Start by marking “One Way Fare (Null City, #1)” as Want to Read:
One Way Fare (Null City, #1)

Read Excerpt

One Way Fare (Null City, #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  36 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Superpowers suck. If you just want to live a normal life, Null City is only a Metro ride away. After one day there, imps become baristas, and hellhounds become poodles. Demons settle down, become parents, join the PTA, and worry about their taxes.

Null City is the only sanctuary for Gaby Parker and Leila Rice, two young women confronting cataclysmic forces waging an unseen
ebook
Published September 5th 2013 by Hartwood Publishing (first published September 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about One Way Fare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Way Fare

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of One Way Fare (Null City, #1)
So, I Read This Book Today
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Suppose neutral angels were able to talk Yahweh and Lucifer – God and Satan, to use their popular titles – into settling out of court. What would be the terms of the compromise? Specifically, how would they divide the assets of their early kingdom?” – Tom Robbins, Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates (2000)

I really only picked up the book as it was advertised on one of my “Free Today” book emails. You know the ones, and if you don’t, why not? So anyway, there it was, and the cover caught my e
S.K. Nicholls
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Barb Taub has a way of making you laugh out loud even when she’s not trying to be funny…oh, I don’t know, maybe she is trying, but it comes across so very casually that it sneaks up on you and grabs you in the ribs. I mean what would life be like in Hell if you couldn’t order a Grande Caramel Macchiato, right?

“One Way Fare: Null City Book One” is a contemporary fantasy and it is fantastic. The author’s humor and wit come out in both the character dialogue and the narration. The plot is clever, a
Deborah
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
There was so much to like about this book I really, really wanted to be wowed by it as much as all the other reviewers, but there were just too many blips for me. Let me explain.
This book has a cracking good start – as a character, Gaby bounces off the page. Her Gift, or harmonia, is that of order – absolutely perfect for an accountant. Her boundless enthusiasm for her profession defies all that we – normal people, that is – assume about accountants. And she gets to work for a wickedly handsome
Juliet Waldron
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I knew the author of this funny, intricate fantasy must have a younger, hip co-author, and so Ms. Taub does--her daughter, who is fluent in current media and the funny, flip lingo of her generation. The heroines, Gaby and Leila, aren’t ordinary people. Each has a special gift and a pivotal connection to the fate of the universe. They don’t know each other at the beginning, but they soon realize they are in danger. Accompanied by handsome fellows who share their gifts/superpowers—from (perhaps!)
Rosie Amber
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One Way Fare is an Urban Fantasy story and I really didn't know what to expect from just the book cover and even the book description, but it blew me away. I really, really enjoyed it. There are delightful sharp witted characters and a storyline with echoes of "Back To The Future" but with so much more depth, twists and it's own agenda.

The tale involves a war between the Fallen and Angels, humans and a fourth group who hold powers. There is Null City and a marvellous Metro train which takes pass
Lynn Crain
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
One Way Fare is the first book in a series by Barb Taub and Hannah Taub. It is the story of two young women, Gaby and Leia, from different times, who come together to confront the war that is being waged between Heaven and Hell. It is about a place where the bad guys such as imps, hellhounds and demons settle down to worry about the daily drudgery of life.

That sanctuary is a place called Null City, a city unlike any other. To live there one must forsake all their powers gained by their birth.

To
Linda
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One Way Fare by Barb Tarb and Hannah Taub a fast-paced fantasy involving several timelines and two kickass heroines, Gaby and Leila. The main characters in this delightful novel are humans with superpowers that manifest they grow to adulthood. They belong to factions who are warring with each other, putting the fate of the world at risk. To further complicate matters, each side is supported by a cadre of supernatural characters who are angels of some variety (or are they demons)?

Somewhere in Sea
Tamera McIntosh
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it

One Way Fare is the first book in a series by Barb Taub and Hannah Taub. It's a fast-paced fantasy involving several timelines and two heroines, Gaby and Leila, who come together to confront the war that is being waged between Heaven and Hell.

Gaby is an accountant, who at first glance appears to Have OCD about everything! As it turns out Gaby is harmonia, gifted with the ability to see patterns in just about anything.

