Start by marking “Virgin River (Virgin River, #1)” as Want to Read:
Virgin River (Virgin River, #1)

Virgin River

(Virgin River #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  34,364 ratings  ·  2,863 reviews
A Netflix Original Series!

Welcome back to Virgin River with the book that started it all…

Wanted: Midwife/nurse practitioner in Virgin River, population six hundred. Make a difference against a backdrop of towering California redwoods and crystal clear rivers. Rent-free cabin included.

When the recently widowed Melinda Monroe sees this ad, she quickly decides that the remote
Mass Market Paperback, 386 pages
Published March 27th 2007 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Virgin River, please sign up.
Sara ♥ Technically the Grace Valley Trilogy comes before this one. You can read those first if you'd like. You see the characters from it in Book 1, so there…moreTechnically the Grace Valley Trilogy comes before this one. You can read those first if you'd like. You see the characters from it in Book 1, so there is a connection. I didn't read it first, and I was fine.

You should definitely read the books WITHIN the Virgin River series in order. There's a lot of overlap with characters from the beginning books appearing in later books, so you won't know who everyone is if you don't read in order.

And as I understand it, the Thunder Point series is an offshoot of this one. The hero of book 1 is a character that makes a brief appearance in one of the Virgin River books. I haven't read it yet though.(less)

·  34,364 ratings  ·  2,863 reviews

Start your review of Virgin River (Virgin River, #1)
Pamela
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
I flipping loved this book.

It's my first Robyn Carr book. I've read a lot of good things about her here on Goodreads and also on Amazon, and I ordered several of her books this spring, hoping to get some time to read them.

Recently widowed Melinda Monroe, a certified nurse midwife, decides that to move beyond her grief she must start her life again. She sells almost everything she owns and moves to Virgin River, a tiny town in the middle of the California forest. At first it seems the transition
Catherine
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Catherine by: Ally72
*sigh* I feel like the grump lurking in the corner, but I did not like this book. Which is shocking! This book has an extremely high average and every GR friend I have to date has given it at least a 4 star grade. It must have something going for it to have so many fans, but I just can't see it. :\

This was supposed to be a modern book, but it felt oddly dated. The heroine Mel, talks about Starbucks and $300 highlights so I know it's modern, but it also had a weirdly old school vibe going for it.
Shelly
Mar 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
First, I'm going to apologize in advance for my review. These are my thoughts, and I know I'm in the great minority of people who didn't like this book, but OMG I just can't stand it any freaking more! I'm going to warn you right now, if you love this series, DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER - this will probably offend.

This is by far the worst book I've ever listened to, possibly ever. I had no idea it was going to be so terrible, it's gotten so many great reviews and I thought at the very least it would
Shawna
Re-read/listened to the audiobook version Nov'19

Original read/rating/review:

5+ stars – Contemporary Romance

There’s not much that hasn’t already been said about this sweet, delightful, feel-good contemporary romance and for very good reason, and now I’m finally glad that I get what all the fuss is about.

Virgin River is a heartwarming story about a young, grieving widow whose spirit is rejuvenated and soul revived by working as a nurse and midwife in a quaint little country town called Virgin Rive
TheBibliotheque ♡
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I can't begin to believe myself but Netflix did it BETTER.
(???)
description
Mo
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my kindle for years ... saw it was coming out on Netflix and decided to start it. Was just going to read it first prior to watching it but, you know me, I have no willpower. So was reading it, watching it and also listening to the Audio - such a multitasker ... if only I could be so organised in my real life and not just my reading life!!

Jack was cute. An ex-Marine who moves to Virgin River after he finishes his service, for a peaceful life of fishing and bar-tending.

The se
Nicola
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

Grabbed this purely because I saw the Netflix promo for the series based on this and the male lead is the hot doc who wasn’t in Grey’s Anatomy long enough for my liking. Yes I’m that shallow.

Mixed bag but plenty of likeable characters so I’ll read the next one.
Eastofoz
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Hokey Americana. Never seen so many pregnant women in such a small area.
♥Rachel♥
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Brandie
Shelves: favorites, audio-book
4.5 Stars

Loved this! The rural setting of Virgin River: a secluded forest, simple life, and town folk that band together like a family was an absolute win for me. Mel got on my nerves a time or two, but I shouldn't really have been judgmental since she lost her husband only a year before. I completely LOVED and adored Jack. Oh my stars, every woman needs this man! Hunky, protective, just a total MAN!

I enjoyed the whole medical aspect of the story. Mel was a midwife/nurse practitioner and a lot
Kiki
Naksed
After her husband is murdered, a big city nurse removes herself to a podunk town lost in the Redwoods of California to continue her loveless, lifeless, empty existence away from well-meaning, prying eyes. Soon, she gets sucked in, just like this reader, into this unusual, quirky, wonderfully weird hideaway and its inhabitants including one sex-on-a-stick, delicious, muscly, tattooed, awesomeness personified ex-marine who runs the only bar in town.

