Start by marking “Pegasus to Paradise” as Want to Read:
Pegasus to Paradise

Pegasus to Paradise

Based on a true story. Ted and Florrie were childhood sweethearts who in 1936, married at the church on top of the Hill where they both lived, unaware of the dark rumblings from Europe, which in a few short years were to change their lives forever. Ted is called up in 1940 and joins an elite Airborne glider force tasked with attacking, capturing and holding bridges in enem ...more
Paperback, e-book, 364 pages
Published June 6th 2013 by Palace Park Press

To ask other readers questions about Pegasus to Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pegasus to Paradise

Start your review of Pegasus to Paradise
Veronica ⭐️
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, true-story
This story is based on the life of Ted and Florrie Tappenden. It is a story of contrasts moving from the sentimental writings of a young couple falling in love to the breath taking drama of WW2. It tells the reader how this couple and their friends coped during and after the war.
This is a story of how people struggled but kept their fears and emotions hidden even from those closest to them. It tells us about love, commitment, duty, fun, family and friends.
The story is written with great depth an
Peter Thomson
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A novel, and also an important social document.
The author has chosen the difficult subject of mental health for his debut novel.
Written in a literary prose that conjures vivid images he traces the lives of Ted and Florrie from their childhood days on ‘The Hill’ in Chatham, Kent, in the 1920’s, on to their marriage in the 1930’s and the war. It is the war and Ted’s witnessing the horrors of war that provokes the mental illness. He comes home sound in body, but flawed in mind. PTSD (post traumatic
Susan Hampson
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-reads
This is the life stories of Ted and Florrie Tappenden, how friendship as children grow to love, their lives pre-war 1939, during and after. It is at times sweet, funny and heart-breaking but the paths of so many others like them too.
The childhood sweethearts were to marry before Ted went to fight for his King and Country, returning periodically and fathering two sons with Florrie. When he came home he would never be the man that had gone to war in 1939.
There is an innocence about them right way
Lin
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was an honest, touching look at life in the time leading up to World War 2, and the experience of settling down again and trying to return to normal life.
At times it made me laugh out loud, but then within a page or two it would be making me cry. That's the mark of a good book.
The writing style was a pleasure to read, with a real turn of phrase and an ability to capture a scene and pick out the important parts. The characters within the story really came to life, with their own various
Pamela
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is based on a true story .. Its a book to make you laugh and cry, and enjoyable one. My first for this author, but not my last. Many thanks to TBC for allowing me to review the book
Greta Halliday
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book had me totally engrossed from the very first to last page.The writing was wonderfully descriptive and the storyline superb. This is a book that is totally complete in every way, it has Joy and laughter and a fair share of tears and sorrow. The writer has done an amazing job and I look forward to reading more of his work. Thanks to TBC for giving me the opportunity to read this book. A huge 5*
Lynda
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbc-arc
A different read for me and I found it both compelling and sad.

The book follows the lives of Ted and Florrie from childhood, through their marriage and life together, to their deaths. They lived through WW2 and Ted was in the army, taking part in the successful capture of Pegasus Bridge which played an important role in limiting the effectiveness of a German counter-attack in the aftermath of the Normandy invasion, thus the title of the book.

Florrie gave birth to both of their sons during the
Steven Hayward
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At times dark and disturbing but frequently warm and humorous, Pegasus to Paradise is not simply a poignant family album of times past but a rich social history of 20th century England; a sensitive commentary on wartime stoicism and duty, and of post-war culture in the suburbs of south London and northern Kent; and an enlightening portrait of mental illness in its various forms, conditions now recognised and better understood as post traumatic stress disorder and bi-polar disorder.

The semi-ficti
Peggy
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was particularly excited to read a book which is set mainly in my local area. There aren't that many around. Even though I was not born in Kent, I do feel very much settled here and couldn't image living anywhere else.

This is the story of Ted and Florrie. They are young couple when World War II breaks out. 2 sons are born during the war years, and Ted is of of the lucky ones who does return. But he is not the same Ted. Still, lives goes on and the couple will have to cope.

In the early chapte
J. Dolan
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
this from J. Michael Dolan, author of < The Trumpets of Jericho: A Tale of the Holocaust >
There is no faulting the plotting of Mr. Tappenden's Pegasus. Apart from its high human-interest appeal, it is ambitious in that it spans both war and post-war, leading the reader from the loud drama of the former into that of the quieter, if here, just as turbulent latter. One is borne by this plot as on a boat, effortlessly, without work, albeit across dark waters.
Manning this boat is a crew as well-chis
Saleh Radaideh
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has a lot of quality to it. I enjoyed it all throughout. Florrie is a very interesting character who is always determined to find a light despite the hardships. She is the type of person who never gives up, and sometimes reacts to problems in a hearty manner. I really liked her character. She encounters many interesting characters throughout the story, however the most interesting of them all is Ted. She meets Ted a few times, and they share numerous memories together, slowly getting c ...more
Brooke Alcock dunmore
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was dubious about all the five star critiques of this book, but having read this beautifully written story it genuinely deserves the rave reviews.

