Start by marking “A Very Scandalous Holiday” as Want to Read:
A Very Scandalous Holiday

A Very Scandalous Holiday (Men Of Fortune #1)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Entangled Publishing presents…A Very Scandalous Holiday Anthology. Four very spirited vignettes of holidays past.

Erin’s Gift by Nancy Fraser

Chicago 1920

Widower, Seth Harrison, has no intention of falling in love again but will he be able to resist the sweetness of his son’s nanny, Erin O’Mara—his sister’s best friend?

An Eternity of You by Sophia Garrett

England 1833

The Duke
Published October 14th 2013 by Entangled: Scandalous

To ask other readers questions about A Very Scandalous Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Very Scandalous Holiday

Farrah
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
A sweet, lovely historical romance holiday anthology. A Very Scandalous Holiday was a lovely collection of holiday romances. I really enjoyed reading them all.

"Erin's Gift" was a very sweet story. Erin was a likable heroine who was genuinely nice. Seth was a sweet hero who didn't want to fall in love, but fell anyway. The romance was sweet, with a touch of spice and the story was lovely.

"An Eternity of You" was a reunion between two lovers. Or, kind of. Rebecca was a strong heroine who went thr
Sofia Lazaridou
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book much more than I originally expected to. Even though all of them were short I got the feeling of fulfillment and I loved each one for it's own reasons. I loved the heartache of Letters at Christmas by Amber Lin, the spark of humanity that Eight Tiny Flames by Crista McHugh showed me that exists (some parts of the story are true and really happened), the correction of a mistake in An Eternity of You by Sophia Garrett and how someone can finally be happy even after the loss of ...more
Becky
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review posted on my blog, Becky on Books.

A Very Scandalous Holiday is a fun collection of holiday-themed historical romances, with two British Regency-era-ish stories acting as bookends for a World War II and 1920s era romance in between. There isn't a bad story in the bunch, but I definitely have favorites!

"Letters at Christmas" by Amber Lin is the first story in the collection. Sidony Harbeck has to deal with the return of her former lover, Captain Hale Prescott. Three years earlier, he left t
Zee Monodee
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it

What can I say about this book? I recently went on a binge of contemporary romance and wanted. desperately, to grab on to something other than contemp for a read. Then this book landed in my virtual lap. Historical, with a plethora of time periods. Late Regency England, WWII, 1920s Chicago, among others. I'll admit it's the 1920's vibe that got me intrigued, because there is a dearth of stories set in that time period and I wanted to check this one out.

I wasn't disappointed. Maybe the o
Amanda
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I sat and read this book in one sitting. All four stories are very engaging, with wonderful characters that are well very thought out. The story lines are all interesting and different from each other. I found it refreshing that I didn't feel like I was reading a different version of the same story four times over.

In Letters For Christmas you will find a story of a young love that has been put on hold. There are misunderstandings keeping the young lovers from being together. Will Sidony forgive
JG
A Very Scandalous Holiday is an anthology of 4 novellas by different authors set in 4 different time periods centered around one holiday. Each story stands unique in plot and theme reflecting the talents of each author. In Amber Lin's Letters at Christmas, set in 1815 England the plot was of lovers separated by time and distance with only the promise of coming back and waiting for each other. I love how this author always puts a sense of realism in her stories. A sweet romance which centers arou ...more
Mariel Hoss
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
*ARC from NetGalley and Publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

This is an anthology of 4 Christmas short stories…it starts with Sidony and Hale, childhood sweethearts separated by Hale’s desire to better himself in order to be worthy of Sidony. Hale sets sail and is gone for 3 years leaving Sidony who waits for word, any word, in vain. When Hale comes back, it is to find Sidony has hardened her heart…this story is their journey back to love, not to the past as they have both changed but to
Jasmyn
A cute collection of stories revolving around love and the holidays across the ages. I have a hard time picking a favorite - they were all wonderful and a great way to start easing into the holiday spirit. Some sweet romance to relax to before all the shopping hordes descend.

