Start by marking “Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich” as Want to Read:
Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich

Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich

You think you've got problems? Dracula, Wolfman, Bigfoot--now they have problems.

Monster-sized.

You try to address Dracula's hygiene issues. And don't even get me started on the Phantom of the Opera.

Really, just read this book.
Published September 1st 2006 by Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich

Start your review of Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich
Mariah Roze
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was a collection of 1-2 page poems and stories. My students didn't understand any of the jokes or references. This book was not for kids.
Ronyell
Phantom

Now, I have read many picture books that were not only funny for children, but also funny for adults and I have stumbled upon yet another picture book that was laugh out loud funny for both children and adults called “Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Other Stories You’re Sure to Like, Because They’re all about Monsters, and some of them are also about food. You Like Food, don’t you? Well, all right then” (or we can just say “Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich” to make it easier).

In this book, there
Melki
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These poems feature just my kind of quirky humor.

Frankenstein turns lemons into lemonade . . . or at least trash into a tasty snack.

Creature from the Black Lagoon's mommy won't let him swim right after eating.

The Phantom of the Opera gets an earworm.

And, in one of my favorites - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Henderson - Jekyll mixes the wrong potion, and turns himself into a gigantic bore.

I had a terrific time with this one. There are plenty of laughs, and the artwork is spectacular.
I love, LOVE, LOVED
Kathryn
(Four stars based on the parts I read) I read half of this and enjoyed it. Very humorous, witty, fun-fun-fun and creepy/ghoulish without being too scary or gross. The accompanying illustrations really add to the story and mood and there are so many fun little "extras" to find and read, like the newspaper articles characters are reading on the sidelines, etc. BUT, I just could not get through this book in one sitting. Maybe I am simply "done" with Halloween-y books for the year, but it got to be ...more
Lisa Vegan
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids who like their humor outrageous and ghoulish and a tad warped
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail & Chandra & Ceridwen
I should hate this book! Between The Girl from Ipanema, luckily not much re Pop Goes the Weasel, but especially the infamous It’s a Small World After All, It’s a Small World After All, It’s a Small World After All... Ha!

I would have really liked The Invisible Haircut when I was young, but this is one I think I enjoyed more as an adult than I would have as a kid. I don’t see kids getting all the jokes. But that makes this one fun for adults to read aloud to kids; they can enjoy it too. I’ve never
Paul
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Hmmm...this is a picture book, but I'm not quite sure if it's for children. I do know, however, that it's for ME. So, ha ha children....I'm keeping the book and you can't have it!

The humor is quirky, and the art is not only incredibly engaging, but done in a vast variety of styles. All the classic monsters are here (Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, Phantom of the Opera, and so on) and somehow Rex's irreverence for these monsters make it seem all the more reverent. He clearly loves these guys, and
Dolly
Jan 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their older children
This book was featured as one of the selections for the October 2011 Witches and Monsters-themed reads for the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads. I'm so glad it was - we laughed our way through this book and had so much fun singing the ditties.

We just visited Disney World last week and avoided the "It's a Small World" ride, since we'd done that one before. The girls didn't really remember it, so I sang it over and over again to show them how truly saccharine and
Lara's
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents and children 5-8 yrs.
Recommended to Lara's by: Jessalynn (Thank you!)
Shelves: picture-books
Synopsis : You think you've got problems? Dracula, Wolfman, Bigfoot...now they have problems! How'd you like to be the invisible man trying to get a haircut? Do you want to tell Count Dracula he's got spinach in his teeth?
Review : Some people are born with all of the talent. That is the case with Adam Rex and this amazingly illustrated book of monster poetry. I was first introduced to this book through a colleague and the moment she opened the pages, I was hooked. Mr. Rex has created a monster
Crystal Marcos
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich caught my eye on a display of Halloween books at a bookstore. I was delighted that it was picked for the Children's Picture Book Club monthly themed reads for this: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

When my husband saw this selection from the library, he decided to read this one out loud. I had fun listening to the collection of humorous poems mostly about well known monsters. I know my husband enjoyed himself because I watched him transformed before my eyes
Brenda
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brenda by: School Librarian for Poetry Month
Shelves: picture-books
This is the storybook if you love those creepy black and white movies with characters like Wolfman, Dracula, The Phantom of the Opera and even if you just like Witches and Bigfoot. There are wonderful illustrations with equally humorous rhymes, comics, limericks and stories. What makes it such fun is that these monsters are doing day to day things but in a fun and silly way like Frankenstein making a sandwich, the invisible man getting a haircut or even the son of Dracula going to the dentist. I ...more
Anna
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Still catching up with my Halloween reading -- and this is a great one to read every year, particularly if you have little ones. Rex's poetry is creative, funny and just adorable -- who knew the Phantom of the Opera could get "It's a Small World" and "Bingo" stuck in his head or how much trouble Frankenstein goes to just to get something to eat? How do you tell Dracula he's got something in his teeth? It's awkward, right?

