Start by marking “A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)

A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)

This is an adaptation, containing 6 stories; for the original story, see A Scandal in Bohemia

A Scandal in Bohemia is collection of six short stories featuring the great detective Sherlock Holmes and his friend Dr Watson. From shopkeepers to kings, everyone wants the help of Sherlock Holmes, but can he solve these mysteries?
Published February 16th 2000 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company (first published June 25th 1891)

To ask other readers questions about A Scandal in Bohemia, please sign up.
Diane No, this is the original text by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. 'A Scandal in Bohemia' is the first short story in the collection published as 'The Adventure…moreNo, this is the original text by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. 'A Scandal in Bohemia' is the first short story in the collection published as 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes'. It is the third insallment of the Holmes-Saga after the full-length novels 'A Study in Scarlet' and 'The Sign of Four'.(less)
Milo Paulus The stories from these Sherlock Holmes collections are mostly really similar to the TV show, though I would always recommend someone experiencing Cona…moreThe stories from these Sherlock Holmes collections are mostly really similar to the TV show, though I would always recommend someone experiencing Conan Doyle's magnificent prose.(less)

Start your review of A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)
Bionic Jean
“To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name.”

So begins the very first story in the very first collection of stories about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional detective with a phenomenal brain, Sherlock Holmes. A Scandal in Bohemia was originally published in "The Strand Magazine" in 1891, and altogether Arthur Conan Doyle ended up writing 56 short stories about his most popular invented character. It was not the world's introduction to the
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
“You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear."
description

I'm gradually making my way through the Sherlock Holmes stories collected in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which you can download free here at Gutenberg.org. This one is the story of The Woman.

description
To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. ... And ye
Buggy
Opening line: “To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex.”

Well this was a surprise; the classics and especially mysteries are not my usual fare but due to my recent obsession with the BBC series Sherlock (How yummy is Benedict Cumberbatch) and then watching Downey and Jude Law in the movie Game Of Shadows I realized that I had never actually read any of Conan Doyle’s stories
Tuqa
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: روايات
Although I heard about sherlock holmes too much, but this is my first read about him.
The story was about a king who asked help from sherlock and his friend to protect his reputation, and to prevent a scandal from happening.
honestly I expected that I'll be amazed by Sherlock's intelligence, but the roles were reversed.
anyway, it was a good story, worth reading, I enjoyed it and I finished it with pleasure.
Anne
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
More like 3.5/5 S*T*A*R*S really.
The stage lost a fine actor, even as science lost an acute reasoner, when he became a specialist in crime.

It seems to me that Mr. Holmes is an exceptional crime investigator. And more than that. He's a character I'll be most delighted to make an acquaintance with. It's clear that the skills he displays in this book are only basic to his character, it feels like there's more. For this investigative episode, Mr. Holmes is contacted by a sketchy characte
Traveller
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1001-books
This is a very interesting article with some background on Conan Doyle and Sherlock:

I quote from the article:

Wearing his now-iconic hat, clamping a pipe between his teeth, Sherlock Holmes endures as the very definition of deductive reasoning. His encyclopedic knowledge and diamond-sharp observation skills make him a larger-than-life figure that continues to fascinate audiences on both the small and big screens.

Originally penned by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, a
emma
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
irene adler is. a. baller.
i'd rather read a series of books about her, personally.
Jason Koivu
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Holmes done over by a bird?! Certainly the man is not at his tip-top form and neither is this story, but it's a good one, perhaps for its contemporary pathos. Holmes for once seems fallible, almost human. Not only does he slip up, he also falls for a woman. No, it's not Doyle's best bit of writing, but for the sake of posterity, it might be the best thing he ever did for his Sherlock Holmes series. ...more
Prerna
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Scandal in Bohemia, the first story from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes was a splendid introduction to the tales of Sherlock Holmes to me.

Nothing seems to miss the keen eye of the master of deduction, Sherlock Holmes. He, along with his companion Watson who is the narrator and also who has recently been married, take over the case of the plight of the Bohemian king.

"You see but you do not observe, the distinction is clear"

I found many such witty lines and good obs
Brooklyn Tayla
A perfect little re read to welcome myself back into Conan Doyle's world. ...more
Niko
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A scandal in Bohemia is a short yet entertaining adventure of no other than the greatest sleuth of fiction history, Sherlock Holmes.In this case, Holmes is once again accompanied by his Boswell, partner and trusted friend, Dr. John Watson. But this time, Dr. Watson is already married to Mary Morstan allowing changes to their "flatmate" relationship in Baker street. They were approached by an anonymous masked client who turns out to be Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein, the great Duke of ...more
Crime Addict Sifat
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it
While the right now wedded Dr. Watson is visiting Holmes, a guest arrives, presenting himself as Count Von Kramm, an operator for a rich customer. In any case, Holmes rapidly reasons that he is in actuality Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein, Grand Duke of Cassel-Felstein and the inherited King of Bohemia. Acknowledging Holmes has seen through his pretense, the King concedes this and detaches his cover.

It unfolds that the King is to wind up noticeably drew in to Clotilde Lothman von Saxe
DJ
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"A Scandal in Bohemia" is the first story in the The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes story collection, the third publication in the Sherlock Holmes series (after the first two novels, so the first story collection).

The King of Bohemia hires Holmes to retrieve an incriminating photograph his ex-mistress is threatening him with.