It is historical fiction, but the amount of research undertaken is phenomenal and gives real authenticity to the setting and timelines this book covers. Having been far removed from World War II because of my age, what drew me into the story was the insight into the people, trials, tribulations and relationships that were so greatly affected by the n
Sarah Dunsbee
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a good read...
I have always had a liking for stories based on " ordinary " lives ...."Larkrise To Candleford" " Cider with Rosie" and all the " Little House" books of Laura Ingalls Wilder....to me they are fascinating and inspiring...
This is another book about people who while not kings or explorers or film stars led lives full of variety,happy,sad,amazing, heartbreaking,amusing...
As everyone has said two main characters,very different but lovingly drawn ,we live with them through their tho
Debs
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written book. Incredibly done so that you invest a huge amount of emotion into the story - sometimes funny and sometimes downright sad, but a great read and highly recommend. This is definitely a book I’d want to put in my “read again” piles
Clare Scanlan
Interesting and very readable, great characters
Daniel Smith
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Won in the Goodreads Giveaways
Charlie Vasquez
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book that captured my attention from the beginning, pulled me in, and never once let go- quite a feat considering how long it is! But I enjoyed every page. Each scene was engaging, imaginative, and flowed smoothly from one to the next… never a “dull part” where you get bored or want to skip ahead… in fact almost the opposite with the various interweaving plotlines and going from one character and event to the next. The descriptions were very strong, and I mean with the autho ...more
Winnie Khaw
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Pegasus to Paradise is a poignant and moving book written in a lovely, sensitive style. Michael Tappenden is honest and sympathetic in his portrayal of Ted and Florrie, who fall in near-idyllic love pre-WWII but encounter emotional and psychological struggles living together in a post-war world. Despite the seeming broody, angsty nature of the above summary, Tappenden’s book is filled with lively relationships, friends, fun, and humor to offset the thread of melancholy present throughout. Ted a ...more
Kimberly Westrope
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

This is a wonderfully told story about life and love during WWII and the years following. It follows one young couple from the time they meet through their marriage and the births of their children and grandchildren. A poignant look at the bravery and heroics of both the infantrymen on the front lines and their loved ones back at home.

A beautifully woven tale of love, family, and commitment...all the things worth fighting for. Very well written and definitely one I highly recommend.
Nicua
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story that holds you spellbound from start to finish. Written in a clear narrative one cannot help but become attached to the characters. I will be looking out for more books from this author.
Liz
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story of a couple's life during and after WW2. In some parts serious in others humorous but showing us all that duty is foremost.

A pleasure to read.

Marion Brownlee
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty though reading.not easy to get through!
Eva-may doyle
Abdelkhalek BAKKARI
Mar 07, 2014
Nancy Barclay
Mar 01, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: New edition goes live on Friday! 3 11 Jul 06, 2020 08:12AM

• A Painter in Penang (Penang series Book 3)
  • Deadly Wishes (Detective Zoe Finch, #1)
  • A Song of Isolation
  • Betray Her
  • Nurse Kitty's Secret War: A novel inspired by the brave nurses and doctors from the first NHS hospital
  • The Secret Letters
  • Hush Little Baby (DC Beth Chamberlain, #3)
  • The Target of Lies (Hunted #3)
  • Deadly Secrets
  • A Prayer For The Broken
  • Gina's Therapy
  • Dial P For Poison (Movie Club Mysteries, #1)
  • The Black Tsar: A Thriller (Jack Bonafide Book 1)
  • I Love You Too, Daddy
  • A Wasted Hour
  • I, Black Pharaoh: Rise to Power
  • Hinterland
  • Nici's Christmas Tale (The Troubadours Quartet #4.5)
Michael Tappenden attended Sir Joseph Williamson's Mathematical Grammar School in Kent, England, achieved post graduate qualifications, became a Member of the Chartered Society of Designers and Principal Lecturer at the University for the Creative Arts. In between he also worked within a gang of Irish labourers, dug potatoes and picked hops in the fields of Kent, worked as an assistant grave digge ...more

News & Interviews

“No one can say how far Herr Hitler's empire will extend before this war is over, but I have no doubt it will pass away perhaps more swiftly than Napoleon's empire and without its glory. The British spirit and temperment, bred in freedom, will prove more enduring and resilient than the most efficient mechanical discipline.
Winston Churchill”
1 likes
“Who made the law that men should die in meadows?
Who spake the word that blood should splash in lanes?
Who gave it forth that gardens should be boneyards?
Who spread the hills with flesh, and blood, and brains?
Who made the law?"