The artwork is superb through all these vignettes. Makes me want to keep an
Abigail
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Monstrously Entertaining Children's Poems
This book really cracked me up! I'm sure that all the business people with whom I commute every day must think I'm a lunatic, as I'm always cracking open these HUGE picture-books on the morning train-ride (right next to their slim, elegant Kindles), and either sniffling into the pages (Patricia Polacco, I'm looking at you!) or laughing out loud. Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich, a collection of monstrously magical (or should that be magically monstrous?) poems by Adam Rex, was one of the ...more
Donalyn
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
A fun poetry anthology starring monsters and food. My favorite, the running joke about the Phantom of the Opera and the songs that stick in his head like "It's a Small World". I cannot wait to share this book with my students who admit they hate poetry.
Luann
Aug 22, 2008 rated it liked it
I thought this had some very clever poems, but for some reason it just wasn't a favorite.
Sebastian
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love books that both myself and my little girl can enjoy at the same time, though perhaps for different reasons. For example, in Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich she found it hilarious that The Monsta from the Black Lagoo didn’t listen to his mommy and went swimming too quickly after lunch and so he sank glug-glug-glug, while I found it hilarious that The Monster from the Black Lagoon didn’t listen to his mommy and went swimming too quickly after lunch and so he sank… errr. Well, now.

Of course,
Amy "the book-bat"
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I haven't laughed so much in a very long time
Ellen
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I <3 this book. Adam Rex is a poetic genius of the gleefully and, perhaps to some, annoyingly clever kind, and he's a fantastic illustrator to boot. How can anyone resist a kids' book that includes (randomly, I might add) a painting of a monster truck roaring through ice cream in a parfait glass beneath the caption, "Sundae, Sundae, Sundae!"?

From the obligatory copyright/library-of-congress/etc. info page to the table of contents to the endpapers, every single aspect of this amazingly silly
Julie Suzanne
The existence of such a book (found at the UU church rummage sale, of course) made me realize that there are more kids like my son in this world! It's like the book was made just for him. We read some of the poems aloud to our neighbor, laying on a blanket in our yard, and I could see that she was thinking...."okay...weird," which is the normal response one would have, I think. However, this book could be a portal for the average adult into Morgan's world. Poems narrate the everyday dilemmas of ...more
Janet Squires
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The last Friday in October is Frankenstein Friday so it seemed like the perfect time for a review.
There is plenty of spooky fun in this collection of poems about monsters facing their fears and dealing with everyday situations that become weirdly complicated. The Invisible Man gets a haircut, the Phantom of the Opera has the song, "It's a Small World," stuck in his head, The Creature from the Black Lagoon forgets to wait an hour before swimming. Wolfman, Bigfoot, Dracula...they're all here and
CH - Marvin Childress
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-k-8
By: Adam Rex; Grades: 2-3
This collection of poems are centered around monsters. The poems are scary versions, written in a Dr. Seuss sort-of-way. The book headlines Frankenstein as a chef trying to make a sandwich, and gets into other "menu" items with famous monster-like characters.

This is a terrific book of poems. They are creatively written and equally designed. The backgrounds and illustrations are fantastic. This could be used at anytime, but it would fit perfectly around Halloween.
Christine
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. The pictures and the verse are just funny, funny, funny. The Phantom of the Opera who can't write because he has "It's a Small World After All", or was it "B-I-N-G-O" stuck in his head. And Dracula with spinach in his teeth, the picture captures the mood perfectly. And the invisible man getting a haircut, make sure you read every thing on the page and examine every picture. I read it to my teenagers and even they couldn't help but laugh.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A collection of monster themed stories, most written in verse, some about food. I found the stories to be rather funny but I am not sure if most children would feel the same way because they are rather lengthy and require some thinking.

The Phantom of the Opera stories were by far the best, everyone can relate to having an annoying song stuck in your head. Adam Rex is one clever writer and illustrator. I will definitely be looking for more of his work in the near future.
Julia
One of my favorite picture books of this year: Rex's art is great and his sense of humor is hilarious. The picture book is a series of funny poems and stories about famous supernatural characters (like Frankenstein, Dracula, the Phantom of the Opera, the Hunchback of Notre Dame, etc.). My absolute favorite parts are the various children's songs the Phantom gets stuck in his head--makes me crack up everytime!
Sam Bloom
Nov 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-poetry
Absolutely hilarious collection of monster/ghoulish poems. My personal favorites are the the Phantom of the Opera bits (best poem title ever: "The Phantom of the Opera can't get 'It's a Small World' out of his head") and "Count Dracula doesn't know he's been walking around all night with a piece of spinach in his teeth." And I haven't even mentioned the fact that the illustrations are just amazing (typical Adam Rex). I can't wait to share these with the book club kids next Halloween!
Nikki Rae
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book has the most beautiful illustrations I have ever seen. If you like the old-style monsters like Frankenstein,Dracula,and Mummies,but want a slightly cuter, without losing the spookiness version of them, I recommend this book. It's awesome for adults and kids. My kids will know this book.
Krista
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book!
Kaethe Douglas
Still great. I had forgotten there was a Little Dracula in this one, but the PandaBat remembered.
Megan
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Ahahahaha I love the Phantom of the Opera.

"If The Phantom of the Opera can't get 'Pop Goes the Weasel' out of his head he's going to freak out"

Ahahaha
Kate Hastings
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, humor
A great poetry book for warped elementary kids. I LOVE IT!!! Funny stuff. Dracula has a piece of spinach in his teeth and nobody wants to tell him...
Kate
BEST KID'S BOOK EVER.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Parents of Tweens...: Just for fun Halloween tween read: 1 8 Oct 24, 2012 05:58AM

• The Spider and the Fly
  • Fanny's Dream
  • Thanksgiving in the Woods
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • Dear Vampa
Adam Rex grew up in Phoenix, Arizona, the middle of three children. He was neither the smart one (older brother) or the cute one (younger sister), but he was the one who could draw. He took a lot of art classes as a kid, trying to learn to draw better, and started painting when he was 11. And later in life he was drawn down to Tucson in order to hone his skills, get a BFA from the University of ...more