Start by marking “Phantasy” as Want to Read:
Phantasy

Phantasy

Story about a disgruntled young man who begins to therapeutically write and in the process, creates a fantasy world where, he ends up creating a monster which seems to be totally indestructible!

--------

LONG DESCRIPTION:

Fired from his job, dumped by his girlfriend and shoved around by the world, a young, lazy, day-dreamer takes refuge in his world of dreams and fantasies, a
Published September 1st 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Phantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phantasy

Sue Taylor
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Challenging Read.
A unique read challenging in places, but well worth persevering. There is a fair bit of explicit language but the author had the courtesy to for warn
The book is intriguing but you need to stay focussed or you can easily get lost to what is real. The formatting took a while to get used to, but once I got into the flow I ceased to notice it.
The storyline is clever and takes you into the mind of a young man battling with anger. We get to eavesdrop on the crazy chatter inside his
L.K. Evans
Nov 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-my-style-dnf
As always, I’ll start my review with a few notes and disclaimers.

I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.
This book is not within my preferred genre. To the author’s credit, I explained this and Marlowe still sought an honest opinion. I have huge respect for an author that seeks criticism and honest reviews.
I did not finish the book. I made it a quarter of the way through before I decided I could not finish it. I offered to forgo the review, but the author requested I go ahead
Stephanie
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adult
I was a little intimidated by this book at first. When I opened the book and the beginning tells you how to read it, that was a bit weird. I proceeded to read, and I actually appreciated how the book was written. The way in which the book is written is like a play/story/journal. When you see a story like this at first all you think of is how jumbled and scattered everything is. But because it was written the way it was, it is quite easy to understand.

I immediately felt for the guy when he wakes
Andrew
Jun 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Full and Uncensored review can be found here:

The first thing that got under my skin is the (long) description itself (where paragraph two is the short description; shown above and earlier in the review). I am compelled to rewrite it to where it makes some sort of sense grammar wise, and here is MY Revision:

Fired from his job, dumped by his girlfriend, and shoved around by the world, a young, lazy day-dreamer takes refuge in his world of dreams and fant
Y. Correa
Jun 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose it's important to start this review with a few notes and disclaimers. They are as follows:

1) This book was submitted to The Review Board, an organization to which I belong, for an honest review. I offered to read it along with a group of colleagues and provide an honest review.

2) In all of my years, I've done LOTS of reading. I've read books of ALL kinds, both good and not so good. And while I've disliked some (mostly in recent years), I've never LOATHED a book like I have this one.

Queen Spades
May 22, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: peasantville

I was given this book in exchange for an HONEST review. (This is the abbreviated review: full review found on The Review Board website)

Warning: Even though this may have slight spoilers, it doesn’t matter because the construction is a hodgepodge of horror.

When it comes to something being out the box, it tends to be something I gravitate towards. One of the main things I look for is something that is original yet entertaining. Although I was not originally assigned to this work, it had a few unor
Darlene
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Recommended to Darlene by: Marlowe, Sr
Shelves: first-reads
I received a ARC e-book smashword 's from the in exchange for an honest review. This is my honest review of " Phantasy" . First let me say this, I read this book several months ago , but I never did write this review like I thought I did. So for that I am truly sorry.
Now, let me say this - as this author states- You have to step out of your christian or anti-christian shoes to read this book. You have to read this book with a truly open mind. If you don't then you will not understand at all what
Dormaine G.
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
First I want to say I received a free copy of this this book for an honest review.

Normally this book is not one I would read but there is nothing wrong with stepping outside your comfort zone of normalcy.

At first it took me a minute to pick up on the flow of the book but as I continued to read, the flow and technique became apparent. I was a little annoyed with the main character and his lack of taking ownership of his actions. I like a character that takes charge or is somewhat aggressive but
Renee
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've always been a big fan of Tom Robbins (Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas; Still Life with Woodpecker; Another Roadside Attraction) but never found anyone who quite had his way with words and quirky phrases. That is, until I discovered Marlowe and PHANTASY. If you want a fun read that you can't put down, get a copy of this book and escape into the madcap world of PHANTASY.
April
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was confusing from the get go. I never understood anything other than some kid ranting about how bad his life was. Whom ever proofread this book needs to be fired there are so many typos it was unreal and if they were not typos well you get the gist of it. I do not like giving bad reviews so I will say maybe somewhere I missed something!
Harmony Kent
May 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by Harmony Kent
On behalf of The Review Board

