Start by marking “Into the Deep (Into the Deep, #1)” as Want to Read:
Into the Deep (Into the Deep, #1)

Into the Deep (Into the Deep #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  195 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Ivy Daniels is a high school junior still learning who she is. After almost drowning, Ivy finds herself with an ability she doesn’t want, an ability to uncover secrets which quickly begins to redefine what she thinks about the people around her as well as herself. Because of this ability, Ivy becomes the one thing that stands between an angry teen and the death of every st ...more
Published (first published August 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Deep

Chantel
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty much amazing! The synopsis gave a lot of information but not enough to spoil the book for me which made it even more intriguing. And of course, the front cover is absolutely phenomenal, it fits perfectly with the story. I've never read a book where the character can hear people's thoughts, that's mainly why i was so excited to start this book!

Into the Deep is through the eyes of Ivy who I thought was a "innocent" teenage girl at first but then you see the type of friends
Carrie
*Warning spoilers ahead*

Ivy is a typical seventeen year old, part of the popular group. Trying to fit in, doing things she doesn't really want to do because she doesn't want to be alone.

Things change for Ivy the night her and her friends sneak into the Country clubs swimming pool. The night of her accident.

Now she isn't just the typical seventeen year old, now she can hear the things that no one should. Now she can hear the personal things that no one shares with anyone, she can hear the thoug
Sabrina
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
You can find this review also on my blog: www.justfantasybooksadis.blogspot.com

Review:

After Ivy slips in the pool and hits her head on the stairs, she finds herself with the ability to read people's thoughts. It takes some time to realise that she's not crazy.

But her ability can save the school. Or not.

A student from her high school wants to blow up the entire school, but Ivy is the only one who knows that. Now, that she knows what students are thinking, she realize that she can't trust her frie
Lucinda Elliot
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This starts off as interesting, and gets more and more so. The main character, Ivy, is at first under the influence of a superficial, vain set of girls who see themselves as 'high flyers' but gradually, her new abilities lead her not only to detect a deadly threat to her fellow students but also, that people are often very different from how they appear to be. This has happy and unhappy consequences for Ivy, who begins to question her old values.

In company with the School Bad Boy (colourfully an
Abbie
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Actual rating - 2.5)

Into the Deep was an okay story, but at times, it dragged.

Ivy was an okay character, but it annoyed me how she took the bombing threat so lightly at times.
At one point, she actually asked Brant if they could forget about the whole situation for a couple of days.
I understand that at the time, she was going through a bit of a rough patch, but really? She was seriously going to forget about the bomb threat for a couple of days, when it was so close to happening?

I really didn'
Laurie Franco
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wicked good book! I loved how it touched on bullying, and had a bit of a love story in there as well. Brent was an awesome character, and I loved Ivy. This was a great book, and I really recommend it. From the bullying, to the clique of girls that was such an accurate portrayal of high school life, this a must read that is too good to miss!
Jace
Nov 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god.
This is the stupidest book I've read in while.
I wanted to like it so bad, that I just kept plowing through, which is not normally my M.O. I don't read books I don't like.
But this one...I don't know, I just kept hoping that it would get better.
Some character developement.
Some action.
Some romance.
Some intrigue.
ANYTHING.

To be fair, Lauryn April tried. I really believe that.
She tried to give us a love interest in Brant. She tried to give us some character growth with Ivy. She tried t
Bianca
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book free from Lauryn , in exchange of a honest review. Thank you, Lauryn!

When I first read about this book, I was really excited about it. It sounded like something fresh and I had to read it. So I contacted Lauryn and asked her for a copy for review and I was soooo happy when she said “Yes”! And, belive me, I don’t regret that I did it. This book was AMAZING! I loved it and I want more and more!

The greatest thing about this book is that you can’t find fantasy. No fantasy. At al
Jen
Awesome! Way cute! Loved this story!!

Although I should be deeply disturbed by it. My biggest fear in life for my children is being victims of crazy kids at school.

The book starts off with Ivy telling the story of how it all happened.
At school, Ivy had a good crowd of friends. She didn't look down at people, but she didn't stick up for them too. Being shallow and following what everyone else though . that was the life.. right?

When Christy got a hold of the key to the pool at the Club house, t
Andreea
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I received this book in exchange of an honest review and all that I can say is this "This book was totally awesome!"

