Start by marking “Sentient (The Mentalist Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sentient (The Mentalist Series, #2)

Sentient (The Mentalist Series #2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
155 pages
Published October 28th 2013 (first published October 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sentient, please sign up.
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverBoundless by Cynthia Hand
2013 Releases
564 books — 1,005 voters
Unravel Me by Tahereh MafiThrough the Ever Night by Veronica RossiScarlet by Marissa MeyerProdigy by Marie LuEverbound by Brodi Ashton
2013 YA/MG Sequels
110 books — 817 voters

More lists with this book...

Hanna
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
“What was the point of being so special if all it had brought me was separation from my father and hounding by strangers who thought they knew what was best for me?”

This is the second book in The Mentalist series and we continue to follow the lives of Gemma, Ross and Gemma’s father. At the end of Aversion, Gemma went back to Sandes with Ross and her father continued staying hidden and try to gather information about Sentient Twins and Progressive Empath’s.
In Sentient we kind of continue where we
Shirley Cuypers
Original review

This book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Kenechi Udogu!

Sentient
is the sequel to Aversion and continues the story of Gemma and Russ. Gemma finally discovered that she’s a Progressive Empath and is now trying to figure out how to work with her new abilities. She doesn’t really know what to think of her and Russ’ Sentient link and she’s also plagued with nightmares…

Sentient is an amazing sequel and I couldn’t wish for a better sequel. Sentien
Claire Davis
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I have received this book in exchange for an honest review. I have given the second instalment of The Mentalist Series: Sentient by Kenechi Udogu three out of five stars ⭐⭐⭐In Sentient, we carry on following the lives of Gemma, her dad; Paul and Russ. I was hoping for this book to really take off from Aversion as I thoroughly enjoyed the first instalment, however I found the second book rather boring (in the first half). Towards the end of the book, things started to pick up with twists, turns a ...more
Helen
I enjoyed this sequel to Aversion, though I don't think it's perfect. It has the same flaw as the first book in that the story is told in a stream of consciousness from Gemma. It reads like a diary entry, and I found it hard to get a picture of what Gemma's world is like.

Though saying that, this second book in the series does flesh out a lot of the details around Aversion and the Avertor's community and politics. In terms of world-building, it is an improvement on the first book, which felt a b
LaRonda (Flying Paperbacks)
Soooooo... I put this book down and just cannot pick this back up.
Kristin
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s done. I have officially finished reading the Mentalist series by Kenechi Udogu.

In case you haven’t heard about it already, the Mentalist series is a trilogy plus one short novella. Each book is on the short side and even with four books in the series, they are rather easy to finish. But even with the allure of being a short series, was it worth the read?

Gemma Green is an averter. No, scratch that. She is a Progressive Empath. An averter is capable of altering people’s minds to prevent them
Karli 🧡
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Lovely.

That was my first thought upon finishing this book. Of course, it ending on a sweet, fluffy note certainly helped but on the whole my experience of Sentient really was quite lovely.

The first book in this series, Aversion, was sweet and slow, yet quick and fun with decent writing, a pleasing romance and a likable and relatable main character. Sentient kept up on all of that good stuff, and also stepped it up in terms of plot and character development.

With Aversion, my only real complaint
Francesca Dell
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r2r
First of all, I would like to thank the author of this book, Kenechi Udogu, for offering me an ARC of this novel. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book and in turn enjoyed this one also, so thankyou!

Having read Aversion, book one of The Mentalist Series I was slightly wary when I went into reading this one. The only reason for this is that I have found in the past that occasionally books tend to go a bit 'down-hill' after the first one. It was with this thought in mind that I began reading and, o
Angela
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read the first book in this series and was pretty excited when approached to read this continuation. This book continues Gemma's journey of self discovery while learning what being a Progressive Empath really means and what she can do being one. Without her Dad Gemma finds learning about herself and her abilities a hard thing to master. Russ and her have an odd relationship too, that she isn't sure what to do with. She wants to love him, but part of her isn't so sure she should or can knowing ...more
Jana
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
And once again I'd like to thank Kenechi Udogu for letting me read and review this book.

After having spent the summer with her father, Gemma is back in Sandes and tries as much as possible to lead a normal life. While in "Aversion", Gemma's trusting relation with her father was one of the main themes, our heroine now has to rely on herself, since her father left her alone in order to protect her from Henry. Gemma, on the other hand, is trying to protect Russ but feels more and more overwhelmed
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
(I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

I quite enjoyed the first book in this series, so it was nice to have the chance to read the second book.

