Start by marking “Rescuing Mattie (Lords of Kassis, #3.1)” as Want to Read:
Rescuing Mattie (Lords of Kassis, #3.1)

Rescuing Mattie

(Lords of Kassis #3.1)

Mattie Abrams has always had a knack for training animals. Touring with the Cirque de Magik, she knows that she has finally found the ‘home’ she so desperately craves. She would do anything to keep her small family of circus friends and her pets, including going where they went. When the owner of the circus announces he is taking the circus to the stars, she never expects ...more
ebook
Published September 12th 2013 by Smashwords

Start your review of Rescuing Mattie (Lords of Kassis, #3.1)
Jonel
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kobo
Welcome back to the world of Kassis and all the danger and excitement that goes with it! Smith’s writing and descriptions shine as her characters battle against the odds and create a lifetime of memories.

I love how Mattie is with her dogs. It was so easy to relate to. And the variety of canine (as well as other furry) friends that she has really lets her love of animals shine through. I quite enjoyed the fact that she couldn’t do everything herself and that she was willing to bow down to others
Jamoz23
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book.
This is a great short story in this series which gives us a very quiet unassuming heroine (nothing kick arse about Mattie) and her fantastic pets.
Mattie and her dogs save the ship when traitors plant explosives and also help in dealing with Tai Tek.
Mattie is part of the circus and when they go to the stars she goes too as there is nothing on earth to keep her there. Her parents don’t care about her and her ex boyfriend was a cheater.
Jai was a nice change of pace, still m
Angela Charles
Super Quick

This book well novela actually is super short but has a lot of action within it. There are two big action scenes that are very well written. I enjoyed Mattie as a heroine and I enjoy Jai as the hero. I also enjoyed her pets that she had which is interesting. There has been books from SE Smith that has animals involved but none really of dogs and cats and ferrets being brought over to a new world.

I do like this world that we are in and I would like to know more about it. I do know tha
Alice
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will Kassis be going to the dogs?

Maybe so, in this short but sweet story that focuses on Mattie and her trained circus dogs. Mattie is not the star performer or warrior woman that have been the focus of the first 3 books in this series. She's shy, sweet, lovely and lonely, counting her dogs as family. Until she travels with the Circus to the planet Kassis where she meets Jai. Of course dangers, love and dogs are involved. Very nice!
Victoria
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
3 Stars
Lisa Pugh
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great novella in the Kassis universe. Mattie is a wonderful character and I loved this book.
Lesa O'Hara
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short story

I love this author. I have not read one book of hers and been disappointed. This one is a short story in the Rivers Run series. You can read this as a stand alone, but it is much more enjoyable if you know the back stories of the other characters mentioned in the book. I have read all of this series and all of the Lord's of Valdier books. She is talented and gets you attached to the characters until you just have to keep reading to find out what happens to the people in her book
Betty
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rescuing Mattie (Lords of Kassis series) by S E SMITH

A sweet addition to the series of the Lord's of Kassis. A little novella with a wonderful storyline where Mattie finds happiness in a strange world far from anything she's known with aliens and never imagined existed. Danger is stalking her friends and circus family while they begin they're new lives. Mattie literally runs into love on her way to they're new home amongst the stars. I recommend this whole series as each book draws you into this
Pam
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Mattie was a different female than I was expecting. After reading, the title is accurate. Mattie was a little “woe is me.” It was exhausting. The story jumped a bit, from joining the circus to leaving earth. Jai and Mattie’s relationship was definitely rushed. No real connection between the two. A lot of the story seemed missing. What little was there, I enjoyed. Especially the determination of Jai. The story did not have the world building and debt I’m used to from Ms. Smith. Missed that. I sup ...more
Rachel
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
So this little story was the reason why I started reading Lords of Kassis.

For a novella, it wasn't terrible. It flowed well and I actually liked the characters. I wish that the series was a little more like this one in the sense of character personality and story line. I went back and read the first book in the series after reading this little guy and it was not the same.

It was a sweet short read if you need something light to read in between heavier story lines.
Ellena deLeon
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful story! I'm glad to hear what has happened to some of the circus people!

This book was artfully crafted and uniquely designed to pull you into the pages where secrets and fairytales live and where the happily ever after is stored!

One of Your Greatest Fans,

Lena deLeon
lenadeleon2004.ld@gmail.com
Lynn Smith
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rescuing Mattie

Short story that fits in with Lords of Kassis. The circus was Mattie's family and when they left Earth she went along. Never thinking she would find live. Jai didn't care for the human females until one went jogging by him and he knew he had to have her.
MELISSA
A circus comes to Kassis

A nice short read with more sci-if romance among the Kassis. Mattie and Jai are the focus as more traitors are taken down this time with Mattie and her animal crew.
ManyHatMomma
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet short story

This is a story that takes place during the same timeframe as Jo’s Journey. It’s a side story about Mattie and Jai. It is a short and sweet, expounding on some of the action taking place in book 3.
Christopher Conatser
Read the series in order and you will love it
Vivien
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Okay & short but not as good as the 1st 3. ...more
Kathleen Schmidt
Love it

I love everything S. E writes, lords of kassis series. Lords of Var.
The alliance series.
Read anything she writes and it's great.
Jeannette Boustead
Short and sweet. But fills in the gaps

A catch up on Mattie and jai. This is there story. Worth a quick read as only a short book
Karen Easley
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
👍❤💙💚💛 💗💖💝

Loved it, even if though it was short. I haven't read one yet by this author that I haven't just enjoyed reading.

