Start by marking “The Boots My Mother Gave Me” as Want to Read:
The Boots My Mother Gave Me

The Boots My Mother Gave Me

(The Boots My Mother Gave Me #1)

AMAZON BREAKTHROUGH NOVEL AWARD QUARTER-FINALIST

*Anniversary Edition includes a new cover and a new Epilogue, setting up a sequel for Kat's story*

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to walk through life in someone else's shoes?

ebook, Anniversary Edition, 280 pages
Published September 16th 2013 by Arena Books (first published August 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Boots My Mother Gave Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boots My Mother Gave Me

Alexis *Reality Bites*
SPOILER FREE REVIEW 5 STAR Read
5 STARS out of 5
Genre: Contemporary Romance
READ THIS BOOK!!!! I TOTALLY RECOMMEND It!!!
'Within each of us, there lies the innate ability to survive, triumph and overcome, rewriting the scripts of our own lives, having some power over our fate of generations to come.' -Harley's inner monologue

This book really dealt with a lot of topics from Domestic abuse/violence, alcohol abuse, teen pregnancy, drug /substance abuse, suicide, forgiveness and of course love. I don'
Splage
Review posted to: Swept Away By Romance

5 Absolutely Brilliant Stars

The Boots My Mother Gave Me was a powerful and poignant story of a young girl’s turbulent life as she struggles to find that one special thing she was born to do. It was so emotional, yet beautiful to read that I was a puddle, exhausted, and completely wrung dry by the end. It is one of those books you can’t put down for even a minute, it completely hooked me. The story explored some darker topics such as alcoholism, abuse, and s
Anne OK
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anne OK by: Amazon Kindle Freebie 7/14/12
Shelves: 2012-reads
Amazon's Book Description:

AMAZON BREAKTHROUGH NOVEL AWARD QUARTER FINALIST 2011 Have you ever wondered what it would be like to walk through life in someone else’s shoes? Strong-willed tomboy Harley LeBeau puts you in the boots her mother gave her, as she takes you along her journey of escape from an abusive childhood and the desire to find herself as she comes of age. Made to feel a burden to her father simply by her gender, Harley is determined to prove her worth and independence, leaving the
Kathleen
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story Rating ~ 5+ HUGE STARS!
Hero Rating ~ 5+ YUMMY STARS!
Heroine ~ 5+ BOOT LOVING STARS!
Romance ~ 4 Stars
Heat Level ~ 3 Stars
Ending ~ 5+ HAPPY STARS!
Overall Rating ~ 5+ Brilliantly Written Stars! A truly epic read that will captivate your heart.

The Boots My Mother Gave Me was truly an AMAZING read. This book grabbed me right from the beginning and kept me fully interested until the very end. The story line completely BLEW ME AWAY!

This book tells the story about a young lady named Harley LeBeau.
Tom
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a 4.5 for me and I thought for sure I was going to light the 5th star through most of the book but the ending just bugged me. I HATED him and she just kept trying to make me feel something for the bastard and the more I pushed the more she pushed. I loved most of the book and I doubt that most people will have a problem with the part that brought it down for me, so if you are thinking about it you should def give it a shot. Sucked me right in and kept me there.
Liz
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***HIGHLY RECOMMEND*** 5 INCREDIBLE Leather Worn Boots Stars
Two Words: Standing Ovation!

The author’s writing was flawless. Flowed like a crystal clear river over smooth pebbles. This story was exactly that, crystal clear to the reader, made sense by incorporating the perfect combination of life, involving love, friendships, struggles, and overcoming them. Life might unravel, just like pulling those rollers out of your hair transformed into curls, letting them fall to your shoulders and bou
Smitten's Book Blog

I was really excited to read this. I'd read a lot of great reviews and had high expectations... I guess what they say is true, different strokes for different folks.

I find this book sooooo frustrating. I didn't get the heroine at all! She drove me insane.

Harley has issues. She comes from a dysfunctional family. Her father is abusive, her mother is his enabler. And the effect it has on the rest of her life is monumental.

Mr Yumani, my fifth grade science teacher, so specific in his explanation,
Aestas Book Blog
Aug 01, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-tbr
FREE ON AMAZON TODAY

Drita
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Drita by: ...I would not have known about this book if ~Liz~ didn’t recommend it. Thank you, truly a gem!!!
Shelves: arc-author

Books like "The Boots My Mother Gave Me" are why I love to read.

“It’s amazing, really, how the good in people can virtually cause us to ignore the bad, as we nurture the perpetual desire within each of us to believe in the humanity in the ones we love.”

