Start by marking “The Good Die Twice” as Want to Read:
The Good Die Twice

The Good Die Twice

(Chase Dagger Mysteries #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  274 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Chase Dagger is a private detective with no past and a knack for
inheriting the most bizarre cases. To handle unusual cases requires unusual
assistants. Einstein is a scarlet macaw with a photographic memory. Sara is
Native American with the ability to shape-shift. When Sara witnesses the
murder of a woman, she finds it difficult to convince Dagger that the murder
took pla
Published November 1st 2001 by Full Moon Publishing (first published October 1st 2000)

S.D.
Book Description:

The Tyler Family is one of the richest families in Cedar Point. Five years ago Robert Tyler's young wife disappeared off the family yacht. Was it just an accident? Her body was never found. Then one night Robert Tyler receives a desperate phone call from a familiar voice. But he dismisses it. Rachel couldn't be alive. Or could she? Chase Dagger is a private detective with no past, a sometime fiancee, a scarlet macaw with a brain and an attitude, and a beautiful assistant named
Carol Kerry-green
Lee Driver is a pseudonym for S D Tooley who writes the Sam Casey mysteries which I just finished reading, so of course I had to go find these as well:) I'm really enjoying the characters here, Chase Dagger is a PI who has a shady background, so shady he won't talk about it; but he knows a thing or two and isn't adverse to using his skills to help and protect his friends. Chase's partner is Sara Morningsky, an 18 year old shapeshifter who can change into either a grey wolf or a hawk; both of whi ...more
LJ
The Good Die Twice - Ok
Lee Driver
Thirty-year-old, leanly handsome Chicago-area private detective Chase Dagger employs 18-year-old, reservation-raised shape-shifter Sara Morningsky as his assistant in this series debut. As a sleek hawk, Sara witnesses the murder of a beautiful former model who supposedly died at sea some five years earlier. When Sara and Chase delve into her family background, they uncover hidden agendas, rivalries, and greed.

Paranormal mystery, detective and shapeshifter - inter
Anna
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

I just finished reading this and really enjoyed it. Loved the unique characters and the plot was excellent. The story flowed nicely and kept my attention. This goes in my read again collection.
Mary JL
Nov 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of mystery or fantasy books
Recommended to Mary JL by: Received as a gift from John Daly
Shelves: mystery-horror
This is an excellent mystery with a dash of supernatural elements added.

Chase Dagger's young asisstant, Sara Morningsky is a shape shifter. She can change at will to a gray hawk or a gray wolf, though she retains her human intelligence in those forms.

While flying at night in her hawk form, she witnesses a murder. She and Dagger start investigating, since of course, they can hardly call the police as Sara cannot explain how she was there.

They soon discover that the dead lady is one Rachel Tyler.
Peggy Holloway
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually like novels where people turn into animals or dead people come alive and I probably wouldn't have read this one if I hadn't downloaded a lot of books in a hurry. But I really liked this book. I thought the character development was excellent. I also liked the relationship development. What I mean by that, is that when very different people come together and form a healthy relationship. For example, the relationship between Dagger, one of the main characters, and the schizophrenic ...more
Adrienne Testa
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
A private investigator, a shape shifter with native american origins, a parrot and a rich family is he basis of this story. The story unravels slowly as the characters are being established. Every one has secrets, they rather stay secret. Why was the wife of the richest man in town murdered and who is trying to keep it a secret is the story being told. Australian diamonds, are hidden by the dead woman and the chase is on to uncover the truth. The series has potential but you need patience as the ...more
Meredith O'rourke
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Two stars for a novel idea. Otherwise, from the very beginning the writing was juvenile. I went on thinking some writers just use too many adjectives. Then the 'little woman' language started appearing. Ugh. Checked publication date. Kept on. Chapter 5, no end in sight of the mysterious he-man and native naïve little woman. Done. Won't continue reading
Christopher Preiman
Nov 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
I was unimpressed. I found the characters to be two dimensional at best and stereotypical and offensive at worst, the plot was uninspired and the writing lacked any sense of style subtlety, or mood. It isn't often i come across a book in which I find nothing redeaming, but The Good Die Twice is one of those rare finds.
Elizabeth Bailey
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
This had some very clever ideas, well drawn characters, but was not as tightly paced as it might have been. Nice humour, interesting premise, but didn't hold me throughout. But it was good, nicely written and sufficiently entertaining to keep me reading. I liked it.
Kirsten Mccann
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
good