PHANTASY
BY MARLOWE

Ficiton

This is basically a story about a young man who is unhappy. He hates his job. He hates his life. He is angry and disillusioned. So, what does he do about it? He creates fantasies, of course. Oh, he is also lazy and self-centred.
Perhaps the clearest picture I can give about this book is to start by copying and pasting the last paragraph from the book blurb: … “He has started created a world of his own, a world in which
Rachel Burns
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is unique as a book within a book. When you first start it, it tells you Phantasy doesn't start until the middle of the book. Needless to say, my curiosity was peaked. You follow someone who narrates in a style between journaling and playwright. His life begins to fall apart and he gets angrier and more fed up with everyone around him. Eventually he decides to write a book to deal with the situation and, who knows, maybe improve his life with a new career.

A big strength of this book is
Jeannie Walker
Nov 18, 2013 rated it liked it
At some times or another in our lives, I believe we have all had to battle anger. The main character in this different kind of novel has a problem dealing with anger. However, reading this novel could help a person deal somewhat with our own unenthusiastic issues and distractions. For I believe all of us have been unhappy at some point in our lives, and I know that negative emotions can drain us of energy and ambition.
Time is too short to be pessimistic and have a defeatist attitude, which is w
Serena Walken
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it

First of all, this book is different from the usual fare.
There is capitalization, indentation used for thought and
extreme agitation, and it's told in several different ways.
It reminds me more of a screenplay format.

The fantasy is okay, but minimal until the story is being written. Still, I enjoyed it. It's more lifelike than anything, and you forget it's supposed
to be a fantasy novel. However, I didn't mind because I was learning about something way different than America where I am from. Rs,
Arlena
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 4
Review:

"Phantasy" by Marlowe Sr was some read of realism or illusion...oh it's just a fantasy. Wow what a interesting read that his author has put together for the reader and it's in first person. It was quite interesting how the main character begins to write and creates a fantasy world after being dumped by his girlfriend. ... creating a destructive pow
Ericka Greer
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
(I was given this free ebook in exchange for an honest review)

This book is different from what I normally read but that is ok because I have no problem branching out with a different approach to other genres. When I first started reading this book I was a little hesitant at first because of how it started off. To me it was written out like a screen play or a journal entry. At first can be somewhat confusing with the going back and forth to "then" and now" but once you keep reading it is easy to
SittieCates
Written from a man's perspective, I find myself smiling as I am taken into the deep recesses of a male's mind – showing me what he wants, what he fears, and what he totally detests in his life.

The tale has this honest feel to it and there were some parts that made me laugh out loud. It’s a crazy tale for adults and its zaniness (that has its obvious hold on reality) will keep you stuck in the tale. Best for those who would—as the author suggested—would have a broad perspective on things and not
Rachel
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Written in the 1st person, and almost like a screenplay, complete with what seem to be stage directions.

The narrator's thoughts came through quite clearly, but the writing itself was a little distracting. The narrator himself may be one of the biggest detriments to the story, being incredibly whiny, self-entitled, and self-important. He sees his life as being bad, when, in fact, it really isn't, but his own self-pity won't let him see the truth. When he places himself in bad situations (losing
Jan farnworth
This book is way different then anything i normal read. It was a bit off putting with the amount of raw language that was used but it did not stop from reading the book though their were a few times i almost gave up on the story. The format read a bit like a play so it took me a while to get used to that kind of formating.

One minute you are reading along and then it's like...what? What?! When did that happen, did I skip several chapters or something? You didn't though, and in the next scene you
Zainab
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've got a free ARC in exchange for a review.

Okay, first things are first..
I LOVE HOW IT'S WRITTEN!
it's the first time for me to read something written in this style, it was weird in the start, it took me quiet few pages to get used to it, but it was so much fun reading this!

What I loved: the idea is SO unique! I also loved how real the main characters were, sometimes i actually related to him, and it was actually fun to know I'm not the only whiny-baby on the planet :D

What I didn't like: also
Samuel Bates
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pretty crazy story from the beginning to the end but interesting, I strongly recommend to read the first pages of the book before buy it, there are important advices.

This book is in first person. The story it's about a guy that is writing his own fantasy book (after his girlfriend dumped him) in a world (made with his own rules) and a creature that is worse than an earthquake. I know some psychologists that recommend people to write to drain their bad energy, I think the background of this book
Joy D. Fanning
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*

This book is different from most you might read simply because of the format it is written in. It feels more like a screenplay, or a journal of sorts. The book is loaded with dialog, something I adore and love to read, so after adjusting to how the book was written, I enjoyed not having to wait till more dialog came about.