This is a BEAUTIFUL tale that will trigger all your emotions and will draw you into the story and the characters. I love this author’s voice, she writes with so much heart. She gave us a story that has so much soul, so much emotion, so much heart
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
5++ Stars!
This book was FANTASTIC!!! I couldn't put it down. I started it late in the afternoon, ignored the hubs and the little dude for the majority of the evening and stayed up until midnight finishing it. It grabbed me from the first chapter and never let go. I was sad, I was mad, I was happy....I cried, I laughed. You name it, I felt it. Best part of all....it ended just the way I had hoped! I absolutely recommend this book!!!
Irene Bañuelos
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, audible, 2014
I received this book free for review. The characters were well written, they had multiple sides to them, none of the characters were all good or bad. The flash backs where simple and strait forward. In the audio version the songs included throughout the story were great I hope to see more audio books like this.
Paula
Rating: A+

The Boots My Mother Gave Me is a powerful story about a young woman named Harley who's family life is dysfunctional. Her father is an abusive alcoholic. The day after she graduates from high school, she packs Charlaine, her 1970 Chevelle SS 396, and takes off to see the world. She has no idea where the road will take her and doesn't care. She just wants to spread her wings and fly.

What the hell did I really want? What do you do when you want to do everything? What do you do when you ca
Kj
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tear-jerkers, abuse

I liked this book book. I really did. I would like to give it 3.5 stars but since we can't give half stars on Goodreads I can only give it 3. This book tells the story of Harley, a headstrong free spirited girl who comes from dysfunctional home. Her father is an abusive alcoholic and her mother is a co-dependent enabler who always makes excuses for him. Harley is bound and determined not to end up in a relationship like her mother and father's. She sets out on a self-discovering journey with her

Tessa Teevan
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

Strong-willed tomboy Harley LeBeau puts you in the boots her mother gave her, as she takes you along her journey of escape from an abusive childhood and the desire to find herself as she comes of age. Made to feel a burden to her father simply by her gender, Harley is determined to prove her worth and independence, leaving the small town she grew up in and the one boy who gave her a soft place to fall, Jeremiah Johnson. Torn between saving herself and abandoning her mother and younger sister, Ha
Brooklyn James
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
"Not since Margaret Mitchell's Scarlett O' Hara have we seen a literary female of such strength, vitality, vulnerability, and complexity as Harley LeBeau. The Boots My Mother Gave Me is a powerful and emotional novel examining a young woman's journey to outrun her past. Brooklyn James navigates effortlessly through the rough terrain of her characters' complicated psychologies. If truth is beauty, then James has written the most beautiful of tales." -Candice Adams, Editor Muse, Austin, TX

"Brookl
Sarah (SB) ღ
5++++ Quite a journey, amazing.
There was not one thing I didn't like about this story, because not one time did it feel contrived or forced in any way. It is simply genuine, yet not simple at all.
It felt like sitting down with a friend to share the experience. I so very much wanted to hold Harley's hand and reassure her that even lost, broken, neglected hearts can find their way home.

Also ;) I'm a Pittsburgh gal.

Elizabeth
Rating: 4.5

I've been thinking a lot about how to review this novel, it's unique and sort of in a league of its own. I'll admit, I was reluctant to pick it up even though I've had it for in my queue for months, for some reason I kept shuffling it to the bottom of the pile. But lately I've been getting suckered into the more "popular" reads and have found the majority to be very disappointing. So on a whim I bumped this to the top. I'm super, super happy I did. I think my reluctance came from the
Lauren ♥ Inked in Chapters
You can read this and other reviews at Madisonsays

I have tried to write this review numerous times; spent literally hours contemplating the right adjectives to use to describe its brilliance. Absolute nothing I can come up with does this book justice. The Boots My Mother Gave Me is just flat out incredible! Every once in a great while, if you’re lucky, you find a book that really speaks to you. One that you measure all others against. For me, The Boots My Mother Gave Me is that book. If there we
Wanda Hartzenberg
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I listened to the audio book of The Boots My Mother Gave Me. I was addicted from the start.
Usually I would not advise an author to narrate their own audio books but as a singer and a professional in this business, Brooklyn could not have done better. This is an amazing story about a father and his daughter and the dysfunctional part of having a father that is an alcoholic and who was so tortured himself that he does not know how to relate to the people in his life.
It is a story of trust. It is
Stephanie Morrow
The story was fascinating. I loved Harley; loved her attitude and her determination. Throughout her journey of life, she was determined not to end up like her mother, in an abusive relationship. She wanted more out of life and she wasn't going to be satisfied with anything less.
Her number one goal after graduation was to go and never look back. She knew she'd miss her mom, sister and Miah but also knew that she had to get away and live life to the fullest.
Harley travels to different places, ta
Christina

6 Amazingly, Wonderful Stars!!!

What a journey I just went on. I honestly feel empty yet full at the same time what a beautiful beautiful book! This was similar to The Sweet Gum Tree and yet also a soul searching book that gave me a feeling like Eat Pray Love. Also the love story between Harley and Jeremiah was heartwarming. Oh isn't Jeremiah the most wonderful?! I would wait for him that's for sure.

