Start by marking “Warchild” as Want to Read:
Warchild

Warchild

(Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #7)

A message left behind by the Kai Opaka gives Commander Benjamin Sisko a fateful mission: find a young Bajoran girl destined to be a great healer who could bring together the warring factions of Bajor. While Lt. Dax tries to find the healer, Dr. Bashir goes planetside to treat a rare disease that is killing the children in Bajor's resettlement camps.

Surrounded by thousands
Mass Market Paperback, 1st, 272 pages
Published September 1994 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Warchild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warchild

David Sarkies
Apr 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Die hard Star Trek fans
Recommended to David by: A friend named Daniel
Shelves: sci-fi
Some further musings on Deep Space 9
10 April 2012

Well, this seems to be the first DS9 book that does not involve Odo tracking down a murderer that is lose on the station. It seems that the publishers may have realised that this plot device had become so common that people were beginning to get sick of it. Then again, it seemed that the three words of the first and only review I read of this book said 'disappointing at best'. It involves a plague sweeping Bajor and our hero Doctor Bashir has to
Daniel Devereux
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had to give this one four stars if only for the fact that I didn't notice the subversion. It took me a hot minute to put the pieces together but it was long before the reveal. This did show more of Bajoran culture but it was sparse, I'm sure I won't be happy unless I read one that is filled with politics and intrigue.

This is the first one that wasn't about a murderer on the station and I think that is the reason I liked this one so much. As they say verity is the spice of life.

Quotes and comme
Tina
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ibis3
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of Bajoran religious nuttery
Recommended to Ibis3 by: bookbox
I'm not the biggest fan of DS9, but hey, a ST novel is a ST novel. This one wasn't so badly written as some I've encountered, but the premise was extremely dull. I really have no patience for the whole mystical Bajoran monk thing. So at about 120 pages in I decided just to skim the rest. It got a little more interesting but a lot more silly. (view spoiler) ...more
Dianah
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 100-books, star-trek
Oh how I really wanted to like this book! The story sounds like it will be a Bashir fest. There's a strange fever is sweeping through the Bajoran refugee camps. Super! Unfortunately, at times the book makes it sound like Bashir couldn't diagnose a cold without Dax's help and long sections of the book deal with a Bajoran prophecy, a down on his luck Ferengi, and O'Brien's dislike for Cardassian technology. (Speaking of which, the runabouts are Federation ships, not Cardassians causing a very faul ...more
jacky
Dec 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
I got this out of the Reading library as a teenager because I had a small crush on the guy who played Bashir and he is on the cover of this book. I tried to read it, but several things were working against me. First, I just wasn't as into DS9 as I was TNG. Second, I am not a big Sci Fi reader. Lastly, in this book Bashir's character wasn't the primary focus, if I remember correctly.
Angela
A decent story about refugee camps, politics, and prophecy. Just one major problem that stopped this being 4 stars: the runabouts are not Cardassian made. It sounds a small niggle but its not because a lot of the plot depends on the ineffeciency of the runabouts, and in the series they are very efficient.
Denise
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Finally a DS9 novel that doesn't involve Odo tracking a murderer on the station. While the whole Bajoran mysticism thing has never been one of my favourite aspects of the series, this was still an enjoyable story.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
How many prophesied children can the Bajorans possibly have? Apparently, a lot. This was a fun read, but the strength was in the cast of characters rather than the plotting. I suppose, though, that that is better than the other way around.
Craig
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This was okay for a Star Trek book. Jillian's character felt a little strange to me the way he was written, but over all it wasn't bad. The story was interesting. Trying to find a child that would become a great healer for Bajor. Bashir and Dax are too if my favorite characters too!
Aaron
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek-ds9
Good points: It deals with the fate of many Bajorans living on Bajor after the withdrawal which really isn't dealt with that much in the TV series.

Bad points: The story really isn't that good or gripping. The second half of the book seemed to drag.
Craig
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
More like Star Trek: Problem Child. It all tied together in the end but felt very disconnected throughout.
Esa Ruoho
Oct 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Star Trek by the numbers. You read this, if you like Star Trek DS9.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DS9 Dr Bashir on Bajor with refugees and mystics
Jeff Green
It was a descent read, but didn't have enough Garak or Farangi characters moments.
rivka
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it

One of the better DS9 novels. Probable re-read.
sunnygecko
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not great. Not terrible. The writing isn't bad and the plot is reasonable though incredibly slow, especially the first half.
Jordan Maywood
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hello!

For my review of this book on a podcast no less you can go here:

Thanks All!
Emilyf11
Jul 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
A good book for dr bashir fans. An interesting read of ds9 before the dominion war
Jesse Lehrer
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wanted to give this book a 3...but Bashir is a main focus and god he is just so awful. His character would be good....if he just actually LEARNED that he SHOULDN'T be a disgusting sexist asshole.

The book has a solid plot, it's great to see the realities of the worst off Bajorans, it's always cool seeing the real world Bajoran mysticism in action, and seeing Bashir actually do his job in the face of real challenge is always nice. But Bashir and his ego and his horrible interactions with women are
Jason Vargo
Man, I was with this story about a savior of the Bajoran people foretold in a prophecy for about half the story. And then it implodes in on itself, with a useless Jake/Nog subplot and a Quark/random Ferengi...thing...all the while limping to an obvious "revelation."

The part of the story that is endlessly fascinating deals with Bashir and Dax in a Bajoran refugee camp treating children afflicted with a disease. It's not the most original plot ever, but Esther Friesner gets down deep into the hear
Daniel Kukwa
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
There's a lot of potential goodness here about life in early post-occupation Bajor, but it's all sent askew by the problem that blights most of the first generation of DS9 novels: an inability to capture the characters of the crew & the details of the era. It really feels as if the early DS9 authors couldn't get a grip on the series, as opposed to the TNG authors who figured it out by the release of the third novelization. I forced myself to finish this...and I shouldn't have to.
Jerome Maida
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A interesting, character-driven story that stands out because while most of the major cast are in character, the focus is on a special Bajoran child, her brother and Dr. Bashir and the political and religious implications of her life or death. Very, very cool. Makes me wish we had seen these kids and some of the religious Bajoran adults pop back up on the show! A very engrossing read!
Elsa Naumann
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. It added a depth to characters and made them seem very human in their personalities. The plot was interesting enough and the story gave insight into Bajoran politics.
Sharon
Sep 20, 2014
Rae
Jun 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Antimatter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8)
  • Proud Helios (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #9)
  • Devil in the Sky
  • The Big Game (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #4)
  • Betrayal (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #6)
  • Bloodletter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Fallen Heroes (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #5)
  • Valhalla (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #10)
  • Station Rage (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #13)
  • The Siege (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #2)
  • Saratoga (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #18)
  • Emissary
  • The Long Night (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #14)
  • Laertian Gamble (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #12)
  • The Heart of the Warrior (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #17)
  • Trial by Error (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #21)
  • The Tempest (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #19)
  • Objective: Bajor (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #15)
Esther M. Friesner was educated at Vassar College, where she completed B.A's in both Spanish and Drama. She went to on to Yale University; within five years she was awarded an M.A. and Ph.D. in Spanish. She taught Spanish at Yale for a number of years before going on to become a full-time author of fantasy and science fiction. She has published twenty-seven novels so far; her most recent titles in ...more

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • Emissary
  • The Siege (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #2)
  • Bloodletter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • The Big Game (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #4)
  • Fallen Heroes (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #5)
  • Betrayal (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #6)
  • Antimatter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8)
  • Proud Helios (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #9)
  • Valhalla (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #10)
  • Devil in the Sky