While the main character is relatable, I personally don't care for him. He was to lazy and self centered, feel
Alicia Cagey
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

The star rating might depend on your knowledge of traditional writing structure (MFA's beware). I gave it four stars because it's so outside of the box, I couldn't help it. The style is stream of consciousness run amok and one can't help but admire the writer's risk (though it takes the reader at little while to get into the story).

As for the story--well, I can't help but personally relate to people whose lives are totally upturned on every
Priscilla
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Where do I begin? Phantasy is filled with a great deal of dialogue. At some point, I felt like I was reading a screenplay. People who enjoy inner dialogue are in for a real treat. Personally, I was expecting a story with wonderfully detailed observations. I’m not a fan of the constant use of capitalisation, as well. Considering the positive aspects, it’s a vivid story to read to escape reality. Phantasy is low on lyricism, sure, but it’s a mind-bending adventure and the author gives life to his ...more
Brandon
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 9.0/10.0

Review: This was a pretty good tale of a man with a vivid imagination. The book was well written, and the plot was unique. There were some points in the story where it felt like the words were just fillers, but it didn't really detract from the story. Author Marlowe Sr. has a lot of potential, and I cannot wait to read something else of theirs! I'd recommend this book to any fantasy fan out there. Also, a note about the cover: I believe the cover makes the book look a bit amateur
Carlana
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Where do I even begin? Truth be told, Phantasy is quite an interesting read. It is well written book with an interesting story line and plot and it's obvious that the writer has a ton of potential. That said, I felt that the book did drag at times but you could not call it a boring book; that's for sure. While I cannot give it 5 stars because I think it deserves 3, I'm quite keen to see what else the author has to offer because I see there's a knack for story telling here. Not a bad effort at al ...more
Melissa
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

I found this book was a little rough at the beginning. I couldn't get into it, but once I did it was an ok story. I found it still a little confusing in areas but for the most part it was an easy read. If you don't follow along in books that are written in form of a play/journal then this would not be for you. But if you give this book a chance don't give up on it - the more you read the more you like it.
Lorie Lawson
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic adventure!

This was a wonderful adventure, kind of a Lewis Caroll journey into the imagination. Only, this time, something flies out from there and attacks a guy who is down on his luck. The vividness of the characters and their predicament is just great. This is one of those books you can really picture in your head. A pure, true, escapist tale. Something that you can enjoy and remember for a long time to come. I wish there were more stories like this!
Angelica Thaddeus
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book outside of the box!

If you like unique reads that challenge a reader, then this book is for you. The storyline is intriguing, althoug at times it is a bit difficult to follow. But the book is a diversion from the usual and you have to give credit to the writer for his courage in crafting this novel.
Alex Lyster (Obsessive Book Nerd)
Phantasy by Marlowe Sr. is an interesting read. Though, I must say if you are easily offended by harsh language and adult themes, then this is not the novel for you...

See the rest of my review at obsessivebooknerd.com

• Real Dangerous Girl (Kim Oh, #1)
  • Her Venice Affair (The Albury Affairs, #1)
  • Emma... to Begin Again
  • Full Circle  (Full Circle, #1)
  • The Secret Diary Of Detective Vampire (The Detective Vampire #1)
  • Do Or Die (Surreal Blue Rogue Agent, #1)
  • Beyond the Tempest Gate
  • The Ohana
  • The Culling
  • Warrior
  • This Could Have Been Our Song! A Coulda Woulda Shoulda Ballad (Coulda Woulda Shoulda Songs #1)
  • Scorned (LeKrista Scott, Vampire Hunted #1)
  • For Love's Sake Only
  • Strait of Hormuz (Marc Royce #3)
  • Nightmare of the Clans (Chausiku #1)
  • Friend Me
  • Type N (Type N, #1)
  • Everybody's Daughter
Well, I don't have much to say about myself. I have been writing since my school days (short poems, stories, etc) but never could make it big in the offline world due to competition. Then later on in my life I discovered the awesome world of self-publishing! It took me some time to get back in gear but hey it was worth it, and here I am!

What inspires me to write? Hmm, pretty hard to answer that on
“I am free to write what I want and my readers are free to think what they can” 3 likes