The collection takes us from Regency England to WWII, with a stop in the 1920's (which is a time period that is neglected in my opinion). Filled with women willing to take a risk to find their love and men willing to fight t
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Four fabulous novellas to put you in the holiday spirit! Each story is a quick, easy, and entertaining read with a common holiday theme designed to give you a blast from the past! I loved reading each story and even though they were all fairly short, the writing was excellent, the plot and characters were well-developed and all the heroes and heroines were down right lovable! If you are looking for a great way to kick off your holiday season, I suggest give this anthology a try! It’s great for r ...more
Erzabet Bishop
This collection of stories was a wonderful and heartwarming. Amber Lin always plucks at my heart strings and she can tell a tale, no matter what time she writes about. Kitty cats and missing letters abound in this lovely story of coming home. I loved it. Reading the second story, Eight Tiny Flames by Crista McHugh, you feel like you are there in the wartime fray Excellent piece. I want to read more from this author. :) An Eternity of You by Sophia Garrett was amazing. Erin's Gift by Nancy Fraser ...more
Ilona
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
All the stories were well written and very sweet. Each of these stories were like eating one of those lindt chocolate balls that just melts in your mouth and leaves you with a warm gooey feeling.
They're perfect for reading before bed or in a late afternoon when all you want is to read something wonderfully nice. Everything was nicely wrapped up and all the problems gone and everyone was just really lovely together.
Which may annoy some people there is no real evil in these stories everything get
Lynn Spencer
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
B- on All About Romance, so 3.5 stars Even though we're still in mid-fall, I always start thinking of Christmas anthologies this time of year. When I saw that A Very Scandalous Holiday featured romances from a variety of time periods (and even a Hanukkah romance in the mix!), I knew I had to give it a try. Not every story worked for me, but I did enjoy this collection overall and I'm very glad I read it.

This is a partial review. You can find the complete text, with reviews of each story, at All
Susan Woodard
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed all four of the novellas in this anthology. I was very partial to the more modern stories, as I'm about Regency'd out, and not really a fan of 1800's England ... however both stories were wonderful. I especially enjoyed both Erin's Gift (loved the 20's setting) and Eight Tiny Flames (loved the time period and found it great that there was a Hanukkah story featured as well).

Great job by all four authors!
Darlene
Like most anthologies, some stories pleased me more than others. I especially enjoyed "Eight Tiny Flames" by Christa McHugh, because of its excellent evocation of place and time in a WWII Army celebration of Chanukah. I also enjoyed "Erin's Gift" because the Roaring 20s are a period ready for full historical fiction treatment, and this was a good entry.

I'd recommend this for fans of holiday stories looking for something out of the ordinary.
Chantale Canadian Book Addict
Well good thing I had nothing else to do the day I read this ebook because I just couldn't put it down. I loved each stories in this anthology. They are all very well written. I will very much look for other books by the authors of these stories.

I highly recommend this.

5 out of 5
Jess
Overall, I enjoyed this. The non-traditional time period stories were definitely worth the purchase price.
Linnet
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quite liked these stories - each one was well written and easily evoked what I imagine the period would be like. The writing was light and engaging - perfect to while away a few hours :-)
Les Romantiques
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Posted on Les Romantiques - Le forum du site
Reviewed by Fabiola
Review Copy from the Publisher

I know that anthologies or novellas have difficulties finding their way in France. Most of the time, the readers complain about too short sizes and frustrating stories. I really like on the contrary, it allows me to discover authors I wouldn’t have tried otherwise and to clear my head for a short story.

That is why, when I saw that this anthology with such a lovely cover and really interesting synopsis wa
Angie
Sep 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

A Very Scandalous Holiday is a charming collection of Historical Romance novellas set around the holiday season. They're each from a different time period and have varying levels of holiday cheer and steam. Overall, I did enjoy it, although none of them particularly stood out to me.

Letters at Christmas by Amber Lin ★★★☆☆

This story follows Sidony and Hale's reunion after a three year seperation. They were childhood friends and teenage lovers before Hale set off
Gaby
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Posted at Oh My Books!

I like to read holidays anthologies, for me it's the perfect way to get in the holiday mood. So when I saw A Very Scandalous Holiday at NetGalley I didn't wait to request it.

Eight Tiny Flames by Crista McHugh was a surprise for me because I thought I wasn't going to enjoy it, but did. Lt. Ruth Mencher is proud of her religion and wants to share Hanukkah with Capt. Joseph Klein, who she secretly admires. Their attraction was strong but their romance is very sweet, mixed with
Cerian
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Originally published at Rookie Romance.

The stories in this anthology are sweet, but some are stronger than others, which is why my rating isn't any higher.

