Start by marking “Hello, I Love You” as Want to Read:
Hello, I Love You

Hello, I Love You

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  2,949 Ratings  ·  579 Reviews
A teen escapes to a boarding school abroad and falls for a Korean pop star in this fun and fresh romantic novel in the vein of Anna and the French Kiss.

Grace Wilde is running—from the multi-million dollar mansion her record producer father bought, the famous older brother who’s topped the country music charts five years in a row, and the mother who blames her for her broth
Published June 9th 2015 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Hello, I Love You, please sign up.
CapesandCovers As of right now there's no plans for a sequel, but if you look at the author's website she gives a look into what the characters' futures are. It is…moreAs of right now there's no plans for a sequel, but if you look at the author's website she gives a look into what the characters' futures are. It is definitely spoiler-y though, so make sure that you read the book first or don't care.(less)
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
442 books — 3,368 voters
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny HanThe Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie WestAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenSaint Anything by Sarah DessenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga
2015 Contemporary YA
256 books — 1,359 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
He’s the hottest Korean I’ve ever seen.

Not that I have much experience with Koreans, but all the ones I’ve encountered couldn’t even be considered in the same realm as Sophie’s brother.

This is not a book for k-pop lovers. It is a book about a superior, condescending American and how she spreads her knowledge to the poor ignorant K-pop star.
“She doesn’t play any instrument,” Yoon Jae provides. “She just knows everything about music.”

“That’s not true,” I say. But I can’t help smiling at his bli
Rose
Initial reaction:

I'll say this though, in some meditation: I understand that Grace is a young woman who's pretty much a fish out of water in the country of Korea, escaping a really heavy burden that she carries with her from the States, but I do not, I seriously DO NOT, understand her cultural intolerance and put downs of Korean culture and people in this book. It's inexcusable. There's a part of me that wants to think the author intended this to be a flaw of the character, but there are other r
Lola
3 1/2 stars.

Hello, I Love You is probably the most improbable young adult contemporary romance novel that I have read this year. YET, it is also lovely and the type of book that will make you dream of a one-in-a-million relationship with someone.

It’s funny how rich people can get whatever they want, whenever they want. Wealthy producer daughter Grace Wilde impulsively and unexpectedly decides to transfer to a Korean high school to get away… to escape from an overwhelming life at being known prac
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Fair warning: The word "fuck" and other variations will be used constantly in this review. It's necessary, thank you.

I have never, in my entire reading career (humor me, okay?), wanted to reach into a book to strangle a main character as much as I wanted to with this one. Considering my angry girl personality, that's really saying something.

Grace stood out. In the worst fucking way possible.

So for example, you want to leave your country to attend school elsewhere. Obviously, if you're a normal
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Hello, I hate you. Goodbye. *slams door in book's face*

If you want a novel with (a proper representation of) Korean culture mixed with ultimate cuteness and likeable characters, I suggest you turn around and leave right now. Why? Because this has none of that. Sure, there are a few cute moments... but then the book takes it a step too far which results it coming off as cheesy and cliche. However, the main reason of this was because of how unlikeable the main
Danielle (Love at First Page)
DNF @ 20% + some skimming.

The main character is an embarrassment. I was cringing all over the place.
She travels to South Korea of her own volition (because she wants to run away, and it was the first country that popped up on a Google search for international schooling), yet is ill-equipped for even the slightest cultural differences. She didn't bother to learn anything about her new home. What else? Let me count the ways.
She is judgmental.
She is ungracious.
She is a music snob.
She is hypocritic
Pat
Feb 09, 2014 marked it as to-read
DID SOMEBODY MENTION K-POP???????

Aj the Ravenous Reader

I did see Goodreads’ average rating for the book but that did not stop me from reading it because the cover is just too cute and considering that I already have the book on hand, I thought why not just read it? Whilst I wasn’t completing regretting that decision, the book didn’t really do anything much for me. At best, it was a cute, but generally just okay read.

I recognize that this is Ms. Katie Stout’s debut novel and for that, I do think she deserves a certain amount of acknowledgement especi
Vanessa J.
Brace yourselves because this is going to be a long review.

