Start by marking “Virgin River (Virgin River, #1)” as Want to Read:
Virgin River (Virgin River, #1)

Virgin River

(Virgin River #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  46,695 ratings  ·  4,009 reviews
A Netflix Original Series!

Welcome back to Virgin River with the book that started it all…

Wanted: Midwife/nurse practitioner in Virgin River, population six hundred. Make a difference against a backdrop of towering California redwoods and crystal clear rivers. Rent-free cabin included.

When the recently widowed Melinda Monroe sees this ad, she quickly decides that the remote
Mass Market Paperback, 386 pages
Published March 27th 2007 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Virgin River, please sign up.
Sara ♥ Technically the Grace Valley Trilogy comes before this one. You can read those first if you'd like. You see the characters from it in Book 1, so there…moreTechnically the Grace Valley Trilogy comes before this one. You can read those first if you'd like. You see the characters from it in Book 1, so there is a connection. I didn't read it first, and I was fine.

You should definitely read the books WITHIN the Virgin River series in order. There's a lot of overlap with characters from the beginning books appearing in later books, so you won't know who everyone is if you don't read in order.

And as I understand it, the Thunder Point series is an offshoot of this one. The hero of book 1 is a character that makes a brief appearance in one of the Virgin River books. I haven't read it yet though.(less)

·  46,695 ratings  ·  4,009 reviews

Start your review of Virgin River (Virgin River, #1)
Pamela
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
I flipping loved this book.

It's my first Robyn Carr book. I've read a lot of good things about her here on Goodreads and also on Amazon, and I ordered several of her books this spring, hoping to get some time to read them.

Recently widowed Melinda Monroe, a certified nurse midwife, decides that to move beyond her grief she must start her life again. She sells almost everything she owns and moves to Virgin River, a tiny town in the middle of the California forest. At first it seems the transition
Catherine
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Catherine by: Ally72
*sigh* I feel like the grump lurking in the corner, but I did not like this book. Which is shocking! This book has an extremely high average and every GR friend I have to date has given it at least a 4 star grade. It must have something going for it to have so many fans, but I just can't see it. :\

This was supposed to be a modern book, but it felt oddly dated. The heroine Mel, talks about Starbucks and $300 highlights so I know it's modern, but it also had a weirdly old school vibe going for it.
Shelly
Mar 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
First, I'm going to apologize in advance for my review. These are my thoughts, and I know I'm in the great minority of people who didn't like this book, but OMG I just can't stand it any freaking more! I'm going to warn you right now, if you love this series, DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER - this will probably offend.

This is by far the worst book I've ever listened to, possibly ever. I had no idea it was going to be so terrible, it's gotten so many great reviews and I thought at the very least it would
TheBibliotheque ♡
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I can't begin to believe myself but Netflix did it BETTER.
(???)
description
Julie
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Virgin River by Robyn Carr is a 2019 Mira publication

( originally published in 2007)

Now I see why this series is so popular!

Melinda Monroe is a nurse practitioner/ midwife living in the big city, enjoying nice clothes and shoes, and expensive hair highlights. But, when her husband dies, all the horrors of the city and her inescapable grief fuels her need for an escape. Without thinking it through, she accepts a job in Virgin River, population 600. Free cabin, beautiful, remote scenery… sounds
Shawna
Re-read/listened to the audiobook version Nov'19

Original read/rating/review:

5+ stars – Contemporary Romance

There’s not much that hasn’t already been said about this sweet, delightful, feel-good contemporary romance and for very good reason, and now I’m finally glad that I get what all the fuss is about.

Virgin River is a heartwarming story about a young, grieving widow whose spirit is rejuvenated and soul revived by working as a nurse and midwife in a quaint little country town called Virgin Rive
Mo
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my kindle for years ... saw it was coming out on Netflix and decided to start it. Was just going to read it first prior to watching it but, you know me, I have no willpower. So was reading it, watching it and also listening to the Audio - such a multitasker ... if only I could be so organised in my real life and not just my reading life!!

Jack was cute. An ex-Marine who moves to Virgin River after he finishes his service, for a peaceful life of fishing and bar-tending.

The se
Eastofoz
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Hokey Americana. Never seen so many pregnant women in such a small area.
Nicola
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

Grabbed this purely because I saw the Netflix promo for the series based on this and the male lead is the hot doc who wasn’t in Grey’s Anatomy long enough for my liking. Yes I’m that shallow.

Mixed bag but plenty of likeable characters so I’ll read the next one.
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 Virgin River - ★★★★
#19 Return To Virgin River - ★★★★★

I am so thankful to the team at Mills & Boon for letting me a part of this amazing blog tour. It is an honour, and a pleasure! Click HERE to read the first chapter!

When recently widowed Melinda sees an advert for a midwife in the quiet town of Virgin River, she decides this is the perfect place to escape her heartache and to revitalise the nursing career she loves.