I did like Gemma, as well as her relationship with Russ. Although I'm still not sure their relationship is totally believable, I think that the author does a good job of showing that uncertainty, at least on Gemma's part.

Although I did like the fact that this book was written from
Cherese A. Vines
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: paranormal romance
Recommended to Cherese by: kenechi udogu
Gemma Green (Colt) is back in Sandes and nothing is the same. When we last saw our heroine, she had just escaped a threat that could've destroyed her family. But by luck or destiny, she survived only to face a more powerful foe.

Sentient is the next installment in The Mentalist Series by Kenechi Udogu. New characters arrive and new talents surface. In this book, Gemma seems emotionally drained by everything that has happened, however her abilities are gaining strength. Although Gemma is more subd
Farah Hanani
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review on blog: Tumbling in Books

Let me start off with this: This book is EASILY better than the first one! I definitely loved it more! I'll admit though, the beginning was a little slow for me but when the plot thickens, it's just like, BAM! Action!

I think I should list down the pros and cons.

Cons:
-Slow beginning but the introduction is definitely needed.
-I kinda feel like Gemma is more uptight in Sentient than in Aversion?

Pros:
-Character growth. Gemma's uptightness? It didn't last long.
-MOR
Alina
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy from the Author in exchange for an honest review and I must say I'm extremely happy I agreed to do so.
The second book in the Mentalist series does not disappoint and it only gets better from the first book, Aversion. It picks up almost immediately after the events that happened to our leading lady, Gemma and is filled with none stop action, new charters, plots and twists. I fell in love immediately with the new character Lauren and want to know more about the new (yet
Kiara
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
i want to thank you the author who provided me with an ARC.

sentient is a second book of the mentalist series, and it also a novella too, which is either a good thing, i could read it fast in one sitting and a bad thing, because you end up wanting more.

the story still revolves around Gemma, and her newfound sentient twin, Russ. the chemistry between them is so strong, i wonder how Gemma would be able to resist it?

as if being a progressive empath is not enough, Gemma find a new power that would
Cat
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this as an ARC from the author.

After reading, reviewing, and enjoying book #1, I was excited to dive right in to this book. I still think Gemma is a good heorine, however I was less sure of her this time. I can't exactly pinpoint what's leading to my hesitations over her though so I'll have to re-read and come back to this!

I mostly took off a star because I felt there wasn't enough plot movement and overall felt the story was too short (maybe that's the same problem..). Th
S.J. Darlington
*** Reviewing the series as a whole. ***
Book Title/s: Aversion (#1), Sentient (#2), Keepers (#3) and Broken Ties (Prequel)
Author: Kenechi Udogu
Series: The Mentalist
Rating: Three Stars!

Book One – Aversion
Very, very short read. The whole concept of the Averters and their world was quite unique, and I felt like it deserved a longer story. I didn’t connect very well with the main characters, and this was mostly due to the fact that we didn’t get a lot of background information about them or about t
She  Always Reads
I didn’t think that this could get any better, but it has. This is just a remarkable book that is flying under the radar. I guarantee that once you pick it up that you will be like me and be unable to put this down.

The story picks up with Gemma rejoining Russ and learning to intermingle with his friends, training her powers and finding a new possible alliances and enemies all while trying to maintain a normalcy of a teenager girl. Talk about having your plate full.

The juggling of supernatural ve
Ctrl, Alt Books!
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So here were are, the second installment to the Mentalist series. These books are fairly quick reads but that doesn’t take away from the story at all. The first part of the story we learned about Gemma and her emerging powers. In this part we get to see how those powers develop and what new powers she discovers along the way. We also get to meet new characters and see how they play a role in Gemma’s life. Although not everyone we meet is her friend.

This book was jammed pack with action and suspe
Bella Reads and Reviews
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book Two in The Mentalist Series carries on the story that I found so engaging in Book One, Aversion, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is not a stand-alone novel, however. Unless one has the background of Aversion, much would not make sense. Gemma continues to narrate the story in which she must confront the fact that she is more than an Averter, and her connection to Russ is deeper than it seemed at first.