This was one of my favorite books I have read. I will be for sure reading this one again. It wi
Maria
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
All I Can Say Is.....I Loved It!!!

If you Loved The Sweet Gum Tree, Give This A Try!!
Keighley
Speeding through the months & years too quickly so i lost connection to characters. Could be a nice quick read for others, just wasn't the one for me!
Candice
I think I am going to have to say that I can't rate this...right now. Parts of me says 3 star and other parts are screaming 5. I have no idea if this is a true story turned fiction or not, but it sure felt like that to me. I don't know if I feel comfortable putting a star rating on that. I might change my mind though. So, if you see the stars filled in you know my heart caught up to my head.

First can I say that the mother pissed me off. Your kids are in danger...GET OUT! Seriously. No if's, and'
Sorcha O'Dowd
A stunning, emotional rollercoaster of a journey, ‘The Boots My Mother Gave Me’ is up there as one of my top reads for 2013.

There was something about Brooklyn James’ writing style which grabbed me from the word go. I was yanked into the beautifully written and heartbreakingly realistic storyline which managed to crush my heart into a million pieces in between laughing and smiling as I witnessed the most beautiful and loving of relationships being forged and the winning of battles that characters
Michelle
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So good. This book was just an emotional read from page one to the last. It hit on so many emotions and topics. It's hard to walk away from this without being wrecked. I was surprised that I was not a puddle of tears on the floor after this. But I have a feeling that moment will come.

Harley is a tomboy, she spends her days wondering what dad will she get today. The loving father or the one that tells her she is worthless. Will today be the day she can just be a kid with her sister or will she h
Lynn Worton
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Updated Review:

Review 6******

I was given a copy of this book in audio format by the author in return for an honest review.

This is a very emotionally charged story that touched me deeply, and had me hooked from the first page.

Harley Le Beau is a very strong character. She has had to be, to cope with the verbal and physical abuse perpetrated by her father.
The one constant in her life is her mother, sister and her next door neighbour, Jeremiah Johnson.

Jeremiah (or as Harley calls him, Miah) Johnso
Jessica's Book Review
Read more reviews on my blog | Like me on Facebook

The Boots My Mother Gave Me is one of those books that will stay with you forever after reading. It deals with a lot of hard issues, child abuse, domestic abuse, alcoholism, suicide, teen pregnancy, and trying to accept the life you were given without running away from those who truly love you.

The Boots My Mother Gave Me centers on the character of Harley LeBeau. She is an amazingly strong girl who has goals for herself and does not want to be li
Wanda Hartzenberg
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
It is a story of trust. It is
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
*I was sent an ARC by the Author for an honest and unbiased review.*

I absolutely loved this book! I couldn’t and didn’t want to put it down. It is so well written and the characters make such an impression on you that you need to know how their journey ends.

It was an emotional and beautiful ride that packed “a punch” with its message through a heart-breaking and poignant story of domestic abuse, alcohol abuse, teen pregnancy, drug abuse, suicide and how to accept the love that is meant for you.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Lily of the Springs
  • Vol.1 (London Brown, #3.5)
  • Fight or Flight (Fight or Flight, #1)
  • Running Barefoot
  • The Darkest of Shadows
  • Anarchy (Alfonzo, #3)
  • At Last
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Miss Me Not
  • A Lover's Worth (The Ramseys, #5)
  • Ten Days of Perfect (November Blue, #1)
  • Olivia
  • One Week
  • All the Pieces (Pieces of Lies, #3)
  • Heartbreaker
  • My Only (Versions, #1)
  • Behind the Hood (Behind the Lives, #1)
  • The Heart Has Reasons
Brooklyn James is an author/singer-songwriter inspired by life in the Live Music Capital of Austin, Texas. Her first novel, The Boots My Mother Gave Me, has an original music soundtrack and was chosen as a Quarter Finalist in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards. The book provided a platform where it was her honor to serve as a guest speaker with a focus on awareness and prevention of domestic vio ...more

The Boots My Mother Gave Me (2 books)
  • Sole Sister
“I'm not sure who has the greater fear, mothers or daughters, that daughters will, in fact, become their mothers.” 12 likes