Ivy is just a normal high school girl. But her normal life changes when she's going out swimming with her friends and by accident she hits her head. That was the point that changed her life because she started hearing thoughts. At first she doesn't believe in her new powers and thinks of herself as crazy but later on she starts believing in it. However, she is not alone. The bad bo
Nicole
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Into the Deep is the debut novel from author, Lauryn April. Into the Deep is one of those books that I found myself getting lost in. The main character, Ivy, is quite likable, easy to relate to, and I was able to get caught up in her life as she dealt with her new ability. Another aspect I enjoyed about Into the Deep were the sensory details, they weren't overwhelming but they did allow me to feel as though I could envision the scene being described.

One of my favorite parts of this novel were
Lily at Bookluvrs Haven
A late night break-in to the pool with a group of friends. To swim, frolic, flirt and maybe drink a couple of beers.

Nothing could go wrong, right?

All it takes is one slip and fall, and Ivy's life changes forever. Once she starts to hear voices, she thinks that she is going insane. But quickly she figures out that she is hearing the inner thoughts of the people around her.

Already feeling pressure to fit in with her popular group of friends, she finds it even more difficult when she hears their u
Tiana Dalichov
I won this book in a blog giveaway, and gosh am I glad I did! Into the Deep is one of those stories that really sticks with you even after you've finished reading it. A great premise with interesting characters and an adorable love story.

Ivy Daniels is just a normal teenager, but an accident at the local country club lands her with head trauma...and after that she can suddenly hear the thoughts of all the people around her. As she struggles to find out how to deal with this new ability, Ivy real
Levian
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ivy was best friends with Christy, Tiana, and Eliza. their midnight party by the pool side landed her under the water, almost drown, and hit her head under the water. when she woke up, she discovered that she had the ability to listen to people's thoughts. due the the ability, she was able to truly see who her real friends were. she got closer to Brant, a delinquent who was a far better friend that anyone expected. at the same time, she heard a thought that wanted the death of every student on c ...more
Antonia♥
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I read the re-released version of this book*

Into the Deep is an exceptional read. I had so much fun reading this book and I loved every single bit of it. Ivy’s adventure is something very exciting and dangerous that everybody will love. This is Lauryn’s first book, but she writes like a pro.

Ivy’s life was normal before the accident happened. She had a nice family and great friends (or not???). When she hit her head on the bottom of the pool, Ivy gained some paranormal abilities: she could read
Kirsty Vizard
For a fan of the YA and paranormal genres Into the Deep is an intriguing notion; this is a story which tells how the world of a popular high school girl becomes overwhelming after she falls in a swimming pool, banging her head, waking the next day and realizing she is telepathic.
Ivy is slowly ostracized by her prominent group of friends, as she becomes aware of their real thoughts and cruelty towards her and others. Not only does Lauryn April use Ivy's telepathy to reveal the true nature of peop
Maria Mitchell
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This is book was so refreshingly real. While the main character, Ivy Daniels, has a power, the book stays away from the paranormal realm dominating the YA market lately. Author Lauryn April gives creative descriptions, captivating characters, and real every day problems existing in everyone's lives just beyond the surface.
Ivy hits her head and almost dies and then discovers she has the power to hear everyone's thoughts around her. She learns that sometimes she hears things she'd want to know
Jen Minkman
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this was a lovely book! I felt it was written for a slightly younger audience than I'm used to when I read YA, but that didn't stop me from reading. It was an interesting storyline, an original spin on the paranormal, and well-written (despite a few grammar issues > the usual suspect then/than). The only reason I'm knocking off one star is that some of the characters weren't very engaging (Ivy's two best friends are falling by the wayside so early on in the story that I didn't really ...more
Kenesha Williams
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read much YA fiction, but this was a great book. If I had a teen I wouldn't mind him/her reading it, there was a moral without being preachy, it was paranormal or supernatural, but not in that it had vamps or shifters, the Main Character could read people's minds. The way it portrayed High School friendships and relationships was spot on to me, something I managed to avoid in High School. I liked the way the relationship in the story developed it was realistic and sweet and although ther ...more
Shay Hardman
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, favorites
I received 'Into the Deep' by Lauryn April in a contest through Librarything.

Ivy is just an ordinary girl, at least she was until the slip into the pool occurred. A hit to the noggin and Ivy acquires an extraordinary gift- she can read minds! But with this gift there are consequences and responsibilities. To hear the inner thoughts of those around you isn't always the best ability to have, but because of this new ability, Ivy is given the chance to save not just one life, but the lives of many.