A fast paced and reasonably plausible thriller. Well defined and likable leads draw you into a story of deception and murder. Some very choppy transitions can make portions seem too jarring to allow you to stay in the flow of the narrative.
Scbickle
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I wasn't sure about the shape shifting as I was looking for a detective story rather than a fantasy, however after my initial reticence the writing won me over and pulled me into what is after all a well plotted detective story.
Lisa
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

This is good mystery, with twists that were not easy to figure out. I also liked the setting of my home state, which is not very often used. If you also like the fantasy side you will enjoy this book.
Patricia A
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fast read, kept my interest the entire time. Like the idea of shape-shifter .nd macaw helping PI with solving crime. Shape-shifter and macaw's perspective gives a total different point of view or a "hey yeah, why am I being so dumb!" The bird definitely brought levity.
Bob Ely
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. It brings a little "Shape Shifting" into play, but makes it enjoyable. The book was easy to put down after a couple of chapters, until you got close to the end, about 10 chapters to go.
Mary Sweeney
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story including murder, suspense and shape shifting. This was my first story about shape shifting and I was pleasantly surprised with the story. I'd definitely read more of this writer's works.
Katie Murphy
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twice

Really enjoyed 'fantasy' story with Sara Morningsky and Chase Dagger, and Eisenstein too of course! Sheila (witch, witch!!) is perfectly wonderful to hate, more great characters too. Can't give too much away.
Doug Hathaway
Free Friday Nook download. Okay, but I wouldn't buy it.
Nanci de Suffren
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
This book kind of reminded me of those old black and white detective movies of the 50's. Not quite the quality of Hitchcock but still enjoyable.
Lydia
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural, own
enjoyed - would read more by this author
Gates Watson
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Loved the characters and the storyline. Had to immediately get the rest of the series. Would highly recommend.
Jessi
Jul 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Quick read, not much thinking involved. Just one of those that you can zone out with.
Evelyn Wilson
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook-books-read
WOW what an awesome book! It says it is the first one but at the end it appears there may be one before it. Love the Wolf! Love the Hawk! Chase isn't so bad! Sara is wonderful! ENJOYED! ENJOY!
Kelly Martin
Sep 21, 2011
Belinda
Nov 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • When the Dead Speak (Sam Casey Mystery, #1)
  • Beyond Belief
  • Dead Demon Walking (Whisperings, #3)
  • Cry Dance
  • Blowback (Nameless Detective, #4)
  • Darkness Exposed (Mary O’Reilly Paranormal Mystery #5)
  • A Vicky Hill Exclusive! (Vicky Hill, #1)
  • Cats Can't Shoot (Pru Marlowe, #2)
  • A Corpse's Nightmare (Fever Devilin, #6)
  • Good Morning, Darkness
  • I Try Not to Drive Past Cemeteries (Brianna Sullivan Mysteries, #1)
  • Disarming Detective (The Lawmen #1)
  • Desert Noir (A Lena Jones Mystery #1)
  • Everybody Kills Somebody Sometime (Rat Pack Mysteries, #1)
  • Hounding The Moon (Tess Noncoire #1)
  • First, Do No Harm (Brier Hospital, #1)
A pseudonym used by S.D. Tooley

Chase Dagger Mysteries (7 books)
  • Full Moon, Bloody Moon
  • The Unseen
  • Chasing Ghosts
  • Fatal Storm
  • The Vaporizer (Chase Dagger Mysteries #6)
  • Nightfall

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Watchers Of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
  • Jaws
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
  • The Romanov Cross
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
  • A Purple Place for Dying: A Travis McGee Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
  • Brighton
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Christmas Caramel Murder (Hannah Swenson, #20)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blazing Summer (Darling Investigations, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • The God's Eye View
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Abandon