As before, I enjoyed the author's creativity and writing style. She is a good storytelle
Jennifer Leigh
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Sentient is such a step up from Aversion. I felt such a deep connection to the characters in this book. Everything from the plot twists to the new characters really made this story pop for me. I love the inner battles that Gemma faces as she figures out what to do about Russ and handles her father’s absence. The problem I had was the ignoring feelings for the “greater good” reasoning. It is
Leila Tualla
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ahh book 2. The second book of a trilogy is usually a little more slower. We get to know more about Gemma, and more about the world of Mentalists. In the previous book, there was enough mystery to keep us interested. In Sentient, we started getting bombshells! So much happens in this one, and I'm not going to spoil anything!! Just trust me when I say that the second book of ANY TRILOGY are usually my favorites (Catching Fire for Hunger Games, and the Scorch Trials for the Maze Runner just to nam ...more
Destiny Bridwell
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got a copy of this for a fair and honest review. Wow what a book two. This picks up not long after Aversion. It has Gemma reuniting with Russ at school and trying to intermingle with his friend. All the while of trying to learn and train her new powers and abilities. There is a lot packed into this book. I don't want to give anything way but there is a lot more revealed about the world of the Mentalists in this book. Want to know all the details pick up a copy of this book.
Savannah (The Book Prophet)
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
As far as this book goes, I enjoyed it more than the first. The beginning was kind of boring to read, but it just had a slow start and picked up pace as I read more.

There were new characters introduced in this book which I think saved it from being boring like the first. With these characters brought in, I felt like it added something to the story that wasn’t there before. These books are definitely character-driven stories. Dialogue is used quite a bit so having more characters equals more even
Joanne Sim
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Original review can be found on my blog at this link.

Sentient is the 2nd novel in The Mentalist Series. If you have yet to read my book review of the 1st novel, Aversion, you can read the book review here. I would like to give a huge thank you to the author once again for giving me an opportunity to read her amazing trilogy in exchange for an honest review. 🙂

Nothing much really occur in Sentient. I would say that Sentient suffers from the 2nd book syndrome. In my opinion, Sentient is the bridgi
Filipa Santos
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book, in comparison with Aversion, has a better developed story. Yet, I felt that most of the questions weren’t really answered as more were raised. I liked the development that some characters went through and the increasing intensity that was felt during the reading.
Russ’s intuition amazed me! He always seemed to know the right thing to do!
Sentient promises new challenges to Gemma and Russ’s relationship, as they struggle to understand Gemma’s powers and the deep connection they share. N
Oh My Bookness
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sentient (Book Two Of The Mentalist Series)- Book Summary

Sentient (Book Two Of The Mentalist Series)
Dominique
Mastering her Progressive Empath abilities isn’t going as well as Gemma hoped. In fact, months after finding out what she really is, she still has no clue what this truly means. All she can do is wait to see if any new abilities will eventually manifest. Things aren’t going great with Russ either. Unsure of how to handle her Sentient Link with him, she tries to integrate herself in his busy social life but struggles to adjust to her new circumstances.

When she is plagued by recurring nightmares,
 Marla
I have a secret crush on Russ. I liked Gemma and Laura, but there was just something missing for me. I read about the electricity between Russ and Gemma, but I didn't feel it. The characters show promise, but there wasn't enough suspense and feeling for my taste.

I didn't love the story, but I didn't not like it. I would read the next book to see what happens to Russ and Laura (Gemma isn't my favorite character) and it helps that the books are short and quick reads.

Likes:
* Russ is my favorite cha
Faye
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Some spoilers ahead.

Sentient started off as Gemma came back to Sandes but without her dad since he needed to be in hiding. The story progressed with Gemma feeling more troubled than ever what with her connection to Russ being a Sentient Twin (if her feelings for him are real or not), about her abilities, and missing her dad.

Her life isn't easy and simple as other Averters since she is a Progressive Empath although she's not the only one of her kind. For instance, Laura (a new character), is also
Kenechi lives in London and enjoys writing fantasy/paranormal fiction and short stories (some of which she posts on her blog). She also hates the cold and hopes to one day figure out how to hibernate in winter.
More about Kenechi Udogu

The Mentalist Series (5 books)
  • Broken Ties: Prequel (The Mentalist Series)
  • Aversion (The Mentalist Series, #1)
  • Keepers (The Mentalist Series, #3)
  • The Mentalist Series Box Set (The Mentalist Series, #0.5-3)