I read this book for one reason and one reason alone: The controversy it's causing. Not because at the beginning (a couple of months ago, before the reviews started to appear) it seemed like a diverse book, or because the synopsis intrigued me (please, you know I hate to read romance). So now I'm going to review it in two parts: One is the “actual” review, and the other is a list of quotes and what I have to say about them.

Part 1: Review
Faye, la Patata
Jun 04, 2015 marked it as will-not-read
A white American girl goes to Korea because it popped first in her Google search for international boarding school and disses every aspect of its culture?

Not only is this book inconsistent with its facts, it is apparently offensive as well.

It even got a negative Kirkus review. Faaaail. FAAAAAAAIL.

I may not have loved Ink by Amanda Sun (American girl arriving in Japan), but read that instead. At least that one respects the host country's culture.
Daiane
It could have been awesome.
Well...
It wasn't...

Clair
Dec 17, 2014 marked it as to-read
I can already imagine a scenario in this book.

JASON: "I... I can't let it be known that we're dating. The sasaeng fans. The sasaeng fans. "

*cue high speed sasaeng taxi chase scene later in the book when it's revealed that our heroine is dating their precious Jason-oppa*
shady boots | #WatchPOSE

Gurl. This sounds to me like it's specifically made to fulfill the fantasies of certain hormonal young K-POP fans. But, I suppose I could give it the benefit of the doubt. Ish.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Feb 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This book sounded so promising! It has been compared to Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins except set in Korea and features a hot KPOP star! UMM SIGN ME UP! But unfortunately, I was really disappointed with this book. The idea was so great and had just enough originality to separate itself from Anna and the French Kiss, but essentially, a quite few things let it down for me.
Firstly, I found the main character to be EXTREMELY unlikeable. She was rude, really nosey, judgmental, a little
Giselle
Jan 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
A sweet, feel-good kind of read, Hello, I Love You transported me to Korea with its highly descriptive and atmospheric writing.

I had a good time reading this novel, the romance is cute and full of chemistry, buuuut (you knew it was coming) the hot and cold nature of their relationship for a good 90% of the book does get frustrating. Even though Grace ends up having a reason behind her inability to trust and open up her heart, I couldn't help but find myself annoyed at her sudden bursts of coldn
Morel Dei
Dec 17, 2014 marked it as to-read
This better be as legendary as the K-Pop adventures of the one and only Park Sakura Lopez... or I ain't even gonna bother!

description

The fan culture in Korea is crazy, so how would they even manage to date and all those jazz with Dispatch paps and sasaeng fans (possibly)around? The dude's said to be extremely famous, so stalker fans are bound to exist.
And most important of all: Is Jason supposed to be the guy's idol name as well? It's so basic like T.O.P's supposed stage name, Mark. lol
Brittain *The Baddest Female*

ARC received in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley.

If you know me, you know I love KPop. And I was so flipping pumped when I got approved for this book. But then the negative reviews started and I got a little bit apprehensive about it. But I charged ahead and I read this book anyways. Let's just say that the negative reviews are well deserved.

I'm just going to come out and say it: Grace is a ridiculous spoiled brat of a bitch. She's blonde, skinny, pretty, and is a princess in the musi
Elaine
Sep 14, 2013 marked it as nope
K-Pop. In. YA.

When fandoms collide.
I'll be keeping a close eye on this one with my fingers crossed.
Wart Hill
Mar 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc2015, gave-up
Things I Find While Shelving

I received a free ARC via NetGalley

DNF at 68%

I know. I made it pretty far. Don't ask me how because I spent most of what I read of this book just wishing it would end already because I really didn't care.

Our intrepid main character, Grace, wanted to get away from family drama so she google searches international boarding schools and apparently the first one that crops up is on Ganghwa Island in Korea. Or so she says. The first one I find when I search is in the UK and
Jess
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gimme-2015-k
On one hand, it's an addictive book for a fan of kpop, I suppose. On the other, I am severely insulted. Consider me fuming and watch this space for an in-depth review.

description

THIS IS DIFFERENT AND I WANT. It's like a homage to my kpop loving days.
Mary
"I'm guessing that if you guys are famous like Sophie said, it's mostly based on pretty faces instead of actual quality of music."

