Start by marking “Meet Polkadot (Polkadot, #1)” as Want to Read:
Meet Polkadot (Polkadot, #1)

Meet Polkadot

(Polkadot)

“Meet Polkadot,” is an accessible introduction to the main character in our series, Polkadot. Polkadot as well as Polkadot’s big sister Gladiola and best friend Norma Alicia, introduce our readers to the challenges and beauty that are experienced by Polkadot as a non-binary, trans kid. While Gladiola learns how to engage with information that she “didn’t know she didn’t kn ...more
Hardcover, First Edition
Published October 7th 2013 by Danger Dot Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Meet Polkadot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Polkadot

Start your review of Meet Polkadot (Polkadot, #1)
Cori Di Biase
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am so happy to have been able to share this book with my wife and daughter. We all learned a lot as we read it together. Subjects that are both intricate and sensitive are presented warmly and accessibly, and in the midst of beautiful artwork. I would recommend this to any parent who wants their child to have a better, broader understanding of people.
jess
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This book is awesome & I beg you to read it. Let us dismantle, disrupt and rebuilt together, friends. ...more
Matthew Moulton
Feb 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Who is this book supposed to be for exactly? I mean if it's for children why are they using words like "identity" and "option"... those aren't exactly elementary school level words.

If the book was meant for children they should be using words like "self" and "choice". Further, if a book is meant to teach a child something you can't just come right out and start blurting out hash tags and transsexual talking points, like the idea is to try and be ~subversive~ about it, to try and teach the child
Skyler
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Meet Polkadot, the first installment in the "Polkadot" series, is one reason why I still have faith in humanity. Through the use of bright, kid-friendly illustrations, author and illustrator Talcott Broadhead takes readers on an educational journey about gender, acceptance, and what it means to be an ally. The main character, Polkadot, describes for children the Gender Binary and details how people often do not readily accept children who do not associate with either gender identity (boy or girl ...more
Elizabeth
I was excited about this book but on actually reading it was disappointed. I felt like it got sort of bogged down in explaining. Though honestly, wtf even is gender -- I'm a cisgender woman, but I couldn't explain to you what makes female/woman/girl feel "right" to me as my gender identity, so why am I expecting a book to be able to explain it in a really accessible way to children? And I do appreciate the basic message that "gender identity is what YOU know to be true about your own gender."
Amber
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ok, I wanted to love this book so much. And maybe for adults or older kids it's an ok book, but my almost 5 year old child (who is gender nonconforming) found it incredibly boring. We didn't even make it through the book. It is extraordinarily didactic. It doesn't have much of a story, but rather is a lesson on terminology and concepts - which is useful, but not very appealing to the younger crowd. Luckily, there are more great books with engaging stories coming out that feature nonbinary childr ...more
Sara Monsonis
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read Polakadot to my 7 year old who loved it, and days later was able to express what gender identity was. Later in the week I read it to my advisory group of 9th graders in school who loved it. It is a book that can teach people of all ages... but in a fun and approachable way. Read it!
Ryan
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very well told story of acceptance and personal identity. The book is also well illustrated. The topics covered in the book require a developed conversation between parent and child, and although the conversation could be challenging it is very very necessary.
Eli
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about a gender variant child. Would recommend to everyone.
Will
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am reviewing the version with a forward by Dark Matter. This book is written for all ages and although it does use terminology and words that many people (children and adults) may not understand at first, I don't see this as a negative. I think this book treats the reader as an intelligent and open listener and it provides talking points and terms that will likely inspire further reading and learning--which is awesome. This book is written in a way that does not make a mockery of the potential ...more
Molly
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
This book attempts to explain gender identity, the unique challenges faced by transgender people and being an ally through a young person named Polkadot, who doesn't identify as boy or girl, their sister, Gladiola, and their friend, Norma Alicia.

First, I want to say that I completely appreciate what this book is trying to do: introduce the concepts of gender identity, being transgender and allyship to young children. This is a wonderful and important goal. However, I am sorry to say that I think
Calvin Read
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An educational picture book that will likely need a lot of explaining of certain terms. Age appropriate ideas with age inappropriate terms. Not enough explanation for younger audiences, IMO
Danni Green
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genderawesome, r4k
Sweet book, good message, but seemed more for the adult reading the book than for the child they’re reading it to.
Cassandra Werner
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book starts off with a story about a child named Polkadot. The book introduces them as not only a transgender person, but initially as an individual and a part of a loving family. The book is outlined as a conversation between Polkadot and their sister, discussing the concept of gender in our society, in a way that is easy for kids to understand.
This book is an amazing example of how to bring proper terminology into a children's book. This is an informational book that would work well for
Suzanne
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Meet Polkadot provides a lucid and accessible introduction to gender identity and what it means to identify outside of the gender binary. My five-year-old was raptly attentive through most of the book, and it generated some great discussion!

The last few pages of the book get pretty dense with text, though, and we ended up skipping most of it. Personally, I also found the art a bit off-putting, and it's sometimes a little hard to figure out who is talking on any given page.

But overall, it's a v
Sara
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am really happy that a book like this exists, at long last. Accessible enough for children, but informative enough that I learned something from it -- anyone who wants their kid to grow up understanding what gender identity is and means, and not be afraid and confused by it, should read this book. It is sweet and non-condescending, informative and whimsical.
DK Smyth

• I Am Jazz
  • When Aidan Became A Brother
  • The Royal Heart
  • It Feels Good to Be Yourself: A Book about Gender Identity
  • My Dad Thinks I'm a Boy?!
  • Backwards Day
  • Jamie Is Jamie: A Book About Being Yourself and Playing Your Way
  • Neither
  • When You Look Out the Window: How Phyllis Lyon and Del Martin Built a Community
  • The First Rule of Punk
  • How to Write an Autobiographical Novel: Essays
  • They She He Me: Free to Be!
  • Introducing Teddy: A Gentle Story About Gender and Friendship
  • Julián Is a Mermaid
  • Jacob's New Dress
  • Rough, Tough Charley
  • When Leonard Lost His Spots: A Trans Parent Tail
  • Dreamers
Author, activist, therapist, parent, Social Worker, artist.

I hold a Master of Social Work degree from the University of Washington School of Social Work and my clinical emphasis is on serving Transgender folks and their Significant Others, Friends, Families and Allies. I a passionate activist who seeks to center Liberation and justice in all that I do.

I provide competency trainings to Medical pro

News & Interviews