It's like a Kristen Ashley story except with amaz
Jonetta
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. The romance between Mel and Jack progressed realistically and the sense of community in the town was enviable. Carr does an admirable job in creating a completely different value system that works. The conflicts presented are also normal and the appropriate timeline was used for resolution without dragging the reader through the pain of inevitability.

I'm invested in this series and am on to the second book.
Melike
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I wanted to read the book before watching the series on TV and I am so glad I did! So many lovable and charming characters, and that includes grumpy Doc. I adore small-town romances and this one definitely did not disappoint.
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 Virgin River - ★★★★

I am so thankful to the team at Mills & Boon for letting me a part of this amazing blog tour. It is an honour, and a pleasure! Click HERE to read the first chapter!

When recently widowed Melinda sees an advert for a midwife in the quiet town of Virgin River, she decides this is the perfect place to escape her heartache and to revitalise the nursing career she loves.

However, her dreams are shattered as soon as she
Pygmy
Oct 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
A generic "strong" female with "heart-shaped lips" and a fabulous figure + generic whitebread cleft-chin He-Man gentleman (even when hooking up!) with a soft spot for babies + a po-dunk town where nothing happens == boring book!

These people have no personality. Where's the humor? If not that, where's the intellectual intelligence? Or if not that, where's the sarcasm, the quirky attitudes, or some kind of color?? Or even if the characters were supposed to be ridiculously nice and laid-back, put t
jenjn79
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: Romance Series Lists group
It took me a while to get into this book. I think I was about halfway through before I started to really get into the story. That's probably partially because just before that I'd been reading a Lora Leigh book (so completely different) and also because the vibe of Virgin River is rather different than your typical romance novel.

This book is about people and life, the vagaries of small-town living, growing and healing, and, of course, love. Like the town it's set in, the pace of the book is on t
Amy
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Virgin River is a series that I’ve been planning to read forever and with the release of the show on Netflix I finally read the first book, and you guys I LOVED it! Totally fun small town romance with authentic, imperfect characters and so much humor and heart. You know how most of the time small town romances can be cheesy? That’s fine, I don’t even mind that but this one wasn’t like that at all, it even went a little dark and I’m here for that! 🙌🏻 I can’t wait to watch the series but I’m gonna ...more
Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist)
I love this small town setting to bits and I'm going to continue reading the series for this alone The romance on the other hand while sweet, dragged for me, and all the conflicts-that-really-weren't didn't thrill either. Also the heroine never really choose the Jack. He was willing to bend over backwards no matter how far or for how long, and she never evolved to the point were she could openly accept and return his love. Yup, they end up together... but only out of circumstance; and cheesy let ...more
Pam Nelson
5 Virgin River Stars

Melinda, recently widowed midwife needs to get out from the cloud of grief she is under. So when the opportunity comes along to move to a small town she takes her shot.

Jack a former U.S. Marine turned owner/co-owner of a bar/restaurant habitual playboy. Not ready to settle down. Take one look at Mel and he is sunk.

The book was so well written, I feel in love with this town these characters I don’t want to do anything but read!

This was a first for me by this author and it w
Jeannie
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
What a pleasant surprise! I don't usually read romance novels but I heard this was going to be made into a mini series on Netflix so I wanted to see what it was all about. I couldn't put it down, I loved it!
Duchess Nicole
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Duchess Nicole by: Alexis
I've had this on my shelf to read for what seems like forever. The ratings are outstanding for every single book in this now eighteen plus book series, and now I understand why.

The story is very slow moving but I never got bored. Life in Virgin River is easygoing...a small town atmoshphere in which everyone knows everyone and they're all there for each other. When Mel moves to Virgin River in a spur of the moment decision in answer to an add placed for a nurse, she is under-impressed at first.
Alla
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this first book in the Virgin River series.
It felt like watching a nice, old movie that takes place in an old, small mountain village/town, where everybody knows your name (kind of like my town :) )
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a good sweet story. Perfect for a weekend getaway read!
K.
Aug 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to K. by: MelissaB
”Virgin River” by Robyn Carr -- 3.5*

