Start by marking “Key West, Tequila, a Pinch of Salt and a Quirky Slice of America” as Want to Read:
Key West, Tequila, a Pinch of Salt and a Quirky Slice of America

Key West, Tequila, a Pinch of Salt and a Quirky Slice of America

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  245 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
What would you do if you were on holiday and your better half said ‘Let’s not go back’?
Would you stay?
Would you stay if staying meant giving up everything back home in the UK to live on the backwater island of Key West, Florida?
Come with me to this oddball, bacchanalian corner of the world where anything goes, the closest major city is Havana and where my wife and I lead a
ebook
Published (first published February 17th 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about Key West, Tequila, a Pinch of Salt and a Quirky Slice of America

Peggy
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My husband and I go to KW every year for a break when we just can't stand the winter "up north" any more... and every year we wish we could pitch it all and stay there in paradise. This book describes the adventures of a brave couple with more courage than we have - they really did it. It was better than a travel guide for learning about some of KW's fantastic real-life characters and locals' haunts. We just got back from our trip this year, and saw KW in a whole new light, and we even met Popco ...more
Regina
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel reads partly like a travel guide disguised as an escape-the-daily-grind island adventure novel, and partly like a detailed Key West history book. It brings back vivid memories for those of us who have traveled to this magical place, and incites a deep desire to flee the "real world" for a rum-drenched life by the sea. When a couple travels from the UK to the Keys on holiday, there seems no better way to make the memories last forever than to simply stay! The year-long depiction expose ...more
Allison
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun! As someone who goes to KW yearly and has often though about what it would be like to just not come back- I could live out this little fantasy via this book:)
Dani
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fun escape, just like what the author was trying to accomplish in his real life adventure in Key West. Part of the fun for me, of course, was reading about places I have been. It's a fairly easy, breezy read, most of it light-hearted and conversational. The author and his wife get through any of their trials with creativity, humor and a liberal sprinkling of alcohol. Oh, just read it and have fun!
Deanna
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, quick read with a little adventure, a little history and some intriguing Key West characters. I'm happy that I already have a return trip to scheduled, or I might be busy making travel plans right now. I did have a little trouble with some of the lingo (author is from the UK), but that didn't keep me from enjoying the book.
Mary Kruft
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

GREAT to read before your first Key West trip.....and I even met "popcorn joe!" Great story ( except for the British slang I didn't get) about two who take the chance to leave it all behind & chase a dream!
Philip
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this book. I like Key West and I liked this book. Humorous and tells about an aspect of the island we tourists don't know about. I recommend it.
Jenn
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read that kept me entertained start to finish.
Judy
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So glad I read this right before another key west visit. The descriptions made me remember all the wonderful things I love about key west
Nicole
Mar 12, 2013 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun read! Love the humor!
Scott Kennedy
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Unfortunate that this well written amusing book has at the beginning a lonely one star rating...it's so much better even though it does read a bit to much like a travelogue.
Deanna
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read before we make our way there in 2 days!
Gail Kenney
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parrotheads
I am not sure what to say about Key West. I like it, mostly, because, having been to KW several times, I enjoyed revisiting the places mentioned through the eyes of the author. In some ways, his writing is "too cute" as if he is trying to hard to be humorous. I am not sure I would recommend this book to another, yet, oddly, I find I want to read his book about Europe. So, if an author's goal is to make the reader want to read more of his work, then Breakfield is successful.
Nicole
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book on my Kindle since it was on sale, and I'm headed to Key West for the first time next week. Not impressed with the book at all. But it did however get me a bit more excited for my trip just reading about the sunny scape!
Carston WAgner
Jan 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Amateurish writing.

Poorly written with implausible anecdotes! We spend lots of time in Key West and very little of this book rings true. Couldn't finish it! I want my $3.95 back.
Bruce W Werts
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable!

First I read "Key West II". I enjoyed it so much I had to read "Key West". I was not disappointed. It is a great pair of books. Hope the third of the trilogy is forthcoming.
Shahida Rahman
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely fantastic read. Who would dare to give up their home for an adventure? That's exactly what Jon and Gabrielle did. A daring and an exciting adventure that's compelling, hilarious and educational! Most highly recommended.
Maria
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been to most is the places discussed in this book, so it was pretty accurate! I would love to do whY this couple did and just let go of everything familiar and move to and island! I thought the book was pretty good. The writing wasn't the greatest but the story was good.
Molly
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an enjoyable light read. The author and his wife spend a year in Key West living the life of locals. I found it completely amazing that the author and his wife made it through the year without disagreeing, arguing or being at each other's throats!
Renee
May 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Light amusing but many things seemed "cliched".
Debra Wood
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a fun quick read.
Mara
Read this in preparation for my trip to Key West. Don't know if it was the best introduction to Key West as it is a bit biased but a fun way to get to know this quirky town a little better.
Mike Henshaw
very interesting a good insite to a raer piece of america
Suzanne Huier
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, true story. A couple from the UK decides to live in Key West for one year. What it's really like to live there with the locals.
Shirley
Light and amusing if you have been to Key West.
Belinda Angell
Mar 26, 2016
  • Hawk Channel Chase
  • Mousetrapped
  • Undying Love: The True Story Of A Passion That Defied Death
  • Virgin Heat (Key West, #5)
  • Bones of Coral
  • Reconstructing Jackson (Prairie Romance, #2)
  • In the Shadow of the Volcano: One Ex-Intelligence Official's Journey through Slums, Prisons, and Leper Colonies to the Heart of Latin America
  • Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present
  • The Storm Killer
  • Crossing the Heart of Africa: An Odyssey of Love and Adventure
  • I'm Gonna Live my Life Like a Jimmy Buffett Song
Jon Breakfield was born in Virginia. He graduated from UCLA's prestigious Film School. Despite having survived the odd hurricane, he and his wife still love Key West and divide their time between Florida and Glasgow, Scotland. Jon is a former T.V. writer, the author of three Non-Fiction books and two crime thrillers.
If he weren't a writer his only other career choice would have been that of intern