My rage would not stop me from turning the pages so that I could write my thoughts. Please excuse any grammatical errors-my mind can't even think right now it's so bad.

If you love Kpop, other cultures, hate racist characters, and want a very well done book about a girl who moves to Korea and gets involved with a hot guy and the Kpop industry...please look elsewhere. I
Alexa
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was ok

I flew through this, which I mostly attribute to my being in the mood for a fluffy, uncomplicated contemporary like this. Technically, I really shouldn't have liked this because it was peppered with almost every cliché in the book but somehow, I ended up quite enjoying it. Sure, it was really silly most of the time, but I needed something like this. Yes, it was also quite problematic because of its, again, heteronormativity and most of all, its white superiority complex, but I'm willing
Nara
So the first thing you need to know before I get into this review is that I'm a Korean. I speak Korean at home, and although I live in Australia, I've visited South Korea several times.

The second thing you need to know is that if you want to know more about Korea, this book should not be your source of information. To be frank, a lot of it is just plain wrong. Let me show you some examples of this complete ignorance of Korean culture.

It surprises me what foods I crave when all I get is rice and
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

The only reason this book wasn't a nightmare for me was because it was strangely addictive and it was more comically bad (in my opinion), than rage-worthy bad.

Grace is a young, rich, privileged, lady who chose to go to a boarding school in South Korea because she wants to get away from home. Then she proceeds to complain about all the things in Korea that are not up to her standards and how she misses home. Now, I understand cultural shock.
Janday
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: not anyone really.
Recommended to Janday by: Helen
Kath S
Dec 26, 2014 marked it as lost-interest
Estaba tan emocionada por este libro...

(view spoiler)

Pero ya no.

Hello, I Love You by Katie M. Stout seems coldly calculated to offend and insult. It is racist, poorly written, and inexplicably plotted. Its understanding of Korea seems to be derived from watching Boys Over Flowers and like, two Kpop videos.

Reseña de Beyond Hallyu

Todas las reseñas de este libro me dicen que me aleje de él, y creo que por primera vez esta vez les haré caso.

Nope.

Molly

Rating 1.5

White girl from Nashville moves to South Korea, meets the lead singer of a popular K-pop band and falls in love...

Hmph, ... cute love story ... exploring cultural diversity?

You. Wish.

Reading the short blurb for this book, are you thinking of picking it up because:

a) You want some shallow fluffy read.

b) You read the story unfolds in South Korea, and you'd love to know more about it's culture.

c) You love Korean culture, you watch a lot of Korean dramas and movies, you listen a lot of K-
Yodamom
Finished :D 4.4 stars <3

A romantic pop star fantasy with a heartbreaking splash of drama that just happens to happen in Korea.
How is it that a semi-celebrity country girl from Nashville ends up in South Korea, at a remote boarding school when she doesn’t have any real knowledge/interest of the country or it’s customs? Grace’s running away from the shadows of her family and South Korea was the first and farthest from home she could find. To say her family relationship is strained is an underst
Chelsey the crazy cat lady
My heart is so happy after reading this book. I loved seeing Grace and Jason's relationship grow from not being able to stand each other to love. There were times I was frustrates at Grace cos I just wanted to get with Jason but that ending and how he proves his love for her was too cute! I loved this book and would highly recommend
YA Buddy Readers'...: Hello, I Love You by Katie Stout-Starting 23rd May 28 44 May 23, 2015 07:52PM
K-Pop And Korean ...: Kpop in American YA 12 259 Jan 09, 2015 02:05PM
  • When I Wake
  • Like It Never Happened
  • I Am Her Revenge
  • Scarlett Undercover
  • Alive
  • Tunnel Vision (Tunnel Vision, #1)
  • Endangered
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • Breakaway
  • Dream Things True
  • The Trouble with Destiny
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters (Grimbaud, #1)
  • Hold Me Like a Breath (Once Upon a Crime Family, #1)
  • Anne & Henry