Erin's Gift by Nancy Fraser was my favourite of the four stories. It' set in the 1920s, an era i don't usually read about, which was unusual and really interesting. Erin is very sweet, she's trying to get by as best as she can, but one mistake changes everything. Seth, rather reluctantly, steps up to save the day and hires Erin as his son's na
Ruth
This collection, provided by the publisher through netgalley, engaged me, but only to a certain extent.

What did I like?

- All the stories are short - I know, I know, they're novellas, so they're going to be short, but I really like the idea of having 4 short stories in one collection. It's a nice way to fill the space between longer stories.

- The variety of time period - Although this includes one Regency, it also includes one WW2 setting, one 1920s setting and one late-Georgian (1830) setting. I
Claudia

When I started reading this anthology I didn't know the four short stories were set in very different time periods. This surprised me a bit.

Amber Lin's Letters at Christmas is set in the Regency period and was my favourite story. I generally like her writing style and this was a very moving, character centric story and the hottest of the four.

The second story is Eight Tiny Flames by Crista McHugh which is set in Belgium in 1944. I don't like to read stories set in WWII but I ended up e
Zeee  (I Heart Romance & YA)
Warning: This review may contain spoilers

“A unique mix of stories…it gives us a taste of each authors’ talents.”

This book is an anthology of four historical romances by different authors set at a different time in history that is basically centered around the holidays. I personally love the way the anthology is compiled as it gives the reader a taste of the different historical periods. It also adds to the variety of the book and gives the reader a taste of each authors’ talents. My favorite nov
Artemiz
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, 2014
A Very Scandalous Holiday is anthology that contains four love stories that find their happy ending around 24th of December.

Two of the stories are about childhood friends/sweethearts/lovers who have been torn apart and then they meet again after three/eight years. At first the girls/woman are angry and ready to scratch their lovers eyes out but very quickly they are turned around and are once again ready to jump into bed with their now already future husbands.

Two other stories are about how two
Barbara
Dec 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-2013
Nancy: Fraser: Erin's Gift ***
Set in the 1920's nanny and lawyer fall in love.

Amber Lin: Letters At Christmas - ****
Hale had left to make his fortune but never wrote to Sidony. Now he is back and wants to marry her.

Christa McHugh: Eight Tiny Flames ***
A Hanukkah story of an army doctor and nurse during WWII on German lines. Based on facts.

Sophia Garrett: An Eternity of You ***
Andrew returns to the woman and estate he abandoned years ago.
Sapphyria
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Letters at Christmas by Amber Lin

Letters at Christmas takes place in Lancashire, England in 1815.

Three years ago, Hale Martin promised to write Sidony Harbeck all of the time while he's off making himself worthy of marriage. Except, Sidony hasn't receive one single communication from him. Hale made sure to inform Sidony's brother that he will be back in town soon but not a word to Sidony herself.

Sidony is still in love with him but she wants to punish him for not keeping his promises. When he w
Esther
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Review of A very scandalous holiday by Amber Lin, Crista McHugh,
This book is composed of four short novellas that are all in connection with Christmas period. A good read for the holidays. I received an ARC for an honest review, here it is;

Letters at Christmas by Amber Lin
This is the first story we are introduced to and honestly I think it was a rather sweet and good story. If I were to rate this story alone it would stand as a 3 star.
Set in the 1815 England this story introduces us to Sidony
Sassy Moms Say Read Romance
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Andrew, the Duke of Sharrington left for reasons only known to him. Rebecca was left pregnant, and only had unkempt promises to remember him by. The state of the village is diplorable and the people do not trust their Duke. He has been absent for so long, they have learned to deal with things on their own. A freak accident with his daughter brings the Duke face to face with his true love, Rebecca.
Rebecca, now the village surgeon, has a 6 year old son. She is convinced his father, Andrew, wants
Nancy Fraser has been writing since she was a child, most often on walls and with crayons or (heaven forbid) permanent marker.

Since first becoming published in 1996, Nancy has received numerous five star reviews for her futuristic, time travel romance.

She’s also published in short contemporary, historical romance
and is contracted for a series of ten vintage historical romances set during the Golde
More about Nancy Fraser

Men Of Fortune (2 books)
  • Letters At Christmas (Men Of Fortune, #1)
  • Falling For The Pirate (Men Of Fortune, #2)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Two By Two
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be