One of the absolute classics, and featuring the infamous Irene Adler. A great starting point and introduction to the Sherlock Holmes stories.
"A Scandal in Bohemia" was the first of Arthur Conan Doyle's 56 Sherlock Holmes short stories to be published in The Strand Magazine and the first Sherlock Holmes story illustrated by Sidney Paget. (Two of the four Sherlock Holmes novels -- A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of the Four -- preceded the short story cycle). Doyle ranked "A Scandal in Bohemia" fifth in his list of his twelve favourite Holmes stories.

A movie was made based on this book and it's available at YouTube.
Gieliza
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
3.5 stars!
Jason Donoghue
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
Truly an enjoyable read, I would recommend it. I find Holmes a character like no other
Fabian {Councillor}
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Doyle’s novels on the incomparable and inimitable Sherlock Holmes are presumably some of the most significant detective stories ever written, drawing a perfectly unique and charismatic character with a lot of recognition value, accompanied by Watson, the everyman commenting on Sherlock’s ways of behaviour with observations and comments of his own. I’ve only read one of them so far before deciding to download the „Adventures of Sherlock Holmes“, a collection of twelve different short stories, whi ...more
Jaksen
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read many of the Sherlock stories as a teenager and am now revisiting them. I am reading them in an annotated version, one which gives explanations of the times, English phrases, the difference between broughams, hansoms and landaus, etc. It's an interesting read as well as a fascinating quick one. All the elements are there, Watson and his piquant observations of the even more-piquant Holmes, his strengths, his eccentricities, his ability to uniquely deduce the most minute of characteristics ...more
Cintia
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THE GAME IS ON

Excellent!!
I must say, if it has Sherlock Holmes on it, the book is, hands down, good. I had read this one a long time ago, and this time was actually a re-read. In the meantime, of course, I watched BBC "Sherlock", and, by the way, the episode based on this story is really awesome (the whole show is).

I think the point of this story is to say that Sherlock isn't, after all, entirely foolproof. He's smart, and we all know what he can know with only looking at something/someone. But
Krystal
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was, quite naturally, the first Sherlock Holmes story I ever read, and I was so confused by Irene, thinking I'd somehow missed a preceding story. Kind of fell into the narrative anyway, and it didn't matter that I couldn't quite figure out some of the details.

This is one of the more well-known of the Holmes collection because it's unique, and because it introduces us to some rather important characters. It easily cemented my love for this eccentric detective and I quickly devoured the rest
Brian
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved reading Sherlock Holmes when I was a kid. I remember this arch villain named Moriarty who fell off a cliff and haunted him. I also remember giant mastiffs and a lot of fog. It's going to be fun to be reacquainted. This first short is really cool. His skills are introduced and he gets ousted by a girl. ...more
Aishu Rehman
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ar-conan-doyle
So amazing, interesting events, I like intelligent women who beat the genius of Holmes, and this woman was able to trick Holmes before he got to the picture which it wants the king before he exposes in his marriage because of it , The most important there is nothing better than a subtle women.
Peter
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A typical Sherlock Holmes story. Mysterious entree and then a fine denouement with a little trick and help from Dr Watson. Quick and funny read. For fans and persons who want to become so. Enjoyable!
Jocelyn
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amanda
I've made a terrible mistake. Sherlock Holmes may very well be my favorite person to ever exist. I'm obsessed with the TV show, I'm obsessed with the books, and I'm overall OBSESSED with Sherlock Holmes. I can't go back. What choice do I have but to read all fifty two pieces of literature about Sherlock Holmes? RTC!

--------–---------------------------------------------------------------------

Review can also be found on my blog, Lacey Paris Books(link in my bio!)

I've become obsessed with Sherloc
Ashrakat Deyab
YES!! And my new favorite character is... Irene Adler! Which is a surprise since I hated her in the series. But yes, FINALLY, someone's able to beat Sherlock Holmes and it's a woman! Go go feminists! xD And can I just say that it is such a great thing that a story like this was written in a time when women still didn't have their full rights? So, Mr. Arthur Conan Doyle, you have my respect. Plus, this specific story was mostly comic relief so it was a very light and enjoyable read.

Favorite quote
Arun
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
No reviews required. Its Sherlock holmes.
Dorian
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
While this ended up being anti climatic, I did enjoy how the reason it didn’t work out was because a woman was more clever than Sherlock was!
Robbie Yates
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Concerning moral greyness, the coolest Sherlock Holmes character (who only appeared in one short story), and the 19th century version of a dick pic.
Matt
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sherlock slam dunking the king without him even noticing is so great.
Sherlock Holmes D...: Discussion Questions - A Scandal in Bohemia 5 10 Aug 28, 2020 09:49PM
Sherlock Holmes D...: Granada Holmes: A Scandal in Bohemia 1 3 Aug 14, 2020 12:50PM
Goodreads Librari...: A Scandal in Bohemia 5 21 May 11, 2017 05:24PM
Everything Nerdy ...: A Scandal in Bohemia discussion 14 35 Jan 18, 2014 01:01AM
The Sherlockians!: A Scandal in Bohemia 1 15 Jul 28, 2013 01:58PM
Baker Street Irre...: Irene Adler 4 63 Jan 16, 2013 11:13AM

• The Red-Headed League - a Sherlock Holmes Short Story (Sherlock Holmes)
  • A Case of Identity - a Sherlock Holmes Short Story (Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Boscombe Valley Mystery - a Sherlock Holmes Short Story
  • The Five Orange Pips (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Man with the Twisted Lip (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #10)
  • The Speckled Band
  • Der Daumen des Ingenieurs (Sherlock Holmes #56)
  • The Adventure of the Copper Beeches (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #12)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)
  • The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes #11)
  • Silver Blaze (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Adventure of the Yellow Face (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventure of the Stockbroker's Clerk (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Adventure of the Speckled Band