E
Leanne Crabtree
3.5 stars. 3 star for the first half. 4 star for the second half.

Well, I downloaded this as a freebie back in 2012 and it had been sitting on my kindle for ages so as part of Goodreads' "We (heart) YA"'s ABC challenge I decided to read this.

For the first 20-25% I was a little bored with it, finding it hard to get into and Ivy's friends were hard to like. However when Brant really came a part of her life, after the school classes and he more or less saved her, I started to really get into it. Rom
Stan Georgiana
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Although the action is fairly predictable , it seems very natural and connected to reality ( I don’t mean reading thoughts is normal, I’m refering to the relationships between the characters ,about the way they act ,their way of thinking ). It was more difficult to predict the end and I think everyone who got there asked themselves how they didn’t notice what happened at the beginning of the book.

I liked the fact that every gesture was detailed, but there was no exageration. That’s why I find th
Roz Balidio
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Cindy
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, supernatural, 2015
Got the free preview on this one and had to finish it. Stayed up until 2am, in fact. It's about a popular teen who gets ESP after hitting her head at the pool. Now she can read minds and discovers that her friends are shallow, boys are gross, and her dad is too concerned with a woman named Liz. Oh, and someone is plotting to blow up her school.

Best for older teens, as there is profanity, drinking, and sexual situations.
Jen
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For starters, I could not set this book down. The whole premise of having an injury and being given an ability was genius. Well-written and emotionally charged, I found this book to be a total gem. At one point it reminded me of the 90's movie, Heather's, only these characters were a bit more down to earth. This is one of those rare times I wish Goodreads would let me give more than five stars. LOVED it!
Alina Man
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books
I loved this book. I saw it on amazon and since it was a debut novel and i just love indi authors, i decided to get it and give it a try. I am so happy i did. You have the good girl with ability to read minds, add a bad boy who wants to help her and you got yourself a great book. Lauryn i hope you continue to write because you have an amazing talent. Great job.
Liana
Sep 05, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book looks and sounds really good, honestly!
Amanda
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun read, good characters, good coming of age read with a twist.
Maureen McCormack
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kait
Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I seriously enjoyed
This book! The MC made some dumb decisions but she had to to be an example for teens reading the book. Overall I really liked it and thought it was a super fun story!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Book Trailers - C...: After almost drowning... 2 22 Jun 30, 2014 05:45PM
COUPON CODE for Into the Deep! 1 3 Aug 19, 2013 10:22AM
Revised edition and SEQUEL coming! 1 8 Jan 09, 2013 08:01PM
Paranormal Romanc...: FREE ebook on Sept 9th, 10th, and 11th 1 11 Sep 05, 2012 06:53PM
Promote your Writing: FREE YA Paranormal Romance 1 3 Sep 05, 2012 06:44PM
Paranormal Romanc...: FREE on Amazon Sept 9th 10th and 11th 1 17 Sep 05, 2012 06:35PM
Ebook and Paperback Giveaways! 1 3 Aug 24, 2012 11:59AM
  • Betwixt (Betwixt, #1)
  • Phase (Phase Trilogy, #1)
  • Shades of Temptation (SIG, #2)
  • Keeping Merminia (Merminia, #2)
  • Grasping at Eternity (The Kindrily, #1)
  • The Unleashed (Blemished, #3)
  • Edge of Mercy (The Mercy Series, #1)
  • Charity Rising (Charity, #2)
  • Violet
  • Îmblânzitorul apelor
  • Insider (Outsider, #2)
  • Blue Violet (Svatura, #1)
  • Valley of Dust
  • A Tale of the Other Kind (Therian, #1)
  • Reviving Bloom (Bloom Daniels, #1)
  • Ocean of Dust
  • Rua (Rua, #1)
  • Ghost Hand (The PSS Chronicles, #1)
Lauryn is a YA/NA Paranormal Romance writer from Wisconsin. She has a BA in Psychology and when she's not writing works with kids with special needs. Her debut novel "Into the Deep" explores the intricacies of the adolescent mind and what it means to feel alone.

You can find out more about her on her blog where she writes about her experiences writing and shares her opinion about books. laurynapril
More about Lauryn April

Into the Deep (2 books)
  • Hidden Beneath (Into the Deep, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Vengeance Road
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)