Start by marking “Little Boo” as Want to Read:
Little Boo

Little Boo

The leaves fall, the wind blows, and one little pumpkin seed tries and tries to be scary. But he doesn't scare anyone . . . not the snowflakes in winter, not the bees in spring, not even the watering can!

The wind tells him to be patient—he'll be scary soon enough. But waiting is hard. Will the little seed ever be really, truly scary?

This simple story is more than a fun Hal
Published August 12th 2014 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Little Boo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Boo

Start your review of Little Boo
Candace
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little pumpkin seed wants to be scary. The leaf, grub, and snowflakes all tell the little seed (Little Boo) he is not scary. The wind tells Little Boo, "Not yet. Be patient. You'll be scary soon enough." But Little Boo wants to be scary now.

The seasons change and Little Boo becomes a green sprout reaching for the sun. He tries to scare an old boot, a shovel and a watering can. They are all silent. The wind comes by for a visit. "Boo," said the little plant. "Not today," said the wind. "But s
Set
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween
This is a cute story about a pumpkin seed that wanted to be scary but he was still a seed and had a way to go before becoming a big scary Jack O' Lantern. The drawings are soft and fluffy with an autumn feeling.
Jocelin
A cute little story about a pumpkin seed that wants more than anything to be scary. This is a great book to read during the Halloween season at story time. The story teaches little ones that it takes time to "grow up", in this case turn into a pumpkin. Cute and the illustrations are really good but, they are not that scary.
Carole P. Roman
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delightful story about a seed who is desperate to be scary. The wind advises the little seed to grow, and have patience. Soon enough, Little Boo turns into a Jack o Lantern and his dream is fulfilled. Great kid friendly celebration of the fall. Lovely illustrations. We enjoyed the build up to an age appropriate "scary " moment. My grandson loved it.
Adrith Bicchieri
I loved this book - a little pumpkin seed who can't scare anyone grows up to be a glorious jack o'lantern for Halloween.

A selection for next year's Halloween storytime at the library!
Ben Truong
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Little Boo is a children's picture book written by Stephen Wunderli and illustrated by Tim Zeltner. It stars Little Boo, a pumpkin seed, from the moment of planting, a little seed wishes for the ability to be truly frightening. Today is Halloween (31 October) and I thought it would be apropos to read this book.

Wunderli's text is simplistic and straightforward. Wunderli's tender story offers a lyrical take on the holiday, entwined with an impatience to grow up that many young readers will easily
Melanie
A tiny pumpkin seed has aspirations of being frightning but finds that no one is afraid of their "boos". Finally the wind tells the little seed to have patience; his time will come. Readers will watch the little seed grow to a vine, a flower, a round squash and finally a pumpkin. That's not the end of the journey. Just wait...

Delightful story and beautiful story! Highly recommended for storytime.
Mama Bibliosoph
Little Boo is about a pumpkin seed who wants to be scary. He tries saying "Boo!" but everyone (leaves, grubs, snowflakes) tell him that he's not scary. Seasons pass and eventually he is planted and grows into a plant. Then he grows orange flowers, green fruit, and finally a large orange pumpkin. In the end, of course, he is a Jack O'Lantern and fulfills his dreams.

There are so many wonderful things about this story to love. Little Boo is wonderfully repetitive, explores the lifecycle of a pumpki
Hannah
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the illustrations and the story is really cute!
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Wunderli, Stephen. Little Boo, PICTURE BOOK. Henry Holt and Company, 2014. $16.99.