Suzanne Gandolfi-lapham
3.5 stars cute and quick
Brenda
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice interlude tied into several stories. Short(er), sweet, and to the point. Enjoyed it very much.
carol bisseker
A disappointing end to a series I have enjoyed

It just seemed to lack the usual verve and was a average sort of story without the usual depth expected from S. E. Smith.

ZJ Book  It And Read
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very much enjoyed this story and would advise just to read the series.

I loved these characters and the story is amazing and so far is my top 5 in favourite series.
Teresa Roberts
Ok novella

Ok story but not up to s.e. smith’s normal quality. It felt too rushed with not enough character development. Don’t judge her work on this book
Eliza Olsen
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome read

WoW This was another awesome read by the author S.E.Smith ! I loved this story it had all the things I love to read . A great love story that brought years and laughter to the pages !
Marcia
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Mattie Abrams has finally found the family she desires, with her friends in the circus, family beyond her pets. When Cirque de Magik decides to take their act into space, becoming the circus of the stars she does not get beyond the spaceship before she is dealing with intergalactic mischief. Luckily she has her animals and her new found mate Jai t’Dubar who believes in forever standing between her and a band of space pirates.

Cute short read, you get a lot of action in this one, Mattie and Jai t’
Elizabeth
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
quick enjoyable read that adds more detail and fun to the series

I love Susan's long novels but also enjoy reading short stories and novellas, especially when they're done well. Rescuing is Susan's second published short story and it is as enjoyable as any of her much longer stories. In less than 70 pages, Mattie and Jai reveal their backgrounds and personalities, meet, fall in love, experience danger more than once, survive, triumph and live happily ever after.

Events in Rescuing Mattie closely
annette colon
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short story but well written

The circus is Matties' family and when they decided to join Jo's parents move to another galaxy she went with them. The galaxy is a strange and sometimes a terrifying place. But all of that changes when she met Jai.
Jai thinks that the people of earth are crazy. With their strange customs and even stranger animals makes a person want to drink. All of that faded away when he meets Mattie. She belongs to HIM and heaven help those that try to her her.
Tam
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a nice addition to Jo's Journey. Essentially it is the meeting to mating of Mattie and Jai. The timeline runs concurrent to Jo's Journey and you get some of the same events from a different perspective.

I enjoyed this. It is a nice short story that adds some depth to some secondary characters.
Gmc
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rescuing Mattie : Lords of Kassis Book 3.1 by S.E. Smith

Mattie Abrams is a lonely animal trainer. When the circus family goes to another planet sne goes to int the adventure of a life time.

Jai t’Dubar is seeped of his feet when the earth animal trainer jogs by as he is getting out of the lift.

This would be 54 pages in hard-copy. A great story.

• Ull (Tornians, #4)
  • Wray (Tornians, #2)
  • Treyvon (Kaliszian, #2)
  • A Grim Holiday (Tornians, #1.5)
  • Nikhil (Kaliszians, #1)
  • Oryon (Tornians #3.5)
  • High Plains Cyborg (Cyborgs on Mars, #0.5)
  • Centurion (Galactic Gladiators: House of Rone, #3)
  • Ynyr (Tornians, #3)
  • Defender (Galactic Gladiators: House Of Rone, #2)
  • Daughter of the Alien Warrior (Treasured by the Alien, #3)
  • Cavas (The Vorge Crew, #5)
  • The Breeding Experiment (Veslor Mates #3)
  • Tamed by the Alien Pirate (Mates of the Kilgari #5)
  • Rescued by her Alien Protector (Warriors of the Lathar #11)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Cyborg (Cyborgs on Mars, #1)
  • Paladin (Galactic Gladiators: House of Rone #4)
  • Kiss of Eon (Eon Warriors, #4)
S.E. Smith is a New York Times (Twin Dragons and Dagger’s Hope) and 15 time USA TODAY Bestselling author of Science Fiction, Urban Fantasy, and Paranormal Romance. She brings action, adventure, and suspense-filled romance stories to transport readers out of this world. Sexy, funny, action-packed—Science fiction, Paranormal, Fantasy, and Contemporary stories with a twist! Discover stories with a he ...more

Lords of Kassis (7 books)
  • River's Run (Lords of Kassis, #1)
  • Star's Storm (Lords of Kassis, #2)
  • Jo's Journey (Lords of Kassis, #3)
  • Risteard’s Unwilling Empress (Lords of Kassis, #4)
  • Madas’s Falling Star / Madas’s Unexpected Gift (Lords of Kassis, #5)
  • Jarmen's Jane Doe (Lords of Kassis)

News & Interviews