. But sub-genres aside, The Body in the Woods fails in aspe
Dana
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it

I know she didn't do it. It's never the person you most suspect. It's also never the person you least suspect, since anyone with half a brain would suspect them the most. Therefore, I know the killer to be Phyllis, a.k.a. Beatrix Bourbon, the person I most medium suspect. - Dwight Schrute

This is Nancy Drew for teens. The pacing was great and the plot (if a little predictable) kept me engaged. I really liked Ruby, but found her friends to be needless distractions. Alexis was whiney and annoying
AH
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoyed The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
Initial Thoughts: This was a quick read for me. The story revolves around three teenage volunteers in Portland's Search and Rescue. On a routine search for a missing man, the teens come across a body in the woods. The chapters about the murderer were very creepy - he was one disturbed individual. I was able to guess who the killer was about halfway through the book which was a little disappointing for me. I like when authors keep me guessing. I enjoyed the story, although my review copy containe ...more
Karessa A.
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was okay. It was too slow for me. It had some interesting and exciting events but had too many details. I wish it was less drawn out and more eventful. Overall though it was a good book.
Red_Queen_Lover
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Way better than I thought it would be. I honestly didn't have an idea who the killer was until the second part of the book...... Give it a chance guys- it's a really good read even if it's shorter than what I usually read.
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
3.5 Stars... it was interesting, but not memorable

Ruby, Alexis, and Nick are all high school students and new members of Portland's SAR... that's Search and Rescue. Ruby is awkward, not sure of social cues, not sure how to make friends. She joined SAR because she loves watching true-crime and studying detective work. Alexis is desparately trying to make everything on the surface appear okay. She doesn't want people to get close to her for fear they will learn how bad things are at home. Her mom
Abbie
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
One dead body. Two. Then three. This was no accident. A serial killer is on the lose. But the question is, who's next?

I absolutely love murder mysteries! It's just so exciting to read. This book was told through several different perspectives, and I got to know each of the main characters.

Alexis was the emotional one among the three. She had to deal with her mom's mental illness. But at least she had Bran. Nick was the meek one. He had a vivid imagination but low self-esteem. And then there's R
Gisbelle
description
Provided by the Publisher via NetGalley

This book was a really well-written mystery told from multiple point of view. The fact that each main characters - Nick, Ruby and Alexis - were such different in term of personalities and frame of mind made reading this a fun experience for me.

The storyline held my attention since the beginning of the book. Maybe it was because I've always enjoyed reading books about serial killers and guessing the murderers. It was sad to say, though, that this book was a
Cats of Ulthar March of Shoggoths
Gripping and suspenseful thriller focusing on the mostly-adolescent Portland (OR) Search and Rescue Team. One doesn't have to be an adult nor a seasoned homicide detective to stumble upon a corpse, nor to endanger one's own life following clues to untangle a mystery.
Brittany
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book, to me, is above and beyond the others by Henry. It's layered, has very distinct and flushed characters, and has more twists and unlikely turns than some of her other mystery thrillers for teens. As an adult, I appreciated the complexity and I know my students will enjoy this book.
Leilani
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jenni Arndt
Jan 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc-ebook
The Body In The Woods is a fast paced thriller that is able to pass off as enjoyable if you suspend logic and just go along for the ride. But, when you sit down and really think about the details there is so much that is unbelievable that I can’t really recommend it to fellow readers.

In this novel we get the three main perspectives of Ruby, Alexis and Nick but we also get a few random chapters that are told from the ominous perspective of the killer himself. As far as the 3 kids go, I can’t say
Kristen
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it
This and other reviews are on my blog My Friends Are Fiction

An arc of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Story:
The Body in the Woods was overall a fun, fast and easy read. It was interesting enough to keep me reading though the mystery side of it wasn’t as difficult to figure out as I would have liked. Henry’s writing style was absorbing and kept me flipping the pages but I almost think this would have worked better as a middle grade book.

Where this sto
Jayne  Downes
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a book in a crime series about three teens who belong to an search and rescue unit that looks for missing people. On one of their searches they find a dead girl in the woods and so they set out to find her killer. I liked the way this book is aimed at young adults; there is no sexual or graphic content which means it is suitable for younger readers who like this genre. An easy read with short chapters; USA setting. Not a deep and meaningful read but ok..
Alexis
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This books theme in this book is courage all throughout this book the three main characters do thing they would never do. They also become closer as friends.
Nancy
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Three Search and Rescue Teenagers Encounter a Serial Killer

Alexis, Ruby and Nick joined Portland Search and Rescue (SAR) looking for a way to belong. Alexis wants an extra curricular activity to help her get into college. Nick wants to be a hero like his father. Ruby is incredibly bright, interested in crime and forensics, and wants a way to use her intelligence. Each is in some way is a misfit.