However, her dr
♥Rachel♥
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Brandie
Shelves: audio-book, favorites
4.5 Stars

Loved this! The rural setting of Virgin River: a secluded forest, simple life, and town folk that band together like a family was an absolute win for me. Mel got on my nerves a time or two, but I shouldn't really have been judgmental since she lost her husband only a year before. I completely LOVED and adored Jack. Oh my stars, every woman needs this man! Hunky, protective, just a total MAN!

I enjoyed the whole medical aspect of the story. Mel was a midwife/nurse practitioner and a lot
Pygmy
Oct 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
A generic "strong" female with "heart-shaped lips" and a fabulous figure + generic whitebread cleft-chin He-Man gentleman (even when hooking up!) with a soft spot for babies + a po-dunk town where nothing happens == boring book!

These people have no personality. Where's the humor? If not that, where's the intellectual intelligence? Or if not that, where's the sarcasm, the quirky attitudes, or some kind of color?? Or even if the characters were supposed to be ridiculously nice and laid-back, put t
Kiki
Naksed
After her husband is murdered, a big city nurse removes herself to a podunk town lost in the Redwoods of California to continue her loveless, lifeless, empty existence away from well-meaning, prying eyes. Soon, she gets sucked in, just like this reader, into this unusual, quirky, wonderfully weird hideaway and its inhabitants including one sex-on-a-stick, delicious, muscly, tattooed, awesomeness personified ex-marine who runs the only bar in town.

It's like a Kristen Ashley story except with amaz
Erin
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, series
I am just one of those people that likes to read the book before watching the movie or television series. Book 1 in the Virgin River series, we meet Mel(Melinda) a nurse practitioner midwife that leaves behind pain and heartache in L.A. to find a fresh new start in this fictional rural town. But things don't get off to a great start and Mel will need to learn to shake off her city ways to acclimatize herself to a different way of thinking. Good thing retired Marine turned bartender, Jack is wil ...more
Amy
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Virgin River is a series that I’ve been planning to read forever and with the release of the show on Netflix I finally read the first book, and you guys I LOVED it! Totally fun small town romance with authentic, imperfect characters and so much humor and heart. You know how most of the time small town romances can be cheesy? That’s fine, I don’t even mind that but this one wasn’t like that at all, it even went a little dark and I’m here for that! 🙌🏻 I can’t wait to watch the series but I’m gonna ...more
Melike
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I wanted to read the book before watching the series on TV and I am so glad I did! So many lovable and charming characters, and that includes grumpy Doc. I adore small-town romances and this one definitely did not disappoint.
Jonetta
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. The romance between Mel and Jack progressed realistically and the sense of community in the town was enviable. Carr does an admirable job in creating a completely different value system that works. The conflicts presented are also normal and the appropriate timeline was used for resolution without dragging the reader through the pain of inevitability.

I'm invested in this series and am on to the second book.
Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist)
I love this small town setting to bits and I'm going to continue reading the series for this alone The romance on the other hand while sweet, dragged for me, and all the conflicts-that-really-weren't didn't thrill either. Also the heroine never really choose the Jack. He was willing to bend over backwards no matter how far or for how long, and she never evolved to the point were she could openly accept and return his love. Yup, they end up together... but only out of circumstance; and cheesy let ...more
jenjn79
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: Romance Series Lists group
It took me a while to get into this book. I think I was about halfway through before I started to really get into the story. That's probably partially because just before that I'd been reading a Lora Leigh book (so completely different) and also because the vibe of Virgin River is rather different than your typical romance novel.

This book is about people and life, the vagaries of small-town living, growing and healing, and, of course, love. Like the town it's set in, the pace of the book is on t
Pam Nelson
5 Virgin River Stars

Melinda, recently widowed midwife needs to get out from the cloud of grief she is under. So when the opportunity comes along to move to a small town she takes her shot.

Jack a former U.S. Marine turned owner/co-owner of a bar/restaurant habitual playboy. Not ready to settle down. Take one look at Mel and he is sunk.

The book was so well written, I feel in love with this town these characters I don’t want to do anything but read!

This was a first for me by this author and it w
Jeannie
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
What a pleasant surprise! I don't usually read romance novels but I heard this was going to be made into a mini series on Netflix so I wanted to see what it was all about. I couldn't put it down, I loved it! ...more
K.
Aug 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to K. by: MelissaB
”Virgin River” by Robyn Carr -- 3.5*

Modern Day Contemporary
Jack and Melinda

This book has been reviewed multiple times, so I’ll just relate my personal impressions rather than providing much of a synopsis. Quickly, Melinda is an L.A. physician’s assistant/midwife practicing in a major hospital who loses her husband, the love of her life, in an unexpected murder when he chances upon a convenience store robbery in progress. She moves to a small town seeking solace, anonymity from overly concerned a
Duchess Nicole
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Duchess Nicole by: Alexis
I've had this on my shelf to read for what seems like forever. The ratings are outstanding for every single book in this now eighteen plus book series, and now I understand why.