A little seed wants to be scary and tries to “boo” at everything he meets. He’s just not big enough yet and the wind tells him to settle down, tucks him into a bed of soil, and the seed takes a long, long nap. When he awakes, he reaches for the sun and grows big enough to try to scare again. After growing and growing the seed finally becomes a pumpkin and eventually, a jack o’ lantern who can scare just about anyo
Elley Murray
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My three-year old loves this book, and says many of the lines with me, especially "BOO! said the sprout to the watering can!" It's about a pumpkin seed who wants to be scary, and keeps saying "Boo" to everyone and everything until eventually (spoilers!) growing to become a pumpkin that is carved into a jack o'lantern, and FINALLY achieving his life-long dream of being scary. It's really cute, and the illustrations are adorable. It's the perfect length for a bedtime story - not so short my toddle ...more
Sterling Colvin
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a story about a little seed who wanted to be able to scare people, but was too small. It tells about his journey as he grows and then you find out if he is able to eventually scare something/someone. There are small amounts of words on each page that definitely tell the main points of the story, but the illustrations are what really puts the story together. The illustrations have all sorts of colors that show the setting and different seasons taking place. The illustrations also really ...more
Gina
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gift-ideas
If I'm made to shelve children's books at work, I'm obvs gonna have to read some that catch my eye! Because of course I am. I felt that I identified with the titular Little Boo (the seed) very much. I myself and very smol and spooky and long to be scary year round. Boo. Boo. Boo I say to the snowflakes (just like the seed, and just like in the book they are unimpressed.) Can I say boo now? I ask the wind (just like the seed, and yet no...the time has not come.) Each night, just like the little s ...more
Heidi-Marie
Needed a Halloween book for Movement storytime and forgot to set one aside. Grabbed this from our display. Though a little longer than I usually do in our younger Movement crowd, it was still perfect! So cute and even a good lesson about patience and waiting. Adorable pictures. Lots of smiles from kids and adults, especially as adults knew what kind of seed it was but the kids didn't.
Nicole
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I really love the illustrations by Zeltner in this book. I also love the plot of a little seed who can't wait to scare, but has to be patient and wait for his time. It's super cute, but I think that the wording and plot may be for more of a preschool -school age readers. However, it's a great book for this time of year and great for those who are learning about growing their own pumpkins!!
Lara
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Little Boo is a cutie! Nice big, clear pictures and a simple and sweet story. I've read this for a few storytimes, and there's plenty of chances for audience participation with all the boos and whoosing winds. The kids had a great time helping Boo be scary! A good read for storytimes on fall, seasons, plants, growing up, or Halloween.
Amanda
This story about a little pumpkin seed who can't to be big and scary. He keeps trying to scare things but nothing is scared and the wind tells him to wait. Finally it comes his time to shine as a new jack -o-lantern and he loves it. Teaches about patience and the growing and life cycle of a pumpkin.
Justine Liddle
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is a cute little book about having patience. A little seed wants to scare things, but he isn't scary. The wind tells the seed not yet. The seed grows into a sprout, then vine, then a pumpkin. The pumpkin in then picked and is carved into a jack-o-lantern that then scares goblins.
Melissia Bruehl - Books and Sassy Lilacs
This book was a hit with both the girls.  A cute story starting with a pumpkin seed who wants to be scary, shouting boo at various different creatures and items.  The wind tells it to wait, he will be scary soon enough, as we follow the seed as it grows into a pumpkin and then a jack-o-lantern.
Mary
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Little Boo wants to be frightening. But first he must grow into a pumpkin and be made into a jack-o-lantern. This simple book with charming illustrations shows the life cycle of a pumpkin plant from the point of view of an anthropomorphic seed.
Jennifer Graham
The tale of a pumpkin seed who wants to be scary. Cute art and clear prose; this is generally marked as a Halloween book, but it is also a great add if you want to learn about nature, gardens, or growth in general.
Elvira
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Lovely illustrations and a different take on a Halloween story about a seed becoming a Jaco-o-lantern. The story doesn't flow as well in some points and maybe a bit long for toddlers.
kim
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, picture, 2017
I had the board book version, but the story is better for a slightly older crowd. it was "okay"
Kathy
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute book with darling illustrations!
Jen
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute little story of a seed wanting to grow up into a pumpkin.
Yasmeena
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So cute!
Becky Savoie
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super cute! Baby loves when I read the parts with the wind!
Molly Cluff (Library!)
A little seed wants to be scary! It grows up to be a jack o lantern and gets its wish
Darinda
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A pumpkin seed wants to be scary, but he must wait patiently for the following Fall. A cute story about having to wait to grow up. Wonderful illustrations.
Amy
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a super cute book about a pumpkin seed!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
  • Shivery Shades of Halloween
  • The Scarecrow
  • Stumpkin
  • The Halloween Tree
  • Pumpkin Jack
  • The Hallo-Weiner
  • Penguin and Pumpkin (Penguin)
  • Room on the Broom
  • Apples and Pumpkins
  • The Pomegranate Witch
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • In the Middle of Fall
STEPHEN WUNDERLI, author of The Blue Between the Clouds and The Heartbeat of Halftime, lives in Salt Lake City, Utah, with his wife and four children.

News & Interviews