On their first real mission, searching of an autistic man who has wandered into the woods, they find
Jillian Neyhart
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this murder mystery. Although I did guess who the killer was halfway through, the story was well-written and the characters were dynamic.
Giselle
An Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review. Quotes pulled from the ARC may be incorrect and may be subject to change.

I'm usually not a big murder mystery fan but this one had a title that I couldn't pass up. The body in the woods is a simple and straightforward murder mystery. We follow three main characters who are the main protagonists. Each one has a distinct personality and all have different strengths and weaknesses. They all come together to solve who has been murderi
Catey
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
It's not much fun re-reading mysteries when you already know the outcome, but I wanted to reintroduce myself to the characters before starting the sequel, Blood Will Tell. Like last time, I enjoyed the author's writing style and learning more about Search and Rescue, but I thought the story was a little predictable. I'm all for a quick read, but I also found that certain parts of the book were rushed, especially the development of friendships/relationships between characters. Overall, though, I ...more
Olivia
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This book is one of the best mysteries that I have read. I think that if you need to read a mystery book this one is a must read. Let me just say that the ending was a shocker. I did NOT expect it!
Roxanne
I'm not sure why I didn't like this book more than I did. I remember almost giving up on reading it near the very beginning - I thought the writing seemed too simplistic and the plot unrealistic. The reason I decided to continue was actually because of one of the main characters, Ruby. Even though the author didn't come out and say so, I think Ruby has Asperger's, and I'm always intrigued with characters like her because they remind me of my son.
Jennifer Mangler
I was a bit underwhelmed by this book. It's not that I didn't enjoy reading it, because I did, but the whole was definitely not more than the sum of its parts. It's hard to explain. I enjoyed parts of the book immensely - especially Ruby's POV chapters - but the book never really came together for me.
Melanie
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
A fun mystery! I really liked the main characters -- they were a great group of friends.

The murder mystery was interesting and definitely creepy at times. I liked the ending and plan on continuing the series. :)

*I received a complimentary eBook copy for my honest review. As always, all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*
Amy ~Lover of Books~
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, arc, 2014
Thanks to Macmillian and NetGalley in advance for allowing me to read this book!

I've always loved to read a good mystery now and then! This book had enough of those elements to make it a good mystery book. My interest was held throughout reading this book. I liked how the story unfolded and how the three teenagers saved the day. Overall, this was a very enjoyable read!
Justin Maupin
The main characters are Alexis, Nick, and Ruby. Its about these kids and they are trying to help their sheriff department to find a autistic man lost in the woods. But instead they find a dead man. I think guess that they will have a good life after they solve the mystery.
Kristen
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
A fast-moving who-done-it...great for reluctant readers. Lots of clues to follow and twists and turns to maneuver. The last few chapters are full of suspense, and a satisfying ending rounds things out.
Giteeka
It has been a long time since I have read mystery stories, and now I realize how much I missed the excitement you get while reading mysteries. I really liked this book because I had no clue who the murderer was so I wanted to know so bad that I had to keep reading.
Whitney Smith
Not for me personally, maybe it's because all I read are murder books but...
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • On the Road to Find Out
  • Grandmaster
  • Coin Heist
  • The Last Clinic (Darla Cavannah Mysteries, #1)
  • Also Known as Elvis (The Misfits, #4)
  • Vivian Divine Is Dead
  • Caged Warrior
  • Evidence of Things Not Seen
  • First Shot
  • The Girl in the Park
I write mysteries and thrillers. I live in Portland, Oregon with my family.

If you've read one of my books, I would love to hear from you. Hearing from readers makes me eager to keep writing.

When I was 12, I sent a short story about a six-foot tall frog who loved peanut butter to Roald Dahl, the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He liked it so much he arranged to have it published in an

Point Last Seen (2 books)
  • Blood Will Tell (Point Last Seen, #2)
“Who (people from her other life) didn't know how much work it could be to make people think you you were normal.” 0 likes