The story is very slow moving but I never got bored. Life in Virgin River is easygoing...a small town atmoshphere in which everyone knows everyone and they're all there for each other. When Mel moves to Virgin River in a spur of the moment decision in answer to an add placed for a nurse, she is under-impressed at first.
Ken
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Virgin River surprisingly ended up being one of my favourite shows last year.
It can be difficult for couples to agree on something to watch together, this somehow managed to strike the right balance of having likeable characters and the romance not being too corny.

With the second series having just been released, I thought I'd refresh myself on how widowed Melinda Monroe leaves busy Los Angeles to this more remote town.

The plot is pretty simple as she responds to a postion of practitioner whilst
Alla
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this first book in the Virgin River series.
It felt like watching a nice, old movie that takes place in an old, small mountain village/town, where everybody knows your name (kind of like my town :) )
Srividya
I first met Robyn Carr a few years back when I stumbled upon her Virgin River series. It was a time when our daughter was diagnosed as being autistic and, needless to say, it was a traumatic time for us. We had just gotten her epilepsy under control and were very happy on her achieving her early milestones at the normal or even advanced rate and just couldn’t wrap our heads around this diagnosis. Nevertheless, she needed our support and strength and we dove right in and haven’t looked back. I wo ...more
KarenH
I'm a big fan of audiobooks; unfortunately, I've almost blown through audible.com's generously-sized romance collection completely. Recently, a ton of Stephanie Lauren's books were released on audio. Not being too familiar with her work, I listened to Devil's Bride and decided I would embark down that long Cynster road, knowing I'd have enough listening material for the next 6 months. However, 2 books into the series I was already feeling a restless urge to move on. Virgin River by Robyn Carr ca ...more
Bookread2day
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melinda Monroe was desperate to getting far away, she had been dreaming of a fresh start, with peace and quiet. When she sees an advert for a midwife in the remote town of Virgin River, it seemed the perfect job for her. Virgin River is a calm and quiet and safe place. The Virgin River was deep, wide long and home to salmon, sturgeon, steel fish and trout. What happens further more I don't want to spoil as I know some of you will read the book while others may watch Virgin River on Netflix. But ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a good sweet story. Perfect for a weekend getaway read!
J.D. Robb : Virgin River Series - Netflix 158 165 31 minutes ago
Huntsville-Madiso...: Hoopla Pick - January 7 - Virgin River 1 5 Jan 07, 2021 07:24AM
Nancy Gideon By M...: Virgin River Series by Robyn Carr Buddy Read - Jan. 2019 278 22 Jun 27, 2020 03:52AM
Hello Gorgeous Bo...: Virgin River 11 58 Feb 27, 2020 07:20PM
Any thoughts on The Virgin River Series? 62 600 Feb 06, 2020 10:35AM
Hello Gorgeous Bo...: The Characters 1 21 Feb 05, 2020 07:54PM

• Stealing Home (The Sweet Magnolias #1)
  • A Slice of Heaven (The Sweet Magnolias #2)
  • The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
  • Feels Like Family (The Sweet Magnolias #3)
  • Welcome to Serenity (The Sweet Magnolias #4)
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2)
  • Sugar Creek (Destiny, #2)
  • The Homecoming (Shelter Bay, #1)
  • Handsome Hotshot (Handsome Devils Book 5)
  • The Four Winds
  • Almost Perfect (Fool's Gold, #2)
  • Texas Cooking (Texas Hill Country #1)
  • Under Her Skin (Lone Star Sisters, #1)
  • Only Mine (Fool's Gold #4)
  • An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)
  • One Reckless Summer (Destiny, #1)
  • Like the Wind
  • The Perfect Match (Blue Heron, #2)
See top shelves…
Robyn Carr is a RITA® Award-winning, eleven-time #1 New York Times bestselling author of almost sixty novels, including the critically acclaimed Virgin River series. The fourth novel, THE BEST OF US, in her fan-favorite Sullivan's Crossing Series was released in Jan. 2019. Robyn's new women's fiction novel THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND, released in April 2019, deputed on four bestseller lists: The ...more

Virgin River (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2)
  • Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3)
  • A Virgin River Christmas (Virgin River, #4)
  • Second Chance Pass (Virgin River, #5)
  • Temptation Ridge (Virgin River, #6)
  • Paradise Valley (Virgin River, #7)
  • Forbidden Falls (Virgin River, #8)
  • Angel's Peak (Virgin River, #9)
  • Moonlight Road (Virgin River, #10)
  • Promise Canyon (Virgin River, #11)

News & Interviews

“He reached out and lightly touched her hair. There’s no way, he thought. I’m sunk. And my heart hasn’t beat the same since she walked into town.” 42 likes
“I just wanted to make you happy,” he said. “Are you happy?”
“I’ve been happy a couple of times. What can I do so that you can join me?”
He laced his fingers through hers and holding her hands, stretched her arms up above her head, holding them there. “Baby, you don’t have to do anything but be present.”
27 likes