Modern Day Contemporary
Jack and Melinda

This book has been reviewed multiple times, so I’ll just relate my personal impressions rather than providing much of a synopsis. Quickly, Melinda is an L.A. physician’s assistant/midwife practicing in a major hospital who loses her husband, the love of her life, in an unexpected murder when he chances upon a convenience store robbery in progress. She moves to a small town seeking solace, anonymity from overly concerned a
KarenH
I'm a big fan of audiobooks; unfortunately, I've almost blown through audible.com's generously-sized romance collection completely. Recently, a ton of Stephanie Lauren's books were released on audio. Not being too familiar with her work, I listened to Devil's Bride and decided I would embark down that long Cynster road, knowing I'd have enough listening material for the next 6 months. However, 2 books into the series I was already feeling a restless urge to move on. Virgin River by Robyn Carr ca ...more
Srividya
I first met Robyn Carr a few years back when I stumbled upon her Virgin River series. It was a time when our daughter was diagnosed as being autistic and, needless to say, it was a traumatic time for us. We had just gotten her epilepsy under control and were very happy on her achieving her early milestones at the normal or even advanced rate and just couldn’t wrap our heads around this diagnosis. Nevertheless, she needed our support and strength and we dove right in and haven’t looked back. I wo ...more
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
Spoilers ahead

When her husband was murdered nurse practitioner Mel needed a new start, she answers an ad for a small town and set off for Virgin River.....only it's in no way the place she expected. Though Mel quickly becomes friends with Jack she has no plans to stay but small town life slowly eases the emptiness inside her and much to her surprise she slowly starts falling for Jack

Jack is a former marine who now runs the town's bar and restaurant, while he's attracted to Mel he knows she doesn
Holly
Oct 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: robyn-carr
Melinda Monroe is tired of the heartache, tired of the sympathy, and most of all, tired of living in a home where memories of her once happy future constantly assail her. All but dead inside with grief over the death of her husband, Mel discovers a job opportunity in the charming and idyllic town of Virgin River, up in the untouched splendor of Northern California. Although her sister pleads with her that running away to some mountain region backwater will not solve her problems, Mel packs up he ...more
WhatIReallyRead
I loved this one!

A contemporary romance set in a set in a small town. It's not the Jill Shalvis kind of small town with rainbows and unicorns. This small town has poverty and unemployment issues, it is populated by real people with real problems.

I really liked both of the main characters. Mel needs a change in her life after a tragedy. I love that she had a happy backstory, an actual personality that underwent a change under new circumstances, and how dedicated she was to her career. I love it
Anita
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance, ah romance. I love a good romance and this one is very, very good. Most end up mired in angst, not a problem here. Others are victim of the martyr, not here, even though the heroine has a tragic story. I can't come up with a single cliché that this romance has. It has some deep issues, but not to deep. There are no times that I am tempted to skim read, no passages that repeat endlessly throughout the book. Just a really sweet love story.

Melinda Monroe a certified midwife/nurse practitio
J.D. Robb : Virgin River Series - Netflix 88 97 Aug 15, 2020 01:21PM
Nancy Gideon By M...: Virgin River Series by Robyn Carr Buddy Read - Jan. 2019 278 22 Jun 27, 2020 03:52AM
Hello Gorgeous Bo...: Virgin River 11 56 Feb 27, 2020 07:20PM
Any thoughts on The Virgin River Series? 62 586 Feb 06, 2020 10:35AM
Hello Gorgeous Bo...: The Characters 1 19 Feb 05, 2020 07:54PM
Looking for similar authors 3 50 Dec 12, 2017 02:45AM

• Stealing Home (The Sweet Magnolias #1)
  • A Slice of Heaven (The Sweet Magnolias #2)
  • Feels Like Family (The Sweet Magnolias #3)
  • Welcome to Serenity (The Sweet Magnolias #4)
  • True to Me (By the Sea)
  • That Holiday Feeling (Virgin River, #7.5; Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Sugar Creek (Destiny, #2)
  • The Homecoming (Shelter Bay, #1)
  • Handsome Hotshot (Handsome Devils Book 5)
  • Almost Perfect (Fool's Gold, #2)
  • Texas Cooking (Texas Hill Country #1)
  • Under Her Skin (Lone Star Sisters, #1)
  • Only Mine (Fool's Gold #4)
  • One Reckless Summer (Destiny, #1)
  • Home in Carolina (The Sweet Magnolias #5)
  • Like the Wind
  • Robyn Carr Virgin River Series Reading Order Checklist
  • The Perfect Match (Blue Heron, #2)
Robyn Carr is a RITA® Award-winning, eleven-time #1 New York Times bestselling author of almost sixty novels, including the critically acclaimed Virgin River series. The fourth novel, THE BEST OF US, in her fan-favorite Sullivan's Crossing Series was released in Jan. 2019. Robyn's new women's fiction novel THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND, released in April 2019, deputed on four bestseller lists: The ...more

Virgin River (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2)
  • Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3)
  • A Virgin River Christmas (Virgin River, #4)
  • Second Chance Pass (Virgin River, #5)
  • Temptation Ridge (Virgin River, #6)
  • Paradise Valley (Virgin River, #7)
  • Forbidden Falls (Virgin River, #8)
  • Angel's Peak (Virgin River, #9)
  • Moonlight Road (Virgin River, #10)
  • Promise Canyon (Virgin River, #11)