Start by marking “Hildie at the Ghost Shore” as Want to Read:
Hildie at the Ghost Shore

Hildie at the Ghost Shore

We are in Old Belgium. Hildie the lace maker, mistress of Runecraft, knows the secret spells of the runes from the wind-god Odin. When a mysterious old sailor visits her attic workroom, he requests a reading. Hildie agrees. During the casting of the runes, Hildie conjures the Ship of the Dead, Loki the trickster, and flame-eyed ravens. Who will survive this adventure in a ...more
ebook
Published August 23rd 2013 by Smashwords (first published May 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hildie at the Ghost Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hildie at the Ghost Shore

Start your review of Hildie at the Ghost Shore
Werner
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who want something unusual
Note, March 6, 2016: I just edited this to correct three typos. Wow, I thought I'd proofread it the first time!

This short e-story, written by one of my Goodreads friends, is one I picked up when it was offered for free. Originally, I'd proposed to review it a few days ago. But the review proved challenging to write; it's a tale with a great deal of ambiguity and many unanswered questions. Eventually, I read it a second time, with the benefit of some gracious explanation by the author as to the u
Nadine
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cappa combines magical storytelling with historical and supernatural elements to show you the story of rune-reader Hildie as she reads the fortune of a mysterious visitor.

The tale of Hildie at the Ghost Shore is revealed to readers at a leisurely pace, laced with evocative descriptions of the heroine's surroundings. While the start is somewhat slow for a 2,000-word story, it allows you to feel the magic surrounding Hildie and her little corner overlooking the Ghost Shore.

The most positive aspect
Teri
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Before reading this story, grab your favorite beverage of choice, cup of tea, glass of wine, etc., go to your most comfortable reading spot, and give this short story your full attention. I love how the reader is gradually introduced and drawn into Hildie's world. The writing is beautiful and so descriptive I felt as if I were with Hildie, standing beside her, seeing her surroundings in person.

I haven't read much about runes, so that part of the story was especially interesting to me, as was the
Brittany Buchanan
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this short story. Norse mythology and rune magic all in one! I would like to see this in full novel form. There are many good aspects in this story. Recommending to everyone.
L.C.
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a story calls to a deep place in you: it inspires & wows the senses, throws you a curve ball, gives you something to sink your teeth into, and makes you want to read the wondrous, wild & evocative story again and again. That is exactly the kind of writing Paula Cappa delivers in Hildie at the Ghost Shore. Her style reminds me of Margaret Atwood who is always in control of her voice, pacing & masterful vibe. Paula Cappa weaves her web with precision and purpose. I never had a doubt, fro ...more
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)

I was gifted a copy of this short story by the author in exchange for an honest review. I made no guarantee of a favorable review.

This short story was a deeply, powerful and meaningful story of the human heart and the capacity of the love it holds told via the use of Norse mythology. It was well written and I certainly did not see what was coming. I love a story that makes me cry upon revealing its most intimate secret. This is truly a must read.
Sheila Carsins
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More poetic than simple story.

Although these are very short for both stories, it takes me to a different time and place-- Scandinavian, Nordic, Greenland, Viking territories--somewhere otherworldly, someplace other than here. The characters are interesting, the landscapes forbidding, and each story has a dash of beliefs in ancient God's and Times, told as if they are a foregone conclusion, completely believed, and accepted by the characters. Well-written.
Amy Freese
Maybe too short, lol

For a moment I felt transported back to Jr High School English class. Remember the old Reading book with all the short stories and mini quizzes at the end? That's what this eBook felt like. With me, that's a compliment.
Well written, imagery comes across nicely. It could easily continue.
Seth Tucker
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classically-styled ghost story that evokes the traditional customs of Denmark. The bonus story was also very good and an added bonus to this charming tale.
Jeanine
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely story, beautifully written.
Madelon
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Hildie at the Ghost Shore" is a beautifully and cleverly written bit of fantasy and Norse mythology that teases the senses and sensibility to believe one thing while leading to a very different ending than you might expect. I am increasingly delighted to read the works of Paula Cappa because one piece does not predict another. Her ideas are fresh and her voice varied. Her consistency lies in her ability to write elegant and readable prose.

I really hate to provide spoilers, so all I will say is
P.S. Winn
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hildie is not an ordinary person and has the ability to "read" others, readers are going to be a party to one of those readings. I found this short story well written and the author has a gift in bringing pictures to the mind with her words. Great job, although wish the story would have been a bit longer.. ...more
TL
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting story but never fully connected to it.

Writing : 3 stars
yavon
Jul 27, 2017
Susan Barton
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author's writing is wonderfully descriptive. She skillfully sets the stage for a well told, old-fashioned ghost story.

I enjoyed this super short book. It was a great way for me to get to know the author and her writing style. I'd certainly be willing to download more of her books after having read Hildie at the Ghost Store. A great haunting tale!
Kim
Nancy
Mar 31, 2020
Lisa
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting short story about an old sailor who goes to get his runes read.
Victoria Randall
Dec 30, 2015
Timothy Coplin
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, shorts
Thick with Norse mythology, I have no idea what I just read. To those who know their mythology, this may be an entertaining and rewarding read. But to the uninformed, this work offers little more than the passage of time.
Kimberly Buhrer
rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2017
Making Connections: 3828. HILDIE AT THE GHOST SHORE by Paula Cappa 2 8 Jun 08, 2015 04:30AM
Paula Cappa is the recipient of a Chanticleer Book Award and American Book Fest’s Best Books Award Finalist for her novel Greylock. She also earned the prestigious Eric Hoffer Book Award, the Readers' Favorite International Bronze Medal for Supernatural Suspense, and is a Gothic Readers Book Club Award Winner in Outstanding Fiction. She is the author of Greylock, The Dazzling Darkness, and Night S ...more