She lives in 1972 Seattle with her younger brother and sister after the death
Kristy McCaffrey
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
With an intriguing premise--a war between Heaven and Hell, and protagonists that not only time travel but also dimension travel--this story will keep you turning the pages to see what happens next. Gaby is a harmonia, gifted with the ability to see patterns in just about anything (so she becomes an accountant--one of the many humorous pokes in the book). She lives in 1972 Seattle with her younger brother and sister after the death of their parents. Leila's story picks up in France in 2012. Livin ...more
Cathy Ryan
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an amazing story of fantasy, time and dimension travel and strong heroines with superpowers.
Gaby Parker lives with her younger twin brother and sister, who she is looking after and taking care of after the murder of their parents, in 1970’s Seattle. She is a Harmonia, which gives her the ability to see patterns in mostly everything…
Leila Rice, living with her adoptive parents, unaware she is a Nephilim, born of the union between a human and an angel. In 2012 she travels to France to clai
Kerryn Reid
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Strong writing, two strong female leads, and a unique world make for a solid read. If I could give it another half-star, I would.

I'm sure a part of my problem with One Way Fare was due to the piecemeal nature of my reading schedule -- 15 minutes at a time is NOT the way to read a book, and I've tried to look past that. More important, it got too paranormal for my taste. Really enjoyed the first few chapters, when it was clear it WAS paranormal but hadn't yet descended deeply into its singular pa
Jessie Stevens
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Who needs Santa when you’ve got a sister-in-law to fill your stocking with books like this?

Would I recommend it?
We are watching my year old nephew this week and I’ve been jumping up and down volunteering to put him down for naps and bedtime. He snuggles into my chest, I pop open the book, and by the time I’m ready to stop reading and put him down he is soundly asleep.

Check out my review of the Null City books by Barb Taub if you haven’t yet. The sale on her novellas lasts for a few more days ye
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

This is either the weirdest story ever or the most brilliant. It will stick with a reader for days trying to decide, and the fact alone makes it absolutely brilliant.

Read full review in the 2014 August issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Susan Commeford
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
An unusual story

An unusual story

This was a really engaging story told from two different viewpoints. While I am not a fan of switching between main characters, the story was intriguing and keep me hooked.
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Mandy W.

Read the review here.
Mandy
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Hmmm, 3ish/5?

Read my full review on Forever Young Adult.
Georgia Rose
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When Gaby Parker goes to sort out the accounting anomalies for Luic little does either of them know that they are being brought together for a much higher purpose. Gaby is a Harmonia, she loves order, sees patterns and has responsibilities in the form of her younger brother and sister as their parents are dead. Luic is a rock star, I imagined something along the lines of Steve Tyler! But so strong are Gaby’s gifts that she says of Luic, “Sure he was pretty - but this was accounting.’ Brilliant!

L
Crystin McDaniel
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Title: One Way Fare by Barb Taub and Hannah Taub
Genre: Paranormal Fantasy

What do you get when you have a demon, a half-angel, an accountant with superpowers, and a rock star? A group destined to save the world, apparently.

When the fate of a magical city that allows those with special gifts to live a normal life is threatened, Gaby, Luic, Thomas, and Leila must find a way to save the city and keep history intact. It may be harder than they thought – the angels aren’t necessarily on their side.

One
Ani Gonzalez
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing

This book is a roaring time-travel adventure with trains, angels, arson, humor, romance and lots of action and explosives. It's fantastic. It's as if Neil Gaimain, Georgette Heyer, and Dr. Who had a train obsessed baby. I loved it!

Gaby Parker and Leila Rice are stark opposites. Gaby is an analytical nurturer, working as a temp accountant while raising her siblings. Leila is a spoiled rich girl who just inherited a French castle. But they have two things in common, mysterious powers and deadly en
Barb Taub
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Review from Mary Rosenblum, best-selling author and instructor at the prestigious Clarion West Writers Workshop.

Mary says, "This is such a fine book, with strong and compelling characters, a rocketing pace, and a fun and fully invented world where heaven meets earth and earth sometimes beats out heaven! It’s well worth the read."
Melinda Taub
Nov 22, 2013
Aqp
Jan 17, 2014
Lori Ragus-spallina
rated it did not like it
Mar 31, 2016
May 15, 2017
♥ Joy Joy ♥
rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2018
In halcyon days BC (before children), Barb Taub wrote a humor column for several Midwest newspapers. With the arrival of Child #4, she veered toward the dark side and an HR career. Following a daring daytime escape to England, she's lived in a medieval castle and a hobbit house with her prince-of-a-guy and the World’s Most Spoiled AussieDog. Now all her days are Saturdays, and she spends them cons ...more

News & Interviews